Stop opening multiple versions of Excel when click on xls files

Excel 2002 SP3
Win XP HE

Hi,

If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel
and opens the file.

However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file
within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up
a new instance of Excel.

So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running
simultaneously.  It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and
would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in
question once Excel is already opened, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0
notvalid1 (96)
6/28/2007 6:55:51 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Jun 28, 2:55 pm, stef <notva...@nomail.nul> wrote:
> Excel 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE
>
> Hi,
>
> If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel
> and opens the file.
>
> However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file
> within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up
> a new instance of Excel.
>
> So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running
> simultaneously.  It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and
> would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in
> question once Excel is already opened, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

You are not opening multiple copies of Excel, though you _do_ see each
opened workbook represented in your Start Bar.  This is a convenience
that Excel introduces so that you can task-switch between spreadsheets
more easily.

By way of illustration, try to close one of the many "instances" of
Excel that you have open.  If you close the application (rather than
just the workbook) you'll notice that ALL of your workbooks will close
down.  This is because there is only one EXCEL running.

If I am not correct please repost.

Brian Herbert Withun

0
bhwithun (29)
6/28/2007 7:27:56 PM
If it truly separate instances of Excel and just new windows in one instance

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

Tools>Options>General  uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:55:51 -0700, stef <notvalid@nomail.nul> wrote:

>Excel 2002 SP3
>Win XP HE
>
>Hi,
>
>If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel
>and opens the file.
>
>However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file
>within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up
>a new instance of Excel.
>
>So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running
>simultaneously.  It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and
>would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in
>question once Excel is already opened, etc.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

0
Gord
6/28/2007 7:37:07 PM
Tools>options>general, make sure ignore other applications is not checked

if that doesn't work you might want to re-register excel

close Excel

1) Windows>Start>Run, copy and paste

excel.exe /unregserver

then click OK

2) Windows>Start>Run copy and paste

excel.exe /regserver

click OK

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"stef" <notvalid@nomail.nul> wrote in message
> Excel 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE
>
> Hi,
>
> If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel
> and opens the file.
>
> However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file
> within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up a
> new instance of Excel.
>
> So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running
> simultaneously.  It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and
> would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in question
> once Excel is already opened, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

0
terre081 (3244)
6/28/2007 7:45:07 PM
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:37:07 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>If it truly separate instances of Excel and just new windows in one instance

Should be "not just new windows"

Gord

0
Gord
6/28/2007 7:59:10 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the comprehensive replies.
I do understand what you are saying and will check again on whether
really separate instances of Excel of just windows.
I do believe that multiple instances DO occur at times, as when I try to
right click Excel in taskbar to "close group", it just won't at
times--which would indicate to me (unless I am mistaken) that there are
indeed several instances of Excel running.
But again, I will check further and apply the  solutions that all of you
guys kindly posted.
I'll post again here with result.

stef wrote:
> Excel 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE
>
> Hi,
>
> If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel
> and opens the file.
>
> However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file
> within Windows Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up
> a new instance of Excel.
>
> So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running
> simultaneously.  It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and
> would like to see if I can find a way of only opening the file in
> question once Excel is already opened, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
0
notvalid1 (96)
6/28/2007 9:38:03 PM
Stef,

Maybe it's just the "Windows in taskbar" option in Tools - Options - View.  That puts each
workbook on the TaskBar and lets you Alt-Tab as if it each workbook is a separate
application.  Could that be giving you the appearance of separate instances of Excel?
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

    Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
    Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
    But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
    already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
    When in Rome...
"stef" <notvalid@nomail.nul> wrote in message
> Excel 2002 SP3
> Win XP HE
>
> Hi,
>
> If I click on an xls file in Windows Explorer, it properly starts Excel and opens the
> file.
>
> However, if I need another file opened, and click on another xls file within Windows
> Explorer, instead of opening the file only, it starts up a new instance of Excel.
>
> So I can find myself with 3 or 4 (or more) instances of Excel running simultaneously.
> It's not a huge problem but I believe not necessary and would like to see if I can find a
> way of only opening the file in question once Excel is already opened, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

0
someone798 (944)
6/28/2007 11:05:27 PM
Earl,
Yes, I checked and I DO have Windows in taskbar enabled.
I noticed that when that is enabled, you cannot close the "group" by
right clicking on Excel in the taskbar and "close group" which may have
given me the impression that there are multiple instances of Excel
running...?

Earl Kiosterud wrote:
> Stef,
>
> Maybe it's just the "Windows in taskbar" option in Tools - Options - View.  That puts each
> workbook on the TaskBar and lets you Alt-Tab as if it each workbook is a separate
> application.  Could that be giving you the appearance of separate instances of Excel?
0
notvalid1 (96)
6/29/2007 6:02:33 AM
Stef,

The taskbar buttons represent the document (workbook) windows, not the application (Excel)
window, it seems.  With multiple workbooks open, and any with the focus, File - Exit or
Alt-F4 should cause Excel to close, closing all the the workbooks first.  I think if it
happens that way on your system, it'll confirm that there's only one instance of Excel
running.
--

"stef" <notvalid@nomail.nul> wrote in message news:Ot2JZMhuHHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Earl,
> Yes, I checked and I DO have Windows in taskbar enabled.
> I noticed that when that is enabled, you cannot close the "group" by right clicking on
> Excel in the taskbar and "close group" which may have given me the impression that there
> are multiple instances of Excel running...?
>
> Earl Kiosterud wrote:
>> Stef,
>>
>> Maybe it's just the "Windows in taskbar" option in Tools - Options - View.  That puts
>> each workbook on the TaskBar and lets you Alt-Tab as if it each workbook is a separate
>> application.  Could that be giving you the appearance of separate instances of Excel?

0
someone798 (944)

How to export Notes to Excel
Hi all, I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? Thanks -- phumulaniluyandacollinlembede Navigate to Advanced Find and select 'Notes', then export as necessary/appropriate.... -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "Phumulani" wrote: > Hi all, > > I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i > do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? > > Thanks > -- > phumulaniluyandacollinlembede ...

Excel not Access

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

multiple Domain name delivery problem