status bar sum function

[excel 2000]

on status bar, you amy select function to present, for example, sum of
selected cells
problem is that on my excel, there is written "total sum=2E+06", which is
very un-accurate
obviously, exponential form is chosen by the reason of large number of
digits in number

but, it is a sad thing that the most part of the field is occupied by the
fixed text "total sum=" [in my localized language version, this text is even
longer]

it would be much more clever to keep all diggits displayed, and in the case
of space shortage, to shorten the fixed text, wouldn't it?

so, question is:
is there some way to customize the display format on that status bar field?

thnx!

0
sali (7)
10/11/2007 11:50:53 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel appears to use the number format you set in the Normal style.  Go into
Format, Style to change it.

--
Jim
"sali" <sali@euroherc.hr> wrote in message
| [excel 2000]
|
| on status bar, you amy select function to present, for example, sum of
| selected cells
| problem is that on my excel, there is written "total sum=2E+06", which is
| very un-accurate
| obviously, exponential form is chosen by the reason of large number of
| digits in number
|
| but, it is a sad thing that the most part of the field is occupied by the
| fixed text "total sum=" [in my localized language version, this text is
even
| longer]
|
| it would be much more clever to keep all diggits displayed, and in the
case
| of space shortage, to shorten the fixed text, wouldn't it?
|
| so, question is:
| is there some way to customize the display format on that status bar
field?

| thnx!

0
jrrech (1932)
10/11/2007 1:06:07 PM
Just to add to Jim's response...

First, styles live in workbooks, so you'll have to change the normal style in
every workbook that you want this behavior.

Second, I wouldn't do this if you're going to enter dates and you don't want to
change the format from that new Normal Style back to a date (same thing with
times and currency and ...).

--

Dave Peterson
0

it works as it has now a fixed number format
well, having to change every worksheet is not a such a bad idea, since
special number format is quite a rare occasion, and a general format is
preserved

but, is it possible to avoid *text* part of sum field display? the text
"total sum="?
having it dissappear completely, or just minimized to few letters should
leave plenty of room for number display, and number display is the real
purpose of that status bar field, isn't it?

thnx!

"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:470E22BD.BB07C423@verizonXSPAM.net...
> Just to add to Jim's response...
>
> First, styles live in workbooks, so you'll have to change the normal style
> in
> every workbook that you want this behavior.
>
> Second, I wouldn't do this if you're going to enter dates and you don't
> want to
> change the format from that new Normal Style back to a date (same thing
> with
> times and currency and ...).
>

> Jim Rech wrote:
>>
>> Excel appears to use the number format you set in the Normal style.  Go
>> into
>> Format, Style to change it.
>>
>> --
> Dave Peterson

0
sali (7)
10/11/2007 2:02:10 PM
>>is it possible to avoid *text* part

Afraid not, sorry.

--
| thnx
|
| it works as it has now a fixed number format
| well, having to change every worksheet is not a such a bad idea, since
| special number format is quite a rare occasion, and a general format is
| preserved
|
| but, is it possible to avoid *text* part of sum field display? the text
| "total sum="?
| having it dissappear completely, or just minimized to few letters should
| leave plenty of room for number display, and number display is the real
| purpose of that status bar field, isn't it?
|
| thnx!
|
| "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
| grupi:470E22BD.BB07C423@verizonXSPAM.net...
| > Just to add to Jim's response...
| >
| > First, styles live in workbooks, so you'll have to change the normal
style
| > in
| > every workbook that you want this behavior.
| >
| > Second, I wouldn't do this if you're going to enter dates and you don't
| > want to
| > change the format from that new Normal Style back to a date (same thing
| > with
| > times and currency and ...).
| >

| > Jim Rech wrote:
| >>
| >> Excel appears to use the number format you set in the Normal style.  Go
| >> into
| >> Format, Style to change it.
| >>
| >> --
| > Dave Peterson

0
jrrech (1932)
10/11/2007 3:17:22 PM
ok.

just to mention [just as a wish], it would be fantastic if could be
controlable like some of the application properties [like
application.statusbar is].
the calculaton of display value could be controlled through the worksheet
selection change event

"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:OVWkPnBDIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>is it possible to avoid *text* part
>
> Afraid not, sorry.
>
> --
> Jim
> "sali" <sali@euroherc.hr> wrote in message
> | thnx
> |
> | it works as it has now a fixed number format
> | well, having to change every worksheet is not a such a bad idea, since
> | special number format is quite a rare occasion, and a general format is
> | preserved
> |
> | but, is it possible to avoid *text* part of sum field display? the text
> | "total sum="?

0
sali (7)

Adding if to Average If Array function
Hi, I recently had help understanding the following formula {=IF(ISERROR(AVERAGE(IF(Score>0,Score))),"",AVERAGE(IF(Score>0,Score)))} Thanks to Luke M, Pete UK and David Biddulph who provided the explanation. I've now been asked to add to this formula so that if either Q3 or Q4 is greater than 4 then the average cannot be lower than 3. Q1:Q35 is the named range score. This is really complicated because I still need to have an average and I'm thinking that the If part is non array but the average part still needs to be an array. Can you mix and match ...

I am looking for a function for linear interpolation
I am looking for a function for linear interpolation Look in HELP for the LINEST() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "azad" <azad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C53A752C-DF76-4B9F-9145-6F39495088B7@microsoft.com... >I am looking for a function for linear interpolation ...

Verticle Scroll Bar Not Displayed as Expected
I have a form with a text box. The text box properties are set to allow verticle scroll bars. The text box margins (L/R/T/B) are set to .02". This is to allow reading the entries easier. This is causing the scroll bar for the text box NOT to show, but when I set the margins to 0", the scroll bar appears. Is this a known bug? Any work-arounds? I've never had to use scroll bars, but I'm pretty sure I've seen here or elsewhere that the scrollbar will only appear if the data in the control is large enough to require the scrollbar in order to be viewed. Setting the ...

Can I use the NOW() function in a formula?
I have a cell B1 that has NOW() time and another cell B2 that has NOW() date. I am trying to have data from another cell F1 brought in to the destination cell B3, when a given date and time occur. =(IF(AND(B1="23:00:00",B2="12/03/2009"),F1," ") This formulas does not work. The Clock is continuously active / always changing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. The NOW() function returns both a date and a time. Even if you format the cell to display only date/time, all the data is still retained. NOte that if you did want just the d...

Summing with nulls
My statement select sum(column) from ( select column from table union select column2 from table2) as T Now the second part of the union returns a null. How do i sum with a null i have tried using case when then end but this does not work. The sum does return a value but it is incorrect. When the second part of the union statement is null i want to get the sum of the first part. Thanks try it with "isnull" select sum(isnull(column,0)) from yourtable "Cdudej" <jedfletcher1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5df50a11-89a7-42d6-b92b-e611910394e6@k19g200...

System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden
I have crm 3.0 installed on Windows server 2003 with sp1 and I have problem. When I opennnig the crm web site I see error... please help... Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: ...

Sum function
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for a business plan and am having problems with the autsum and autofill functions. Firstly, even though I do a simple autosum, if I change a value in a cell, the sum does not change. Secondly, if I try to autofill across columns, the values of those columns simply mirror the value of the first. In other words it copies it. I am at a loss how to get round it as I have been working w Excel for years and have never had this problem. I have experimented with a new worksheet with ...

SUM cells in column based upon criteria in two others.
Can not seem to put together a formula that accomplishes the following: Column J contains contributions by individuals for 2010 Column I contains contributions by individuals made in 2009 Column N contains an indicator (+ - or 0) of the increase or decrease over the two years Column P contains a designation of which members are new members. I need a formula that looks at column I cells against column J cells, totals the contributions made be each of the criteria in column N, but does NOT include those with any designation in column P. Example of the data: I ...

Need help with correct function or input for this problem/scenario
I have a situation where I am creating a borrowing base for a company. (I am going to shorten numbers to make it easier.) There is a $300 loan. Type A loan can borrow up to $300. Type B loan can borrow up to $150. Type C loan can borrow up to $50. I need a formula to input in excel that will give me a borrowing base for type B and C loans. For example, to borrow in type B loans, I have to check 1-what's outstanding on the entire loan. 2-what's outstanding on type B loans. 3-Take those two numbers and figure out what can be advanced under the answer to those questions. (I.E. $2...

can't get "sum" to add up properly
Hi, I'd appreciate any help with my problem. I have the following A B C 1 Benefit Coverage Amount Monthly Premium 2 Employee Life .21/$1,000 $67,000.00 $14.07 3 Dependent Life (if applicable) family $2.00 4 Employee AD&D .04/$1,000$67,000.00 $2.68 5 LTD 2.58/100 $1,529.00 $39.45 6 Dental family 47.86 7 Health family 48.90 8 EAP (if applicable) yes $2.20 9 ...

sum function usin an IF statement
Bit short on detail, but maybe =IF(rng>10,rng) as an array formula, committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter or =IF(rng1>some_val,rng2) again an array formula, where rng1 and rng2 are the same size. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "jimk" <jimk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2873BFCF-598E-4956-808C-31C1638741A9@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I make a vertical floating bar chart?
I want to make a floating bar chart in Excel, but I want the bars to be orientated vertically rather than the horizontal default. In other words, I want the range of the floating bars to be displayed on the y-axis rather than the x-axis. Can anyone help me? Shane Stamschror Hi, You need to use a stacked column chart with 2 series. The first series provides the 'float'. Format this series to have no fill or border. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "danke_shane" <danke_shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Using Filter string with IF function
Is there a way to use a filter string with the IF function? I have a spreadsheet that looks like this: Invoice No. Invoice Date Invoice Currency Invoice Value 1 dd/mm/yyyy USD 1234.56 65 dd/mm/yyyy USD 2345.67 74 dd/mm/yyyy EUR 3456.78 88 dd/mm/yyyy USD 4567.89 when I filter on the currency: is there a function such as if(filter_string="USD";TRUE;FALSE)??? Thanks Aref Maybe this: Assuming row 1 are t...

Summing the # of records
I have a spreadsheet that is has 10 groups. In the header of each group I'd like to total the # of records in that particular group, and at the bottom of the spreadsheet total the # of records in all groups combined. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!! -- matt330 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ matt330's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28176 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477503 What designates a group? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the e...

Trying to do progress bar
I have a Form with a progress bar and a thread that should update the progress every quarter of a second. The operation being monitored for progress on is a file loading job. So I start off the monitor like this: long currprogress = 0; FileInfo info = new FileInfo(currFile); long maxprogress = info.Length / 100; bool IsMonitoring = true; Thread monitor = new Thread(new ThreadStart(RunMonitor)); monitor.Start(); (the scope of these variables is class level though, just made them local scope for easier reading) Then my RunMonitor method looks like: private void RunMonit...

Menu Bar disappeared
No matter what I do I can't get the menu bar back even though the settings are set at Standard and Advance. I need to get the File, Edit, View line back. Please help. Close Outlook - find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. Reopen Outlook - better? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Cynthia asked: | No matter what I do I can't get the menu bar ba...

And function into If function
I´m trying to get this function to work. But I´m getting an error message. =If(and(100/I6)*I7>101); I7<I6; 1; 0) What the function is supposed to do is to detect peak values in chart table that are measure errors from a measuring intrument and count every peak as 1. This is how the function is ment to operate: If the percent of the difference of the rise from the former cell to the next cell in the sequence of data is larger than 101% AND the value of this cell is smaller than the former cell then true=1 False=0 Im using a norwegian version of excel and I´m no...

add individual data points to a bar chart of averages
I have groups of data points in categories. I can easily calculate the average in each category and show these as a bar chart, but is it possible to show the individual data pioints in each category as well? Thanks, Hi, How are you plotting the data points - as columns or line? and also could you show us dummy data layed out so we can understand what you data looks like. If you plot a clustered column chart you could show the average for each cluster as a line within the cluster or as a single point. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "lenos" wrote: > I have groups of dat...

Another Issue With A Function
Ron Rothstein suggested and I used this function in my Excel 2003 Workbook: Public Function QBRushYds(W, Q) QBRushYds = Worksheets("Week" & W).Range("C2").Offset(Q).Value / 10 End Function In Worksheet Totals Cell B56 thru B59 I have the following four calculations: =TRUNC(QBRushYds(1,1)) =TRUNC(QBRushYds(1,2)) =TRUNC(QBRushYds(1,3)) =TRUNC(QBRushYds(1,4)) In Worksheet Week1 Cells C3 thru C6 I have the following values: 725 814 283 9 The function correctly calculates the values: 72 81 28 0 If I change any of the values in C3 th...

Sum Function (was summing 13 cells to the left)
Trying to compose a formula that will only sum 13 cells to the left (13 months of data). When columns are added, I still only want to sum thirteens months of data. Can this be done without constanty changing my formulas? Make sense TIA Neil S. Hi see my reply to your old post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Neil S. wrote: > Trying to compose a formula that will only sum 13 cells to the left > (13 months of data). When columns are added, I still only want to > sum thirteens months of data. Can this be done without constanty > changing my formulas? Make sense? ...

Invalid Argument when changing status of e-mail
I have created a very simple workflow to change the status of an e-mail to completed. But when I run it, nothing happens and there is a red cross with "Invalid argument" when I open the failed workflow in system jobs. Anyone know how to fix this? Regards, Lars We installed the update rollup and now it's working. "LarsL" wrote: > I have created a very simple workflow to change the status of an e-mail to > completed. But when I run it, nothing happens and there is a red cross with > "Invalid argument" when I open the failed workflow in system j...

If, say, =SUM(I2:I10) totals "0", how to change formula to put a "0" in I11?
I know this is going to be simple but everything I've not got anything to work. How can we change formula, pls, to have "=SUM(I2:I10)" show up as "0" in I11 if there aren't any values anywhere in I2 to I10? Thanks. :oD If there are no values to sum the formula should already be returning 0. What result are you getting? Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:OV$7dJLnHHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I know this is going to be simple but everything I've not got anything to >work. How can we change f...

Can an Access PivotChart display standard deviation error bars?
I'm using Office 2003 in a medical device field to manage a quality assurance database. The engineers who will be using the database need to know the statistical significance of all data, and it is standard to show all charts with standard deviation, percentile, or max/min plots. I'd like to be able to make a PivotChart view that gives this information, but have not been able to find a way of displaying custom error bars calculated for each data point (as is possible for static charts in Excel, by selecting a data range for the "Custom" error bar data fields). This p...

Hlookup function
I am currently creating a page that has a column of calculations in it. The calculations are amounts of Future options. at the bottom of the column I calculate an average 6 month total by simply suming 6 months into the future. The question I have is how do I automate the Total sum number at the bottom, because every time I update my worksheet I have to redo all my calculations because the previous months value is now 0 because there is no future value anymore, so I have to rename my range and do my calculation over again. I originally thought of the Hlookup function but I can't get it to ...

Rank Function? #2
Why would my RANK function be returning #DIV/0! ???? Didn't know this was possible. Anybody run into this before? Thanks!! > Didn't know this was possible It isn't - so Excel is saying that you are trying to do the impossible :) Your code will probably need to check for and exclude zero values -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...