Start a file at a defaulted worksheet/cell?

Howdy,

Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default
worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing...

Regards,
Kevin

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("C3").Select
End Sub

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default
> worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing...
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

0
newspab (272)
6/27/2004 3:44:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Paul...

Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with "code."  Can you direct me there
please...

Thanks again,
Kevin

"Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> Sheets("Sheet2").Select
>     Range("C3").Select
> End Sub
>
> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> Using Excel 2000 & 97
> ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default
> > worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before
playing...

> > Regards,
> > Kevin

Kevin,

The code must be entered in the code window of the workbook,

- open the VBA Editor - Alt+F11
- in the Project Browser (View>Project Browser if not already visible), find the
workbook name and expand it until you see "ThisWorkbook"
- double-click ThisWorkbook (window name should be <YourWorkbookName -
ThisWorkbook (Code)) and paste the code:

'*****
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
    Range("A1").Select
End Sub
-*****

- save, close and re-open the file; it will land in A1 on Sheet1, adjust to
suit.

HTH
Anders Silven

"Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Thanks for the reply Paul...
>
> Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with "code."  Can you direct me there
> please...
>
> Thanks again,
> Kevin
>

> "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> > Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code
> >
> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > Sheets("Sheet2").Select
> >     Range("C3").Select
> > End Sub
> >
> > --
> > Paul B
> > Always backup your data before trying something new
> > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> > Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> > Using Excel 2000 & 97
> > ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default
> > > worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before
> playing...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kevin

I must be brain fart'n cause it is not working for me.....  It took me a sec
to figure out where to go, and I even put the code in a few places to test
it.... to no avail however.  Any further suggestions, perhaps you can send
me a little example....  You have me e-mail addy below...

ty, Kev

"Anders Silven" <anders_silvenblaha@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> The code must be entered in the code window of the workbook,
>
> - open the VBA Editor - Alt+F11
> - in the Project Browser (View>Project Browser if not already visible),
find the
> workbook name and expand it until you see "ThisWorkbook"
> - double-click ThisWorkbook (window name should be <YourWorkbookName -
> ThisWorkbook (Code)) and paste the code:
>
> '*****
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
>     Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
>     Range("A1").Select
> End Sub
> -*****
>
> - save, close and re-open the file; it will land in A1 on Sheet1, adjust
> suit.
>
> HTH
> Anders Silven
>
> "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > Thanks for the reply Paul...
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with "code."  Can you direct me
there
> > please...
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Kevin
> >

> > "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> > > Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code
> > >
> > > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > > Sheets("Sheet2").Select
> > >     Range("C3").Select
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul B
> > > Always backup your data before trying something new
> > > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from
it
> > > Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> > > Using Excel 2000 & 97
> > > ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> > > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > playing...

Kevin,
To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and
pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open
the VBA editor, in the left hand window double click on thisworkbook, under
your workbook name, and paste the code in the window that opens on the right
hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your
workbook, now this will run every time you open the workbook. If you are
using  excel 2000 or newer you may have to change the macro security
settings to get the macro to run. Per your request I also sent you a file
with it in it

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("C3").Select
End Sub

--
> I must be brain fart'n cause it is not working for me.....  It took me a
sec
> to figure out where to go, and I even put the code in a few places to test
> it.... to no avail however.  Any further suggestions, perhaps you can send
> me a little example....  You have me e-mail addy below...
>
> ty, Kev
>
> "Anders Silven" <anders_silvenblaha@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message
> > Kevin,
> >
> > The code must be entered in the code window of the workbook,
> >
> > - open the VBA Editor - Alt+F11
> > - in the Project Browser (View>Project Browser if not already visible),
> find the
> > workbook name and expand it until you see "ThisWorkbook"
> > - double-click ThisWorkbook (window name should be <YourWorkbookName -
> > ThisWorkbook (Code)) and paste the code:
> >
> > '*****
> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> >     Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
> >     Range("A1").Select
> > End Sub
> > -*****
> >
> > - save, close and re-open the file; it will land in A1 on Sheet1, adjust
> > suit.
> >
> > HTH
> > Anders Silven
> >
> > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > Thanks for the reply Paul...
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with "code."  Can you direct me
> there
> > > please...
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > > Kevin
> > >

> > > "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message

> it

> > > playing...

0
newspab (272)
6/28/2004 12:09:44 AM
I lowered my security to enable or disable macros and now I get a:

Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range.

Making progress anyways...

Kev

P.S. I didn't get that file?  there are two underscores in my e-mail addy...

> [...]
> > > workbook name and expand it until you see "ThisWorkbook"
> > > - double-click ThisWorkbook (window name should be <YourWorkbookName -
> > > ThisWorkbook (Code)) and paste the code:
> > >
> > > '*****
> > > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > >     Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
> > >     Range("A1").Select
> > > End Sub
> > > -*****
> > >
> > > - save, close and re-open the file; it will land in A1 on Sheet1,
adjust
> > > suit.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Anders Silven
> > >
> > > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet

> > there

> from
> > it

> default

I lowered my security to enable or disable macros and now I get a:

Then when I do a Debug it highlights the Sheets line in yellow... what is
wrong with it?

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
*  Sheets("Sheet2").Select
        Range("A1").Select
    End Sub

Making progress anyways...

Kev

> [...]
> > > ThisWorkbook (Code)) and paste the code:
> > >
> > > '*****
> > > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > >     Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
> > >     Range("A1").Select
> > > End Sub
> > > -*****
> > >
> > > - save, close and re-open the file; it will land in A1 on Sheet1,
adjust
> > > suit.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > Anders Silven
> > >
> > > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet

> > there

> from
> > it

> default

> Run-time error '9':
> Subscript out of range.
>
> Then when I do a Debug it highlights the Sheets line in yellow... what is

If there is not a worksheet named "Sheet2" in the workbook you will get the
above error. Change "Sheet2" to the name of the worksheet you want to show when
the workbook is opened.

Regards,
Anders Silven

Kevin, sent you the file again, but I think if you change the sheet name to
your sheet name as Anders said you will get it to work

--
> I lowered my security to enable or disable macros and now I get a:
>
> Run-time error '9':
> Subscript out of range.
>
> Making progress anyways...
>
> Kev
>
> P.S. I didn't get that file?  there are two underscores in my e-mail
addy...

> "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> > Kevin,
> > To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon
> and
> > pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will
open
> > the VBA editor, in the left hand window double click on thisworkbook,
> under
> > your workbook name, and paste the code in the window that opens on the
> right
> > hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your
> > workbook, now this will run every time you open the workbook. If you are
> > using  excel 2000 or newer you may have to change the macro security
> > settings to get the macro to run. Per your request I also sent you a
file
> > with it in it
> >
> > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > Sheets("Sheet2").Select
> >     Range("C3").Select
> > End Sub
> >

> > --
> > Paul B
> > Always backup your data before trying something new
> > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> > Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> > Using Excel 2000 & 97
> > ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I must be brain fart'n cause it is not working for me.....  It took me
> > sec
> > > to figure out where to go, and I even put the code in a few places to
> test
> > > it.... to no avail however.  Any further suggestions, perhaps you can
> send
> > > me a little example....  You have me e-mail addy below...
> > >
> > > ty, Kev
> > >
> > > "Anders Silven" <anders_silvenblaha@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message

> visible),
> > > find the
<YourWorkbookName -

> adjust

> > > there

> > from
> > > it

> > default

0
newspab (272)
6/28/2004 10:53:57 AM
Thank you Anders,

That was it, I should have known... doh....

Regards,
Kevin

> > Run-time error '9':
> > Subscript out of range.
> >
> > Then when I do a Debug it highlights the Sheets line in yellow... what
is
> > wrong with it?
> >
> >     Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > *  Sheets("Sheet2").Select
> >         Range("A1").Select
> >     End Sub
>
> If there is not a worksheet named "Sheet2" in the workbook you will get
the
> above error. Change "Sheet2" to the name of the worksheet you want to show
when
> the workbook is opened.
>
> Regards,
> Anders Silven

Hi Paul,

Yip that was it...  sometimes it is the simplest thing eh...  lol

Kev

> Kevin, sent you the file again, but I think if you change the sheet name
> your sheet name as Anders said you will get it to work
>
> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> Using Excel 2000 & 97
> ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I lowered my security to enable or disable macros and now I get a:
> >
> > Run-time error '9':
> > Subscript out of range.
> >
> > Making progress anyways...
> >
> > Kev
> >
> > P.S. I didn't get that file?  there are two underscores in my e-mail
> addy...
> >

> > "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> > > Kevin,
> > > To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's
icon
> > and
> > > pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will
> open
> > > the VBA editor, in the left hand window double click on thisworkbook,
> > under
> > > your workbook name, and paste the code in the window that opens on the
> > right
> > > hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your
> > > workbook, now this will run every time you open the workbook. If you
are
> > > using  excel 2000 or newer you may have to change the macro security
> > > settings to get the macro to run. Per your request I also sent you a
> file
> > > with it in it
> > >
> > > Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> > > Sheets("Sheet2").Select
> > >     Range("C3").Select
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > --
> > > Paul B
> > > Always backup your data before trying something new
> > > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from
it
> > > Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> > > Using Excel 2000 & 97
> > > ** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
> > > "Kevin" <cream__puff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > sec
> > test
> > send

> > visible),
> <YourWorkbookName -

> > adjust

> me

> > > from

> > > default

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

PNG files not displayed
Help! I have a problem where PNG files I insert into Publisher aren't correctly displayed. The image place-holder is visible, but no image. Other graphics file-types are fine, but not PNG's. Another user with identical hardware and software can view the same PNG's without problems. I've tried resintalling Office and service packs with no success. However, when printing the publication, the PNG graphics are produced with no problems. I'm running Office 2003 sp 1. Thanks in advance! Casey. Casey <Casey@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utte...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

Problem to open excel file
Hi to all, I have a problem with all excel file. The user can't open all excel file when she did a double click on it. She has this error message : "cannot find the file 'c:\documents and settings\desktop\......test.xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct. And that all required libraries are available" Do you know what can I do to solve the issue?? regards Malcolm Your Excel file association may be lost. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to en...

Process all cells in a (user) selection
I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined selection; Dim aCell As Range For Each aCell In Sheet4.Range("A4:A34") ' Do Stuff Here Next aCell which processes every cell in the A4:A34 Range How do I do the same thing for a selection drawn by the user before pressing my 'Process' button ? Thanks On 05 May 2010 11:10:21 GMT, Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: >I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined >selection; > >Dim aCell As Range >For Each aCell In S...

Importing a Lotus file with a *.123 extension
My company uses Excel 97 and 2000 and we've received a Lotus file with a *.123 extension. Excel will not allow me to open it as it does not have the *.wk? format. I searched the web and while I found numerous people with the same problem I found no one who had the conversion answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Find someone with Lotus ver 9 or higher. Have them open the file, and save it as *.wk4 If you dont have Lotus available and want you can send it to me and I will do it for you Thanks "jim" <jimsto@gorbel.com> wrote in message news:088d01c35...

Excel is creating temp files Help!!!
Hi i have to files in excel, i cant figure it out, whenever i open th files, they create temp files into the same location, when i shut dow the program the temp files are left there. Is their a way to make it so temp files are not saved. Or is their a way to make it so that the creation of temp files i turned off. Thanks jaso -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26182 What do th...

Navigation Bars
I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to publish to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). How do I resolve this?? Answer found in the web group. DavidF "Tom Snyder" <Tom Snyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A55B689-FE9D-4E1E-9B6C-3ED571156D46@microsoft.com... >I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to >publish > to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). > How do I resolve this?? Tony, did you get an answer to this...

How Do I Copy My Outlook Files To My New Computer?
I exported my Outlook files from my old computer and burned them to a CD. During the export process, it asked me three times for a password. When I tried to import these files to my new computer I got "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." Can anyone help? Apart from the fact that Import/Export options often lead to corruption - you should use a simple pst copy - The pst needs to be on the hd and the read only flag off, before In OL attempting to open it. NB not import <aprice6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145746658.84...

How do I Restore old save dbx files back into OE store folder
I have some old dbx files that I saved into a folder in 'My documents' some time ago during earlier OE back ups. I now wish to re-import some of these saved dbx folders back into OE in order to assess some of these emails again. I've been looking at the wed sites 'Inside OE' and 'OE help'. But can't seem find or see the part that will give me directions on how to do this. Some of these saved dbx folders have the same names of existing folders that I'm currently using in OE. So presumably, I'm going to have to do some folder renaming or s...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

referencing to worksheet names in macro for each new worksheet inserted
Hi I created a code to insert new worksheets and rename them according t values on the new worksheet itself. Say in Cell D1, i have th worksheet name. My question is when i want to refer to this worksheet in subsequen coding, how should i code it? For eg, How should i write the ???? for Sheets("????").select? Would creatin the a variable to store the names help? Thanks in advance Ken -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com After inserting your new worksheet set it's name equal to a variable. For example SHEETS.ADD VWORKSHEET = ACTIVESHEET.NAME This method ...

filtering account numbers from a worksheet
I'm new to excel. I have created a spreadsheet containing my newspaper's subscriber list, containing account numbers and addresses. I want to merge another list of subscribers(with account numbers and addresses) with the first list to scrub those addresses, etc. from that list. Can anyone advise me? Hi not completely sure what you're trying to do. But as a starting point: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany fouraker wrote: > I'm new to excel. I...

How do I modify an existing worksheet to remove columns & contents
I am working with a very large spreadsheet and want to modify it using only certain columns and data in order to keep from re-doing the entire worksheet. ANybody out there in cyberspace got suggestions or good reference sources I can use? Gil There are just too many scenarios to ponder without getting some more details on what you wish to do. Please be a little more specific in your description. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:15:06 -0800, "Gil Gray" <Gil Gray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am working with a very large spreadsheet and want to m...

How to change default printing parameters on Excel & ......
How to change the default printing parameters on Excel & keep them changed for future workbooks. Example: Normally I use Printing margins 0.25 on all directions, but default printing margins are 0.75. I want to change them to set 0.25 as DEFAULT. If you start a new workbook and change the page layout (for all the sheets), you can save it into your XLStart folder as Book.xlt. Excel will use that as the basis for new workbooks. You can change a lot of settings that way--including orientation, headers/footers.... Amjad wrote: > > How to change the default printing parameters ...

Using XP Briefcase with money file

System Administrator Cannot start Outlook
Trying to start Outlook as I want to syncronise my contacts with my new palm zire 72. Cannot start as I have not configureed it properly and I am not the system administrator. I am using Windows XP and I am the only user on the computer. What do I do to get it going? Please help Jason ...

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

outlook adreddbook file
I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? Outlook has no separate "address book file." Contact data is stored in your Contacts Folder Use the Export Wizard to export it to the format that best suits your needs. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Helpneeded" <derontayp@aol.com> wrote in message news:261e01c3af79$7d94e740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be > uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? ...

Setting default program for viewing pictures
How do I set the default program for viewing picture attachments? I use Outlook Express 6 and when I click to open an attached picture it opens to JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 but no picture appears. In the past Explorer opened up my pictures. Can any one give me the steps to change the default from paint Shop to Explorer?? Hi Digitdan, Change the program that starts when you open a file http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HP051925951033&C TT=1&Origin=EC790000701033&QueryID=bSa5KrD4N0&Query=Change+the+program+that+ starts+when+you+open+a+file&Scop...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...