SQL in Excel data

Hi all,

Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet?

I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the
sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access.

A1         B1
Field1     Field2
Chuck    12,89
Mike       23,09
Jean        9,34
Chuck    30,00
Mike       3,80
Chuck    22,00
Mike       7,23
Jean        10,55
Jean        10,75
Jean        31,45
Chuck    19,99

Result
Field1 SumOfField2
Chuck     84,88
Jean        62,09
Mike       34,12

Advice would be appriciated.

Cheers,
Ludovic

0
Vsn
10/23/2009 8:57:33 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
You could use a formula like this =SUMIF(A2:A600,"Chuck",B2:B600)
adjust range to your need.
HTH
John
"Vsn" <vsn_hotmail_kom> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet?
>
> I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum
> of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access.
>
> A1         B1
> Field1     Field2
> Chuck    12,89
> Mike       23,09
> Jean        9,34
> Chuck    30,00
> Mike       3,80
> Chuck    22,00
> Mike       7,23
> Jean        10,55
> Jean        10,75
> Jean        31,45
> Chuck    19,99
>
> Result
> Field1 SumOfField2
> Chuck     84,88
> Jean        62,09
> Mike       34,12
>
> Advice would be appriciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludovic

0
johnd1 (109)
10/23/2009 10:21:16 PM
Good idea, this will work for now. Thanks!

"John" <johnd@newlook.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi
> You could use a formula like this =SUMIF(A2:A600,"Chuck",B2:B600)
> adjust range to your need.
> HTH
> John
> "Vsn" <vsn_hotmail_kom> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet?
>>
>> I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have
>> the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access.
>>
>> A1         B1
>> Field1     Field2
>> Chuck    12,89
>> Mike       23,09
>> Jean        9,34
>> Chuck    30,00
>> Mike       3,80
>> Chuck    22,00
>> Mike       7,23
>> Jean        10,55
>> Jean        10,75
>> Jean        31,45
>> Chuck    19,99
>>
>> Result
>> Field1 SumOfField2
>> Chuck     84,88
>> Jean        62,09
>> Mike       34,12
>>
>> Advice would be appriciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ludovic

0
Vsn
10/24/2009 8:56:07 AM
You're welcome,
Sorry I couldn't help with SQL.
Regards
> Good idea, this will work for now. Thanks!
>

> "John" <johnd@newlook.com> schreef in bericht
>> Hi
>> You could use a formula like this =SUMIF(A2:A600,"Chuck",B2:B600)
>> adjust range to your need.
>> HTH
>> John
>> "Vsn" <vsn_hotmail_kom> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet?
>>>
>>> I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the
>>> sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access.
>>>
>>> A1         B1
>>> Field1     Field2
>>> Chuck    12,89
>>> Mike       23,09
>>> Jean        9,34
>>> Chuck    30,00
>>> Mike       3,80
>>> Chuck    22,00
>>> Mike       7,23
>>> Jean        10,55
>>> Jean        10,75
>>> Jean        31,45
>>> Chuck    19,99
>>>
>>> Result
>>> Field1 SumOfField2
>>> Chuck     84,88
>>> Jean        62,09
>>> Mike       34,12
>>>
>>> Advice would be appriciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ludovic

0
johnd1 (109)
10/24/2009 11:53:43 AM
A pivot can give you both the listing of unique names & their corresponding
amounts in a matter of seconds. Create a pivot on your source table, place
Field1 into ROW, Field2 into DATA (set to Sum). That's it. Check out the
results in the pivot sheet.
--
Max
Singapore

0
demechanik (4694)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

How to get XML data out of an XML file

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

Repair SQL Corrupt database
Hi, I have a corrupt MS SQL Server 2005 database which I am trying to repair using: DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) Unfortunately this does not seem to fix anything. After running the repair multiple times, I ran DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB') WITH NO_INFOMSGS to see if it fixed the corruption, I noticed that is was returning a random amount of errors on each run. Does any know if It is the case that this database is beyond repair? If so will the best approach be to revert back to a non corrupt database backup and then roll forward using Transaction Lo...

How refresh imported data automatically?
In Excel, I've imported data into a worksheet. I know I can click Data.. Refresh Data to requery the source, but I want to be able to do it in a more automated way. Is there some sort of macro I can write when opened or something? Thanks, Ron Ron, Select the cell the data starts in, select Data/Import External Data/Data Range Properties Check the box "Refresh on file open" and anything else that needs checking off... Other than that, you could record a new Macro that selects your cell, refreshes data, and assign the macro to a keystroke, or even an icon. Beege ...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...

Combining Lists within excel.
I'm hoping someone can help here. I'll try to explain the problem I have. I have 2 worksheets both containing a product list. I have entries on one worksheet which I need on the other, so basically my question is... might there be a way of combining these two lists so one updates the other with the missing entries. Help on this would be great, as they are very large lists which I dont much fancy the thought of looking through them manually. Are you familiar with the VLOOKUP function? I use it all the time for this type of problem. vlookup(Product cell in first sheet, Array...

Import excel named range into Access error 3011
Hi, I've read a few posts on this topic, but none addresses my particular problem. I use Office 2003 on an XP SP3 machine. I am using transferspreadsheet to import a named range in an excel file into Access. This has worked beautifully until suddenly it stopped working. I find now that if I extract the address of the named range from within the Access VBA code, it looks like this: =#REF!$A$1:$Z$166 rather than this, which is what it should be: =Data!$A$1:$Z$166 When I open the spreadsheet and get the address of the named range in the immediate window, it also has the #REF error....

Excel AutoSave #2
In Excel 2000 was this feature available? User is not seeing it. Excel 2000 had the AUTOSAVE.XLA Add-in Should be in Tools>Add-ins. If not available there, do a file search on your computer. If not there, install from the CD. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:26:16 -0700, "Ssolano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2000 was this feature available? >User is not seeing it. ...

auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work
I have the toolbar at the bottom of the screen set to 'autohide' but when I'm in Excel sometimes it does 'hide' until the cursor is moved over it, but mostly it won't autohide so that I cannot see the Sheet names at the bottom of the screen. I am running Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Can anyone help please? -- teecee8 Hi Every time you move your cursor too far into the bottom area, the toolbar will pop up. Normally it disappears when you move your cursor up again. If it does not, try clicking on you spreadsheet. If you right click o...