SQL Excel Conversion

I am having trouble converting excel to SQL.  The columns i am having trouble
with are Text columns, but most of the data is dropped and only data that is
alphanumeric is converted.  I would like to know how to fix this.  If i
change the alphanumeric data to numeric, that is the only column converted,
all the other numberic fields are null.
0
Excel1 (75)
5/14/2008 3:45:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On May 14, 10:45=A0am, NJ Excel <NJ Ex...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am having trouble converting excel to SQL. =A0The columns i am having tr=
ouble
> with are Text columns, but most of the data is dropped and only data that =
is
> alphanumeric is converted. =A0I would like to know how to fix this. =A0If =
> change the alphanumeric data to numeric, that is the only column converted=
,
> all the other numberic fields are null.

You may want to convert to Access as an intermediate step.  Excel can
be a bit odd in conversion.

My methodology is usually to try (from Access) File->get external data-
>link which is great when it works but frustrating when if missclasses
text and numeric columns.  If I see those problems I'll try a straight
import, which works 95% of the time.  If that doesn't work I'll build
the table in Access and cut and paste from Excel.  From there it's a
simple task to export to SQL Server, Oracle, or whatever.

hth,

Tim Mills-Groninger
>> I am having trouble converting excel to SQL.
> You may want to convert to Access as an intermediate step.  Excel can
> be a bit odd in conversion.
> My methodology is usually to try (from Access) File->get external data-
>> link which is great when it works but frustrating when if missclasses
> text and numeric columns.  If I see those problems I'll try a straight
> import, which works 95% of the time.  If that doesn't work I'll build
> the table in Access and cut and paste from Excel.  From there it's a
> simple task to export to SQL Server, Oracle, or whatever.
> Tim Mills-Groninger
Totally agree with you Tim.  Although Access does cost additional $$$,
there are a couple of advantages.  I found the most useful thing when
copy+pasting from Excel into Access is that Access will tell you which
lines are causing the problems.  There are normally only a couple of
records that cause the problems and it is a really quick just to
manually fix them afterwards.

Phil
--
Keeping the bookplate alive
http://bookplatemuseum.com

ghost excel back up file
Hi All, I have an excel worksheet with huge calculations. The calculations are linked to a separate data sheet, which is system generated. I've checked all the macros to make sure nothing is saving a back up version of the workbook, but it still does that (I inherited this workbook), also looked in the Tools > Options > Save and unchecked both the AutoRecover boxes. The problem comes in when the user download the main workbook and the new data file, then the #REF errors are everywhere. If Ctrl + Atl + Shift + F9 function is performed, then the workbook recalculates correctly. S...

Trouble with conversion
I am trying to convert lotus 1-2-3 files over to Excel 2002. My problem is that when the forms are converted, the Excel pages are larger than the Lotus for printing (what was one printed page in Lotus is now 2 in Excel). When I try to fit it all on one page (through Page Setting in Excel) the image is naturally a reduced size. Is there a way to reformat the page so that what fit on a single page in Lotus 1-2-3 will be the same size in Excel 2002? ...

Excel Attachment!
Hi Guys, Hope you are doing fine. Please help me out on this issue. One of my user is facing problems while opening only excel attachments in outlook. We use Office XP Professional Suite. Whenever he tries to open excel attachment, he gets an error messages from Outlook like: "The system cannot find the file specified." or "An error occurred in sending the command to the application." I have also followed the steps as suggested by Microsoft Support Site to uncheck 'Ignore other applications' option in Excel. But the problem still persists. Thanks, Robin Vaz...

Query an excel file
i would like to take an existing excel worksheet and separate it into new worksheets base don the date for each row of data. is there a way to do this? shouldnt i just be able to query the data for a certain date and paste that info in a new spreadsheet? Thanks You might find that Data/Filter/Advanced filter will do what you want. It has the option to copy data to another sheet. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Excel XP: problem opening csv file with macro
Hello I am converting Excel spreadsheets to the XP version. In my excel I have a macro (very simple) to open a csv file and then apply some filters to it. When I run it in Excel XP, the csv file doesn't open correctly. It is as if the field separator is not recognised and all fields are as a unique text in the first column. But, if I open the same csv file in Excel XP using File-->Open, everything works fine. Also, is there a forum with XP conversion problems? I would be interested also in Access issues. Thank you --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ VBA is prett...

Excel 2003 word wrap and unwrap
My boss wants to be able to word wrap and unwrap using a type of "toggle" like when you CTL + X to cut and CTL + V to paste. Is there such a way to do this? "wrapping" is done at the cell format level. In 2007 you have a button on the Home tab to do this, in 2003 you will need to build a macro to toggle it. Mares wrote: > My boss wants to be able to word wrap and unwrap using a type of "toggle" > like when you CTL + X to cut and CTL + V to paste. Is there such a way to do > this? Thanks Bob. I've never written a macro. Can ...

Exporting a Report to Excel 11-12-07
We use Access's built-in function for exporting reports to Excel quite a bit and have been very happy with it. However, there are a couple reports that we'd like to export to Excel and have more control over the formatting of the produced spreadsheet. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what the best way would be to do this? (Our client is using Access 2000 and Excel 2000.) Thanks in advance. James ...

Colors are suddenly shot, and Excel thinks there's two workbooks in memory.
I have Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625). I have a workbook with plain data--no charts, add-ins, database stuff, etc. Worksheet tab display is on. I have changed a couple of dozen colors on the color palette to custom values for font & cell colors. I don't know how this happened, but all of a sudden Excel's caption bar at top says "MyWorkbook.xls:2", suggesting I opened a second copy of the workbook. Which I didn't do. Trying to quit out of "only" the ":2" or ":1" book is meaningless: *both* contexts disappear if I do. Symptoms: ...

EXCEL polynomial trendlines
I have been generating trendlines to a number of data set's using a polynomial fit. If I do not set the intercept to zero the equation indicated on the graph is correct when I re-generate the trendline curve using second data set inputing x to obtain y. However, if I set the intercept to pass through zero the equation given does not give the correct trendline when I regenerate the curve using a new input data set for x to obtain y. Doe anyone have any suggestions of comments as to why this is happening and what can do to stop it? I am sure your post makes sense to you but it leav...

excel attachments not being received by recepients
I have 20 client machines using xp pro with office 2003. One of my outside sales manager sends out emails with excel files attached. Some recepients receive them and some others do not. I have reinstalled XPpro OP system and Office 2003 on this machine to no avail. He can send the same email to me and I can send it to the recepient that originally did not receive the attachement and they receive the attachment. I ahve tried sending it through our server, and hotmail with the same results. Pleas Help! ...

Excel 2003
I just came from Excel 2000. My existing spreadsheet won't hold it's column widths when I deselect the 'show formulas' option. Can you help me? I am using XP. When in formula view the columns go much wider to accomodate the formulas. When that view is de-selected, columns go back to what they were set at width-wise. BTW.............CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) will toggle the view formulas on/off. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:41:01 -0700, Hello_It''s_Me-CA <HelloItsMeCA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just came from Exc...

Excel 2000
Hi -- I have a user with a spreadsheet that will not display. I was able to Hide/Unhide it the other day, but now that is not working. I saved the file with another name with same result. I am able to open the file without a problem. Thanks for your help!! memcneely Maybe you unhid it, but it was off the visible screen. File|open the workbook window|unhide window|arrange|tiled (and resize by hand) and save it the way you like it. memcneely wrote: > > Hi -- > I have a user with a spreadsheet that will not display. I was able to > Hide/Unhide it the other day, but now that ...

Gridlines in Excel 2003
I have an Excel spreadsheet that was orginally created in either Excel 97 or 2000. We recently switched to Office 2003 and now the gridlines in this worksheet are not printing properly. The check box for "Print gridlines" is checked and all of the gridlines appear on Print Preview. When the worksheet is actually printed only some of the gridlines actually print. Has anyone else encountered this quirk? Is there a fix to this besides using borders around each cell? Perhaps you need to install a new printer driver -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

CRM & SQL 02-13-07
Hello, I am gathering all the information needed to run a Pilot of the MS CRM 3.0. I've read that you can't use the free version of MS SQL. What is the minimum version required? Workgroup, Standard, Enterprise? There would only be about 7 internal users. Thanks, Kevin Read this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en "Kevin Thomas" <kthomas00@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23bEsRM6THHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I am gathering all the information needed to ...

How to create SQL Connection to other database from call out ?
Hi I am trying to update another legacy MS SQL database after user insert new record in MS CRM system. The way i did is at call out postcreate , i code by VS 2003. The coding is starting from setting a connectionsstring to connect another database which it is in same server as MS CRM Server, but different database name and insert SQL command. The result is, my call out can't open database connection at all. I tested that inserting new record in my local machine with testing web form application, it is correct sql command and can connect to that datbase and insert new reccord. Fro...

Excel Tab Issue
When I use the Tab key it jumps several columns instead of 1 column. I don't know how it got this way, nor how to get it back. UNcheck Lotus Compatibility option bubbafouts wrote: > When I use the Tab key it jumps several columns instead of 1 column. I don't > know how it got this way, nor how to get it back. In Excel 2003 & earlier: Tools >> Options >> Transition tab >> uncheck transition navigation keys. In Excel 2007 it's Office Button >> Excel Options >> Advanced. Lotus Compatibility is down towards the bottom...

How to pull values from Excel to MS Access?
Hello I have a spreadsheet that was nicely formatted by a user whose values I need to incorporate in one of my MS Access reports. Here is a sample layout of the excel file: COLUMNS A B C D E row 5 REGION 1 4000 5000 6000 7000 8000 row 7 REGION 2 100 200 300 400 500 row 9 REGION 3 800 700 600 500 900 row 12 REGION 4 55000 40000 36000 77000 88000 row 16 REGION 5 2500 1400 1700 1000 1500 row 20 REGION 6 9800 8700 7600 6500 1900 I am unable to impor...

EXCEL ADD-INS #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Currently I am using Office Home and Student 2008 for Mac, and I do not see any Escel add-in running. When I browse inside the add-ins menu I do not see any add-in available. What can I do? Where can I get the Add.Ins? Do I need the setup CD to install the Add-Ins? There are no VBA add-ins that work with Office 2008 because VBA support was not included in Office 2008, the first Intel version of the software. It has been announced that VBA support will return in the next version of Office for Mac. On 8/28/08 11:42 AM, in article 59b581...

Corruption in Excel?
I have Office XP on Windows XP Home and I have problems which appear to be due to corruption in Excel: 1. Excel worksheets often will not print. Checking the printer in Control Panel shows that the data is not being sent to the printer. Rebooting solves the problem. 2. When I open one worksheet which has links to several others, I get a message that links to the most recent five are not found. They are still there and the calculations are correct so it appears to be a false message. The problems seem to have started when I updated this worksheet last week although it seemed OK at the ...

Excell worksheet to powerpoint was working now it isn't
I am having to update a lot of data on a map which is on a powerpoint slide. I had an excell program which pasted links to the powerpoint updating the information as I got it updated on excell. It worked well until the programs were closed. Now when I open it, the powerpoint updates and freaks up. None of the links are where they were originally on the powerpoint, and it duplicates some information all over the slide along with putting information from the excell that was never copied. Please, can someone help? ...

unable to paste/import graph from excel onto word on single page
If I paste the graph in word it shows up in 2 pages and if I try to import it cuts half and shows the rest in one page. Please help! How can i make the whole graph look good in word like the way it shows in Excel? Right-click the graph, click format object, layout tab, select any wrap but inline with text. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Word query4 hortresearch" <Word query4 hortresearch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FC73B8C-D034-4B52-9DFE-29E652C41A10@microsoft.com... > ...

Excel and Clinical Trials #2
Does anyone know of a good website about using Excel for Clinical Studies/Trials, especially data entry and statistics. Maybe a website with example spreadsheets? Thanks, -RiotLoadTime -- RiotLoadTime ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RiotLoadTime's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35956 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=570068 ...

How do I stop Excel autoraising my windows?
I'm running Excel/Office 2007. When I move my mouse from an Excel window into another window it autoraises it, and when I move my mouse back to the Excel window it autoraises that. Doesn't happen if I move my windows between two windows if I don't pass the mouse through an Excel window. Also, the Excel Help window is _always_ on top of the Excel window. I can't get it to sit below it. I'm using Power Toys for Windows XP in order to get focus-follows-mouse. Sorry, should have been "doesn't happen if I move my MOUSE between two windows". &qu...

Excel subtotals, add a sort option, and BOLD the function answers
love using the subtotal option. sometimes forget to sort the list first, would be nice to have a sort option or reminder. Also when subtotals are applied, the heading or titles for the subtotal is BOLD, the entire line that was added should be bold, or have options to automatically add borders if you'ld like to email microsoft with your comments the email address is mswish@microsoft.com however, if you're asking how can the whole line go bold when using subtotals - conditional formatting is often used to achieve this. Post back if you'ld like more details Cheers JulieD...

Connect to Excel file to import data
Hello, I have a vba code that will import the data from the excel file. I open the excel file,import it and close it. But I think I have the problem with closing it.The VBA works fine, but when I reopen the excel file from the file inself, it says something about the Read Only, Notify...... Here is my code Function ImportBidData(FileName As String) Set excel = CreateObject("excel.Application") excel.workbooks.Open (FileName) DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12, "tbl_Temp_Quote1", FileName, False, "Quote1Direct" e...