spontaneous change of formatting

Hello,

In the company where I work we are currently experiencing a strange
problem.
What happens is that randomly and spontaneously, the formatting of the
spreadsheets we use gets changed. Say numbers formatted like dates and
vice versa for example.

This has never happened in the past, and it is something occurring
over the last month or so.

The spreadsheets have macros however, I checked the code in depth and
there is no formatting at all; that is the formatting is just part of
the cells properties and that gets changed.

We are using Office 2007 and all the files are in .xlsm format.

Have you got anything to suggest for this? Has anyone experienced the
same problem?

The only thing I can guess is that it is related to a Microsoft
Update, but of course I cannot prove it.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Mark
0
Mark
4/23/2010 6:29:13 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

As ALWAYS, post your code for comments. You may need to add a line
cell(i,9).numberformat="yymmdd"

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Mark" <mabramo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> In the company where I work we are currently experiencing a strange
> problem.
> What happens is that randomly and spontaneously, the formatting of the
> spreadsheets we use gets changed. Say numbers formatted like dates and
> vice versa for example.
>
> This has never happened in the past, and it is something occurring
> over the last month or so.
>
> The spreadsheets have macros however, I checked the code in depth and
> there is no formatting at all; that is the formatting is just part of
> the cells properties and that gets changed.
>
> We are using Office 2007 and all the files are in .xlsm format.
>
> Have you got anything to suggest for this? Has anyone experienced the
> same problem?
>
> The only thing I can guess is that it is related to a Microsoft
> Update, but of course I cannot prove it.
>
> Thanks a lot for your time,
>
> Mark

0
Don
4/23/2010 1:36:45 PM
On Apr 23, 3:36=A0pm, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As ALWAYS, post your code for comments. You may need to add a line
> cell(i,9).numberformat=3D"yymmdd"
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguill...@gmail.com"Mark" <mabr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > In the company where I work we are currently experiencing a strange
> > problem.
> > What happens is that randomly and spontaneously, the formatting of the
> > spreadsheets we use gets changed. Say numbers formatted like dates and
> > vice versa for example.
>
> > This has never happened in the past, and it is something occurring
> > over the last month or so.
>
> > The spreadsheets have macros however, I checked the code in depth and
> > there is no formatting at all; that is the formatting is just part of
> > the cells properties and that gets changed.
>
> > We are using Office 2007 and all the files are in .xlsm format.
>
> > Have you got anything to suggest for this? Has anyone experienced the
> > same problem?
>
> > The only thing I can guess is that it is related to a Microsoft
> > Update, but of course I cannot prove it.
>
> > Thanks a lot for your time,
>
> > Mark

Don,

Read the post again, because it is clear that you did not.

Thanks,

Mark
0
Mark
4/23/2010 1:48:58 PM
A very good way to win friends.

--
On Apr 23, 3:36�pm, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As ALWAYS, post your code for comments. You may need to add a line
> cell(i,9).numberformat="yymmdd"
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguill...@gmail.com"Mark" <mabr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > In the company where I work we are currently experiencing a strange
> > problem.
> > What happens is that randomly and spontaneously, the formatting of the
> > spreadsheets we use gets changed. Say numbers formatted like dates and
> > vice versa for example.
>
> > This has never happened in the past, and it is something occurring
> > over the last month or so.
>
> > The spreadsheets have macros however, I checked the code in depth and
> > there is no formatting at all; that is the formatting is just part of
> > the cells properties and that gets changed.
>
> > We are using Office 2007 and all the files are in .xlsm format.
>
> > Have you got anything to suggest for this? Has anyone experienced the
> > same problem?
>
> > The only thing I can guess is that it is related to a Microsoft
> > Update, but of course I cannot prove it.
>
> > Thanks a lot for your time,
>
> > Mark

Don,

Read the post again, because it is clear that you did not.

Thanks,

Mark

0
Don
4/23/2010 2:12:33 PM
On Apr 23, 4:12=A0pm, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A very good way to win friends.
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguill...@gmail.com"Mark" <mabr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 23, 3:36 pm, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > As ALWAYS, post your code for comments. You may need to add a line
> > cell(i,9).numberformat=3D"yymmdd"
>
> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > Microsoft MVP Excel
> > SalesAid Software
> > dguill...@gmail.com"Mark" <mabr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

..

> > > Hello,
>
> > > In the company where I work we are currently experiencing a strange
> > > problem.
> > > What happens is that randomly and spontaneously, the formatting of th=
> > > spreadsheets we use gets changed. Say numbers formatted like dates an=
> > > vice versa for example.
>
> > > This has never happened in the past, and it is something occurring
> > > over the last month or so.
>
> > > The spreadsheets have macros however, I checked the code in depth and
> > > there is no formatting at all; that is the formatting is just part of
> > > the cells properties and that gets changed.
>
> > > We are using Office 2007 and all the files are in .xlsm format.
>
> > > Have you got anything to suggest for this? Has anyone experienced the
> > > same problem?
>
> > > The only thing I can guess is that it is related to a Microsoft
> > > Update, but of course I cannot prove it.
>
> > > Thanks a lot for your time,
>
> > > Mark
>
> Don,
>
> Read the post again, because it is clear that you did not.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Dear All,

I found more references to the problem I am experiencing. It looks
like it is a known issue:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3620548.php

As I stated before, that is NOT related to coding at all but rather an
auto format function of Excel.

Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

I am not asking for a:

..numberformat=3D"yymmdd"

solution, because that would be impractical but rater as a way to
force an Excel workbook to leave the data as they are rather than
trying to be clever guessing the formats.

Thanks,

Mark
0
Mark

formatting cells for radar graph
Is there a way to format cells so that when you type in a whole number, it is converted to a decimal? (EX: If I type in 150, I want the cell to format this whole number as .150) I have a radar graph that I have set up to graph product thickness, when the thickness is less than a whole number. Thanks Hi Debbie, Yes: use Tools|Options and open Edit tab; locate Fixed Decimals and set it to 3 However, I think this is "global" and will apply to all workbooks you subsequently open; so do remember to set it off. Alternative: enter the three digit numbers; type 1000 in an empty ce...

Too many cell formats #3
I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close to that. Is there a report or a third party app that would let me check my sheets fo this information? Thanks and Happy Holidays. I'm having difficulty understanding why there would be so many cell formats? What purpose does this serve? "Adrian" wrote: > I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats > I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close > to th...

How do I change column headings fron numbers to letters in excell.
Hi Martin In Excel 2003 and older goto > Tools>Options>Select General Tab>and unselect R1C1 reference Style. HTH John "Martin C" <Martin C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6BD9C67-19F2-410D-BFCD-5D08516CBC0E@microsoft.com... > Hi John Thanks I run excell 2007 but with your ref to R1C1 reference Style I managed to put things right Many thanks Martin "John" wrote: > Hi Martin > In Excel 2003 and older goto > Tools>Options>Select General Tab>and unselect > R1C1 reference Style. > HTH > John > "...

How do I stop colors from changing the shades in excel
A user is having issues with her spreadsheet and shades changing colors? Any suggestions? Gladys When do the shades change color? Perhaps Conditional Formatting is changing the colors as the data values change? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:09:01 -0700, Gladys <Gladys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >A user is having issues with her spreadsheet and shades changing colors? Any >suggestions? ...

Can you change only one cell size in a workbook?
No. You can change the width of a column, or the height of a row. And next time, please remember to ask the question in the body of the message, not just in the subject line. And if this is related to charting, it is not clear how. Was this intended for one of the other Excel groups? -- David Biddulph "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A4504F7-4FA9-44C4-A79C-5E67A9E8C169@microsoft.com... > ...

Format Cells Custom Forumula?
How do I interpret (#,##0_);[Red](#,##0) or other similar formulas so I can figure out what is wrong or create a new one for a specific situation? I looked throughout help but couldn't find anything. I know this one rounds the value of the formula and spaces it so if it is a negagive it doesn't mess up the spacing on the page, but I don't know how to read the actual formula to determine what does what. Thanks, Mike See "About custom number formats" in XL Help. In article <F2FEC468-63AE-4F9C-BE97-ED44A6D5CDED@microsoft.com>, Mike King <Mike King@discussi...

my formated column is displaying one cell incorrectly
I have a spreadsheet with 4 columns; the 4th columns is a formula going across the 3 columns a+b-c = d with d preferably equally zero. When I format column d almost all of the columns that equal zero display as a dash (preference). However periodically one or two of the rows will display as 0.00 and I can't seem to get the formatting to change to the dash. I have tried to reformat all columns all other cells and to no avail. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how have u solved it. The only way I can solve it is to actually put a zero in the cell. If the numb...

Change CRM 3.0 Default Font
I use CRM at work and from home, and the font for messages is always Arial at home and Tahoma at work. Is there anywhere to change this? The only difference is that at home I use XP, at work Vista. Steve ...

format cell
How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] follow by [/] follow by [number] and display as number - number I.e key in 3/4, appear as 3 - 4 Not by formatting alone. You could format the cell as text (not general, not a date) and use the adjacent cell to return the string the way you want to see it: =substitute(a1,"/"," - ") After you do all your data entry, you could hide the original column or even convert the formula column to values and delete the original column. crapit wrote: > > How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] fol...

Tricky formatting and Date Formula
I need to calculate the difference in ages for a school tracking program. The problem is in the fact that the ages are recorded as follows: 6.1 is a child 6 years and 1 month 6.2 is a child 6 years and 2 months etc 6.10 is a child 6 years and 10 months 6.11 is a child 6 years and 11 months The formatting cannot differentiate between 6.1 and 6.10. Is it possible to get around these problems so that I can a) record the ages so that they mean something in the spread sheet B) create a formula that will work out the age differences between a chronological age of, for example, 8.1 (8 years an...

Changing DEfault Color Pallette
I know how to change color pallettes in specific workbooks, I know ho to copy pallettes from other workbooks, but is there any way to chang the actual default color pallette that comes up every time you ope excel -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26639 You would need to do that in a new workbook, and save it as a template Book.xlt in the XLStart directory. -- HTH RP "bludo...

Formatting a contact list in Excel
I am having trouble formatting a contact list so that I can upload it into my MS Office contacts. Export your contacts first to generate an example file. Amanda wrote: > I am having trouble formatting a contact list so that I can upload it into my > MS Office contacts. What do you mean "Bob I" wrote: > Export your contacts first to generate an example file. > > Amanda wrote: > > I am having trouble formatting a contact list so that I can upload it into my > > MS Office contacts. > > . > Presuming you have placed at ...

Cond format based on if field value is valid
Hello all, I have a combo box whos control source is a filed on a form,its Row Source type is a query and its row source is a record from the query. Basically the field on the form is a category ID number. The query compares that category number to the list of category numbers and the end result is that the category descritpion text is displayed on the form. I need that descritpion combo box to change colors if the category code is not on the list of available category codes. How can I accomplish this? Thanks for your advice.... ...

CTreeCtrl: Event that indicates that the status of a checkbox has changed
Hi, I have a tree control created with the TVS_CHECKBOXES property. I want to do some processing when the status of one of the checkboxes in the tree changes. Since I couldn't find a notification message that indicates this change, I used the NM_CLICK message with little more than hope. What I found is that this message is sent before the status of the checkbox actually changes, so I'm only one step behind in my quest. So I have the following questions: 1. Is there a message that is sent after the status of the checkbox changes? 2. If I continue using MN_CLICK, is there a way to wait ...

Changing Dates
I am trying to figure out a way to auto-roll the dates on a spreadsheet forward. Basically, what I have is this: A1 B1 C1 D1 09/25 10/01 10/08 10/15 etc... And what I want is for those dates to all roll-forward as they are surpassed, so that on 09/26, the dates will increment one week and show: 10/01 10/08 10/15 10/22 etc, forever. I appreciate any help in sorting this out. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Far...

is it possible to change print ink color based on cell value?
Is it possible to change print ink color based on value in a cell for a spreadsheet application? Example: If a cell's value is over 250, can I have it print the number in red ink to draw my attention to it?? You can use Conditional Formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) to test the value and set the font colour accordingly. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave The Mechanic" <Dave The Mechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B63AB99-5824-4AFB-A206-D4CDF1BB9D48@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to chang...

Can I sort a column by its 'formatting'...
i have a column of values, some of the cells are in black and some are in red. can i sort the column let say by the color first, then the numeric value. example, A ---- cell format 6 (black) 9 (red) 1 (red) 5 (black) 10 (black) after sorting by 'color' then 'value' A ---- 1 (red) 9 (red) 5 (black) 6 (black) 10 (black) is it possible? thx. I don't think you can do that directly. You could put formulas in a neighboring column that reference the condition that produced the col...

Changing default lists
If I type an asterisk (*) or a number + a period (1.) and then a space, Word starts an unordered/ordered list. I have defined some lists with formats that I prefer to the default lists that Word chooses. Is there a way that I can get Word to use my lists when I type "* " or "1. "? No, the automatic application of numbering isn't that "intelligent." What you can do is create your own lists linked to styles. For single-level numbering, the easiest approach is to modify the built-in List Bullet and List Number styles, respectively. -- Stefan B...

Axis Values Keep changing
I have a scientific table of values containing time increments as column entries (0, .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.). There is a corresponding record entry for each of these time increments. When I attempt to create a CHART, however, that range of values changes to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). I've played with changing the increment values to number format, and I can't seem to get beyond what excel's chart wizard insists upon doing to this range of values. Any suggestions? You have been making a LINE chart when you need an XY chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP htt...

Change "zoom" size in publisher and set as a default?
I would like to change the default "zoom" setting in publisher. I have not found how to change this. Suggestions? SheilaC <SheilaC@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I would like to change the default "zoom" setting in publisher. I > have not found how to change this. Suggestions? Default Zoom add-in is available at http://www.publishermvps.com/Programming/AddIns/tabid/43/Default.aspx -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher What version Publisher? An Add-in here, scroll down... Default Zoom Add-in v1.0 (for Publisher 2...

How do I set the date to change into the right format?
I need to be able to type 15/06/06 or 150606 and for it to change to 15-jun-06 when I leave the cell. I have tried all kinds of things, and usually, it stays as I typed it, or it shows like I type it mm-dd-yy. Can someone please tell me how to format the date cell properly? I have so many cover sheets to type for the month end...!Thank you! Did you try to format your cells to the format you want, in your case Format/Cells/Date/[*chosse*]? Henk "Tab In The Office" wrote: > I need to be able to type 15/06/06 or 150606 and for it to change to > 15-jun-06 when I leave t...

change from copy & paste task pane (yuk) to c&p little box
Help I hate the task pane for copy and pasting it is too big and too far away from the copy and paste area I much prefered my office 2000 little copy andpaste box that came up automatically, the task pane doesn't even if the it's checked to.Is there a way I can get the little box display of copy and paste items instead of the task pane. ...

How to Change File Extension
Hi All, I am new to VC++.NET. I have a stuck with a problem. I am creating a temporary file in C:\Windows\Temp directory. The file name would be <filename>.tmp. Now if I want to change the extension to some other extension like ".doc" or ".xml" , how can I do it? Is it possible in VC++.NET. In one of the post, I saw we have to invoke IDR_MAINFRAME. But I am not finding any such thing in VC++.NET. Thanks, Yesh use CFile::Rename "yesh" <yeshwanth.hv@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160729614.279921.50800@b28g2000cwb.googleg...

File Format Incorrect???
I am trying to add an expense category to microsoft deluxe 2003 in the buinsess account. When I get to the creating a withdrawal and chose a category a message pops up saying: "The format of the tax deduction eligibility criteria table file (TaxDC.tbl) is incorrect." "The file has somehow been changed so that Money cannot read it correctly. You should either set up Money again, or download a new version of this file through the Internet Update." When I do the update, nothing is fixed . When I search for this file on my computer I don't find it. What can I do ...

Conditional Formatting Formula
I have a spreadsheet that I check for valid data. I have created an add-in workbook that has the valid data (named ranges) which is updated from an Access database query. On the spreadsheet I am checking for valid data, I created a named reference to the named ranges in the add-in workbook so I can use conditional formatting to flag invalid data with a red background. This works perfectly for account numbers, security numbers, and the like, but when it comes to text entries such as usernames, it flags it as red whether the data is valid or not. I use VBA code from the add-in workbook e...