Splitting First and Last Names

I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and last
names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
use 'Data - Text to<columns' for this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Jamie wrote:
> I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and
last
> names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/15/2004 5:16:33 PM
"Jamie" <pastorjman310@hotmail.com> wrote

>I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both
>first and last
> names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do
> this?
Assuming that everybody has a first and a last name and that
a single space separates the first name from the last:

Let B1 =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
Let C1 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

If you enter "Winston Churchill" in A1, B1 will show
"Winston" and C1 will show "Churchill".

Is that what you want to do?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

0
gezgin (65)

unable to sort in Select Names box
I just migrated from 98se/OL 2000 to XP proff/OL 2002. Now when I open a new email and click the "To..." button, and it opens the "Select Names" box, and I go to select a recipients email the fields won't let me sort like I used to. Plus there are additional entries with fax numbers, how do get it to sort and NOT display the fax number entries? Also, is there any way I can make this "Select Names" box bigger so I don't have to scroll right to see the if it is the correct email address if they have multiple email address's? Thanks Ted No...

how do I set up outlook with my Comcast user name and password
How do I configure Outlook to my Comcast e-mail? emi wrote: > How do I configure Outlook to my Comcast e-mail? Configure all the settings in Outlook according to the information Comcast gives you. This is for Outlook 2002 (but you can find how to do for other versions here, too): http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2287.html "emi" <emi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:393A5521-6E8E-4459-B5B5-69BCDF04F087@microsoft.com... > How do I configure Outlook to my Comcast e-mail? ...

Specifying Display names in the "From" field
Where in Exchange 2000/2003 do you specify whether your full name OR email address is displayed in the recipients "From" field of the email message? "LincolnIT" <LincolnIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D67754D-F7C3-4367-861D-DE2E804074D3@microsoft.com... > Where in Exchange 2000/2003 do you specify whether your full name OR email > address is displayed in the recipients "From" field of the email message? It's the display name. You can't change this in the mail client that I know of. What's the issue/problem you'...

How do I get outlook 2003 to set up the first profile.
I cannot get my coworkers outlook 2003 to set up .. keeps sending me in a circle. DO THIS then DO That.. I do the required steps only to be told I cannot access the profile and go back again and do this and that.. HELP@! It might be helpful if you told us what account(s) you're trying to set up. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Firefly" <Firefly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:875E4E8B-F6F8-4BD4-A...

How do I create/filter a list of names without duplications
I have a list of names some of which appear more than once. How do I create/filter this column to produce a list of names without duplications? Click on the first name in the list. Then go to "Data", then "Filter", then "Auto Filter". "MikeD" wrote: > I have a list of names some of which appear more than once. How do I > create/filter this column to produce a list of names without duplications? Mike Select your range then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter. "Unique records only" and "Copy to a new location" if don't...

Conditional formatting on named text field
I have a named cell called AltFundingQuote. This cell is populated with a drop down box with the text options of Cost Plus, ASO, or Prospective. When setting a conditional format for the following - it doesn't work. I'm trying to only display the text if the condition is true by using a white font and white background in the formatting. =OR(AltFundingQuote<>"Cost Plus",AltFundingQuote<>"ASO") What am I doing wrong? Sharon, You say it doesn't work, but you don't say in what way. And I can only guess what your objective is. The statement ...

Wrong name now...
I bought a used Acer Netbook. It is terrific. It has XP on it, that I may leave or may change to Vista. I don't want to lose the applications, so I'll probably leave it as is. My problem is that the prior owner's name - "John Smith" - is built into Windows somewhere. I have changed the name of the user to Paul, but his name comes up frequently. How can I change it to my name? TIA, Paul The name is set as the RegisteredOwner under this key in the Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion steve "Paul Hobe...

split excel into multiple sheet
Dear all, I have an excel with huge data, i want to split data of workbooke into multiple sheet in same excel. I want to split by using column head. in my case it is R.O., I want to split by R.O. wise. and new sheet should be name automaticaly by R.O. name. I will be very thankfull if any one give me solution for this.. Hi yogi Start here http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "yogi" <yogesh.pankar@paramounttpa.com> wrote in message news:f22eacea-7b8c-411b-a6d0-b20c02bc25aa@y7g2000prc.googlegroups...

OU name change
I just changed a user's last name due to marriage. I made the new last name the primary. When I opened the inbox, the inbox was empty and all of her subfolders are empty. The calendar, tasks, contacts are there. How can I get all of her inbox plus the subfolders back? We are on Exchange 2003. Thank you! Can you detail exactly how you changed the name? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97D6FA6E-6C27-437A-AC7C-C44CEA7C4A5E@microsoft.com... >I just changed a user's last name due to marriage....

excel 2007 localized function names -> english names
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C89E65.327C1FA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Is there any way how to change localized function names in excel 2007 to = english ? It's silly, that MS localized also this. Thanks for replies ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C89E65.327C1FA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable =EF=BB=BF<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> &l...

First field on Tab is a dropdown -- how do I stop it from scrolling
Hi, I have a custom entity with multiple tabs. The top field in each tab is a dropdown field. When the user moves from one tab to another, the first field in the tab is automatically highlighted in blue and activated. Now if the user wishes to scroll down the page, they end up scrolling down that first pull down menu, changing the input -- unless they click out of the field first. I know I can arrange fields so that the first one is not a pull down menu. But I would really like to have that as my first field. Any suggestions on how I can stop it from scrolling? Is there some code to 'n...

last logged on by #2
we know when other users access my calendar the 'last logged on by' is shown as whoever accessed my calendar. This "feature" does not reflect the true meaning of what 'last logged on by' stands for. How does calendar or accessing free/busy works in stamping the user in 'last logged on by' field on ESM? How these two fields are related? Any documentation on how free/busy or accessing calendar works behind scenes? Thanks, This will get you started http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=730&query=calendar+mapi&catalog=LCID%3D1033&am...

A button to navigate to the last page of view
In all the views, there is a first page, previous page and next page. It should also have a last page to allow user to navigate to the last page and not clicking the next page multiple time to go to the last page ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://...

How to get the last value on a column?
Hello: Could anybody please tell me how to get the last value that has bee calculated on a column? IE: Say the column has 100 spaces but only 50 have been calculated so fa (Starting from the top & going down), how can I get Excel t write/choose the last calculated value, say on top of the column fo information purposes. Any help would be appreciated. THANK -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I hope I explained my request. But just to be sure, what I want is to be able to choose the las calculated value on the column so that I can use it for othe computation on the same ...

Blank cells in named range- how to ignore them when making my graph? Help plz!

How to retrieve last saved version.
Accidentally deleted a saved workbook by saving a blank workbook in its place. Any way of retrieving the data saved prior? Only if you have backed-up your file or saved it in multiple folders. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Deichelb" <Deichelb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56852A0F-1E58-4913-BD78-4BC83FA515D9@microsoft.com... > Accidentally deleted a saved workbook by saving a blank workbook in its > place. Any way of retrieving the data saved prior? ...

Archiving sent message with to name
When I save a sent message it is listed with my name. i'M MORE INTERESTED IN WHO IT IS SENT TO. iS THAT POSSIBLE? Customize Current View and elect to have the To field shown. Grace wrote: > When I save a sent message it is listed with my name. i'M MORE INTERESTED IN > WHO IT IS SENT TO. iS THAT POSSIBLE? ...

Using worksheet names in formulas
Does anyone know how I can add the name of a worksheet as part of a formula on that worksheet so that if I copy the worksheet and change the name, the new name appears in the formula. eg In cell AI on worksheet named "100" I want the formula =IF(100>120,1,0) So that if I copy the worksheet and rename the new sheet "101" the formula in cell A1 reads: =IF(101>120,1,0) Thanks in anticipation Rob -- WightRob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ WightRob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&am...

Error on first screen
Hello, I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I did a fresh install of MS CRM 3 I as far as I can see all went ok. But now when I open CRM I can see the menu bar on the left side of the screen but in the detail screen there is an error that I contact my administrator. Can anyone point me in the right direction? please help. Eric van der Niet > is an error that I contact my administrator. Can anyone point me in the > right direction? please help. try setting <add key="DevErrors" value="Off"/> to "On" in your web.config of your crm si...

Nested Formulas v Named Formulas Any other solutions?
Using Excel 2003: I have a complicated quote template in Excel that does everything I need at present. This has grown from simple beginnings and I think may now have gone beyond the capabilities of Excel but the bosses want to stick with Excel. My problem now is nested If formulas. I currently have the following formula to look up a price against a part number in one of 5 separate price list files. --------------------------------------------------------------- =IF(ISBLANK(B26)=TRUE,"",IF(which_price=2,ROUNDUP(VLOOKUP(B26,'\\???srv\shared\Price_Lists\[Export_Prices...

Sorting and using the first criteria
hi, I have a very annoying problem that i can't seem to solve, so i was wondering if any one can help. Basically, i have a table with 139,084 rows, this table is made contains 11 rows each per zipcode, each row contains a zipcode, a place name, a distance value (from zipcode to place name) and a population for that zipcode. For each zipcode I need to find the row associated with shortest distance and return that row only, hence in the end only be left with 12,644 unique rows (139,084/11). The way i have approached this is by making a make table query based on the ori...

split column data
Column C has multiple codes I need to seperate the codes that start with the number 4 from the codes that start with the number 3 and past codes starting with number 4, into empty column D in the same position they were in Column C Thanks! =IF(LEFT(C6;1)="4";C6;"") hth -- pleae click yes if it was helpfull regards from Brazil Marcelo "Katerinia" escreveu: > Column C has multiple codes > I need to seperate the codes that start with the number 4 > from the codes that start with the number 3 > and past codes starting with numb...

How do I get a cell to remember the last entry and add to it?
I am using Excel 2000. I want my cell to remember the number in it and add an additional number each time I need to retotal. Jab Sounds like you want that cell to be an accumlator cell. Simple question with complex results. You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a separate source cell for adding a new total to the original. Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to have another column so you can keep track of past entries. Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4&...

first value of the month from a list of dates
Hello gurus, I've read through a list of message thread, and you guys are wonderfu ! . Experts !. Anyway, I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I have a list of share prices together with the dates. (about 20 to 2 dates in a month). How do i extract out the first day of every month from a list o database of 3 years (day by day) ? I think hard, but no avail. Help... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: - add a helper colum adjacent to your data list (lets say column C) - in C1 enter the formula: =DAY(A1) ->if column A stores your dates - copy do...

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...