Specifying next cell to jump to using Tab

I'm using an Excel sheet for a form that using would fill out.

Some of the cells are to fill and other cells are labels and guidance text.

Is it possible to specify which cell the cursor jumps to when hitting the
Tab key?

So when the user is in a cell to be filled in, by hitting Tab, he'd jump to
the next cell for entry.

Thx

0
hall (126)
3/8/2006 2:53:59 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe Data > Form would work better for you.

0
michele1 (59)
3/8/2006 3:55:33 AM
See http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message
> I'm using an Excel sheet for a form that using would fill out.
>
> Some of the cells are to fill and other cells are labels and guidance
text.

> Is it possible to specify which cell the cursor jumps to when hitting the
> Tab key?
>
> So when the user is in a cell to be filled in, by hitting Tab, he'd jump
> the next cell for entry.
>
> Thx

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
3/8/2006 9:05:59 AM
Firstly, what version of Office are you using...??

If you are using 2003, then this is possible under certain conditions:
Select all the cells that you want the user to input data. Then click
Format - Cells. Go to the "Protection" tab, and deselct the "Locked" check
box. (this means all the other cells will be locked, except for your
selected cells)

Now, click "Tools" - "Protection" - "Protect sheet."
A pop up box will appear. Only have "Select Unlocked Cells" tagged. (by
default, both "Select Unlocked cells" and Select Locked Cells" are both
tagged).
Enter a password and then click ok.
The users will only be able to select the cells where they are allowed to
enter data. By default, when using "tab", the cursor will jump to the next
available editable cell on the right, if none are found it will go to the
next row.

Hope this helps

Sean

"mjones" <michele@quality-computing.com> wrote in message
> Maybe Data > Form would work better for you.

0
SeanL

How to change the TAB width in Outlook 2003?
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the tab width from 8 spaces to, say, 4 spaces. Could you point me that? Thanks. clinton__bill@hotmail.com <clinton__bill@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the tab > width from 8 spaces to, say, 4 spaces. In what window? The Compose window? Which editor are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman wrote: > clinton__bill@hotmail.com <clinton__bill@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > I am using Outlook 2003 and can not find any place to change the...

how to chang cell color to text in excel worksheet
Hi I am very new comer in excel VBA programming please send me the VBA code how to change the cell color to text value. Atul Record a macro and do your changes to the selected cell/range and in the code you will generate something like this Selection.Font.ColorIndex = 3 where the 3 represents the colorindex for red colour which I chose during recording. Hope This Helps Regards, Mika Oukka <Greatatulpanday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a7f80629-daf7-4910-8b20-f76ec2fe7248@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I am very new comer in excel VBA programming ple...

Copying different sized cell width & height onto another worksheet
My problem is i have made a worksheet for work to enter data for testin we perform, but on this worksheet i need to copy a graph from anothe worksheet. Problem is the graph worksheet cell widths are vey smal like 1.29 (38 cells) and height is 3.75 (93 cells), now if i copy the onto the other worksheet it will resize the cells to that worksheet and the graph will be huge like over 5 pages, and if i manually resiz the cells back to 1.29 you will be able to see the graph but wont b able to read the data, as the cell width is way to small. Is there way to copy a selection from a worksheet to ano...

Use first day of month formula in a drop down list
I'm using the formula =DATE(YEAR(B4),MONTH(B4),1) where cell B4 = Today() and this works to give me the 1st day of the current month. My question is: How do I use this in a drop down list on a separate worksheet in the same workbook? I have tried to name the cell containing the 'date' formula, but it looks like Excel does not allow naming a cell with a formula. Each time I name the cell (select the cell, click on the 'name box', type name, enter) when I re-select the cell it hasn't changed the cell name. It defaults back to the row/column name. Than...

How do I use the timecard template if I am using a time clock and.
I need help using the time card template in Microsoft Excel We use a time clock and the employees punch the card when the come in and when they leave in the evening. I would like to set iup the template. HELP!!! Thanks , Gargi Hi Gargi what i've not sure about is how the information gets from the card to the excel spreadsheet - are you going to retype it? if so what assistance do you need in setting up the spreadsheet beyond ...............A.......................B.....................C........................D....................E 1.........Employee #............Date............S...

two problems using Outlook and Word
Does anyone know why it is that when I open an email in Outlook which comes in as an HTML doc, and try to respond to it, the format of the response converts it to plain text format in a hideous courier font? Which cannot be converted into HTML because the option is grayed out? Is this in some way related to the reason why I cannot now respond to emails without getting a warning that something is trying to access Microsoft Word and should I allow it and if so for how long? Whatever option I try, the result is the same, either Word opens as it should, as Word seems to open as this TXT version ...

Using CDialog as base class
Hi, Im kinda new to vc++ programming and i have a problem with CDialog, im making my own class to create skinnable dialogs with CDialog as base class, class CSkinDialog : public CDialog { public: CSkin(); virtual ~CSkin(); <i will add my skin functions here> }; In my dialog class i replaced "public CDialog" with "public CSkinDialog" but when i try to compile it i get this error: error C2614: 'CTestDlg' : illegal member initialization: 'CDialog' is not a base or member Any help is welcome :) Thanks in advance, Thomas "Thomas" <Da_Q...

input a signal into a cell and count
I wish to detect a signal in to an excel cell via a parallel port, hopefully I can then count the number of pulses over a period of time. Any help would be much appreciated RL, Get a driver/Excel template from your hardware vendor, or use software like http://www.softwarewedge.com/ HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "RL" <RL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34C41879-7972-49EA-9402-C8317DE34F38@microsoft.com... >I wish to detect a signal in to an excel cell via a parallel port, hopefully > I can then count the number of pulses over a period of time. Any help...

Excel crashes when copying cell contents to PowerPoint
Hello everybody, As the subject line says, Excel crashes after it copies cell contents to Powerpoint. The PowerPoint presentation is produced without a hitch, but as soon as I try to do anything in Excel, I get the following EXCEL.EXE application error: The instruction at "0x206019f5" referenced memory at "0x000000dc". The memory could not be "read". Here is the code I'm executing: Dim ppt As Object Dim pres As Object 'Create a Microsoft PowerPoint session Set ppt = CreateObject("powerpoint.application") 'Copy the ch...

Hi, I created a primary key when I created my table. I now want to create an index on multiple fields. How do I do that and how do I use this new index in a quary Thank you. Avaya Assuming Access 2003 or earlier, to create a multi-field index, either click on the Index icon on the button bar (it's a bunch of horizontal lines with a lightening bolt to the right), or select Indexes from the View menu. Pick a name for the index (it doesn't matter what you call it) and put that in the first column of the first empty row. In the next column, put the name of the first field you...

using outlook for email
I have windows xp and also office 200 premium.however, when i try sending an email while using explorer, i receive a message that reads "either there is no default mail client or current client cannot fulfill messaging request.Please run outlook and set it as the default mail client. I use AOL and have no problem sending email when i use it, however, when i use explorer i can't. is there a way i can set it up to be able to send an email? do i always have to open aol to send one? also, i have no idea how to configure it.also, when i try to set outlokk up, it asks for a postof...

Why no "insert copied cells"?
Excel 2007 There is probably an easy solution to this... On a completely blank worksheet, if I select an entire row or rows, copy, and point to Home > Cells > Insert, an item titled "Insert Copied Cells" appears. It is also available on the Right-Click menu. On another sheet, with a fair amount of formatting, hidden columns, macro buttons, etc., "Insert Copied Cells" does not appear -- including when I make sure to unprotect the sheet. NEVER MIND. I figured it out -- but I'll leave the post for the next confused user. If you have AutoFilter enabled, Insert C...

Writing Formula For conditional Formatting Using Excel 2000
Hi Everyone: Does anyone know how to write three seperate formulas for these questions in the conditional formatting box Using Excel 2000? 1?: Red. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is = to or less then the value in Cell B43 turn Cell B42 Red. Actual value in cell B42 and B43 are whole numbers 2?: Light Green. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is between 1% and 29.99% greater than the value in Cell B43 turn Cell B42 light green. 3?: Dark Green. If the value that is calculated in cell B42 is greater by 30% or more then the then the value in Cell B43 turn...

Using REPLACE function in Excel
Is it possible to Replace multiple lines of text in an Excel Cell as a single action - including the line returns? Manually? And did you use alt-enter to force the new line within the cell? Edit|replace what: (yourstringhere) with: (yournewstringhere) replace all When you're typing in the strings, you can use ctrl-j to represent the newline in the cell. Don't look at the screen--'cause it may not look like you're typing anything after the ctrl-j, but you are. GarryG wrote: > > Is it possible to Replace multiple lines of text in an Excel Cell as a single > act...

redrawindows don't work in embedded, what can i use?
Hi, i would like to know the alternative of RedrawWindow(NULL, NULL, RDW_INVALIDATE | RDW_UPDATENOW) for Embedded VC++. I try Updatewindows but that's not work. If someone can write me the code equivalence the that line please. There the part of the code : void CDrawingView:nMouseMove(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { if(m_Pan && GetDC()->PtVisible(point)) { if(m_pDrawing->isOpen()) { double OnePixel; VIEW drwview; m_pDrawing->GetViewProperties(&drwview); OnePixel = 1/(drwview.PPU*drwview.ZoomLevel); drwview.ViewLeft = drwview.ViewLeft ...

Is there a VOIP Control that I can use in my form
Has anyone ever heard of a VOIP Control or even an application that I can interact with. I am happy to pay for it. ie let the user make calls but my software can record the number/time/user etc. -- Regards Tom There is a dialer for a computer modem that uses TAPI which would work for VoIP phones like Vonage. There's even a wizard, just turn on the toolbox wizards and add a command button. The navigate to Miscellaneous on the left listbox, and AutoDialer on the right listbox. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com &q...

Reduce # of pages & help truncating cells
I have 2 questions that any help on would be much appreciated. 1) Currently when I go to print preview, it says page 1 out of 100000. Really there is only about 10 pages worth of data and the rest of the pages are just blank rows. I have a query so that I can't set a print area unless I want to do it everytime because the number of rows can change by a few from day to day. I know I could just check the # of pages with data and specify that each time I print, but I was hoping somebody knew a workaround for this. 2) Some of my cells have lots of text in them. When I print I want thi...

Activate macro based on cell value
I want to have a macro that constantly plays in the background lookin for a change in a cell value. When the cell value changes a secon macro activates. So far i have this but its not really working can anyone help? Sub Auto_Open() Do If Range("C1") > ("0") Then Application.Run "'Workbook.xls'!Macro" Else Exit Sub End If Loop End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi LB79 You can use the change event for this Read Chip Pearson's site about Events http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http:...

Burning DVD's using VC++
I am writing an application to burn DVDs using Visual C++. Is there any way to burn a DVD using Visual C++ 6.0 EnterPrise Edition? I have a DVD-R media to burn. What I need to do is to first format them so that they can fit any data and then burn them with data from my harddisk. How can this be done? Are there any functions to do that? I know of mciSendCommand and DeviceIoControl. Can DVD burning be accomplished by using these 2 functions? If so can you just briefly go over the procedure involved(i.e.., what functions do I need to use for the important steps involved) to burn a DVD g...

on the excel's startup i want to set a cell value to zero
on the excel's startup i want to set a cell value to zero. Sub initialization() Range("Input_Output_Sheet!D9").Value = 0 End Sub is there a way to run this macro at the excels startup automatically Michael, Presuming you mean when a certain workbook is opened, not when Excel starts up, you want to initialize that cell, put this in the ThisWorkbook module of the workbook: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Range("Input_Output_Sheet!D9").Value = 0 End Sub If you really want to do this to a certain workbook when Excel is started up, I think you'll have to pu...

Adding data to a table using a combo box in a form
I just bought ACCESS 2007 and am having a few problems. Here's the one I'm trying to figure out now. I have two tables. PRODUCERS & CLIENTINFO. I would like to use the form, CLIENT INFO TRACKING to add new data to the PRODUCERS table. I've set up the form so PRODUCERS would be a combo box. I would like to use the combo box to enter the name of the producers and have it save those names in the PRODUCERS table. That way I can continue to enter new producers in the combo box or click on the combo box and have the previously entered producer's names pop up. I...

Protect cells #5
Is there a way that I can see which cells are protected without having to select them and then go to Format/Cell.../Protection? -- Thanks Dave Do you use Format|Conditional formatting? If no, then you could do this: Select your range (say A1:X99) Then Format|conditional formatting Formula is: =cell("protect",a1) and give it a nice fill color. You could even use a cell that would allow you to show it or hide that CF formatting. I used $A$1 in this formula: =AND($A$1="show",CELL("protect",A1)) Put Show in A1 and you'll see the locked cells. Change ...

Cell borders are displayed but not printing or on print preview
I have a quote which has borders around each cell i.e. a table. However, these borders are displayed on screen but on print preview and when printing some of the column and line borders disappear. It seems that when I adjust the column width, I can get back the column borders but the row borders I am unable to get any results. What makes this happen and as I need all to print. Use Page Setup - Sheet - Gridlines or format your cells to have "all borders". regards, teylyn 'The Code Cage - Microsoft Office Help - Microsoft Office Discussion' (http://w...

Create view using data autofilter
I use Excel quite a lot, and would like to expand my ability. I use the AutoFilter feature to look at particular data. Usually it involves filtering a few different columns. I would like to set-up some "Views" that define the conditions and values for several columns. I could then click on one thing and get the pre-defined sets of data. -- Arleigh Birchler The simplest way I think is to record a macro that creates the view you want. Bart Snel "Arleigh Birchler" <ArleighBirchler@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:48B6926E-8BF3-471B-A9E7-9D...

Cell contents in Excel??
Hi all, I am developing an app with excel using VBA. I want to determine the type of content of a cell ie, is it text, or numeric, or a formula, or a hyperlink. How can I possibly do that? Any methods, events, or functions to obtain this? Please suggest. if ActiveCell.Hasformula then if ActiveCell.Hyperlinks.count > 0 then if vartype(activeCell.Value) see help on vartype for the values returned. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "A.K." <anonymous@discussions.com> wrote in message news:uHZvIDaaEHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > I am developing an app with exc...