Sorting without moving column labels

How do I sort on a specific column without having the column labels which are
in the first row of each column sorted into the list?

Thanks for any help.

Ted
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

on the data sort form, specify that there is a header row.

-doodle

0
ADraughn (8)
2/15/2007 11:49:05 PM
This did allow me to sort, but every sort I must go back and place the dot in
front of  "header_row". How do I get it to stay there? I know it can be set
that way, because I opened some other Excel files I had previously created,
and the dot was in front of "head_row" without my doing anything.

Thanks for your help.

"doodle" wrote:

> on the data sort form, specify that there is a header row.
>
> -doodle

Excel makes a "best guess" as to whether or not there's a header row.  I'm
not 100% sure how it decides this, but typically it seems that if the first
row is formatted differently than the rest of the rows, Excel will guess
that there's a header row.  I believe freezing the top row also triggers it,
but I'm not absolutely certain of that.

Rob

"Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This did allow me to sort, but every sort I must go back and place the dot
> in
> front of  "header_row". How do I get it to stay there? I know it can be
> set
> that way, because I opened some other Excel files I had previously
> created,
> and the dot was in front of "head_row" without my doing anything.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "doodle" wrote:
>
>> on the data sort form, specify that there is a header row.
>>
>> -doodle

0
rmorley (15)
2/16/2007 6:24:27 AM
Hi

If the Header is text and the data is numeric, then Excel "guesses" the
first row is a header.
If the header is text and the data is Text, it doesn't know
If you embolden the Header, then even if the data is Text, excel
"guesses" the first row is a header.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Preacher Ted" <PreacherTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This did allow me to sort, but every sort I must go back and place the
> dot in
> front of  "header_row". How do I get it to stay there? I know it can
> be set
> that way, because I opened some other Excel files I had previously
> created,
> and the dot was in front of "head_row" without my doing anything.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "doodle" wrote:
>
>> on the data sort form, specify that there is a header row.
>>
>> -doodle

0
roger5293 (1125)

sum a column containing numbers as well as #N/A
I have a column containing numbers as well as #N/A (result of a Vlooku formula). How do I sum the column to return the total of all numerica values Jack -- jackh Hi Jack Try =SUMIF(A:A,"<>#N/A") Regards Roger Govier jackh wrote: > I have a column containing numbers as well as #N/A (result of a Vlookup > formula). How do I sum the column to return the total of all numerical > values > > > Jackh > > One fix would be to trap the errors rather than leaving them in your worksheet. Instead of =VLOOKUP(A1,J:K,2,FALSE) you can use ...

Moving from Windows
I'm about to buy my first Mac--dual core, either portable or desktop. As a longtime Windows user I'm just wondering about the many Office files I have on my current system. Will they, basically, be "readable" on the Mac version of Office if I buy whatever the current version is? Having heard that a lot of Mac programs can read Windows files, I'm thinking of buying a large external hard drive and copying all of my files over to it for later use on the Mac if this is possible. Is it? Thanks, Tim Yes it is. Get Office 2004 for Mac, it should be able to handle ...

Moved spreadsheet changed link path
I have a spreadsheet that has 20 links that are to other worksheets within a directory. The main file is on a network drive that is known as P:\ in our environment. My client has linked these 20 other worksheets using P:\Finance within the main file. To troubleshoot a separate issue, I have copied the file locally to my c:\ drive. Now all 20 links are referencing the path c:\Finance. The folder path is the same as the network drive, however instead of P:\ it changed to C:\. Any idea of why? The hyperlink base in the properties of the file is empty. Any suggestions? If yo...

Moving from Outlook 2002 to 2010
I have set up Outlook 2010 on a new laptop and want to transfer my emails, contacts and calendar from my old laptop which is running Outlook 2002. I have copied the outlook.pst across from the old laptop into the Outlook file storage folder on the new one where there are three .pst files, each associated with the three email accounts I had set up and each named appropriately - recipient@domainname.pst. If I simply run Outlook 2010 I do not see anything from the file I transferred. If I rename it to one of the newly created accounts I can see the contents of my old inbox and sent folde...

merge columns
Greetings. I have data in Column B (same text in each field) that I want to add to all of the fields in Column A (different text in each field) I have tried merge & center and tried to work out how to do a CONCATENATE but am totally stuck. Is there any way to add the sentence in Col B to the end of the text in Col A without cutting and pasting on every line?? Tell me there is an easy way to do this!! If its a formula I need to use - where on earth do you write it?? Many thanks in advance =A1&B1 (as a formula in cell C1, for example) will do your concatenation (or =A1&&quo...

Need Formula To Identify Lowest Price in Column
I need a formula to identify which vendor has the lowest price for each item *Vendor A Vendor B Vendor C* *Item 1* $10.00 $11.00 $9.00 *Item 2* $20.00 $18.00 $21.00 *Item 3* $4.25 $4.90 $4.65 Thanks / MS +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: ExcelSample.JPG | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3520 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- ms10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ms...

Opening Form without data retrieved
When a bound form is openned, it automatically loads the first record of the bound recordset. How do I prevent this from happening? -- Sincerely, Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. Master MOUS 2000 Leave the RecordSource blank until you want records, then set the RecordSource. Ronald Dodge wrote: >When a bound form is openned, it automatically loads the first record of the >bound recordset. How do I prevent this from happening? > -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmon...

HOW TO: Make Excel think there have been no changes, without savin
Hi TWIMC How can I make Excel think that no changes have been made without saving the workbook. Something like in Access on a FORM where you can set Me.Dirty = False? TIA KM One way: ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True In article <D0EA4B60-1BB5-4B4B-BCD2-D9491D6B3D14@microsoft.com>, Kevin McCartney <KevinMcCartney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi TWIMC > > How can I make Excel think that no changes have been made without saving the > workbook. Something like in Access on a FORM where you can set Me.Dirty = > False? > > TIA > KM ...

Column name from recordset?
Is there a way to get the column name in access while using vba? For example I have a recordset that uses the valus reset1(1), etc. Can I figure out the name of the column it selected? "AJ" <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91F8AF50-25FB-4D8E-9EBF-082D7FD7CF84@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to get the column name in access while using vba? For > example > I have a recordset that uses the valus reset1(1), etc. Can I figure out > the > name of the column it selected? So "reset1" is the name of the recordset? Each field in th...

Total width of multiple columns
Is there a quick way of finding out the total width of several adjacent columns? Hi, I'd be intrigued to understand why you need this but here's one way. Call with =Col_Width() Select a single row of cells and tap F9 to make it re-calculate Function Col_Width() As Variant Dim C As Range Application.Volatile If Selection.Rows.Count > 1 Then Exit Function For Each C In Selection Col_Width = Col_Width + C.ColumnWidth Next End Function -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while ...

Return column number of matching cell in external range
Cell A1 in open_workbook_1 contains a text string. The same text string will be found somewhere in closed_workbook_1 within the cell range A1:Z100 How can I return to cell A2 in open_workbook_1, the column number of the cell in closed_workbook_2 which contains the text string? Thanks. Nazg´┐Żl wrote: > Cell A1 in open_workbook_1 contains a text string. > > The same text string will be found somewhere in closed_workbook_1 > within the cell range A1:Z100 > > How can I return to cell A2 in open_workbook_1, the column number of > the cell in closed_workbook_2 which contain...

Label printing #6
What is the recommended label printer for RMS or wil lanyone do? Pretty much anyone will do, there may be a list of printers recommended or "RMS certified" that may be in the MS web site, anyway I've seen zebra LP2824 and 2844 work well, as well as cognitive and datamax printers - "Faiz Amir" wrote: > What is the recommended label printer for RMS or wil lanyone do? If you do any UPS shipping ask your UPS rep for a new label printer. Then go to barcodewarehouse.biz and get item number 3351210 - comes in a case of 8 rolls. These labels work the best for our ...

Calculating percent of times a value is in a column and total #
Ok so I have a column with values in it. Say A4:A12, the values entered will always be 1, 2, 3, or 4. I need a formula that will calculate the % that say a 1 appears in that range and I need a formula that will calculate the total number of 1s in that range. Thanks! =countif(a4:a12,1)/count(a4:a12) Format as percent Regards, Fred "clbritt76" <clbritt76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28AFAD8A-88BC-4151-AE7F-5463AA6E9B68@microsoft.com... > Ok so I have a column with values in it. Say A4:A12, the values entered > will > alwa...

Move workstations to new domain
I have some Windows XP & Vista workstations that I need to remove from a windows 2003 SBS domain and join them to a new Windows 2008 SBS domain. Is there an way to keep their existing user profile after I join the workstions to the new domain so their desktop settings, favorites and applications look and work the same. The original SBS 2003 server died before I was able to do A migration. Regards Mark Hi Mark: There is a third party app that will move these settings, but it is not free, and for a small domain I would do it manually. I have seen a manual move work a...

Preserving formulas when using sort function
Hi If I have a two columns of data say, A and B and the are added together in rows in Column C eg A1 + B1 = C1 A2 + B2 = C2 etc If I then move the contents of cell A1 and put it in say A23 the value of C1 does not change because the C1 become A23 + B1. However, if I sort Column A then the value of C1 changes and the formula appears to be wrong because it now takes the new value of cell A1 How can I make sure that when the sort takes place that wherever the value in A1 ends up it is still added to B1 to create a value in C1? Any help appreciated Hi Andy, Why aren't you moving th...

Running a stored parameter query from a form without pop up boxes.
I know that you can create a query with sSQL = some SQL statment me.recordsource = sSQL I have looked at other threads that have talked about using forms!myform!mycontrol as a parameter this is good but limits the query to one form. I remember that there was a way of calling a stored parameter with something like. me.recordsource = qryPlanned With mdate1, mdate2 Any easy way to handle this? Sure. currentdb.querydefs("MySELECTQuery").SQL = some SQL statement You can call a stored PROCEDURE with ProcName Param1, Param2.... but Stored Procedures are only ...

Vista 64 Critical Updates Without Internet Connection?
I bought a refurbished computer for a customer and we're having problems detecting a Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless adapter. The first thing I think is update Vista 64 Business but there's no Internet connection on the machine. Is there a way to get all of the Vista 64 critical (and related) updates downloaded to my local dev machine then burned to a disk I can then install manually? I'm paging through the test.catalog.update.microsoft.com website at the moment but haven't done this before so confirmation may help me out. Hillbilly wrote: > I bought a refurbi...

Moving email from one computer to another
How do I transfer email folders from outlook in one computer to outlook in another computer? Thanks in advance Export all your messages to a .pst file from outlook and then import them on the other from that same .pst file. File / Import Export Wizard / Export to a file / Select Personal Folder File ..pst / Select which folder has your mail / Pick the location and the name of the backup file / Then click on FINISH. I hope this helps Thanks "Mickey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022f01c3c9ac$1a01a860$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I transfer e...

Sum From Beginning of Column #2
How do I create a formula that adds from the top of a column? Here's the situation. I have a column of numbers (with a header of "Pay"). To the right of that colum I want to keep a running total ("Yearly Total"). Every time I get paid, I'm going to enter the amount in the pay column and then I want the Yearly Total column to automatically add it. When I create a fomula (say =SUM(B2:B21)), and propigate it down, it doesn't start at the top. In others words the next formula is =SUM(B3:B22). I want it to be =SUM(B2:B22). And, if a value is not filled in on t...

Report Writer Dexterity Error
I get a "Dexterity Runtime has encountered a problem and must close" error when I try to run one particular modified report. The error occurs when I add a sort function in Report Writer. When I remove the sort, the report runs - without error. I am on GP 9.0. ...

How can I NOT include relationship columns in child nodes?
I am trying to create an XML file with nested 'child' data. I have multiple columns that comprise the data relation(s). How can I NOT include the related columns in the child nodes? Code below (should be able to cut, paste, and run directly). ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------- 'Instantiate a new dataset. Dim MyTrx As New DataSet 'Name the dataset. MyTrx.DataSetName = "OUTPUT" 'Add a transaction table. Dim dtTransaction As New DataTable &...

Grouping and printing labels
Using Access 2007. I have a very simple query with the following fields: FamID, FamName, StudLast, StudFirst, StudRoom, StudGrd I've previously created several reports based on this query, grouping on the FamID field, then sorting the students by their grade in the detail. Works just fine to pull into various letter-size documents. This is what I get: Page #1 Blah blah text FamName FamID 1StudFirst 1StudLast 1StudRoom 2StudFirst 2StudLast 2StudRoom 3StudFirst 3StudLast 3StudRoom Blah blah text Page #2 Blah blah text FamName FamID 1StudFirst 1StudLast 1StudRoom Blah blah t...

Formatting numbers as a percent without the % sign
I'm trying to format a number like .0235 as 2.35. If I use %, thenthe result is 2.35%. I just do not want to % sign. Does anyone know if that is possible to do through formatting? Multiplying by a 100 is not an option in this case. Thanks, Rich Two steps in XL2003: 1) Select the range you intend to use as your percentage range 2) Format. Cells, Percentage (and set the number of decimal paces). -- Steve "Rich Young" <RichYoung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FE573EB-290F-4F3D-B3BA-2B9813193013@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to format a nu...

Automatic printing with or without a workflow process can it be done?
Hi Guys, I don't know if i'm asking this in the right place but here goes; I'm an admin seting up Microsoft CRM 1.2 and I want to know if there is any way that i print out some basic details on to a label printer when I create a case, heres the senerio we are an IT company and when small jobs come into the repair shop i want to create the case in in Microsoft CRM 1.2 which will then in turn automaticly print out the case no. along with customer name and contact phone number in plain text to a printer, this label can then be stuck to the PC being repaired also i want the work flo...

Move Information Store
How do you move the information store on an Exchange 03 server? On the 5.5 server you could run the "optimizer" and relocate the information store. Is there a way to do this with o3? tia This should help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF001.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "smw" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:612501c42e27$172305f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do you move the information store on an Exchange 03 > server? On the 5.5 server you could run the "op...