Sorting in Excel like in Window Explorer

Hello,

I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
DE032304NL0324.

Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
in the Windows Explorer?

Thank you very much for you help in advance.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Dolly -

How are your files sorted in Explorer?  If they are sorted by date, for
example, then your extract must include the file date, and you can sort on
that in Excel.
--
Daryl S

"Dolly" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

How are you extracting these? Using VBA in Excel or just a command line
dump out to a text file?

Dolly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

0
AdamV
11/19/2009 7:12:34 AM
On Nov 18, 2:07=A0am, Dolly <Do...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. Howev=
er,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to chec=
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same a=
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

check this out:
http://excelexperts.com/VBA-List-Files-In-Folder
- then you can sort how you want.

0
Nick
11/19/2009 4:23:42 PM
Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com
0
herochenna (62)

number rounding in MS Excel

Window Redirection?

Money and Windows Mobile 5.0 Devices
I've got a new Windows Mobile 5.0 device and have found that the PPC Money client for Money 2005 will not sync to it. From http://www.microsoft.com/money/MoneyForHandHeldDevices.mspx it appears Money 2004-6 will not sync but it doesn't mention anything about Money 2007...but I can't find a Windows Mobile Client for 2007. Is there anyway to get any version of Money to sync to a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? Thanks, Don Not at present, except by using third party software such as SPB Finance/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.or...

Couldn't Find c:\windows\system32\system.mdw Message
Loaded Access 97 on my new Vista Machine and got the above message when I tried to start Access. How do I fix this ? Vista has more stringent rules about who, and how you can write to the System32 (or Windows for that matter) folder. If you have another machine with and unsecured system.mdw file try to copy it to your new one. If it lets you, you are fine, if not you'll need to work with someone in a Vista newsgroup to figure out what the problem is. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JWalker" <JWalker...

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Filters in Excel 2003

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

sort by day of the week?
Excel 2002 I have 10 years of grain prices...one price for each trading day of th year. In 'A' we have the date, in 'B' the price. What I need to do i get a list of prices for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc... Possible? (I really, really don't want to do this manually) Than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com add a column = weekday(a1,1) etc and do a sort on this colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you. You saved me 3 or 4 hours of excruciating data entry. Thi was the last step of a vital report. Now I can do my char...

Macro

Excel fun patch

Excel 2003

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Need macro help to close excel