Sorting imported text

I have a spreadsheet into which I've imported a great deal of data in two
columns only. I set out rows one, three and five of hundreds of such rows.
The cells in column A consist of place names. (The "C" following the place
name stands for "City", the "A" for "Area".) The cells in column C represent
the population of the city or area, as the case may be. I've formatted the
cells in column C as numbers.

      Albury (C)  44887

      Armidale Dumaresq (A) 24596

      Ashfield (A)  40258

I want to sort the placenames in order of their population from highest to
lowest, showing their populations as well. I tried to sort the data on
column C in descending order, but nothing happened.

I fear that may be because of my method of importing the data. I got it by
first downloading the text only of a Web page which had the data, thoughnot
in a table. I then transferred the text to the worksheet.

Is there something I should be doing which would permit me to sort the data
as I want?

Thank you.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sometimes, when you copy|paste from a web site, you'll get some HTML stuff in
the cell--Non-breaking spaces in HTML often cause the problem you're seeing.

You may want to try David McRitchie's routine to clean that stuff up:

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thank you very much for your reply.

Before seeing your post, I was able to get my data into a worksheet in a way
that avoided any HTML source material problems and so that changes my
question a bit.

I now have a column of cells, each of which has three characters at the
start and four characters at the end which I'd like to remove. However, the
bit in the middle I want to save is not of a constant length. Examples follow:

(C)4,88735.1
(A)24,59632.3
(A)140,25837.4

In the first cell, I want to save five characters (4,887), in the second six
(24,596) and in the third seven (140,258).

I've looked at worksheet functions, but haven't seen a way to reduce the
length of a string of characters by removing a fixed number of them from the
start or end of the string regardless of the string's length.

Can you point me to a way to do that?

Thanks again for your reply.

Leslie

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Sometimes, when you copy|paste from a web site, you'll get some HTML stuff in
> the cell--Non-breaking spaces in HTML often cause the problem you're seeing.
>
> You may want to try David McRitchie's routine to clean that stuff up:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall
> (look for "Sub Trimall()")
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> Leslie wrote:
> >
> > I have a spreadsheet into which I've imported a great deal of data in two
> > columns only. I set out rows one, three and five of hundreds of such rows.
> > The cells in column A consist of place names. (The "C" following the place
> > name stands for "City", the "A" for "Area".) The cells in column C represent
> > the population of the city or area, as the case may be. I've formatted the
> > cells in column C as numbers.
> >
> >       Albury (C)  44887
> >
> >       Armidale Dumaresq (A) 24596
> >
> >       Ashfield (A)  40258
> >
> > I want to sort the placenames in order of their population from highest to
> > lowest, showing their populations as well. I tried to sort the data on
> > column C in descending order, but nothing happened.
> >
> > I fear that may be because of my method of importing the data. I got it by
> > first downloading the text only of a Web page which had the data, thoughnot
> > in a table. I then transferred the text to the worksheet.
> >
> > Is there something I should be doing which would permit me to sort the data
> > as I want?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Leslie (38)
10/9/2005 11:24:02 PM
You can use =mid() to return the characters:

=mid(a1,4,len(a1)-3-4)
this returns text.

If you want to return a real number, you can use:
=--mid(a1,4,len(a1)-3-4)

you could do the arithmetic in that formula, too:

=mid(a1,4,len(a1)-7)
or
=--mid(a1,4,len(a1)-7)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks so much for your latest reply.

It turns out I was wrong in my original post to say I had a list of hundreds
of place names--I only had a list of 165.

However, thanks to you, I now have a list of 165 places in the State of New
South Wales, Australia, sorted from largest population to smallest.

If you'd like to see it, just let me know :)

Best wishes,

Leslie

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You can use =mid() to return the characters:
>
> =mid(a1,4,len(a1)-3-4)
> this returns text.
>
> If you want to return a real number, you can use:
> =--mid(a1,4,len(a1)-3-4)
>
> you could do the arithmetic in that formula, too:
>
> =mid(a1,4,len(a1)-7)
> or
> =--mid(a1,4,len(a1)-7)
>

> Leslie wrote:
> >
> > Dave,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your reply.
> >
> > Before seeing your post, I was able to get my data into a worksheet in a way
> > that avoided any HTML source material problems and so that changes my
> > question a bit.
> >
> > I now have a column of cells, each of which has three characters at the
> > start and four characters at the end which I'd like to remove. However, the
> > bit in the middle I want to save is not of a constant length. Examples follow:
> >
> > (C)4,88735.1
> > (A)24,59632.3
> > (A)140,25837.4
> >
> > In the first cell, I want to save five characters (4,887), in the second six
> > (24,596) and in the third seven (140,258).
> >
> > I've looked at worksheet functions, but haven't seen a way to reduce the
> > length of a string of characters by removing a fixed number of them from the
> > start or end of the string regardless of the string's length.
> >
> > Can you point me to a way to do that?
> >
> > Thanks again for your reply.
> >
> > Leslie
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Sometimes, when you copy|paste from a web site, you'll get some HTML stuff in
> > > the cell--Non-breaking spaces in HTML often cause the problem you're seeing.
> > >
> > > You may want to try David McRitchie's routine to clean that stuff up:
> > >
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall
> > > (look for "Sub Trimall()")
> > >
> > > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Leslie (38)
10/10/2005 12:59:01 AM
Thanks for the offer.  But I think I'll decline at this time <vbg>.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Importing Excel -> Outlook Calendar
Not positive this is the best forum for the question, but... Is it possible to import an excel spreadsheet into the calendar in Outlook? -- rsawalker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rsawalker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18771 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384501 With Outlook open, go to File>Import/Export. Haven't tried it but looks like you can with some manipulation. Best to check out with an Outlook News Group to make sure. Find the NG you want fr...

If text exists
Hi All, Not been around for a while so not even sure how to ask this... I have a spreadsheet consisting of 3 columns, column 1 is text, col 2 is a pseudo date, Like (aug 23) no year shown. colum 3 is a numeric value which can be either + or - shown as 12.35+ or as a negative 345.82- What I need to do is scan column 1 for a certain word, if it is there I need to copy column 3 into column 5 so that I can calculate the total values associated with the string. There is a possibility that there can be anything from 400 - 5000 rows in the sheet. I know it can be done, I just don't kno...

Layout of ODBC Data Import
Hi I have a database table that contains data in the following format: - Category Sub-Category Error Code CAT1 SUBCAT1 ERRCOD1 CAT1 SUBCAT2 ERRCOD2 CAT2 SUBCAT1 ERRCOD1 CAT2 SUBCAT2 ERRCOD1 CAT2 SUBCAT2 ERRCOD2 When imported into Excel I would like it to appear as follows: - CAT1 CAT1 CAT2 CAT2 SUBCAT1 SUBCAT2 SUBCAT1 SUBCAT2 ERRCOD1 Y N Y Y ERRCOD2 N Y N Y Where there is a Y wherever an error code is used for category/sub-category,...

importing addressbook?
Hello, I have got a complete databases with addresses in MS Access. I would like to import this data in my Outlook2000 addressbook. Is there a possibility to do this? Should I rename the fields and how? Can I convert it somehow? Thanks for the info Lieven Vanoirbeek > I have got a complete databases with addresses in MS Access. > I would like to import this data in my Outlook2000 addressbook. > Is there a possibility to do this? Should I rename the fields and how? > Can I convert it somehow? In Outlook click File>Import and Export. Select "Import from another progr...

Visio 2003
Visio 4, 5, 2000 and 2002 could automagically create great drawings (flow-charts) from text-files. Visio 2003 professional does not recognize the text-files my VC6 application creates :-( I there an available another not so hard technique my application can use to let Visio create my simple drawings? ; ex2_visio_import.csv Template, "Audit Diagram.vst" Shape,"1","Terminator","Start",,,,,,, Shape,"2","I/O","Some kind of input",,,,,,, Shape,"3","Decision","Test the input",,,,,,, Shape,"4&q...

show tab names as text in spreadsheet
I'm looking for a way to show a tab name, within the same workbook, in a cell as text. The tab name already exists as a reference in a formula in the worksheet where I want to see the name. For example, if one tab in the workbook is named "Sales", I'll have a formula already in the worksheet like: ='Sales'!S31. I need to show, on the same line as that formula, what tab in the workbook that amount comes from. Any ideas? Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rick Schultz wrote: > I'm loo...

Specific Text Box
I have an BeforeUpdate HandleError msg that pops up when a box that is required has been left Blank, in the same code could I place a goto function for that text box that needs input. Use the SetFocus method -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "phuser" wrote: > I have an BeforeUpdate HandleError msg that pops up when a box that is > required has been left Blank, in the same code could I place a goto function > for that text box that needs input. > > > ...

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Text On Forms Becomes Blurry/Bold
Hi everyone, I have an interesting problem that I can't find a solution to. Once a form has focus for a few seconds, some of the text becomes blurry and slightly bold. There is no code on the form that would cause this to happen. I was wondering if anyone has seen a bug like this before. This only happens on some computers that use the database. I am using Office 2003. See these images: http://www.kslab.com/normal.jpg http://www.kslab.com/blurry.jpg Thanks in advance, Joshua Joshua Did you check at the Search sites? I've never heard of this happening before. Well, actua...

Data from .txt file being read in as date, and should be text
I have a macro that reads in data from a .txt file. The data contains user IDs that consist of the first 4 letters of their name and 4 numbers. When names are read in that begin with MARCxxxx (ie MARC1234), excel is formating them as a date, and I lose the original data (even when I try to format them after the import, they are a number and the letters are not there. I've tried to format the column that they data read into before the import, but excel still imports them as a date. How can I make the import be read as text? Here is the code for the section I am reading in data for. Do Whi...

how do i count text cells in excel based on variable criteria?
I need a formula that will recalculate when the variables are changed. For example, I will input the variables for date "1/26/2010" and BU "09" and I want a count of how many assets that meet those criterion. For Acctg Date: 1/26/2010 BU: 09 Asset Count:_____ BU Acctg Date 08 1/25/2010 06 1/26/2010 06 1/25/2010 09 1/25/2010 09 1/26/2010 09 1/26/2010 Assuming in your example the date is in B1, the BU is in B2 and your data is in A5 to B10, enter this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A5:A10=B2)*(B5:B10=B1)) "anmaka57" wrote: > I need a for...

Hyperlink
I've ceated a page in P2003 which containd graphics to which I've attached hyperlinks to go to specific locations within our company website. When hovering over the graphic the whole path is displayed. Is there a way of only displaying text that I want to display? Inside the Insert Hyperlink option, the "TExt to Display" option is greyed out! Thanks I have never been able to get the "text to display" option either. You can add alternative text to an image by selecting the image > format > picture > web tab. The alt text will be visible if the image ...

converting line-delimited text into cells
I have a text file with approximately 1000 lines of data, each line is 100 chars or less. The first 15 lines are column headers (some columns are unused), then every 12 subsequent lines is one record. What is the easiest way to get each record to appear in Excel (2007) on a single line, one field per column? Thank you If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line 3. You send a clear explanation of what you want ...

Scroll bar not showing in a text box on a continuous form
Hi I'm using Access XP and have a continuos form (which is a subfrom) which contains three text boxes. Each text box has its scroll bars property set to vertical yet they don't show. I tried using the on enter event to programatically set them using something like "myControl.scrollbars=2" but still they don't show and the code doesn't generate any error. This is a pain as the user doesn't know if there's more text than what's displayed. I'd like to avoid setting the height of the text box to show an extra half line so it's obvious as this...

Display text with Unicode format (ex: Chinese) on controls written by VC6.0
Hi all, We can write a project with Debug-Unicode mode and display text with Unicode format? Ex: Chinese or Japanese Idea? Thanks. >We can write a project with Debug-Unicode mode and display text with Unicode >format? Ex: Chinese or Japanese With VC6 you can build a debug (or release) Unicode project that when run on a proper Unicode platform (like XP) should be able to display Chinese or Japanese texts (providing the font you're using has the characters). Dave Tittle bar, menu, button can display text with Unicode format when i build a debug Unicode project? We can use fo...

Changing Text to Number Problem.
I have a problem when importing information into an Excel spreadsheet. We have a system at work that has a front end Web based application (asp) that accesses an SQL database. Not all of the software is written yet, so to sort/filter data I have to copy lists of information from the Web based application to an Excel spreadsheet. Much of the information that I import (copy and paste) into the spreadsheet are hyperlinks to other information in the SQL database. To get rid of the hyperlinks once I have the list copied to my spreadsheet, I (copy and paste special, values only) the information on...

Importing Adobe Reader Files
Hi Everyone I currently receive a report from a customer in an adobe reader file. I was wanting to know if you can import this type of file into an access table so I can sort it automatically and save a lot of time? Thanks PDF is a dead end sorry but you should keep your data in a DATABASE instead of in spreadsheets-- maybe you wouldn't have such a problem if you had a decent database skillset keep everything in SQL Server MDB is for lamers On Apr 20, 10:34 am, SHARONHARRISON91171 <SHARONHARRISON91...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone > I currently rece...

how do i get rid of the text box outline around my text?
I hope you're filling your text boxes with more text than you're filling your messages :o) And you just need to read the help files, read the manuals, and look for a button marked Line Color. Set it to No Line. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm > "Ed Bennett" <the_nerd@mvps.org> wrote in message > news:%23bdlu9isEHA.3460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > > I hope you're filling your text boxes with more text > than you'r...

How do I wrap text in the subject column in the list of tasks
i seeing the list of taks in using the menu "Tasks" in outlook. However I am unable to wrap the text under the subject column that I miss the words. Even when printed in landscape the words are truncated. So how do i wrap the text in the view and print out, so that I can see all the text. You can't, you can either remove and/or resize some columns or select the entire list and paste it into Excel and modify it from there. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads,...

Disconnect frames in publisher, keep text in disconnected frames
Publisher 2000. A 125 page story. text in connected frames with many associated pictures. If add text to early pages (a family history), the pictures for a 100 + pages are no longer aligned. Would like to disconnect frames at appropriate intervals to minimise disruption, keeping text in current frames. At present it appears that text goes into 'overflow area' if frames disconnected. Can I , altenatively copy all the text and re-start somehow? Save the Publisher document in rich text format, open it in Word and do your editing, again saving in Rich Text. In Publisher, open the Wo...

Importing pst files #2
After inporting a pst files I get a double up everything... inbox, outbox, sent items, etc. How to remove duplicates. Outlook XP Goran <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After inporting a pst files I get a double up > everything... inbox, outbox, sent items, etc. > How to remove duplicates. Don't import. Simply Open it from the File menu. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn...

Open File: Sorting of folders problem
Hi, I am having a problem when I go into File | Open within Excel 2002 and the folders don't appear to be sorted in any particular order. If I go into Word, Powerpoint, or Outlook then the folders show up in alphabetical order. I have Office 97 plus the upgrade for Excel 2002 installed on my win2k system. I have also installed all the updates to Excel 2002. Any suggestions? Thanks. Best Regards, Jim Reisz Don't trust what's displayed. When you're showing the details, you can click on the header (name, size, modified, etc) and sort it. (and click on it again and sort ...

can I sort colored cells?
Hi, Can I sort a column that some cells are colored "red" and and some "yellow" in the nearby columns seperately via VBA?. Please provide a sample code that does the job. Thank you for your time. JACK Yes ! with this code (paste in a module VBA) Function MyColor(CkCell As Object) Application.Volatile True MyColor = Abs(CkCell.Interior.ColorIndex) ' not for the conditionnal color !!! End Function In a diff�rent colum, you type = mycolor(A1) and you sort by this nex column Bye -- ....Patrick Quoi que vous fassiez, faites le bien . Mail: http://cerbermail.com/...

sorting #9
i have data in column A that i want to sort by the numbers after the dash. here is an example of the data. 105487-130 159755-130 156789-140 135444-120 the number behind the dash indicates a ship to location that i want to group this data by. i have about 200 entries in col A and about 5 different types of extensions(the number after the dash). let me know any thoughts i figured it out using "test to columns" thanks "brianb" wrote: > i have data in column A that i want to sort by the numbers after the dash. > here is an example of the data. > 105487-130 &...

filtering or sorting by sender time zone
I would like to optimize my opportunities for rapid two-way dialog by email. For example, when I read my email in Boston at 7:00 AM, I first respond to email from India, who are nearing the end of their day, then from Europe, who are about 6 hours ahead of me, and so on. Currently, I do this just by looking for specific senders and handling their email first. But, it would be great if I could write a filter that would sort email into GMT + 5.5, GMT+2, GMT, GMT-5, and GMT -8. Is this possible? Thanks, Rob ...