Hello,
I have an excel worksheet which has a list of file names from a
directory and various stats about each file. I need to be able to sort
them by the file extension.

Eg.

c:\documents\folderA\picture1.eps
c:\documents\folderB\document.doc

I would like to sort them by the ".eps" extension. I have tried using
the Data,Sort menu and something like *?*.eps as the criteria. But am
obvisouly missing something.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Karl

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could use a helper column to extract just the extension then
include this in your sort range and sort on the helper column. You will
need a formula like:

=RIGHT(A1,3)

to get the extension, assuming the full filename and path is in column
A. Copy the formula down.

Alternatively, you could use Data | Text-to-Columns using . as the
delimiter to separate the extension into another column.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
4/3/2006 2:46:41 PM
Thanks Pete
I'll give that a go.

Karl

Let us know how you get on.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

Public Folder link to Excel File

Renaming Partial File Names

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

sort by day of the week?
Excel 2002 I have 10 years of grain prices...one price for each trading day of th year. In 'A' we have the date, in 'B' the price. What I need to do i get a list of prices for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc... Possible? (I really, really don't want to do this manually) Than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com add a column = weekday(a1,1) etc and do a sort on this colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you. You saved me 3 or 4 hours of excruciating data entry. Thi was the last step of a vital report. Now I can do my char...

sorts not sorting

If a worksheet name is = to test then a msgbox appears
I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. For example, if the name of a sheet in a workbook is equal to test then display msgbox saying sheet already exists. Thanks Vick dim ws as worksheet set ws = nothing on error resume next set ws = worksheets("test") on error goto 0 if ws is nothing then msgbox "doesn't exist" else msgbox "already exists" end if Vick wrote: > > I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. > > For example, if the name of a sheet in a w...

Outlook 2007 PST files and temp files
When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how can one do this...? Thanks, Tom... "TK" <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> wrote in message news:Ovq2RUgvJHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When I have PST files on the server, I notice that there is a temp file > accompanying it when Outlook is loaded. > > Would loading the temp file on the local PC make Outlook quicker, if so, how > can one do this...? You shouldn...