Sorting by Date in Pivot Tables

I have a worksheet I would like to make a pivot table from. My problem
is that when I do it, the months and years don't appear in calendar
order but rather alphabetical order (i.e., April comes first, January
is further down). How can I format this to have the pivot table show
January of 2002, rest of 2002 and then start January 2003?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Julia,

If you entered the dates as string values, then Excel will sort them as strings.  If you enter the dates as dates, then Excel will
sort by date.

Format the cell with January 2002 as Number.  If it stays January 2002, then your 'dates' are actually strings.  When it changes to
37257, then you have actual dates, and Excel will work as you expect.

HTH,
Bernie
Excel MVP

"JuliaW" <JuliaW.ti47n@excelforum.com> wrote in message news:JuliaW.ti47n@excelforum.com...
> I have a worksheet I would like to make a pivot table from. My problem
> is that when I do it, the months and years don't appear in calendar
> order but rather alphabetical order (i.e., April comes first, January
> is further down). How can I format this to have the pivot table show
> January of 2002, rest of 2002 and then start January 2003?

0
deitbe (120)
9/10/2003 12:13:02 PM
if yoiu change the format to yy-mm-dd or yy-mm then it should sort by year
then month

"JuliaW" <JuliaW.ti47n@excelforum.com> wrote in message
> I have a worksheet I would like to make a pivot table from. My problem
> is that when I do it, the months and years don't appear in calendar
> order but rather alphabetical order (i.e., April comes first, January
> is further down). How can I format this to have the pivot table show
> January of 2002, rest of 2002 and then start January 2003?

Date #9
One column has the date which I enter manually. If I type 15may it converts immediately to 15-May which is great. But how can I get the line to enter dates automatically? What I need is to enter one date (say, 20 May) and for all lines below to automatically add 1 day at a time, either at the time of starting the line, or even before in one go. Thank you very much JB You can use a formula, if you add the date in A2, in A3 put =IF(A2="","",A2+1) copy down as long as needed and format the cells the same way as in A2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "JB"...

Date and Time
Is it possible to have a cell show the current date and time without entering it, like in word? Nick If you want the current date and time, updated whenever a calculation occurs, use =NOW(). If you want to enter the current date, without updating, press CTRL+; -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Lord Of The Morning" <Not@aol.com> wrote in message news:vmjpgijrjvs5c5@corp.supernews.com... > Is it possible to have a cell show the current date and time without > entering it, like in word? > > Nick > >...

Date Problem !!
hi there i have a big problem with the dates. i enter 09/10/2005 in a cell and it changes to 10/09/2005 !! big problem. it shows 10/09/2005 in the cell but 09/10/2005 in the formula bar !! 2 different dates very confusing is there a way of telling it to use just one kind ??? thanks -- cassy01 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cassy01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=780 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473175 It's the same date, it's just formatted differently o...

Pivot Table Source Data
I have an existing Pivot Table that usually updates daily, albeit this relies someone in the office refreshing the data. Anyway we seem to have missed one days data and thought we would be clever and just include the days missing data back into the source data. In effect we are putting the 8th September data between the 7th and the 9th. However no matter what we do the data from the 8th ends up as the last column in the pivot table. Are we missing something really simple here or has my brain turned to mush? thanks for the help in advance. Bryan P.S I also tried creating a dynamic range but ...

pivot table grand totals not showing for all columns...
i have a pivot table that shows the grand total for some columns, but not for others... there are no differences in the data layout, yet this happens? any clues as to why? and how I can get the grand totals to show for all fields. thanx in the PivotTable floating toolbar, click PviotTable, then Table Options, select 'Grand totals for columns' option. ...

Question about Date validation
Hi All, I'm working on a form for weekly data entry. I'd like to create a date field where the user will enter the date the week ends (ie week ending Friday, June 25th). Is there a way to write code so that Access will check that the day the user inputs is a Friday (and if not they will recieve an error message)?. I know how to program the error message pop-up box, but I have no idea how to write code to check if the date inputted is a Friday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Use the WeekDay function If WeekDay(Me.DateField) = 6 Then MsgBox "Error" En...

Grouping dates in pivot table
I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table. Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. This is a field I would like to group by in the pivottable. I am aware of all the techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly from a sql query. I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent formats with no success. Any insights into this would be appreciated. Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell and paste sp...

how do i change dates on my calendar and keep my pics
Publisher doesn't support this. You would need to do it manually. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bob T" <Bob T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68671977-F71B-444F-AE72-801D2B359FEE@microsoft.com... > ...

Hiding tasks with due dates in the distant future
I'd like to display only my tasks for the next month or so. How can I filter out those that are in the distant future or recurring tasks that won't be due until next year or the year after? Hi, Goto the Tasks folder. Goto the Customize current view. Click on the Filter Button. Goto the Advanced Tab. Under define more criteria, clickon the Feilds and then select All Task Feilds and then select Due Date. Then under the condition Select Between and then in the Value enter the range of dates ( say 3/8/2004 and 3/10/2004 ). Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Ambe...

Data Tables
In Excel 2000, must data tables (Data\Tables...) always be located on the same worksheet tab as the source data? I want to put summary tables into a separate worksheet (tab), but Excel won't let me do that. Steve Looks that way, at least in Excel97 (my ver) But we could always mirror the data tables (or parts thereof) elsewhere (eg: another sheet) via simple link formulas -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Steve D" <sdrenker_(you_know_what_here)_media.sj.nec.com> wrote in message news:ufhMsZfyFHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10....

dates
Hi there - I am a new user, have only started using excel 2 days ago but am really enjoying it. I have managed to create timesheets that automatically calculate the time spent on a project. Anyway, enjoying it very much. So, I have dates running down the left hand column (A), eg, 05.10.05. Currently I am inputting these by hand because if I drag that cell down it creates 05.10.06, 05.10.07 etc. I have messed with the 'custom' setting and changed it to 'dd.mm.yy' but this has not solved it. Any help much appreciated. By the way, it's excel 2001 for mac. Tom -- small ...

Formatting data table
I have a data table shown under a diagram. However it won't display all the decimals. I.e. in the input to the diagram for january 2006 is 1.123, but only 1.1 is shown in the data table. The only solution seems to be to enlarge the diagram but this is not an option in this particular case! As a last resort I could embed a table under a traditional diagram without the data table, but that is second best. Looking forward to any help If you right click on the data table you can change the font size by clicking on 'format data table' and the font tab. You can type in the size ...

Pvt Table Question
I am creating several pvt tables that will be updated often with new data. I want to know if there is any function within a pvt table that I can use to set up my pvt table so that only the top 10 data points are automatically displayed. So for example, if i have pvt table set up to show brand name and then accounts for each brand name and I sorted on accounts descending and only wanted the pvt table to show the top 10 brands that had the highest total accounts. Is this possible? Thanks. Hi, To show the top 10 values for a field - double-click the field heading, click 'Advanced' ...

Historical Stock Status As of Date
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C8845C.ADFC9B50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I'd like to know whether anyone has encountered an issue wherein the As = of Date that is printed in the Historical Stock Status Detailed by Item = does not follow the date as indicated in the report options screen. = Currently we are trying to print the said report but no matter what date = we put in, the As of Date that prints on the report is set to 30 Jan = 2008. Is there anything that we...

Find the number of years between two dates
I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to automatically add their ages in another column Try this Formula, assuming that the dob is in cell A1 =DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days" regards Mukesh "duke" wrote: > I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to > automatically add their ages in another column On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:47:02 -0700, "duke" <duke@disc...

Sorting messages by sender
I've recently changed from using Outlook 2003 on an old Celeron PC running Win 2k, to a new P4 machine with XP. On the old set-up, I could click on the 'From' column header to sort messages in a mail folder by sender, then start typing the name of the sender to quickly take me to the messages from that person. This was very useful and I used this feature regularly, although it only seemed to work for the first three characters of the name, the fourth character entered would then take the cursor to the first instance of a name beginning with this letter. This was fine as the firs...

How can i use a command button to validate date and time
I have two command buttons, each on a different sheet. i need both of them to put the current date in one cell on its sheet and current time in another on its sheet. i also need these cells to be locked so the user can only edit these cells by clicking the command button. Any answers? ...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

Todays Date that does not update
I created a macro and a button that when clicked it entered todays date in a cell, which is what I wanted. I used "Today( )". Problem is the date keeps updating to todays date and I want it to stay the date I entered it in. Is there some other value or formula to do this so it does not update everyday? Thanks!! You need to enter the date itself. Any function will always update to the current date. Ctrl+; will enter the current date in a cell. In VBA, use Range("A1").Value = Date -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC...

2 existing spreadsheets show 1st line rather than header row to sort ...
(XL2003) This is odd, I haven't seen this ever before. I was working on spreadsheets yesterday for a mail merge. Two had headers rows. I cleaned up both documents, put print area and then tried to sort. In both cases, what came up in the sort was the first row below the header where one always sees the actual titles of the header row when one selects the Header Row radio button under "My List Has" in the "Sort" box. I fiddled and fiddled a bit and managed to get one of the workbooks to display the sort properly by the header row titles - without figuring out what ...

DATE 01-04-08
Hello again! I am using this code =DateSerial(Year([Opened Date]),Month([Opened Date]),Day([Opened Date])+10) on my form....is there a way for the date to get recorded in the main table as well. because on the form and the report it shows up, but not in my main table...do I need to run an update querie or something??? Any suggestions?? Thanks Ransom Ransom, It would be simpler like this: =[Opened Date]+10 Is Opened Date a field in the same record as where you want to record this calculated date value in the table. So this date, whatever it is, will always be 10 days after the Ope...

date confusion
hi im new to excel 2007 i want to ask that when i type 7/4 in a cell excel thinks that the slash is division operator so it divides it ?? but in different cell it interpret it as date ok another problem is that when I enter 7/4 in the different cell excel interpret it as 4-Jul only but How do I display the year too ? even if i type 7/4/2008 or 7/4/08 it still shows 4-JUL ? Help please thank you very much Format the cell as m/d/yyyy, you created the d-mmm format by just entering 7/4 so you need to reformat the cell to the date format you want. Always use the full date when entering dat...

Money using wrong date to calculate ROI YTD
I have opened a new file in Money to track investments for a stock club. I entered all transactions, which go back to Jan. 2002. When I look at performance for the account, the ROI YTD is not accurate, as Money is using values for the stocks going back only 6 months form the date I enterd the transactions rather than the values as of 1/1/03. What to do? In microsoft.public.money, Brooks wrote: >I have opened a new file in Money to track investments for >a stock club. I entered all transactions, which go back >to Jan. 2002. When I look at performance for the account, &g...

Merge & Sort Dynamic Lists w/ Data Validation
First off, let me say thanks to the Excel Usenet community that has helped me over and over through these newsgroups. You are phenomenal. Question 1: I need to create a BOTH box that will dynamically pull names from both the "Chicago Office" & "Seattle Office" columns in my sheet. It is extremely preferable to do this without VB Script if possible to avoid the security warnings on opening the sheet. (Our IT department will not budge on this..) Detail: I have two lists of employees. Column A lists the Chicago Office employees. Column B lists the Seattle Office employee...

Sales Distribution Entry table
Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales Distribution Entry window? Thanks. On Feb 27, 10:44=A0am, ALGP <gpjef...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales > Distribution Entry window? > > Thanks. SOP10102 ...