Sort Order is Mixed-Up

I use an Excel 2003 worksheet for storing the results of my medical lab
results.

One of the columns is labled "Component" and contains the names of the
tests.

I have formatted the cells in this column as text.

I also have a column for the dates of the tests.

When I try to sort by Component, the rows don't end up in alphabetical
order.

Rows 2-13 are sorted alphabetically from CORTISOL to SODIUM

And then it starts over and rows 14-70 are sorted alphabetically
ADDITIONAL FINDINGS to VITD-25 OH

I'd be grateful for some ideas on how to troubleshoot and solve this
problem.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Is it possible that you have a space character in front of some of the data?
That may not be immediately obvious but would explain the grouping.  Perhaps
the data has been imported from somewhere else ?

Regards

Trevor

"Clueless in Seattle" <spamless_in_seattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I use an Excel 2003 worksheet for storing the results of my medical lab
> results.
>
> One of the columns is labled "Component" and contains the names of the
> tests.
>
> I have formatted the cells in this column as text.
>
> I also have a column for the dates of the tests.
>
> When I try to sort by Component, the rows don't end up in alphabetical
> order.
>
> Rows 2-13 are sorted alphabetically from CORTISOL to SODIUM
>
> And then it starts over and rows 14-70 are sorted alphabetically
> ADDITIONAL FINDINGS to VITD-25 OH
>
> I'd be grateful for some ideas on how to troubleshoot and solve this
> problem.

0
Trevor9259 (673)
7/24/2006 6:20:00 PM
Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:
> Is it possible that you have a space character in front of some of the data?
> That may not be immediately obvious but would explain the grouping.  Perhaps
> the data has been imported from somewhere else ?

Bingo!

Many thanks!!

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

You're welcome.  Thanks for the feedback

> Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:
>> Is it possible that you have a space character in front of some of the
>> data?
>> That may not be immediately obvious but would explain the grouping.
>> Perhaps
>> the data has been imported from somewhere else ?
>
> Bingo!
>
> Many thanks!!
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"

0
Trevor9259 (673)

New items with purchase order integration
I'm running a daily integration to bring purchase orders into GP using Integration Manager. The source is a text file. It works very well. The problem I have is with new items. When there is an item in the source file that does not exist in Great Plains, I would like the integration to fail or skip the line item. Currently, it brings the item into the Purchase Order as a non inventory item. The document will show the item number and the cost but no item description. Where can I change the behavior for this? Unfortunately, with the users that put non-inventory items on POs Wh...

View pareto chart by sorting the max number on the bottom
Is it possible to format the pareto chart by sorting the maximun number show in the bottom of each bar and ignore sort by Legend item? The order is determined by the Row Source of the chart. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "sq75222" wrote: > Is it possible to format the pareto chart by sorting the maximun number show > in the bottom of each bar and ignore sort by Legend item? > > ...

Sort Order on Order Fulfillment Window
In the sales order fulfillment window you can sort the lines items by Order Entered or Site/Bin/Item. Does the Site/Bin/Item only sort by Bin if Multi-bin is used? I am not using multi-bin but have created bin for each item in each site on the Quantities/Sites window. thanks. ...

Sort House Numbers
How can I get excel to sort house numbers as I would like, i.e 1,2,2a,3,4,5,5a,5b, et. etc. So far I've ailed miserably. Any help out there? TIA Mike G Hi Mike, You will have to separate the digits into a separate cell. Extraction of a Group of Digits and Dashes, from postings by Harlan Grove Extract the First Set of Digits (#DigitsFirstID) http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/grove_digitsid.htm#DigitsFirstID -- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvp...

change order in which gwes loads display, touch, hid drivers
I cannot figure out how to do this, but I need GWES to load the display driver FIRST (for a splash screen implementation). Cannot find any registry values that accomplish this... any ideas? Come on guys, somebody has to know the order in which driver's are loaded by GWES.exe and how to alter it.... MS gentlemen???? I don't think that's going to help. What you really want to do is load the image in the bootloader, since, by the time GWES itself loads, you're probably 75% of the way through the boot process. As far as I can recall, GWES loads the keyboard, mouse, a...

Change Order date?
I have situation where we had to enter some orders into CRM like 3 weeks after the fact but there was no way to to back date them when entering so that they fall into the proper months reports, etc. Any help out there on how I can change the dates at the database level? Look in the SalesOrderBase table. Mike "SteveT" <drumguy61-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4635de59.0402120638.1bd39e41@posting.google.com... > I have situation where we had to enter some orders into CRM like 3 > weeks after the fact but there was no way to to back date them when > entering ...

Why doesn't the page preview have the same order as work page?
Why doesn't the preveiw page look like the one I built on the work pages. I have "saved as" and "saved. The nagagation bars in preview goes to different pages than titled. HELP!!!!!! ...

Sorting Stacked Columns
I am trying to sort the columns so that the largest value is on th bottom each year. This would change the order of the series over eac year presumably. I have not figured out a way to do this, and fear i may be VBA related. Any ideas? Thanks. I attached the file for viewing Attachment filename: testbook_stackedcols.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=61644 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Insert Blank Line and Sort
------------liX6Lxsnq7Ovs6LAASpU5y Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15; format=flowed; delsp=yes Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Within a worksheet I have an example of data below consisting of four columns. I need to put a blank line in between the Racecourse (where they change) and after do a sort on Rating (high to low). Is it possible? I could do it with a macro, but am unable to fathom out how to deal with a differing number of horses at each racecourse. Time Racecourse Horse Rating 04:30:00 SANDOWN Dare To Dance 0.261 04:30:00 SANDOWN Garud 0.153 04:30:00 SANDOWN Wes...

Sorting Issue (Mixde Fields)
I have an issue where I need to sort a worksheet based on a field (Bin Location)that is sorting as seen below... 1A1 1A20 1A21 1A22 1A3 1A4 How can I get Excel to sort it the following way... 1A1 1A3 1A4 1A20 1A21 1A22 Please help.... I need to get this figured out today. I appreciate any responses. Thanks, Jonathan G. One way: add a column showing the length of the column you want to sort, then sort using the new column then the "real" column. "Jonathan G." wrote: > I have an issue where I need to sort a worksheet based on a field (Bin > Location)that is s...

Large List Sorting
Hello, All! Have a problem. I'm developing an application which reading a large database file (DBF) and displaying it in the list control. Because of the size of the file (>15 MB, later it will be increased) I'm using a virtual list (owner data). But now I need to sort data in the list. AFAIK to perfirm this I should read the whole file. In this case my program starts several minutes!!! It doesn't have to be like this [(C) Pink Floyd]... Is there any methods to load a large amount of data as quickly as possible? Or I just should humble, 'cause sorting of large amount of d...

How to sort in Excel with headers link to all body parts
I have a table that have subheaders and each subheader with rows of items below them. I wanted to sort all subitems from all subheaders according to value (in one column); and have each subitem link to the subheader as label for that particular item. I guess what I need to do is link a cluster of items to it subheader; so when I sort each item will include the subheader as label to show what subheader it came from. ...

Purchase order Processing
Hi, A purchase order that was received, not posted, got posted in error. What is the best way of "reversing" this error? -- P McCarthy Hi-- You would enter a return, transactions>>purchasing>>returns trx entry. If it was only received, you would choose to enter Return type. If it was received and invoiced, you would enter a Return with Credit. Please note, this will NOT open the PO back up to be received, you will have to enter a new PO or if the PO is not completely received, you could also edit it to increase the amountt to be received. Take care, Christina N...

Sorting Notes
I use the Outlook Notes program quite a bit. But, there are two problems I have with it: 1. It sorts most recent to oldest -- is there any way to change the sort order to alphabetical? 2. I'd like the default "note" size to be a little larger? Is this possible? Thanks I can answer part of this one. To make the note a little larger - Tools, Options, Note Options, Size. Judy Freed <EHPorter> wrote in message news:414a4d0d$0$55835$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com... > I use the Outlook Notes program quite a bit. But, there are two problems I > have wit...

Coments on a Work Order
Hello I have been using the system for almost 2 years, and the following error, which began after I install SP 1.3, is driving me crazy. I sell items that require serial numbers. I had added the term "S/N:" on SubDescription 1 for some items. This is where my problem comes to life, Ex. I create a work order for a client, add some items to it, and add the serial numbers. I save it, so I can do something else. After recalling the Work order, none of the coments (not even the S/N) are on it. I have check the Configuration \ Options on the manager and it seems to be ok. Any sugge...

Back Order Question
Hi, Have a back order question. Normal back orders are working right. In that if you have 10 and the order is for 15. During the lineitem transtaction it will put 5 in the backorder field automatically. What we need is if the customer orders 15 and we have 20, but only ship 10. We want the BO field to automatically fill with 5. Is this possible. Thanks in advance. Dexter Southerland It depends on how you fulfill and if you have cancel and bo enabled in the document types. If you have these enabled and are using Use Separate Fulfillment, you can select 10 to ship and set 5 to BO. T...

Printing PDF Files in Order
I have a table with links on it to PDF files. I would like to print the files in the order that they appear in the table. When I run the code to print out the files, they seem to come out of the printer in a random order. Below is a snipet of my code. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do Until myRecordset.EOF tempname = myRecordset.Fields(1).Value If tempname <> "" Then tempname2 = Replace(tempname, "#", "") If fso.FileExists(tempname2) Then ADOBEPATH = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" PDFFILE = tempname...

Mix and Match / Discounting (HQ)
Mix and Match and Discounting using HQ is very diffcult if you require more than one location to have different discounts for the same product. EG: Item 123 @ Store A is Discount on Mix and match but isnt at Store B Although the above can be applied there is much difficulty in turning that discount back off or having 2 types of discount for the same product in different regions. HQ control over discounts with time control and reporting over the items on discounts should be made easier for large store deployments. -- Regards, Ivan Brebner Premium Retail Solutions ---------------- Th...

Sort #2
How do you sort 5 or more columns? They must be contiguous columns. Select them all together *before* you choose <Data> <Sort>. Never, never, never allow XL to choose your sort range for you. Never, never, never use the sort icons on the tool bar. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79F803D9-B933-46B9-8E49-9E22079E22C1@microsoft.com... How do you sort 5 or more...

Sorting a-z | z-a ... removing pop-up "Sort Warning"
When I have, for examples, several columns of data, and I highlight one column and click to sort that one column, I Always get a pop-up window with the title 'Sort Warning' that asks me if I really meant to do that, or if I wanted to include the other text nearby. Is there any way to remove that pop-up? I've yet to ever use it and I'd rather not have to keep closing it if possible. Any help that you can provide would be great. Thanks. Matt I don't know of a way to remove it -- but it took years to get that warning in there. I'm surprised that it hasn't sav...

Global Address List Sort
I have taken over a network and have an Exchange 2003 server. The admin before I has somehow sorted the Global Address book with he Groups at the top, but any new group I add just go into alphabetical order with the other users. I have been searching around and can find nothing about this. All the users here are use to this and would like to continue with it. Any help would be great. On 8 Dec 2006 07:24:24 -0800, "Coleen" <coleen33@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have taken over a network and have an Exchange 2003 server. > >The admin before I has somehow sorted the Globa...

Include back ordered items on Pick ticket in 8.0.
A change was made to the printing of the Pick ticket in version 8.0. As part of that change the ability to print a pick ticket including back order items was eliminated. That flexability needs to be put back into the product. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the messag...

Ordered Printing
Do you know if there is a way to do ordered printing of an entire workbook? bess wrote: > Do you know if there is a way to do ordered printing of > an entire workbook? Not sure what you mean. Doesn't the following work for you? File >> Print And click on "Entire workbook" ...

Sorting Problem 03-19-07
I deleted a previous question on this, but I now can't view the thread. Please accept my appology. I need to start again. Field: DBxInst: ([DBNum]*1000)+[Inst Num] Field: TheSortOrder: IIf([Forms]![boxSeatsForITI]![MySortOrder]=1,[BankName],[DBxInst]) The Sorting and Grouping window contains TheSortOrder. When MySortOrder = 1, the report is sorted correctly by [BankName]. When MysortOrder = 2, the report is not sorted by [BankName], nor is it sorted by [DBxInst], because the value of DBxInst is WRONG. But if I put [DBxInst] in the Sorting and Grouping window instead of MySortOrde...

Hide Price on Work Orders
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had modified the invoice/workorder xml file to hide the prices when the work order is printed. The workorder will be used as a picking list for warehouse workers, so it is preferred that the price not be shown. Then after the work order is recalled, the sale will be tendered. An invoice with the pricing should print. I noticed that if you make a change in Database/Registers/ReceiptFormats - pick the full page receipt, then assign a different Work order format, uses only THAT format for the Work Order and Invoice, thus, there is no price on the invoice...