Sort limitation; How many columns can be sorted?

I was trying to sort many columns. The item in the sort was an integer
in column AA. My Excel did not give me an error message, but the sort
failed. I did not realize that the sort failed.

Is there a limit on how many columns can be sorted?
would having more RAM memory help? Does Escel use virtual memory?

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
0

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:32:03 -0700, Salmon Egg
<SalmonEgg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I was trying to sort many columns. The item in the sort was an integer
>in column AA. My Excel did not give me an error message, but the sort
>failed. I did not realize that the sort failed.
>
>Is there a limit on how many columns can be sorted?
>would having more RAM memory help? Does Escel use virtual memory?
>
>Bill

Perhaps the Sort failed for a reason other than the number of columns
in the table.  For example, if your data was text representations of
integers rather than numeric data, the sorting might not be what you
expect.

0
ron6368 (329)

Help with columns #2
Hi How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? Thanks! Hi - first there's a maximum of 256 columns :-) - You can only use these 3 columns (you can't delete the other columns) - if you like you can hide the other columns. Just select theses columns and goto 'Format - columns - Hide' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rich wrote: > Hi > > How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather > than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? > > Thanks! See one answer in m.p.e.newusers Please d...

update column

Override Limit
Customer credit limit override approval workflow Hello all, Just wondering if/where we can have the override credit limit just in effect on either the Order or Invoice and not both. TY No, the concept is that when you clear a credit hold on an order the customer must have paid their bill our you increased their credit, which would allow it to move forward as an invoice, unless, of course, they over charged and under paid again. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our...

XML Serialization:: Too many ArrayList elements
I'm using XML Serialization to try and get this structure: <LibraryCategories> <LibraryCatgeory>1</LibraryCatgeory> <LibraryCatgeory>2</LibraryCatgeory> <LibraryCatgeory>3</LibraryCatgeory> </LibraryCategories> My class has a public property called LibraryCategories, of type ArrayList: [XmlElement(Type = typeof(LibraryCategoryItem))] public ArrayList LibraryCategories; In addition, I have class which defines the LibraryCategory item: public class LibraryCategoryItem { public string LibraryCategory; } The proble...

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

can i download lxce serv.exe

how many receivers i can add

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

sort by day of the week?
Excel 2002 I have 10 years of grain prices...one price for each trading day of th year. In 'A' we have the date, in 'B' the price. What I need to do i get a list of prices for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc... Possible? (I really, really don't want to do this manually) Than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com add a column = weekday(a1,1) etc and do a sort on this colum -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you. You saved me 3 or 4 hours of excruciating data entry. Thi was the last step of a vital report. Now I can do my char...

Can't configure Outlook Express

sorts not sorting

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...