sort certain datas in a wide range of datas

Say I have 3 columns with lots of datas:
Column A: Order #
Column B: Part#
Column C: Catergory #

A2:   Order# 021006     B2: 111       C2:  Wire
A3:   Order# 021006     B3: 222       C3:  Machine
A4:   Order# 021006     B4: 333       C4:  Tool
A5:   Order# 021006     B5: 444       C5:  Tape
A6:   Order# 021007     B6: 222       C6:  Machine
A7:   Order# 021007     B7: 333       C7:  Tool
A8:   Order# 021007     B8: 444       C8:  Tape
A9:   Order# 021008     B9: 111       C9:  Wire
A10: Order# 021008     B10:222       C10: Machine
A11: Order# 021008     B11:555       C11: Bearing

What I need to do is to set up macro to do the followings:
1. Show a list of all order # without repeating # (in this example, i
should show only 3 orders 021006, 021007,021008)
2. Show only part # in 3 catergories within the above orders: Wire
tool and tape.

I would appreciate for any of your help

Thanks

Chri

--
go4cd
go4cdt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3258

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think what you need is a filter and not a sort.
You can do this directly without a macro.
Select Data, Filter from the menu and proceed from there.
(select 021006 in column A, and Wire or Tool in column C)
This will only give you the possiblity of 2 categories.

If you need more than that you will need a macro with
a more elaborate filter.  You will need to create a user form with fields
for Order#, Part#, Nomenclature etc.
that the user can enter appropriate data and then a command button that
executes the filter.  Also you might
consider another column entitled Catagory that contains an appropriate code
and then filter on that.

Glen

"go4cdt" <go4cdt.24u6qm_1142637000.9332@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:go4cdt.24u6qm_1142637000.9332@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Say I have 3 columns with lots of datas:
> Column A: Order #
> Column B: Part#
> Column C: Catergory #
>
> A2:   Order# 021006     B2: 111       C2:  Wire
> A3:   Order# 021006     B3: 222       C3:  Machine
> A4:   Order# 021006     B4: 333       C4:  Tool
> A5:   Order# 021006     B5: 444       C5:  Tape
> A6:   Order# 021007     B6: 222       C6:  Machine
> A7:   Order# 021007     B7: 333       C7:  Tool
> A8:   Order# 021007     B8: 444       C8:  Tape
> A9:   Order# 021008     B9: 111       C9:  Wire
> A10: Order# 021008     B10:222       C10: Machine
> A11: Order# 021008     B11:555       C11: Bearing
>
> What I need to do is to set up macro to do the followings:
> 1. Show a list of all order # without repeating # (in this example, it
> should show only 3 orders 021006, 021007,021008)
> 2. Show only part # in 3 catergories within the above orders: Wire,
> tool and tape.
>
> I would appreciate for any of your help
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>

> --
> go4cdt
> go4cdt's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32580
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=523800

Hi Glenn;
I tried to use the filter option, but I could never get close to what
need. In column A, I have more than 50 order numbers that change daily
The very first thing that I need to do is to click a button that i
turn, will show me a list of all order numbers I receive daily (withou
repeating numbers). The pivot table will give me that but I have to g
through many step to get me that.
I really appreciate for your help.

Chri

--
go4cd
go4cdt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3258
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52380

How do i sort contacts using more than one catagory ?
I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific catagories. Can this be done, if so how? thanks "samong" <samong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01E99022-AB21-487B-9365-2E66BB0C3F1B@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one > catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific > catagories. Can this be done, if so how? The Category field is non-sortable because it is a multi...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

First row in Selection range (first index of a cell)
Hello, I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection Range or return an index of the first cell in Selection Cell. I have something like this: .................... Range1.Select "and here I want to Select the first range in selection Range1" ............. I there any special function of finding first cell in selection range or returning an index of the first cell?? Thanks for answet Marcin Maybe range1(1).select or range1.cells(1).select or range1.cells(1,1).select mar_male@wp.pl wrote: > > Hello, > I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection...

data points #3
I have a scatter chart with the following info : sales price, square footage, and subdivision. With the x and y axis being sales price and square footage. There are some entries where i will have several sales in one subdivision and i would like all those points to show up in the same color. How do i get several points to show up in the same color instead of excel assigning each entry a new label? Include all the related points in the same data series, rather than as a different data series for each point. -- David Biddulph "affordablegreen" <affordablegreen@discussion...

Money 05 cuts off data
B of A (Washington) using Yodlee & msn to sync data. The problem I'm experiencing is that the Payee field is being cut off. I've used /using the Payee Rules Manager, which has been working to a certain extent. My question is... What is the size limit for the payee field? A typical transaction from bofa(WA) looks like "PURCHASE 5xx29xxx658xxxxx3 ON 12/30 AT CASTLE ICE RENTON WA" When synced as configured above all i get is a very small portion, maybe part of the actual name. Second question is when trying to do a manual export from bofa (Wa) website I have the opt...

find data in multiple open workbooks
Im looking to find data in multiple workbooks that are all opened at once. Is there a way of doing this? ...

Moving data between Excel sheets
"I have an excel spreadsheet that has 2 sheets, one has a list of open issues" and one a list of "closed issues". One of the fields on the "open issues" sheet has a "closed date" field. Whenever a date is typed into this field, I would like for it to be moved to the "closed issues" sheet, to avoid duplicate, manual entries being done. Can anyone help me with the best way to achieve this? Can this be achieved by using Macro's. Any help with this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Suggest you send this to the programming newsgroup...

Export a range to a text file
Hello need some advise on how to procede I need to be able to create a text file containg some text as well as data that is within a named range in excel and then some more text. I can handle printing to the text files using cell values etc but am unsure of the best way to print the ranges data. Is there a way or procedure to just print the range as is in csv format? As well my range will contain about 6 columns, each containg a number field (formatting of decimal places is important, some have 2 dec some 3 etc) Also the range has a max of 50 rows however will always contain lower rows of...

Looking up data from Access
I would like to extract data from MS Access into Excel '97 to populate single cell, preferably imitating the 'vlookup' function, i.e. give the value of an Excel cell, the related field name in the externa database query, and the field with the value to return, it wil populate the current cell with this value. Not sure how clear that is. Let me know if it isn't, and thanks fo any help you can give -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I've found a solution using the SQL.Request workbook function, whic does what I need. However, I need to populate many cells...

Sorting #11
How do you sort a list with more than three sort keys? First sort on least significant key(s) Then sort on most significant keys HTH -- AP "Fran" <fpeale@comcast.net> a �crit dans le message de news: %23pS%239BXeGHA.1856@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do you sort a list with more than three sort keys? > You need a helper column. In this should be a formula concatenating all the fields to be sorted. =A1&B1&C1 ... This will sort only in ascending order. You will need to include the value of dates (not the actual dates) - &VALUE(A1) or &...

Saving data in Access table with VB ?
I have a form with a button and if you click the button, a list of invoices are generated and saved in the table 'Invoice'. Problem is, the data isnt saved :( Here's my code: Private Sub Knop0_Click() Dim Invoicenr As Long Dim Invoicedate As Date stdocname = "Invoice" DoCmd.OpenTable stdocname, acViewNormal, acAd Invoicenr = 111111 Invoicedate = Now DoCmd.Save acTable, stdocname End Sub What am I doing wrong ? Answered in microsoft.public.access "Bauhaus" <niemandhier@pandora.be> wrote in message news:7Exii.2418$yf6.1885@biebel.telenet-ops.be...

Formula to reference another worksheet, locate data, then record i
Hi All, It has been over 10 years since I did my Excel studies and I've unfortunately forgotten everything I haven't used regularly. My office has recently upgraded to Office 2007 (upgrade not being the descriptor I'd have chosen!) and I'm struggling with Excel. I've found my way around most issues, but I'm REALLY stuck now and suffering Friday-itis on top of it all! Essentially I have a multi-sheet workbook for my debtors ledger. Each page has separate columns for the customer numbers, names, total debts in each age range (7 days, 14 days etc), totals and lastl...

Entourage has stopped retrieving just one certain person's email
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop I have been receiving all my emails normally apart from just one sender, who i previously had no problems with. The email is sitting in my inbox when i log in via the browser account, however it just doesnt get sent directly from the sender. if I then send this person's email to myself, it gets delivered to my inbox. THe problem ahs only started in the last week, no settings have been changed and every other email is getting delivered. <br> My hosting provider says it is not their issue and they don...

merge and center data
I wanted my data value to be arranged in a way where it is in middle alignment and are merged together as one whole column; without the lines in between. So I use the merge and center icon. But it says merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most data only. How to merge and center the data and yet retaining all the data value at the same time? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =A2&B2 replace A and B with the columns you want to merge, copy d...

Is it possible to find multiple data?
We have a small lotterysyndicate in work which is all logged onto an excel spreadsheet. Is it possible to search all numbers and all occurances at once, rather than individually? Ie - we have 15 lines of 6 numbers each - can i search for all 6 numbers drawn, across all 15 lines in one go? Im sure this must be possible - just dont know how. Thanks -- stewwie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ stewwie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37128 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Automatically update Value for data label
Hello I am using Excel 2003 SP2, and have some graphs which have the value (data label) for the last month. Each month new data is entered and the data label has to be deleted for the previous month and the data label for the most recent month added (it still uses the same old data - new data is only entered for the most recent month). Is there any way where the data label can automatically update with the most recent months value (as the chart updates itself automatically currently). Any ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards, Nav ...

Sort search results by date
It would be nice if i could sort my search results in this forum by date. I would like to see my most recent questions at the top. -- Sheri Salomone THANKS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroup...

cant send email to certain accounts
I started having an issue sending emails to any .net account yesterday. Here is the error I keep getting. I also can not get the Windows Mail help to open up. I click on it hit OK when the box pops up and nothing else happens. Thanks The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, ple...

Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added
Hi, One of our users sent me an Excel file of 6 MiB. It has 7 worksheets. Most of them have <100 rows and AH columns, one sheet has 13160 rows and AH columns. The large sheet has autofilter enabled, but no actual filtering is done. (yet) 4 columns have validation: they allow a list of values specified in a range somewhere else in the sheet. There is also conditional formatting. It takes >30 seconds to calculate the sheet, however there are no real calculations, just a few concatenated string. My first impression is that this is yet another example of Excel (ab)used as a database. The p...

BYTE Data type and UNICODE
I am converting MFC application to UNICODE. Please inform if BYTE data type is UNICODE enabled. If not how can I convert it to UNICODE. Thanks for your reply Regards Alpha BYTE is typedef'd as unsigned char, so is independent of UNICODE. If you have used that type correctly (i.e. as an 8-bit unsigned integer, rather than as a character), you should not have to convert it. Keith MacDonald "Alpha Siera" <AlphaSiera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C837E1E-AB84-4245-85EC-FD206491306E@microsoft.com... > I am converting MFC application to UNICODE. Pleas...

Transfer data manually onto other database
Hello, I am needing to transfer data onto a Mysql database. I have had some advice and am trying to find a software solution. So main features are to be able to migrate large amounts of contacts and data every day. The migration should be done manually. Thanks a lot! Look here: http://www.kitebird.com/articles/access-migrate.html#TOC_6 and here: http://www.bullzip.com/products/a2m/info.php Regards Kevin "Guertas" <Guertas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDFFC964-C78A-446E-A7AA-5F4E632FF20A@microsoft.com... > Hello, > >...

how to retrieve data from password protected web pages?
how can I retrieve data from password protected web pages in excel? ...

sorting by last char
Hello, I have a table where in a column there is something like: 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c and so on I wish to sort by the last char to look like: 1a 2a 1b 2b 1c 2c I tried Tools/Options/Custom List using *a,*b,*c to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks You can extract that last character into a helper column using: =3DRIGHT(A1) and copying down as needed. Then you should include the helper column within the data range when you sort, and sort on the helper first, followed by your other column. Delete the helper column when you've finished with it. Hope this helps. Pete On Sep 18, 12:52=A0am,...

Data Validation #17
Hello Forum, up to now, I am working for a very long time on solving followin problem: I would like to insert in one cell a whole number between let's sa 1-596. There is a list with all numbers, which are already in the exce sheet, and should not be allowed to enter to the cell...it should b profed, if the number i want to enter from 1 to 596 is allready in use if so, there should come up a alert message. Is this possibe, probabl with a vlookup in data validation? What should i precice do? Thank you very much in advance, greetz Mteepe -- mteepe ---------------------------------------...