Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?

At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN
formulas.  Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN
formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN
value?  At least the row number?

Ed

0
ed_millis (164)
9/29/2006 6:45:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ed,

To return the row

=MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false)

 or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999

=ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))

or to return other matching information, like a name in column A
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eugtkd$4GHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas.  Is there some way
> I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the
> displayed MAX or MIN value?  At least the row number?
>
> Ed

0
Bernie
9/29/2006 6:55:58 PM
Use the MATCH function, which returns the relative position of the
matched cell. Assume your values are in A1:A2000, your max value is in
A2002 and your min value is in A2004. Enter this formula in B2002:

=MATCH(A2002,A$1:A$2000,0)

then copy this to B2004.

You might have several values that are the minimum (or maximum) - Match
will find the first in the list. As it gives the relative position,
then if your data starts in A10 instead of A1, then you would have to
add 9 on to give you the row number.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Ed wrote:
> At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN
> formulas.  Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN
> formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN
> value?  At least the row number?
>
> Ed

0
pashurst (2576)
9/29/2006 7:00:09 PM
"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> To return the row
>
> =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false)
>
> or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999
>
> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
>
> or to return other matching information, like a name in column A
> =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE))
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN
>> formulas.  Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and
>> MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or
>> MIN value?  At least the row number?
>>
>> Ed

0
ed_millis (164)
9/29/2006 7:55:00 PM
Sorry for the accidental but blank reply.

I tried the ADDRESS formula, but came up with a #NAME error??
   =ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$5:U$4597,FALSE),COLUMN (U$1))
You gave
> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
which I tried to copy well, but must have done something wrong??

Ed

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> To return the row
>
> =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false)
>
> or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999
>
> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
>
> or to return other matching information, like a name in column A
> =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE))
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN
>> formulas.  Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and
>> MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or
>> MIN value?  At least the row number?
>>
>> Ed

0
ed_millis (164)
9/29/2006 8:01:19 PM
You have an extra space here:

COLUMN (U$1))

but you should use

=ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$1:U$4597,FALSE),COLUMN(U$1))
or
=ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$5:U$4597,FALSE) +4,COLUMN(U$1))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uwK4IIA5GHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Sorry for the accidental but blank reply.
>
> I tried the ADDRESS formula, but came up with a #NAME error??
>   =ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$5:U$4597,FALSE),COLUMN (U$1))
> You gave
>> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
> which I tried to copy well, but must have done something wrong??
>
> Ed
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
>> Ed,
>>
>> To return the row
>>
>> =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false)
>>
>> or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999
>>
>> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
>>
>> or to return other matching information, like a name in column A
>> =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE))
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eugtkd$4GHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas.  Is there some
>>> way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has
>>> the displayed MAX or MIN value?  At least the row number?
>>>
>>> Ed

0
Bernie
9/29/2006 8:09:51 PM
Thank you, Bernie!  Taking out the space and adding the +4 did the trick.
The +4 threw me at first, then I read up on MATCH and realized it returned
the _relative_ position, which would be off since I start in row 5 vs row 1.

Thanks for the boost.
Ed

> You have an extra space here:
>
> COLUMN (U$1))
>
> but you should use
>
> =ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$1:U$4597,FALSE),COLUMN(U$1))
> or
> =ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$5:U$4597,FALSE) +4,COLUMN(U$1))
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry for the accidental but blank reply.
>>
>> I tried the ADDRESS formula, but came up with a #NAME error??
>>   =ADDRESS(MATCH(U4604,U$5:U$4597,FALSE),COLUMN (U$1))
>> You gave
>>> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
>> which I tried to copy well, but must have done something wrong??
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
>>> Ed,
>>>
>>> To return the row
>>>
>>> =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false)
>>>
>>> or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999
>>>
>>> =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1))
>>>
>>> or to return other matching information, like a name in column A
>>> =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE))
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Bernie
>>> MS Excel MVP
>>>

>>> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
ed_millis (164)

autofit: cell height expands with text entered?
For a form: can a user enter mass quantities of text in a cell and have the cell depth expand so it fits? does Merging Cells limit this ability? I made a giant cell to handle the text the user might enter. I can't figure out where to set this... I have copied & pasted formatting from one worksheet to another without luck. Thanks. Sandy Merged cells don't adjust rowheight for wrapped text (like non-merged cells do). Jim Rech wrote a macro called AutoFitMergedCellRowHeight that you may like: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 Sandy wrote:...

Select last value
I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero, and the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that work. Help appreciated. try =match(a number larger than possible,your range) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Carl" <c@invalid.com> wrote in message news:eciLEKsvFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am > using the COUNT function to designate the bottom va...

Go To the next empty cell in Column A
Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10 columns. In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the list. With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on screen. With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name.. I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel ...

User defined functions aware of what cell they are placed in?
Hi, I would like to make a user defined function which needs to know in what cell and what worksheet it is placed in. I will be using this UDF in multiple cells on multiple worksheets. I originally just passed the cell row and column as parameters to the UDF however this ended up updating all worksheets and not just the one the UDF was on. Is there any way to do this? Option Explicit function myfunct(something as somethingelse) as something msgbox application.caller.address & vblf _ & application.caller.parent.name & vblf _ & application.caller.pare...

copy date in a cell if within a date range
Column M is a listing of percentages Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the date is in another year, leave cell T3 blank Thanks "carrerapaolo" wrote: > Column M is a listing of percentages > > Column A is various dates, anywhere from Jan 1, 1998 to the present. > > I need to copy the contents of let's say M3 into cell T3 is the date in cell > A3 is any date in the year 2010. If the ...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Sent Mail items not showing up
Using Outlook 2002 w/SP2 on WinXP Pro. Unable to view items in Sent Item folder (Outlook shows normal blank window with "there are no items to show in this view") even though the Item count in the lower left shows over 2600 msgs in the Sent Items folder. It keeps increasing as new msgs are sent. Using the standard view, all standard columns, with NO Filter set. Anybody seen this before? Any ideas? ...

IV40100.MAINLOCN
I am trying to determine where the contents of IV40100 (Inventory Control Setup) are determined. I have ocated most of them from the Inventry Control Setup window/form, but cannot locate where the contents of the following fields are set: MAINLOCN (Main Location) DISABLEAVGPERPADJ (Disable Avg Perpetual Valuation Adjustments) DISABLEPERPADJ (Disable Perpetual Valuation Adjustments) Does anyone know from what where these values are set without using Query Analyzer, or are these fields that are not currently being used by Dynamics-GP? The resource descriptions indicate tha...

Go To an address specfied in a cell
Hello Folks, Does anyone know how I can move the cursor to a cell, the address of which is specified in another cell? Here is the scenario. I enter a list of hours worked in a specfic week on a data entry sheet. I hit a button and the values are copied to a data summary sheet, the position depends on the Week No., the first cell is specfied as the address "Data!29" for Week 5. I reckon I can handle a recorded macro to copy and paste the data but how do I locate the correct start cell? I have tried copying and pasting into the GoTo box but that doesn't work. Data!J29 Wee...

Help with displaying the contents of the last populate cell.
I have numerous sheets within a book where all cells in column C in all sheets have the following formula “=IF(ISBLANK(P4),"",(R3-P4))”. For you reference both columns P and R hold a monetary value and are formatted as Currency. Is there a way that cell D1 can automatically be populated with the contents of the last cell in column C that has a value in it. E.G. Sheet 1, cell C19 has a value of 200, therefore cell D1 should be 200. Sheet 2, cell C25 has a value of 250, therefore cell D1 should be 250. Sheet 3, cell C99 has a value of 900, therefore cell D1 should be 900. Any h...

Formula to process 3 cells using IF statements
I have 3 columns of experimental data (C:E). Row 30 contains the sums (C30:E30). I need a formula that will examine the three sums and return the column number that has the lowest sum. If more than one column is lowest, select one randomly. Example: C30 D30 E30 Result 10 11 12 1 (C) 22 20 21 2 (D) 32 31 30 3 (E) 40 41 40 Randomly select 1 or 3 51 50 50 Randomly select 2 or 3 60 60 60 Randonly select 1, 2, or 3 Can this be done with IF statements or do I need to write a macro? Well, this is a bit cumbersome, but it se...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...

Publisher calendar, how can I show the previous/next month?
I need to show the past and previous months in blank days at the top of a per month calendar, but can't see how to do that. Thanks. Create a yearly calendar in a new publication. Ungroup, copy the separate months, paste to your main calendar. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jennie" <Jennie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF4CF698-ABB8-4F01-A667-CC6AA87A9732@microsoft.com... >I need to show the past and previous months in blank days at the top of a per > month calendar, but...

Microsoft publisher, how do I set it to show multiple pages?
I'm trying to show more than one page in a single viewing pane. As in for the use of a banner. You'd think that'd be a simple and accesable function. I don't see it anywhere... Print preview has this function. Not sure if this is what you are asking... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "BrickShort" <BrickShort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B42E0DAE-9DB6-4587-A157-3C2F5225FA02@microsoft.com... > I'...

Coloring the Desired cells
Hello, I have a work sheet in which i have to look for word "Test" and color the rows below it. There are different words like "Test 1" "Test 2" and each set needs a different color. Can I get some help with the macro for it? eg: Test1 row 1 row 2 Test 2 row 1 row 2 the number of rows in each group is not constanr. Thank you, Harsh Excel will need to know the logic of the rows and colors to be able to determine how many rows to color. You say the number of rows is not constant, but obviously you know how many rows to color. How do you know t...

Do a calculation in cells with text data format
I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for further calculation? Your guidance to accomplish it is appreciated. Thanks, Ray Example? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ray" <NoSpam-ZQLi@GMail.com> wrote in message news:ei$Jbmy$FHA.216@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I have a few columns of cells having a mixed data format of number and text. > Is it possible to convert the first row of numbers in text data format for > further calculation? Your guidance to accomplis...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

how do I change cell references automatically in formulas
In Excel 2000, I have data in 80 rows and 10 columns. Each week I add a new row. I have a separate chart for each column with the data range from the first row to the last.. Each week I have to change the data range to reflect the new last row for each chart. Is there someway I can do this automatically? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "jnw3" <jnw3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A3551F9-FBC6-4841-95B4-618AB1893190@micros...

Cell can left indent; anything for right side of cell?
Is there a way to leave more space between the end of a word and the right side of the column? I indented the left side of the column by using the indent option set to "1" in the alignment tab of the formatting box. Besides adding an extra column to the end of the row and making it very small in width and extending the border to that extra "spacer" column, is there a way to make this space? My spreadsheet is done and if I have to do this, I'll have tons of work re-writing code. I was going to use Word for the final presentation of the data, but it didn't work ou...

A Square is Showing Instead of a Period for a Currency.
In my spreadsheet, a square is showing in the currency amount rather than a period. For instance, if I need to have $400,000.00 in the cell, it gives me $400,000Square00 in the cell. I can’t draw a square from the keyboard here, so I typed in the word SQUARE here instead of drawing it out. This only happens to one user’s login with admin rights. If I login as local admin to the PC, to access the same excel file, it doesn’t happen. Anyone any idea? I will appreciate it. I'd look in windows regional settings. Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings applet. Look ...

Defining same name for cells in different sheets
Does anyone know the answer to this one? I want to give the same range name to the same cell reference in a series of worksheets. I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names on a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the sheet (try it, it works!) But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data on the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need another range name. I haven't found any way to define a new range name and apply it to the same range on several sheets. This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried. (3- d referenci...

Alternating cell shading colors for every other merged cell
I am trying to get every other merged row to be a certain cell shading color. There is some discussion in the newsgroups about alternating colors for every row, but in my case I had merged cells and the formulas given didn't turn out right on my tables since they were based on the row numbers. Does anyone know how to have alternating cell colors for merged rows? (the merged rows are random sizes) Thanks. Not an answer to your question I'm afraid, but just for info, most people in here steer clear of merged cells like the plague - they tend to cause far more problems than they ever se...

GP ver 10 SP 2
Hi Folks I am testing in the Fabrikam company and I have been able to duplicate an error that is happening at my client in their live data. I capture a PO for stock code 100XLG for a qty of 2 at an extended cost of ..25c. The system displays the .25c as the extended cost but it displays ..26c as the 'Remaining PO Subtotal' value. The PO on 'blank' form also prints up a total of .26c. It's fine if I use an extended cost of .24c or .26c and I understand that as the maths division works out fine. Does anyone have a solution to this problem please? Thankx in advan...

Show progress bar during Serialize
Hi,all I want to show a progress bar during Serializtion of a large file, how can I get the progress of Serialize? Any comment is very appreciated! B/R Daric "Daric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<04bb01c39d49$edd21f10$a001280a@phx.gbl>... > Hi,all > I want to show a progress bar during Serializtion of a > large file, how can I get the progress of Serialize? > Any comment is very appreciated! > B/R > Daric May be easier to use the wait cursor, search help on CWaitCursor If you really want a progress bar, you could crea...