Show results in bold if a cell is in bold

Good morning,

I have this sheet with some data and other one with results. The
results are calculated with hlookup from the data. Data that changes
weekly are introduced in bold. Is there any chance to show the results
of the data in bold in bold as well. I mean, if the data is in bold,
resulta must be in bold. If data is without format, must show without
any format. I supposed we would need to use a macro. Is it possible?

Thank you so much for you support
0
Diana
12/20/2009 2:00:30 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Formulas don't bring back formatting.

But maybe you could use a helper cell in the original worksheet that shows if
this is a change (put an X if it is and leave empty if it's not).

Then you could use that helper cell (same kind of =hlookup()) as the basis for
conditional formatting.

In fact, I'd use the same thing in the original data, too!

--

Dave Peterson
0
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 06:00:30 -0800 (PST), Diana <dianamrcoach@gmail.com> wrote:

>Good morning,
>
>I have this sheet with some data and other one with results. The
>results are calculated with hlookup from the data. Data that changes
>weekly are introduced in bold. Is there any chance to show the results
>of the data in bold in bold as well. I mean, if the data is in bold,
>resulta must be in bold. If data is without format, must show without
>any format. I supposed we would need to use a macro. Is it possible?
>
>Thank you so much for you support

Formulas and functions cannot return formatting.

It is probably possible to do what you want.  It would involve either using
conditional formatting with "helper cells" on the "results" worksheet; or a VBA
macro.

But the actual solution will depend on the specifics of your implementation.

How do you know if the "Data changes weekly"?
--ron
0
Ron

Cell Wrapping Help
I changed the default height of the cells on my spreadsheet to 17.25. I have a cell "Comments" set to wrap text; however, it does not. If I double-click on the far left column (e.g., the bottom of the cell in question) it automatically adjusts. I need this "Comments" cell to grow and enlarge as if the cell was at a default height of 12.75. Any ideas without having to double click on each cell? I have over 5,000 lines. Thanks for the help!! Nevermind, figured it out. ...

=CELL("filename") returns #VALUE!
Dear Friends, When I use =CELL("filename") in Turkish regional style, it gives #VALUE! error but if I change the settings to USA, it works! Why? And how I can solve this ? PS: I use an english office 2007 and I use the formulas in English, no problem with any of them. But I got error with this. Thanks & Regards, Presumably you need to use the Turkish equivalent of "filename" in that formula. I have no idea what that might be, but if you have Turkish help, try looking up 'CELL function' in help, the info_type is listed there, hopefully it ...

MATCH, VLOOKUP? How to get T/F Result?
In one sheet of a multi-sheet workbook, I've got a column of customer numbers. In a separate sheet, I've got a column of customer numbers which represents a subset of the whole customer list. I need to be able to add an alpha code (single letter) in a separate column on the first sheet if the customer number on that row is contained in the subset list on the second sheet. Logically, Excel needs to look at the customer nimber on sheet 1 and try to find it on sheet 2. If it does find it, place an "A" in the cell, if it does not find it, leave the cell blank. I've e...

2003 slow to show updates/changes
Hello all, I as lots of people am used to 5.5. When changes were made on this server details and settings were changed instantly. How come when i make changes on my new 2003 server the changes do not take effect for the properties of a clients mailbox for approxiamatly 30 minutes. I changed the mailbox limit. Why does it take so long? Surely it does not have to replicate to all the other 2003 servers. I changed the settings on the server for the user whose mailbox was also on the same server. Without knowning much about your setup, it's hard to tell. But, changes do have to replicate...

"Show in folder" never works
Several applications on my system have a "Show in folder" option. None of them work, though they did in the past. The applications include most browsers, for example. It is unlikely that they are all ding something wrong. I presume they are just launching explore.exe with suitable parameters. There's nothing wrong with explore.exe on my system as far as I can tell (other than this problem). Any suggestions? -- Steve Swift http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html http://www.ringers.org.uk "Swifty" <steve.j.swift@gmail.com> wrote in message news:f...

Outllok Today doesn't show message count
The last time Outlook hosed over my PST file, even though I've created a completely new one, my "Outlook Today" page won't show the number of messages in any folder that include on the page. I'm using Outlook 2002 (10.4712.4219) SP-2. Any ideas? -- Brian Tillman Internet: Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace dot com Smiths Aerospace Addresses modified to prevent SPAM. 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Replace "at" with "@", "dot" with "." Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 This opinion doesn't represent that of my company ...

Macro to coppy cells to certain rows depending on value in cell
I want his macro to after it have inserted the colmns and added the formula to 1. copy range A1 to E1 to every row where the word "Header" is in colmn F. 2. Then copy paste the whole sheet as values. 3. Then the range now standing left of "header" must be copied to the empy cells beneath each heading. For example a b c d e f 1)12/12/2005 F001 SAO3 1 CCE Header 2) Detail ...

define a cell with the value of anothe cell
I'm very new to excel and i think i just don't understand a basic function but i couldn't find it under the help menu. how can you define a cell using a letter and then a value of another cell? here is an example W15=5 D5=10 my guess was =D(W15) which i would like to equal 10, but i get a name error Hi Todd Try =INDIRECT("D"&W15) -- Regards Roger Govier Todd Duncombe <Todd Duncombe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm very new to excel and i think i just don't understand a basic > function but i couldn't find it under the help me...

Merge/consolidate text cells based on unique keys ?
Hi all. I hope someone can help me out. I have an Excel worksheet with 2 columns: 'Client #' and 'Invoice #'. Every time the accounting dept. generates an invoice, a new row is added in this worksheet. Obviously this is chronological not per Client #. But for the sake of simplicity, let's assume the worksheet is already sorted by Client #, like so: A B Client # Invoice # 231 5929 231 4358 231 2185 231 6234 464 1166 464 1264 464 3432 464 1720 464 9747 791 1133 791 4930 791 5496 791 6291 989 8681 989 3023 989 7935 989 8809 989 8873 My goal is to achieve...

how to set up a simple variable in Excel, but cell location independent
Can you please show me how to set up a simple variable in Excel, but this variable must be cell location independent. Because this worksheet will be sorted and cell location re-arranged and moved. That mean for example, In one worksheet, I set variable numb = 5 other cell at different location value display will have function such as numb*2 = 5*2 = 10 Then, other time, I set this same variable numb = 12 then, the call value will display numb*2 = 12*2 = 24 Thank you. You might try a named formula. From the Menu Bar, <Insert> <Name> <Define> In the "Names In Workboo...

Calculated Fields showing error results
I am trying to get a calculated field to work within a pivot table. The two fields in the pivot table which I'm referencing are sales and Profit dollars. I want the calculated field to show gross profit dollars (percent to total sales represented by profit), but without any error values (!value, div/0, etc.) where there are no sales for a particular line (i.e. customer) in the timeframe I'm analyzing. The formulae I've tried are: =If(iserror(Profit/Sales),"",(Profit/Sales)) =if(isna(Profit/Sales),"",(Profit/Sales)) =if(isnumber(Profit/Sales),(Profit/Sal...

not showing zeros on chart
here is the scenario x-axis months 1-12 corresponding to jan-dec y-axis dollars how do you prohibit the series from taking a dive to zero for the months that have no value assigned yet thanks for all replies activate chart tools options chart <plot empty cells as> choose your requirement. <GeneralNuisance@Rme.net> wrote in message news:ch5gt1lncdgp3gpsnse6brrbegemaiorn2@4ax.com... > > here is the scenario > > x-axis months 1-12 corresponding to jan-dec > y-axis dollars > > how do you prohibit the series from taking a dive to zero for the > mont...

Converting custom cell properties to text
Hi, I have a column of cells with telephone numbers in it and I wish to convert - or copy and paste these cells - into text format. For example, I have a telephone number as 083270000 and the cell properties (Format > Cells > Category) is listed as "Custom" and the "Type" is listed as "000000000". When I conduct a copy and paste, I lose the preceding zero before the eight. But I need this to remain and I need all the cells in "Text" format! Any ideas on how to do this? Regards Hnelg Format the column as text-go into Format>cells>cu...

Delete Table row with first cell not empty
Hi, I need a macro to do the following: I have a table like this, starting in row 6. ] ] A B C D E 6] 1 N N N 7] 2 N N N N 8] 3 N N N N 9] 4 10]5 11] 12] 13] etc. 100] Rows 11 to 100 are empty. I want to select area A1:E100 and delete all content from table rows A9:E9 and A10:E10, because these table rows have empty cells from columns B through to E. The rows are marked by an ID number as in numbers 1 to 5 above. When cells in columns B to E are found to be empty, the content of the table row, including the row ID, must be deleted. Note, this is not deleting t...

Dates...not showing as dates
Whenever I use a series of date ranges in a chart the display on the axis becomes a series of numbers (IE 1,2,3,4.....) rather than the dates(01/01/2004, 02/01/2004,03/01/2004......). Very frustrating...not sure why. Anyone? Dave - Two possible reasons. 1. Excel isn't using that range of data for the X values. You need to select the entire range when you start the chart wizard, or add what's needed in step 2 of the wizard, or using Source Data from the Chart menu, using the Series tab to select the category range. 2. If it's an XY Scatter chart, the dates look like num...

Problem displaying Cell Shading color on Sony VAIO
When I open Excel documents that have Cell Shading the colors are not visible on the LCD screen. When I use the Print Preview I see the colors. I'd like to be able to see the colors while I'm editing on my Laptop. The background colors are visible on my desktop. I have tried several different screen modes with negative results. I've also download and installed all the latest service packs from Microsoft. Please help! Thanks much! MS Article found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;Q320531 OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displa...

Show summary task headings on reports
for each group of tasks I need to display summary task headings on my do to list otherwise the tasks are meaningless but the option is greyed out when I edit the report. I understand why this is (because there is no assignment to summary tasks) but I need a way around this - any help gratefully received. (using v 2007) - I have to print to do lists for a number of people so want it to be as automated as poss.... Thanks Anita A best practice is to include sufficient information in the task field to allow just this--they need to stand-alone without the associated summary f...

Show top three rows when scrolling
I thought I knew how to do this but it didn't work. I went to Page setup, Sheet and typed in $1:$3 but it didn't work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. Doug It sounds like you set the rows to repeat at top when the worksheet is printed. If you want to always see rows 1:3 on the display, then... Select A1 (just so it's visible) select A4 Window|freeze panes Everything above the activecell and to the left of the activecell will be frozen. Doug Mc wrote: > > I thought I knew how to do this but it didn't work. > > I went t...

Formating to show square meters ie m2
I would like to be able to format in excel the square meters symbol ,which is m with a small 2 just above, is this possible please ? Many thanks Select your range, press Ctrl + 1, go to the Number tab,=20 press Custom and enter: General" m=B2" To enter the 2 hold down the ALT key and type "0178" (no=20 quotes) on your numeric keypad. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I would like to be able to format in excel the square=20 meters symbol ,which is=20 >m with a small 2 just above, is this possible please ? > >Many thanks >. > You ...

Entering specific data in cells.
I have a column formatted in date form. I want to ensure that when a date is inputted into that column it can only represent a date which falls on a Saturday otherwise it will display a sign representing it is not correct data. Any suggestions please. -- Many Thanks Gunjani Not tonight, dear. I have a modem. Hi - select the cell. e.g. cell B1 - goto 'Data - Validation' and choose 'Custom' - enter the following formula =WEEKDAY(B1)=6 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunjani wrote: > I have a column formatted in date form. I want to ensure that ...

how do I replace formula with value or cell reference with value ?
how do I replace formula with value or cell code with value ? excuse my terminology. consider that just a subject title !! I have 2 questions.. based on that concept A) suppose some cells have formulae like =A4+5 =F3*2 If I copy and paste those cells, I get the formula in another cell. How do I copy the value, paste the value. Not the formula? (Note, i know using notepad can.. i'm wondering if excel alone can) B) How do I turn =A4+F3+H7 into =4+6+3 i.e. I want the formula in there. But not the original A4+F3+H7 formula. I want the =4+6+3 formula. even notepad doesn't help ...

Show previous animation button
Hi all, Can someone please help me with some vba to apply to a button which would show the previous custom animation shown? Many thanks, Michael Hi again, Perhaps this is more difficult than I imagine? Just to clarify what I am trying to achieve... I would like to be able to use a button on the PowerPoint stage that, once clicked, would go back to the previous custom animation - much like the way the mouse wheel does when viewing the slideshow. Can someone help please? Many thanks, Michael "kimkom" wrote: > Hi all, > > Can someone plea...

Fixed Assets don't show on Balance Sheet
I am trying to setup a balance sheet for a new company. I have several companies setup already with no issues. When I setup this new company it will NOT show my fixed assets on the balance sheet even though I have setup this balance sheet exactly like the previous ones. Any suggestions? I am at a total loss on this. Melanie, Are you using AFA (Advanced Financial Analysis) or FRx for this? If AFA, makes sure your Fixed Assets accounts have the correct Account Category assoicated with them. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax....

Problem with Blank cells
Hi , I am trying to import Excel File to MS Access using Visual Basic. The problem I encountered is as follows : When I import an excel file, if the first row of an excel file contains an empty cell then thereafter the data in that particular column doesn't get imported! I am using OLEDBJET 4.0 to connect and retrieve the data from Excel Sheet. It would be great, if anybody can post their thoughts on it! Thanks, Vijay -- vgurusa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vgurusa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

colour of protected cells
Hello all I would like to set up excel so that if a cell or a range is protected it will be displayed in a different colour. Can any one tell me how to do this. regards from south africa Hi Fred, Use conditional formatting. Select the worksheet range, starting from cell A1. Then set the "Formula is" format to =CELL("protect",A1) and the format to a pattern fill. Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com > Hello all > > I would like to set up excel so that if a cell or a range is protected it > will be displayed in a different > colour. > Can any one tell me h...