Shared excel file dissapears

We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production
log.  we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing.  As
we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up.  we are at about 2 a
day now.
I  was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of
simultaneous users are.   Are there any known issues which would cause excel
to mysteriously vanish??

thanks

cr

--
http://QLiner.com

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all
the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill

0
craig7161 (7)
10/15/2003 1:09:35 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Filename is locked for editing in Excel 2002 SP3
We have some spreadsheets on the network drive. Everytime myself or a coworker at different times try to open the spreadsheet, we receive the message "Filename is locked for editing". No one on the network has the file open. Everyone has closed and turned their machines off, but I am still unable to access the spreadsheet. Can you let me know what I need to do to access the spreadsheet. We made sure read-only is not checked in properties. When this happens on a single user's pc, a common solution is to close excel and to delete the files in the windows temp folder--and...

corrupt program or file? How to tell? Or is it operator error?
I'm trying to determine if the file or program is corrupt. Or if it is operator error. We are changing to a new computer and installing the program fresh. We don't want to ruin the new setup by loading in a corrupt file. My mom volunteers at a charity, and they use excel to keep track of statistics that they need for grant money. Over the past year, the program keeps making changes, and my mom has to keep correcting the file. Basically, she has a list of clients with name, client #, city, and a few other details. When she closes the file, everything looks great. When she comes back ...

MS Excel performance with Windows 7 Starter
Hi, I use a netbook and performance is quite okay with most app's. It's just got an Atom processor with 2G RAM. The performance in excel is very slow, is there anything that I can do to speed it up? I am using Excel 2007 Home and Student and navigating from one cell to the next is quite slow. Love Windows 7 and Office 2007 but am ageing fast, HELP!! -- PaulD ...

How Do I Save a Selected/Highlighted Area to Another File?
I keep running into the need to do this an I simply can't figure out how to save a marked/highlighted/selected area of a spreadsheet to another file. In the latest case a text file. I know how to save to a text file, I just don't know how to include only a portion of the spreadsheet. jim Jim You cannot save part of a file...all or nothing I'm afraid, so you will need to copy the range to a new workbook and save that -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "jim evans" <jimsnews@ho...

Excel 97 #7
Hi I have an Excel file built in Office 97, I need to open this file in Office 2000, but it wont open. I have Office 97 here and can view it - is there any way I can open this file in 2000. Please Help!!! Thank you x ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements There shouldn't really be any reason why the file shouldn't open in 2K. Do you get any error mess...

Excel Chart y-axis title
Hi, I have been having a problem with the chart y-axis title box. It cannot be resized and the titles I put in are truncated when printed. This seems to happen randomly as some title appear ok, sometimes. Any assistance on how to get this resolved will be very much appreciated. I have tried changing the size of the lettering to know success. Thanks Jon Peltier posted some information on this problem in the following thread: http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=OHBI1YNyEHA.804%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl Kuzemdoo Dawuni wrote: > Hi, > I have been having a problem with the chart...

resizing a worksheet in excel 2007
The worksheet is 50% of its original size and I don't see the drag in arrow to resize/expand it. I know sometimes the worksheets are protected that way, but I feel this one does not have a password protection. I went to Home Tab, Format Option, Protect Option where I have a choice of entering a password and restricting what can be done on it. The worksheet was created using Excel 2003 as a .xls file and I am using Excel 2007 to resize it. 1. Am I guessing correctly it does not have password protection? 2. If there is no password protection, how can i resize it? Thanks Sounds ...

Dissapearing CRM.
Hi all, Got a terrible problem, when one of my users types http://crm in IE, window just dissapears...CRM loads for half a second and then the whole window closes. Magic ? Dont think so. First i thought it was pop-up blocker from SP2, or that i have to add CRM to trusted sites, but nope. Doeasnt work. Any ideas ? Sincerely Gregory Get you user to type in http://crm/loader.aspx Regards, Alex "Grzegorz Cyborowski" <grzegorz.cyborowski@computerplus.krakow.pl> wrote in message news:%23meTwcirFHA.3228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > Got a terrible proble...

How to combine two excel sheets into one
How to combine two excel sheets into one using the value in the common column You can retrieve the value from specific columns and merge them onto another worksheet by using the =vlookup() command. =vlookup(a1,sheet2!$a$1:$x$9999,3,false) would use the value in A1 to look through sheet2 (A1:A9999). If it doesn't find a match, you'll get a #n/a back. but if it there is a match, you'll get the 3 column over (C) returned. Take a look at =vlookup() in excel's help for lots more info--or post back with a more specific question. (I'm sure you'll get a better answer.) ...

CSV Import Error on text field with +- (Excel 2003)
Hi, I'm trying to import the following file (test.txt) in Excel 2003: [Start of File] Header 1,Header 2 A test+-20,A test|30+-20 [End of File] When I attempt to import this, I specify both columns as Text in the Wizard. However, I get the following in Excel: A1: Header 1 A2: Header 2 B1: A test+20 B2: A test|30+20 It's dumping the minus sign on me. Does anyone: (a) know why this is happening, (b) know how to get around it, and (c) know any related problems that I may encounter when importing? (b) is most relevant to me at present. The others are nice-to-know things. Thanks, S...

Excel 200 viewing option
I have win NT and office 2000. When I open multiple WORD documents, I get multiple buttons on my task bar for easier editing. But when I open multiple excel files, I get only one. How can I set it up like word? Thanks Tools / Options / View / Windows in Taskbar -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference --------------------------------------------------------------...

Linked file in Publisher 2000
Hi is there a way to ensure that a linked file in a Publisher document is included within Pack and Go Thanks A ...

EXCEL ANSWER TO FORMULA DOES NOT SHOW UP
I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34). The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer. I set up the same formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row. And it returns $2,500. What is going on? On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:54:01 -0800, LionR <LionR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34). >The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer. I set up the same >formula in anot...

Automatic Colour of Cells in Excel
I use excel for a marksheet. A level my students 1, 2, 3, 4. When I put a "4", for example, I usually go to format and then colour the cell blue. I was wondering if there was a way that Excel automatically changes the cell colour from "standard" to "blue" when I enter 4. and then for "3" I would get "green" etc. I know about the format painter icon which saves time, but i was wondering if there was a faster way ... thanks Good morning Spags There is a quicker way, Conditional Formatting under the format menu. Unfortunately, it ca...

Emailing an Excel worksheet
I'm using Excel as a gradebook, and when emailing each student their worksheet, I'm unable to figure out how to add my signature block to the outgoing email. My default email is Outlook Express (can't change this, I'm required to use it for this class). Also, is there a way to delete unused cells from a spreadsheet? I know I can highlight only the cells I want to appear in the body of the email, but I'm trying to save a step (lazy I guess). Don't know if it can be done with OE, but if it can I am sure that Ron will describe how at http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmai...

How do I stop e-mail address from turning into link in Excel?
In Excel, when you type an e-mail address into a cell, it turns into a link. How do I correct it so that when I enter the e-mail address, it doesn't turn blue and become a link? The only two methods I've discovered by experimentation are to put an apostrophe at the beginning of the address, or to type the address, hit enter, and then immediately click "undo" before typing the next e-mail address. Both these methods are cumbersome. Is there a way to highlight an entire column of e-mail addresses that have already been entered, and change them so that they are no lon...

randbetween in Excel 2003
I need to generate a random number. In the previous version I used "randbetween" function. But this is not available in Excel 2003. Hi Activate the Analysis Toolpack Add-In Arvi Laanemets "Venca" <Venca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4D7AC73-31F6-49F1-9E7C-4E8FE5DC2909@microsoft.com... > I need to generate a random number. In the previous version I used > "randbetween" function. But this is not available in Excel 2003. But it's. Try to activate the Analysis Toolpak add-in vi Tools|Add-Ins. Venca Wrote: > I need to...

Macro to obtain creation date of the excel file
Hello, An oracle datbase is providing me with an formatted excel sheet. I created a macro to manipulate the data for my own purpose. Now I want to save the file as being modified, but want to put the date an time of the creation into the file name. Any suggestions? regards, Just Maybe this: ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="MyFile" & Now() & ".xls" Regards, Per "Just Merks" <jvw.merks@hccnet.nl> skrev i meddelelsen news:4a0489ea$0$25634$e4fe514c@dreader30.news.xs4all.nl... > Hello, > > An oracle datbase is providing me with an f...

The system cannot find the file specified
This message is displayed when I try to open most attachments. Try this: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm If that doesn't help you, please post back. "Peter Leathem" <PeterLeathem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1B6906A-49DF-44C0-9F2C-4CBBF31176A5@microsoft.com... > This message is displayed when I try to open most attachments. ...

Outlook 2007 : Data file not found
Greetings all, I am currently using Outlook 2007 running on a Vista machine; in case that helps resolve the problem I am having. I have created a new pst file and copied all of the information I wish to save from an old pst file. When I go to my accounts, I have set my new pst data file as the default and attempted to remove the old one. I am told it cannot be removed because there is configuration information being copied. Well, I have exhausted my patience giving Outlook over a month to copy that configuration information. I am still unable to remove the old pst from my account l...

Making a compiled list in Excel #2
Don Guillett Wrote: > You may have over complicated this. Why not just put a x beside each an > use > data>filter>autofilter>filter on the non blanks>use =SUBTOTAL to > count/sum/avg and use f5 copy visible cells only. Why do you need the > checkbox. I want to use a checkbox as I'm making an application for other user and so I think it will be easiest for them if they can select items b simply clicking a checkbox on or off. There will be selection lists like this spread over at least worksheets and I want to be able to summarise they selected items o -another...

Digital Signing causes Excel to crash while closing
I have a macro which saves and closes the activeworkbook just before finishing. activeworkbook.close When the workbook's code is unsigned the macro runs fine, but when I digitally sign the vba code the macro crashes excel with The instruction at '0x3005c5eb' referenced memory at '0x00000018'. The memory could not be written. Has anyone encountered this before? ...

how do I stop zoom on mouse scroll in EXCELL office 07?
I used to be able to use the middle "scroll" on my mouse in EXCEL to page down, but now it only zooms! in our out.... I want to page down in the new Office 07. how do I stop it? Go to your Options - General tab and deselect Zoom on roll with IntelliMouse. "MOUSE" wrote: > I used to be able to use the middle "scroll" on my mouse in EXCEL to page > down, but now it only zooms! in our out.... I want to page down in the new > Office 07. how do I stop it? ...

Get size of file on ftp server before downloading
Hi, How can I get the size of a file on an ftp server before downloading the file. Basically I want to create a progress bar to show the progress of the download as its being downloaded. If anyone could point me to any good resources or explain what i need to do. I am using Visual Studio 2010 beta, but code needs to be able to be run on 2.0 framework, if possible. Thanks in advance, Adam > How can I get the size of a file on an ftp server before downloading the > file. Basically I want to create a progress bar to show the progress of > the download as i...

Merging Xml Files
Hi all, I'm hoping that someone could help me with a relatively simple problem I'm having. I have a number of quite large XML files - say 150meg each, and I need to perform a merge operation on them. However, because each individual document has it's own XML node and root element, I need to find the most efficient way of stripping those elements out where appropriate so that the relevant data can be merged into on large file. On average, there will be three files to be merged in this fashion. Can anyone advise on what the best approach to this would be? I've been a...