Shade half a Cell

Hi

Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells togethe
and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, i
possible, to shade the Cell on an angel
(for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half gre
and half white)

Is this possibl

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi sparky...........

You can't shade half a cell any way with the normal background coloration
technique.  You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of
the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell..........it would
look similar........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"sparky3883 >" <<sparky3883.19lrwc@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells together
> and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, if
> possible, to shade the Cell on an angel
> (for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half grey
> and half white)
>
> Is this possible
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
7/18/2004 7:44:54 PM
More precisely, you can position a drawing object over a cell - only
values and formulae can be put *in* a cell.

When positioning the drawing, make sure you use Format/object and choose
Move and size with cells.

In article <#2OAI9PbEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
 "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of
> the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/18/2004 7:52:05 PM
Another technique is to use the "Rectangle" drawing object, and hold the Alt
key while you drag the shape onto the cells.  This will cause the object to
"snap to" the edges of the cell.

I like to select the "Colors and Lines" tab, "Fill", and on the drop down
"Color," select "Fill effects.."  Select one of the "Diagonal" gradients.
Adjust "Transparency" if desired.

HTH
Dana DeLouis

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> More precisely, you can position a drawing object over a cell - only
> values and formulae can be put *in* a cell.
>
> When positioning the drawing, make sure you use Format/object and choose
> Move and size with cells.
>

> In article <#2OAI9PbEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>  "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of
> > the shape you want and color it and place it in a c

0
delouis (422)
7/18/2004 11:00:46 PM
Thanks for all your help

how to seperate data from 1 cell into multiple cells?
How can I take a cell that contains a name and title and seperate it into 3 cells? e.g. 1 cell with John Smith, M.D. into 3 cells? Thanks Lloyd Select the cell, use Data/Text to Columns, click Delimited, then select Space and Finish. "Lloyd" <info@atlanticvoice> wrote in message news:<8ebd01c3ea12$04e08600$a001280a@phx.gbl>... > How can I take a cell that contains a name and title and > seperate it into 3 cells? > > e.g. 1 cell with John Smith, M.D. into 3 cells? > > Thanks > > Lloyd I gave this to my class... on the menubar, Data: Tex...

Excel Cell Width
How do I adjust the width of a cell WITHOUT adjust the entire column? You can't Regards, Peo Sjoblom "JeffW" wrote: > How do I adjust the width of a cell WITHOUT adjust the entire column? Jeff, the only way would be to use format center across selection, or merge cells to put two or more cells in the row together -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "JeffW" <JeffW@discussions.microsoft.co...

Counting a single value in a cell?
I want to count how often a single value (the dash symbol) occurs in a single cell than rank it. Showing two examples, AUS-IAH/PTY-IAH/AUS is in cell A1 and AUS-ORD-LHR/WAW-LHR-ORD/AUS is cell A2. Cell A1 has 2 dashes and A2 has 4 dashes. Is there a way to do this? Thank you. =LEN(B10)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B10,"-","")) for data in B10 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200789 "Greg" wrote: > I want to count how often a single value (the dash symbol) occurs in a > single cell than rank it. Showing two examples, AUS-IAH/PTY-IAH/AUS is in > cell A...

Marked cells more visible
When marking cells in 2007, is it possible to change the color to a more visible one? I see Chip says that the RowLiner download is an upgrade to Hilite. -- Jim "Prixt0n" <leifhy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ba78be5e-0f2a-4c4a-ba7d-051d5a9d5c5f@v28g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... | When marking cells in 2007, is it possible to change the color to a | more visible one? This is where someone from MS acknowledges the issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2008/04/22/improving-sheet-selection.aspx -- Jim "Prixt0n" <leifhy@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

Cell entry used in formula
I'm using a common lookup formula like the following: =index(B1:B5,match(E1,A1:A5,false),1) Is it possible to write the above formula to reference entries in cell as cell numbers? For example: If cell J1 contains the text "B3" , can a function b written in place of E1 (in the formula) to reference J1 and use B3 (o whatever cell number in in J1)? Hope this makes sense. Thanks Bobb -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm guessing you might want something like this: =INDEX(B1:B5,MATCH(INDIRECT(J1),A1:A5,FALSE),1) Your example is confusing because you used ...

Insert a reference table and have different size cells
I have a weekly job report I fill out where I record what jobs each employee has been working on for that day. I would like to add another table to the worksheet where I would be able to see a list of jobs to perform. Then I could record where some one worked and what he did. The problem is I need to make the cells in the second table smaller. Any one know how I can do this? ...

Changing the font style, fore colour and back colour of an individual cell in a VB6 listview
Hi All Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to style (bold, underline, italic), colour the text and colour the background of the text in a vb6 listview CELL. Are any of these permitations possible? Am I better using an MS Flexgrid and hidden textbox (for the edit bit)? Thank you. "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:e%23LFCQ5RLHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All > > Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to > style > (bold, underline, italic), colo...

Ghosting Out Cells
I have a spreadsheet which will be replicated and given to a number of different people to fill in different parts. I would like to Ghost out, or make semi-transparent, parts of the spreadsheet (depending on which part the individual needs to fill in). I know you can shade cells....but is there anyway to alter the transparency of the colours/gridlines/fonts.... Any help would be great. (Im using Excel 2000) Cheers, Phil I've figured this out.. If you draw a box over the area you want to make transparent... then format the box and make it semi-transparent. "PW11111" ...

Excel Cell Formatting question
I am using MS Excel 2003 SP1. I would like to have negative numbers display as red and in brackets ) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks To -- Tom Bradstree ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Bradstreet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1578 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27296 Select the range you want to format and go to the Format menu, selec Cells. Then select the Number tab and select your number of decima places and the format for negative numbers ...

How do I fill down keeping one cell calculation from changing in .
If I have a calculation I want to fill down which has multiple calculations. How do I fill it down keeping one of the calculations constant. Meaning one of the calculations always uses the same cell for a calculation, it doesn't change as the cells go down. eg =SUM(A2*F13-J13) I wand to keep the A2 all the way down but want the others to change as it is filled down. Thanks, WC Look up About cell and range references in the HELP files. And try this: =SUM($A$2*F13-J13) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all...

cell function
Is there a way to have a cell in a spreadsheet be represented as a symbol? example: if i want cell A1 to show a checkmark or an x when the cell is checked, how would i do that (if it can be done)? greatly appreciated Not sure I totally get how you're envisioning it to work. I'm guessing you want to click on the cell at which point it will put an x in the cell then take it off. 2 ways to do it. 1) (I wouldn't do this) use forms, and put a checkbox over the cell. I've found the checkboxes are always tough to manage, expecially if people are inserting rows, resizi...

protect borders on a data entry cell
I have an Excell 2007 spreadsheet with borders around selected cells, the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry. But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the spreadsheet. so how do you protect the borders from being changed and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells? Thanks in advance Terry You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin....

Formula Needed for Corresponding Blank Cell
Hi All, Well that didn't work: =IF($B$7:$B$689<>"",IF($W$7:$X$689="","SOMETHING IS MISSING",""),"") And neither did this: =IF($B$7:$B$689<>"",IF(OR($W$7:$W$689=""),OR($X$7:$X$689=""),OR($Y$7:$Y $689="")),"SOMETHING IS MISSING",""),"") No laughing. I'm trying. And I did use Ctrl-Shift-Enter. It's supposed to catch blank cells in columns W, X, or Y if column B in the same row isn't blank. Column B is a date and W, X and Y are ...

cell +1 with one button?
HI! I need to know how to add '1' to a cell using only one button. Meaning value WAS 3 and becomes 4. Is there a way to do this? It is for live stats in a sports game, s� speed is of the essense. That is why it has to be a "1-button operation." Thanks in advance! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Attach this macro to the button: Public Sub Add1() With ActiveCell If IsEmpty(.Value) Or IsNumeric(.Value) Then _...

pasting in merged cells #2
I have created a form in excel 2003 where I have a column for names and there are six rows merged in each block that contains the name due to space for data in other parts of the form. I am wanting to paste a list of names in the name column containing the merged cells so that there will be one name per merged cell in the column. How can that be done? I think merged cells give more problems than they are worth. When a cell is merged there is only 1 cell. In your case I would not merge the cells but format them with a borde around them and cell colour to look like they are merged -- M...

Finding the cell in which an object lies
Hi again I'm trying to make a page break after a chart. But I can't do this i seems, the page break can only be inserted into a cell/row. Any idea how to determine the cell that the corner of an object is in I want to take my object, find what call it is above, and break base on that cell. Cheers -- F*S ----------------------------------------------------------------------- F*SH's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3635 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56251 the chartobject has a .topleftcell and a .bo...

How do I change the color the cell becomes when doing a FIND
When I do a FIND or FIND / REPLACE, when Excel finds the value I am looking for, it highlights the cell, but the highlighted cell is in white, which is the standard sheet background. How can I change a setting so anytime I try to do a find, when the cell is found, it shows this cell in a totally different color say purple or red or yellow etc.. I find sometimes trying to identify which cell it has selected in a full screen of data can be tough. I jst want to be able to locate the selected cell easier. Thanks for your help Two known and common options to search ALL WB sheets....

Formula to reference another cell in a worksheet
Column G is filled with numbers which represent Rows in my worksheet. I want Column H to equal the contents of Column A Row ? which is referenced in Column G. Example: G1 is 1043, I want H1 to be equal to A1043. What formula can I use to fill column F to do this automatically. Thank you! Heather =indirect("A" & G1) -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "HeatherJ" wrote: > Column G is filled with numbers which represent Rows in my worksheet. I want > Column H to equal the contents of Column A Row ? which is referenced in > Column G. >...

Copying vertical and horizontal ranges of cells
Will excel allow me to copy a range of vertical cells on one workboo page to a horizontal range on another page? If so, how? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Checkman............, yes, look up TRANSPOSE in HELP, when you paste there is a transpose option on the dialog. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Checkman >" <<Checkman.17uzi0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote i...

VB6 - ADO
First I must to say Sorry, because my English is not the best. I have some values that I write into an Excel XP sheet from VB6 using ADODB connection. The problem is that in Excel XP sheet the numbers in the cells are formatted as text. (All the cells In Excel have a green error indicator in the upper left corner). To write the values in Excel sheet I use INSERT INTO � or AddNew and Update methods of the RecordSet. I would like to now how can I copy the values (or one column) of the MSFlexGrid to Clipboard. It is to Past to another application, like Excel Sheet or OriginPro 7. Thanks any He...

formatting cells #8
I am trying to formatt the cell to show a L##.## (eg K34.9) Have gone into format, cells, then custom or special. Don't know how to change the special type and can not figure out how to enter formula in custom. Can this actually be done? Hi if you just want to use a fixed character in front of your values you may enter the following in the custom format: "L"#.00 just type this within the inputbox for this category. Not sure what you mean with 'enter formula' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany tm wrote: > I am trying to formatt the cell to show a L##.##...

distributing each characters on a cell
how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells? example: A1=HELP then get each character B1=H C1=E D1=L E1=P Here's one way : B1=MID($A25,COLUMN()-1,1) and copy across. NickHK "jjuan" <jp4the_clan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eSXqv%23$9GHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > how can i distribute the letter in a cell to another cells? > example: > > A1=HELP > > then get each character > > B1=H > C1=E > D1=L > E1=P > > thanks a lot!!!! "NickHK" <TungCheWah@Invalid.com> wrote in message news:u4GAgBA...

Inserting Quotation Marks in all Cells
Hi! I have a co-worker who needs to insert quotation marks in the entire worksheet. It contains both numbers and text. The quotation marks need to be inserted around each individual cells data. Can someone help? Enter this small macro: Sub quoteit() Dim r As Range For Each r In Selection If IsEmpty(r.Value) Then Else r.Value = Chr(34) & r.Value & Chr(34) End If Next End Sub Select all or some portion of the worksheet and run the macro. It will put quote marks before and after the contents of all selected non-empty cells -- Gary's Student "confused" wrote: ...

Preventing Duplicate Cells
We have a list of about 8600 different numbers which are our accounts. Each is 16 digits long. We have recently had the problem that when we copy over account lines, sometimes we create duplicate cells. We need to prevent this duplication. Is there any way in Excel to prevent the addition of cells that have the same content? Check out the 'Advanced Filter' option... DATA / FILTER / ADVANCED FILTER You have the ability to copy unique records only to a different location. HTH, -- Gary Brown gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com "BenBlair" wrote: > We h...

city, state, zip in same cell
I ha ve been given a large data base with city, state and zip in same cell. How can I seperate the city, state and zip without doing it manually? Good afternoon, u may want to try this. First insert a few columns right after the column that contains the city state, etc. info. Then click on the column letter to highlight the column that contains the city, state, etc. data u would like to split into cells, then goto DATA menu toward the top of your screen and click on TEXT TO COLUMNS. A box will pop up, make sure DELIMITED button is on and click NEXT, Then put a check in boxes by COMMA a...