Setting Value Of One Cell Equal To Value Of Selected Cell

Without using VBA - If cell A1=red, A2=white and A3=blue, can I set C1
to be the value of the selected cell so that if A1 is selected, C1
will equal red, if A2 is selected, C1 will equal white, etc.?
Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky
0
SHPsalm139 (20)
3/4/2008 8:27:24 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sheldon,

In a word, no. No worksheet thing comes to mind that works as a function of the active cell.
You might want to use some radio buttons or a list box (Forms Toobar or Control Toolbox)
instead of cell selection.  They'll let you click to make such choices, and you can use
formulas that will change a cell value as you wish.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Sheldon" <SHPsalm139@aol.com> wrote in message
> Without using VBA - If cell A1=red, A2=white and A3=blue, can I set C1
> to be the value of the selected cell so that if A1 is selected, C1
> will equal red, if A2 is selected, C1 will equal white, etc.?
> Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky

0
someone798 (944)

Auto Fill Cells
I am building an inpatient log for a nursing home. I need to auto fill the patient's name and address from their ID # Example in column C (ID#) 255 - would automatically fill in Column D (last name), Column E(first name), Column F(middle initial), and Column G(address) At this point - all of the cells are blank. Sounds nice. Where is the data coming from? Take a look at these links for some ideas of how you can go about doing this: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#IndexMatch http://www.contextures.com/xlFunc...

comments in a cell #2
HYCH, Just a question? is there any way of using some vba that will add coments to a cell and have the comment box appear as it does if i add my own comments manually, would like the comment hidden until the cell is selected and then have it show up! obviously i know this happens when you manually process comments, but i would like the comment box to appear and display values that are in another worksheet within the same workbook. hope that makes sense. Steve Steve wrote: > > HYCH, > > Just a question? > > is there any way of using some vba that will add coments t...

Formula for counting specific cells which are greater than 1
I'm looking for a formula that will count specific cells (not a range - A17, A27, A37 and so on) that will have a certain value (above $1.00 to make it easy). So if the cell has a value of $1.00 or less it will not count in the total; If it is above $1.00 if will count. If A17 is above $1.00, A27 is $0.50 & A37 is $3.00 the count will be 2. ...

shading cells that are not consecutive
Is it possbile to shade cells B10-16 and D14-8 and F2 and etc and forma them as a group? Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use Ctrl to select all the rages you want selected then do th formatting you wish. Either that or choose one cell and do the formatting the way you want Then copy it and select the other cells and go to edit: paste special formats -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Replacing cell with text
Hi, I want to know if it is possible to do the following: Imagine I have a legend in which I say which text corresponds to whic letters ex: John -> J Harry -> H Susan -> S and what I want to do is when entering J, H or S in a cell, it wil change to the corresponding text. Is there a way of doing it without having to run a macro ? Thanks in advance Pedr ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Go to Tools > AutoCorrect Options (XL2002) and insert new...

Changing the 'Mark item as read when selection changes' at runtime
Hi, Outlook version 2007 VS2008 Using VSTO and Redemption I need to change the following settings at runtime Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane Wait [ ] seconds before marking the item as read. Mark item as read when selection changes. All the above settings are on a form found here: Tools --> Options --> Other --> Reading Pane The registry settings are stored in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences] I know how to change the registry settings but I don't know to re-load these settings again without ...

IE settings from Outlook 2003...
Hi I am trying to get the language information from Internet Explorer When i load this webside inside of Outlook, I can't get the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE property If I load it from Internet Explore, outside Outlook, the property is ok Below is the asp code <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; "> <% Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" Response.Expires = -1 Response.Write(Now()) Response.Write("<BR>") TheLanguage = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE") TheLanguages = Split (TheLanguage, ",") Numberoflangua...

Dynamicly change spreadsheet tab names depending on cell value
Is it possible to change tab names dynamicaly ? For example i have 31 tab (1 for each day of the month) These tabs are named - 1,2,3 e.t.c Is it possible to define rule that would ad "!" to day which is weekend day. In other words is it possible to dynamicly change tab name depending from value of cell ? If this is possbile how do i do this ? Right-click on the spreadsheet tab, select View Code and paste this in:- Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value End Sub To test this I put the date in cell B2 and this formula into A1:- =TEX...

Converting Text Values to Dates
Is there a way to convert a column of text, date values (entered as 81096, for example) to valid date format, 8/10/96? I could not get the DATEVALUE function to do this. Hi! Select the range of cells in question. Goto Data>Text to Columns Click NEXT twice Select Column Data Format: DATE. Then choose the format from the drop down Finish Biff "Frank Winston" <FrankWinston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CAF0A61-E8A7-4D18-B035-0D475E9A858C@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to convert a column of text, date values (entered as 81096, > for example...

formatted values from single equation
I would really like to have a Excel spreadsheet with two worksheets, the first sheet has raw data (16 across, 100's down) and what I would like to do on the second sheet is add to the first row, 16 equations (lets say for now y=x). then underneath this the formatted data where x is cell A1 on the first worksheet and y is on the second worksheet. Obviously you would just normally in each cell on worksheet 2 type the equation in (='worksheet1'!A1), but I would like to show people the equation being used. Is this possible, does this message make any sense?? Nice -- mr_nice! ---...

substract cell F from cell H and total into cell I
i am new to using excel. i need to be able to put in pay price in cell F and selling price into cell H and get total in cell i. so it would have to substract cell F from cell H and put total into cell i. how do i do this? currency only Assuming your data is in Row 1, put this formula in I1 and press Enter.........be sure and type it just as shown, as the leading equal sign is what tells Excel that the following characters are a formula. =H1-F1 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "vadarpug" <vadarpug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:617768AC-D261-47AE-861A-E6BFD...

How can I get current cell row number
I need to reference the row value of the current cell in a worksheet function: = row() in VBA: activecell.row Hope this helps Rowan excelneophyte wrote: > I need to reference the row value of the current cell ...

Setting up OMA in a frontend/backend environment
We have one standalone Exchange 2003 SP1 running Windows 2003 Standard Server SP1 (frontend) and we have a 2 node active/active Exchange 2003 SP1/Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. Can any give me information that would help me enable or setup OMA in a frontend/backend environment? Thank you, Eric Sabo There is nothing different that you need to do. 1. You need to make sure that OMA is enabled for the Organization. In ESM, go into Global Setting, Mobile Services properties. Under Outlook Mobile Access, make sure that at a minimum, Enable Outlook Mobile Access is checked. Optio...

Update Outlook Profile Outgoing Mail Server Settings
I need to create a PRF file that is generated on the fly for my users to just update the outgoing mail server settings for already present profiles - is this possible? If so, is it possible to do this for all versions of Outlook (2000, XP, 2003, Express)? Does anyone have any hints on how to accomplish this? Thanks, Jason Not possible. A PRF file can add a new Internet account, but it cannot = modify or delete an account.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programmin...

Change a cell's value using a button
Hi - I know its possible but have no idea how to do it - How do I set up a cell with two buttons attached to it that increase and decrease the value in the cell? I.e. if I have a cell with 10% in it and hit the "up" button, the number goes up by 0.5% and down by the same amount if I hit the "down" button? I am pretty good in Excel but dont know anything about macros - but Im really not sure where you find this function. Thanks for your help in advance anyone! -- Ashley No macros required. Use a spin button control rather than 2 buttons. Follow these steps: 1. Go to...

how do i make it so that when a sheat is selected either via link or tab, that xlLastCell is selected. the last on the sheet.
how do i make it so that when a sheat is selected either via link or tab, that xlLastCell is selected. the last on the sheet. In VBA Editor, create a module. Paste this there Option Explicit Dim X As New EventClass Public Sub Auto_Open() Set X.App = Application End Sub Then, insert a Class Module, rename it to EventClass, and paste this there: Option Explicit Public WithEvents App As Application Private Sub App_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object) Sheets(Sh.Name).Select ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Select End Sub It should work (XL2000). "Daniel" <...

Question about toggle selections?
First off hi... I was wondering if there is a way to have a toggle drop box to list th names of all sheets listed in my workbook. e.g i want all the sheet names listed in the box so that what ever wa entered in the next cell, to be able to research what was selected i the first cell. i want the user to select the option by a drop down button. TI -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com In the absence of other replies ... the context/meaning of your questio is not clear. Presumably you mean a Combobox/Dropdown but do not indicate whether i a worksheet or user form. Whatever ...

Mouse select problem
I keep running into this problem from time to time. My mouse will act as if the shift key is pressed and selects everything between the current cursor position and the click. This manifests in VBA, in fields on the Property window and in query designer. If I restart Access the problem goes away. Sticky keys are off. Access 2003, XP Pro If I remember correctly this also happened in previous versions of Access This happens when you keep the shift key pressed for too long at a time. There is a solution to undo it that I forgot. You could search for it. My solution -- get out of the ...

Calculate Formulas in Highlighted Cells Only--not whole sheet
In office 97 I was able to recalc only the cells highlighted (control + L) as opposed to the entire sheet or workbook. In Excel 2002, how do I recalc only the cells I have highlighted? Thanks I don't recall this shortcut in xl (any version). I'm guessing that you had a macro that did something special. In xl2002, you could use a macro like this (assigned to ctrl-shift-l) Option Explicit Sub testme() Selection.Calculate End Sub But I think I've read posts that calculating a single range can be bad--it can screw up the calculation dependencies. I think that Charles Will...

User form Default value in text box
Hi all. Quick question. I have a user form in excel which has a text box which i want to have the value defaulted to the current date. I've looked at several posting on this site but haven't gotten it to work yet. Any ideas on how to set the text box with the current date as a default value? Any help or direction is appreciated. Thanks. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/201006/1 Hi, Try this way Private Sub UserForm_Activate() TextBox1.Text = Date End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are oth...

Dynamic Range Defined by Value of Cell
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows: A B C Product1 qty cost Product2 qty cost .... ProductN qty cost TOTAL qtytot costtot The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture A:C and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in column A? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. I don't know what you mean by "define a range" b...

Different formats within the same cell
Hello, i want to enter a word in a cell but only have one of the letter fomatted bold, eg - "wo*r*d" Is this possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Yes. Enter your word into the cell, go to the formulae bar, highlight th letter you want to have in bold and then click on the bold icon. This will format just that letter to bold -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com sure. Just edit the word>highlight the letter(s) and change the font,bold,color etc. will NOT work withing a formula. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

Revert picklist back to original value...javascript
Hi, I have a picklist that, when certain values are selected, will populate the values of other fields. When this happens, a warning pops up telling them that this behavior will happen and the user can pick OK or CANCEL. When the hit CANCEL, it still selects the new picklist value they just selected. Is there a way to have it go back to what was previously selected?? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks! On Jul 25, 8:00 pm, @VGroupby1 <VGroup...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a picklist that, when certain values are selected, will populate the > ...

Update Cell Value Based on different Cell
Hi, new to the forum but I've been reading it for a couple of days now. Looking forward to talking and learning with everyone. I think I a better than average with Excel but this problem is driving me nuts! have a list of lottery numbers listed by date drawn (see below fo example) on one worksheet. On another sheet I have a count of how man times a number has been drawn. I would like to add a column to show th last date a number was drawn and have it update automatically when I ad a new drawing. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to ge the date to update automaticall...

Attached images
Sorry for reposting this one, but I think it might have gone unnoticed: Hi, Using Outlook 2003, there is the new resampling option for attached images. I really applaud that innovation, saves time and space when sending images that comes straight from the camera. Really good. However, I miss a 800x600 pixels option. Is it possible to have that one? 640x480 is almost too small these days and 800x600 could be just right for a small sample. I have not found any settings for this function, neither size nor compression. Are those settings just hard-coded? Regards, -- Lars Forslin "Doing ti...