Setting up columns to show total

I am attempting to do the following
in column 1, I want to include an expense and continue adding to the column
additonal expenses

in column 2 I would like it to show a continuous total of each entry I put
into column 1

Could someone please help me setup the proper formula for doing this.

--
Thank you in advance for your assistance
HankL

0
hlaskin1 (4)
6/22/2006 4:09:31 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=SUM(A$1:A1)
copy down

HTH
--
AP

"Hank Laskin" <hlaskin@bendnet.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
%23V3q7YhlGHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I am attempting to do the following
> in column 1, I want to include an expense and continue adding to the
> column additonal expenses
>
> in column 2 I would like it to show a continuous total of each entry I put
> into column 1
>
> Could someone please help me setup the proper formula for doing this.
>
> --
> Thank you in advance for your assistance
> HankL

0
ardus.petus (319)
6/22/2006 4:15:37 PM
Hank

Assuming expenses entered in column A

In B1 enter   =A1

In B2 enter    =IF(A2="","",A2+B1)

Drag/copy B2 down as far as you wish.

Column B will show nothing until data is entered in Column A.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:09:31 -0700, "Hank Laskin" <hlaskin@bendnet.com> wrote:

>I am attempting to do the following
>in column 1, I want to include an expense and continue adding to the column
>additonal expenses
>
>in column 2 I would like it to show a continuous total of each entry I put
>into column 1
>
>Could someone please help me setup the proper formula for doing this.

0
Gord
6/22/2006 4:19:46 PM
Slap head.

Too easy Ardus<g>

Gord

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:15:37 +0200, "Ardus Petus" <ardus.petus@laposte.net>
wrote:

>=SUM(A$1:A1)
>copy down
>
>HTH

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
6/22/2006 4:27:44 PM
Hi Gord

Whilst Ardus' solution has great merit in terms of simplicity, I
remembered a thread where David McRitchie was pointing out that
=SUM($A$A:A1) can be inordinately slow when dealing with large ranges.
Your solution would perform faster for large ranges
I found the thread again and a link is posted below.
 http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q64E5205D

Ardus' solution does have considerable merit in being robust against row
insertions and deletions (which yours does not)
and David's proposition uses Offset() which uses a volatile function
which I try to avoid when possible.

I would propose
=SUM(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROW()))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

> Slap head.
>
> Too easy Ardus<g>
>
> Gord
>
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:15:37 +0200, "Ardus Petus"
> <ardus.petus@laposte.net>
> wrote:
>
>>=SUM(A$1:A1)
>>copy down
>>
>>HTH
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
roger5293 (1125)
6/22/2006 5:32:49 PM
Thanks for the input Roger.

Will squirrel away for future reference.

Gord

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:32:49 +0100, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technologyNOSPAM4u.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi Gord
>
>Whilst Ardus' solution has great merit in terms of simplicity, I
>remembered a thread where David McRitchie was pointing out that
>=SUM($A$A:A1) can be inordinately slow when dealing with large ranges.
>Your solution would perform faster for large ranges
>I found the thread again and a link is posted below.
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q64E5205D
>
>Ardus' solution does have considerable merit in being robust against row
>insertions and deletions (which yours does not)
>and David's proposition uses Offset() which uses a volatile function
>which I try to avoid when possible.
>
>I would propose
>=SUM(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,ROW()))

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord

Column Report (Right to Left)
Good Evening. I have a report that I have finally managed to arrange such that I can print landscape on the front page and Portrait on the back. I have one problem left.... The back page has a columnar subreport in the lower fifths of the page. The subreport functions fine except i need it to fill from right to left. The data is in the proper order but the report fills from left to right? How can I fix this? Thank You Tirelle ...

How do I specify column for named range of rows
I have a sheet on which new lines of data get added almost daily, the first column being a time and date stamp. To keep things organized, I name ranges of rows, describing the time interval they contain. For example, the range $10:$500 could be named "June". Now I want to chart different time intervals in a chart only by changing the name in the SERIES function. For example, if I am plotting column B against time, I would want to specify like SERIES(,June A, June B). I know this syntax is not accpeted, but is there any way it can be done, specifying only the column and ro...

I want to set up a repeating contact for an appointment.
I want to have a specific contact automatically be added to my "Meeting"/Appointment list without having to type it out every time. ...

Acc2002: Crosstabs: Column header length limit?
Dear all, crosstabs in Access 2002 seem to have a limit for the length of column headers: 20 characters. Queries with headers that differ only after the first 20 characters do not work. Any suggestions to get it work? Is there, e.g., any registry parameter that could be adjusted? Thanks for every hint, JotKa I think you would find the same thing to be true for field names in a table or controls on a form. AFAIK, there is no workaround. Make sure the first 20 characters are unique. -- HTH, George "JotKa" <JotKa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B12...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...

Pasting into columns...
Hi. I've used Excel 97 for years. One of the things I did frequently was copy info from my bank accounts and paste (special/unformatted text) into a workbook. The data always pasted neatly into my preformatted columns, e.g., a line reading "02/28/2007 Check 2100 $500.00 $1500.00" went into columns headed Date, Transaction, Amount, Balance. Now I've upgraded to Excel 2003 (in Windows Vista) and when I paste the same data it all goes into the first column, meaning I have to cut "Check 2100", "$500.00", and "$1500.00" and paste each indivi...

Eliminate duplicates(values) in an Excel column !!
Hi Guys G'day. I have a long list of email values in a column in excel spreadsheet(windows 2000). I want to findout the duplicates and want to eliminate those. ie. If I have jo@cs.co.au 5 times in an excel column , I just want to keep only one(keep uniqueness). Can anybody help me how I can find the duplicates and eliminate those in an Excel column. In the end I want a column which contains unique email addresses. Thank you. Jo Jo, have a look at data, filter, advanced filter and unique records only and see if this will do what you want -- Paul B Always backup your data before tryin...

Personal folder size showing different
Hello all, Pls help me. I had a question. Why is outlook personal folder size showing 2706KB but in Windows explorer it shows only 2500KB... why does it show different and not the same... appreciate reply asap. thanks ...

How to set up emails with specific domains
Hi all, 1 more question: how do I set up email addresses with specific domains - not the usual @hotmail / @yahoo but company ones made specifically for the company. Regards & thanks Sketch Sketch <sketcher@eircom.net> wrote: > how do I set up email addresses with specific domains - not the usual > @hotmail / @yahoo but company ones made specifically for the company. In Outlook, Tools>E-mail Accounts>Add a new e-mail account. In Outlook Express, Tools>Accounts>Add. -- Brian Tillman You need to consult the documentation for the mail server hosting your =...

Added data in columns
I am new to Excel. I have a project I am working on in which I have a column with a value from 1 to 5. Each number (and in some columns letters) represents a different answer. Is there a way to add the total number of each value? For instance I have over 2000 rows with data. In column "N", an answer can be either 1,2,3,4 or 5. How would I figure out how many answers are "1", how many are "2" an so on. Likewise there is a column with a yes/no answer. How can I see the total number of Yes's and how many No's there are? I appreciate any help. Hi ...

Regional settings with ssqlserver
I am using sqlserver express with windows 7 . When i set the regional settings in windows sqlserver isnt accessing the settings. I am retrieving a datefield and it is being display incorrectly, it did display correctly with windows XP but with Windows 7 it isnt using the regional settings. Thanks Hi You can use CONVERT function which has a third parameter named style to format /display dates in format you want to.. "Cdudej" <jedfletcher1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:707cd34d-9686-48c7-9c5a-329e8ecc447b@u20g2000yqu.googlegroups.com... >I am usi...

Why the CWND::Default() hanging the application when I set breakpoint on xp
I have program compiled with VC2005 that it runs well in the debug version or release version, but when I set the break point in my code , the application is hangling. The code like this clase CMainSheet:public CPropertySheet { public: BOOL OnInitDialog(); ....... } CMainSheet::OnInitDialog() { BOOL bResult = CPropertySheet::OnInitDialog(); //line ........ } I set the breakpoint at the line, the vc really stop at the line, but when press F10 to skip this statement, the VC is hanged. I follow into the CPropertySheet::OnInitDialog(), the response stops at calling LRESULT CWnd::D...

why no email showing from 2/25/2010 or earlier?
Was out of the office from 2/25/2010 through 3/3/2010. Email only goes back to 2/26/2010, and all email from 2/25/2010 or earlier does not show. How do I find my incoming email from 2/25/2010 or earlier? Perhaps you are only looking at UNread mail? Chris wrote: > Was out of the office from 2/25/2010 through 3/3/2010. > > Email only goes back to 2/26/2010, and all email from 2/25/2010 or earlier > does not show. How do I find my incoming email from 2/25/2010 or earlier? "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E...

Word 2007 show combined revisions in one document
I combined several sets of revisions in one document and noticed a peculiarity: when a word was replaced without deleting the space after the word and inserting a new space, the deleted word would show up twice in the combined-revisions document -- once before the inserted word and once after. So it looked like this: (replacing "dogs" with "cats" -- I'm USING caps to show the deleted word) I like DOGScatsDOGS. Where the space had been left in, it looked correct: I like DOGS cats. There was no problem in this respect with the individual redlined do...

Outlook show localhost for server requires password now
Outlook keeps changing pop3 address to local host and now requires me to supply password to retrieve mail every time it quiries server. This seems to be a recent change and I am unable to change this. I have always been able to leave email on in the background, now the password popup interferes with other activities. Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm going to guess that you recently installed some kind of anti-virus e-mail scanner like Symantec? If so, that's normal - though it should have a way to save the password. Which version of Outlook are you using and did you, i...

What happened to Pivot Table "Show Pages"?
What happened to the functionality in Pivot Tables to write a new worksheet for each value in a Page Field? I'm sure that it was available in earlier versions of Excel, indeed there are references to "show pages" in other threads in this group, but I can't find it in Excel 2003. Did it go away? -- Jim On the Pivot Table toolbar, choose PivotTable > Show Pages Jim Molter wrote: > What happened to the functionality in Pivot Tables to write a new worksheet > for each value in a Page Field? > I'm sure that it was available in earlier versions of Excel, in...

Importing CSV
Hi All, I have to import CSV files into excel. A regular issue with this is that often the CSV files will contain data (in this case account codes) that excel interprets as dates (such as '3-8000' being converted to 1 Mar 8000). Nothing unusual so far, in that we handle that issue by importing manually (External Data - Text import), and specifying that the field in question is imported as TEXT not GENERAL. However, I have a file that, when I double click on it, it opens up perfectly (except with dates where it should be text as outlined above), but if I manually import that f...

How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000?
How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000? do this programmatically "Marco" <sorry@nomail.com> д���ʼ� news:eVZfAcFqDHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000? > > ...

Help with looping thru columns
I trying to automate a report that is ran in Cognos, and extracted to an excel file. I am almost complete, but am having trouble with totaling coulmuns. Basically, There are 7 columns which are to be totaled. My limitation is this: IF column 'D' is = "G" then loop thru Rows and Columns to process G Totals Then IF column 'D' is = "N" then loop thru Rows & Columns to Process N Totals Then Total the Totals for "G" and "N"; Example: A B C D E F G H I J Total 2915R NOYR 131000 G 0.00 (470.28) 0.00...

My fonts don't show up in Excel or Word...
I just installed Office 2007 and none of my fonts show up in the drop down menu. Can anyone help??? Thanks. Sorry: this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Excel or Word. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Monica L" <Monica L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7CB2381-F5F4-471C-B118-1549C7D7069F@microsoft.com... >I just installed Office 2007 and none of my fonts sho...

Lookup column
Hello Everyone, I have a lookup column in my database with two parts. One part lists the supplier's name with the supplier's ID number directly accross in the other part. i enter data via a form. What I would like to do is select the supplier field on the form but have the supplier's ID number auto populate in another field on the form. Is this possible or am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks. If by "lookup column" you mean a combo box, and if both the supplier name and supplier ID appear in the combo box list, then you can use the column method to accomp...

Move columns in datasheet view
In Access 2003, I'm finding that I can't move columns in a form in datasheet view mode. I was able to do this in Access 97, and Help seems to show similar instructions for moving the columns. I don't see the pointer change to a rectangle as it did in AC97. The columns aren't frozen. Is this a bug? Thanks. -- David Jones Hi David, I just tried it on a new form in Access 2003 and I could move the columns. Jeanette Cunningham "d381e" <d381e@lycos.com> wrote in message news:47618A68.6080803@lycos.com... > In Access 2003, I'm finding that I can'...

How do I set the default font in Outlook 2007?
How do I set the default font in Outlook 2007? TIA Chris. The default font for what? A new message? Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format-> button Stationery and Fonts... For other fonts see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/fontsizecolor.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Chris Mitchell" <chris.a.mitchell@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in mess...

Calculating the percent effective based on a set weight.
I am trying to rate the performance based on a predetermined percentage weight. Example: Bob has a 7% quality rate Tracy has a 8% quality rate. Larry has a 9% quality rate. This particular category has a 30% total weight. (The other categories - [production etc.] adds up to 70% totaling 100% effective). Question: With a goal of 8%, how do I figure their effectiveness based on a 30% weight? Since I'm dealing with quality, the lower the number the higher their weight. Example: Bob has a 7% (cell A2) quality. The goal is 8% (cell A1). The weight is in A3, (30%). HIs effectiveness should...

Stacked Column Chart...HELP NEEDED
I would like to stack 2 sets of data side by side for each month. For example, I have Category A (type 1, type 2) and Category B (type 1, type 2). I am using a stacked column chart and cannot seem to do this without jumbling around the data section which doesn't make for easy understanding. Different chart type? Any ideas? If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and the following MSKB article has an example: XL200...