Setting Dates to Speadsheets!?

Hello just a question, How can i make the current date appear in a cell
in the spreadsheet so that for any day that I open it..that days date
is displayed in the cell?

Thanks
From John

--
Neo1
Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi john,
click on the cell you want the date in and enter
=now()
this will insert the current date and time.
you can edit the way its shown by right clicking on the cell and using
the 'format cell' option. then click on the 'number' tab to select the
formatting you want to show
Good luck
Shorty

0
ashorty (1)
3/2/2006 12:32:26 AM
An alternative is =TODAY(), which only gives you the date, not the
time.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/2/2006 1:46:17 AM
Thanks but how can i make the date update every minute..so that the date
is up to date?

Thanks
From John

--
Neo1
Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518065

John

Every 60 seconds hit the F9 function key.

You could use VBA to do this for you if necessary.

See Chip Pearson's "OnTime" instruction page.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:13:53 -0600, Neo1
<Neo1.242c6z_1141337704.6094@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks but how can i make the date update every minute..so that the date
>is up to date?
>
>Thanks
>From John

0
Gord
3/2/2006 10:28:53 PM
The date is only going to change once a day, so there is little point
in updating it every 60 seconds !

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
3/2/2006 10:44:54 PM
What I want to do is basically up date the "Time" every 60 seconds not
the date....

Thanks
From John

--
Neo1
Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=518065

John

Format the =NOW() cell to "time" and follow my original suggestion(s)

Gord

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:10:46 -0600, Neo1
<Neo1.242hr0_1141344905.4406@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>What I want to do is basically up date the "Time" every 60 seconds not
>the date....
>

>Thanks
>From John

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord

About the tools that set Registry key permissions
Hello, I want to set some Registry key permissions using Subincal and SetACL, but the both tools will not work for some keys in Windows Vista and Windows 7, can anyone tell the good command line tools that support Windows Vista and Windows 7? Thank you Steven ...

Outlook 2007
All of a sudden today when I hit reply to messages in my inbox, or forward messages in my inbox, they are automatically removed from my inbox. Of course they remain in my sent box, but I prefer to keep the original message in my inbox as well. I have not changed settings at all on this but for some reason it started to do this today. I cannot find any reference to this in the help file online. I do NOT have it set to view unread messages only. Sounds like you're looking at a view or search folder that's filtered to = show only unread items.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP ...

No dates
when ever i recieved an e-mail the date it was sent was always along side the e-mail, but know i dont get a date, why has this happenend, i like the date being printed as i know when i recieved them please help. Is there something i can do. "ANNA B." <bryla@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23htLYe01KHA.5828@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > when ever i recieved an e-mail the date it was sent was always along side > the e-mail, > but know i dont get a date, why has this happenend, i like the date being > printed as > i know when i recieved them...

Set Print POS Receipt Question Default to NO
When you select the to Ask before printing POS receipt the system defaults to the YES box. Can this default be set to NO to allow you to just press ENTER? I have already set up a PRINTLASTRECEIPT button. ...

help with weekdays between two dates
A little rusty with access - been away for a while. Wondering if someone could help me with determining the weekdays between two dates. a simple function of somekind using the date or count functions? Be great if it did stat holidays too but I know that's asking more than is possible? JT "Jim" <jimt@pioneers.ca> wrote in message news:2rWAj.66322$pM4.15431@pd7urf1no... >A little rusty with access - been away for a while. > > Wondering if someone could help me with determining the weekdays between > two dates. > > a simple function of somekind us...

Visio: How to set a transparent background on an inserted GIF?
Inserted a GIF from file with a white background. Would like to edit the image to make the background transparent so that it will overlay the drawing background. Is it possible in Visio, or do I have to edit the source file with another application? On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:49:02 -0700, John Sudds <JohnSudds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Inserted a GIF from file with a white background. Would like to edit the >image to make the background transparent so that it will overlay the drawing >background. Is it possible in Visio, or do I have to edit the source file >with ...

How do I stop a general format from being autoformatted to date
I want to stop Excel from automatically changing the format of a cell from general to time every time I enter a new row of data. I have several column headings running across the top of the page and I have set the format of 4 columns to display the time (HH:MM), the next column has been formatted to show a GENERAL entry. This was done by selecting the whole column and applying the format of General. The problem is when I enter data for a particular row I enter from left to right and put the data in the 4 TIME formatted cells first, by the time I go to the 5th cell which should just be a n...

How to create and set values for newly created attributes in active directory
Hi, I need to add a new string attribute in the properties of users in the active directory. I have changed the schema and added the attribute. Then, it gets listed in the attributes list. But, I could not set this attribute value for users. Please help me in setting this new attribute value for each and every user of users in AD. Thanks, - mv. -- m v ramana ------------------------------------------------------------------------ m v ramana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/181470.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/129...

Date Help
I have linked two columns on a worksheet so that when I type in the date in cell C6 it also appears in cell J6. I entered =$C$6 in J6, and this works except sometimes I don’t need to use the date cells. My problem is in cell J6 the date appears as 1/0/00 until I type the date into cell C6. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Malcolm Hi, use this formula instead =if(C6="","",$C$6) "Malcolm" wrote: > I have linked two columns on a worksheet so that when I type in the date in > cell C6 it also appears in cell J6. I entered =$C$6 in J6, and ...

Counting days between dates
I am trying to calculate working days late or early between two dates using =NETWORKDAYS(A2,B2) If I have a due date of 24 Sept and I ship on 24 Sep then I am neither late or early so I am on time i.e. 0 days - but my formula returns 1! If I have a due date of 24 Sept and I ship on 23 Sep then I am shipping 1 day early i.e. –1 – but my formula returns –2 formula due actual days early late should be 24-Sep 24-Sep 1 0 24-Sep 25-Sep 1 1 24-Sep 23-Sep -2 -1 What do I need to do...

HOW DO I Auto inserting date and time?
Can someone out there please help me! Am trying to find what the formula would be to automatically insert date and time (in seperate columns) when another field has been filled. Ie, if cell C3 has data in it, then for C1 to automatically insert the date, and C2 to automatically insert a time. I am told that this IS possible, but I can't work out how to do it! Thank you in advance for any assistance! Shane --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.515 / Virus Database: 313 - Release Date: 01/09/2003 thank you...

Number of copies when printing is 256, how can I set it back to 1?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It's only with one Excel document. I've already trashed the prefs and that didn't fix it. high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price? China Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are the best brand replica goods w...

Propagating permission settings for public folders.
Hi, I understand that if you had created a public folder and set permissions to it, the settings will be propagated to subfolders created after it. However if I make any permission setting changes to the main folder, the sub folders will still retain that initial permission setting. Is there any way to propagate the permission settings to the sub folders? Regards, ...

SMTP works intermittently after FE servers set as NLB pair
After setting two FE servers in an NLB pair (both with smtp previously working), some mail servers cannot open SMTP sockets to the FE NLB pair. IT seems to be only windows boxes odly enough. When i create the pair, OWA, OMA and Activesync work fine as does a telnet to port 25. However, some machines cannot telnet to port 25..all machines in question that have proven unable to access are running win2k or win2k3....sendmail and qmail can open a smtp session to the NLB pair just fine. ANy ideas? On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:12:02 -0700, knightly <knightly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Date and time as long format in the taskbar
Operating system Windows 7 professional 64 bit the time is shown in the desktop of Windows in the taskbar down on the right. Is there the possibility in this place of showing the time and date into long format, example: Su, 29.08.2010 13:34:47? thanks Josef Josef, I don't think so, but if you "hover" your mouse cursor over the date shown, it will display "Sunday, August 29, 2010" (American format). The format displayed is controlled by the "Long Date" format chosen in "Control Panel/Regions and Languages". Will those choices sa...

help with date formula
hello gurus Imagine two columns (part of a larger table) , the first with dates, and the second showing the difference (in days) between a date and the one above it. My problem is that there are varying numbers blank rows between the dates. I'd like it to look like this... COLUMN A COLUMN B Aug 27, 08 0 Dec 01, 08 96 Jan 21, 09 51 Jan 22, 09 1 Mar 08, 09 55 What formula could I use in the cells of Column B? Much thanks Victoria On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:27:01 -0800, Victoria <Victoria@discussions.microsof...

default page settings
Does anyone know how to change the default page size in publisher so it opens as A4 rather than letter all the time? Change your printer driver default to A4 and then Publisher will automatically open with that size. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying human rights being held at Guantanamo Bay. ...

Build a date value
I have a stored proc that gets sent a month and year and I would like to turn it into a date using the day as 1. When I try it I get an error 'Explicit conversion from data type int to date is not allowed.' Below is my stored proc. Any help or alternative is appreciated. ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[mc_selPTODetailsForm] @Month smallint, @Year smallint, @AvailableOnly smallint AS BEGIN -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from -- interfering with SELECT statements. SET NOCOUNT ON; DECLARE @dtYearAgo date; SET @dtYearAgo = @Month + '/1...

setting inches in MS Excel
Can someone tell me how to adjust the measurement setting in Excel to inches? Thanks. Sandra Holroyd Sandra: Never given it a thought before, since everything in Excel is scaleable, unlike Word. I don't think it has a meaning in respect of Excel other than in the size of paper you choose to print on. Obviously the calculations (apart from a few conversion functions) are units-independent. Charts are scaleable. Print setup is very scaleable. Sooooo...AFAIK, you don't need (or get) a measurement setting. Alf --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sandra Any obj...

Incorrect date in creation date field
I am having an issue when creating a template I am trying to use the date field called creation date but when it is inerted into the document it shows an incorrect date? For example the file was created and saved on May 26, 2006 but the creation date field show November 26, 2002. Has anyone else seen this problem? ...

New mail automatically sets up a reminder
I had to use the inbox repair tool to reapir my mailbox.pst file because Outlook 2000 said it could not open it. Ever since doing this all of my new mail have instant reminders set up for them. They do not appear on the calendar, but pop up and require me to dismiss, snooze etc. just like a reminder I would of set up on the calendar. They are also displayed normally in my inbox. I can't seem to figure out how to turn this off, and also how this was turned on! Any help woud be appreciated Ken Try starting Outlook once with the /CleanReminders switch. If you need help using Outloo...

set up different default printer for MS Excel
I have a printer A set up as default for my PC. I want to have a printer B to be default one for ALL NEW Excel files. So task is not to change it manually or via some macro button; the task is to have the printer B ready directly after opening of Excel file. Any suggestions? Stefan, You can change the default printer for all applications with the Windows Control Panel. Start - Control Panel - Printers and Faxes. Right-click the printer you wish to be the default, and choose "Set as Default." To set a default printer for Excel only (different from the Windows default printer...

Date Grouping in Pivot Chart
I am using a Pivot Table and Pivot Chart to summarize an event count. An event is stored with a date/timestamp and I am using grouping to count the number of events for each day. Not all days have entries. In the Pivot Chart (column type), I would like to plot every calendar day for the time interval in the pivot table, even those w/o a count. When I edit the field settings for Date to "show items with no data", it gives me a whole year's worth of dates instead of just filling in the gaps in my existing date range. In the grouping options, the start and end days are set but seem ...

Why can't I auto filter date fields?
With a column of dates like 5/5/2004 13:20, the only thing that works i to select a specific date from the drop down. Trying contains 5/ o anything similar doesn't work, it returns nothing at all. Also, would there be any way to change the default choice on aut filter from "equals" to "contains" -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Are you looking to filter on months or days? You might be able to use custom and "greater than" and "less than" combinations. But sometimes, I'll just insert a new column and put a formula like: =mo...

sorting by date #3
Hi, I just want to sort my data by date, - i use it for our petty cash an invoices and I'm sick of having to sort them out into date order firs - and wait till end of month. I feel like I am missing something VERY obvious :confused: thanks for your time Fiona ; -- fionabath ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fionabaths's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1664 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31613 Fiona, Give a little more information about your spreadsheet layout. E...