seperate text and number in the same cell

Hi,
i have the following data :
cell a2 : aa22
cell a3 : aab80
cell a4 : acd99

how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2

such as
b2 = aa
c2=22

thank you all

---

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Jed,
Don't know if you always have exactly 2 digits like your example,
but you can get a formula to separate them at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#pcdigits
is a solution posted by Tom Ogilvy which will split of digits from
the right not limited to 2 digits..

If  you need to get real fancy Harlan Grove posted some example
   Extraction of a Group of Digits and Dashes, from postings by Harlan Grove
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/grove_digitsid.htm

---
HTH,

"jad >" <<jad.14648x@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jad.14648x@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Hi,
> i have the following data :
> cell a2 : aa22
> cell a3 : aab80
> cell a4 : acd99
>
> how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2
>
> such as
> b2 = aa
> c2=22
>
> thank you all
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)
4/4/2004 3:34:10 AM
Hi

If you go here: http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ExtractNum.htm I have acustom
function that will extract the numbers only from the cells.

=ExtractNumber(A1)

To then get the text only use the function below in the same way as
decribed in the above link for extracting numbers

Function ExtractText(rCell As Range)
Dim iCount As Integer, i As Integer
Dim sText As String
Dim strText As String
sText = rCell

    For iCount = Len(sText) To 1 Step -1
        If Not IsNumeric(Mid(sText, iCount, 1)) Then
            i = i + 1
            strText = Mid(sText, iCount, 1) & strText
        End If
    Next iCount
ExtractText = strText
End Function

In any cell then place;

=ExtractText(A1)

Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins.
Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *****
0
dave2624 (251)
4/4/2004 3:51:34 AM
thank you so much,it does work perfectly

number rounding in MS Excel

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Single click selects multiple cells

Phone Number Filtering

Fractions Number format

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Roman and Arabic numbers in SEQ
Running 2003 on XP. Got a doc that has SEQ numbering. The code is: ARTICLE{seq level0\h\r0}{seq level1\h\r0} etc. to level 7 and the last entry is {seq level0\r1\*ROMAN) This displays ARTICLE I The next level down is has this code: {seq level0\c\*ROMAN}.{seq level1\r1 \*arabic} This displays as : I.1, with numbers until article five displaying as V.1, V.2, etc. I want it to display as 1.1, 1.2, etc. I tried replacing the ROMAN with arabic, but it didn't change anything. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Using reveal formating and styles, they are no styles...

Invoice Numbers 10-27-07

Rounding Numbers #3

Macro to seperate data

parameter for text

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Auto calc YTD Numbers
Cells A1:L1 equal "Jan" thru "Dec". M1 equals "YTD". Cells A2:L2 equal numeric values. If you haven't guessed it already, I would like M2 to sum all the values A2:L2 for those months previous and including the current month (but not future months). What is the best way for going about this Here are 2 ways =SUM(OFFSET($A$2,,,,MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmm"),$A$1:$L$1,0))) or =SUM(OFFSET($A$2,,,,MONTH(TODAY()))) hopefully your computer's clock is accurate -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjo...

Sum a group of numbers
When I first started using Excel, if I had a bunch of different totals on a worksheet, I could hold down the right mouse button and cover the group I wanted to add. The sum of these numbers would appear on the bottom of either the worksheet or a task bar. I have lost the ability to do this. Or I have lost the task bar. How do I get it back? Hi Barbie, That would be the status bar. If it is not showing, go to View>Status Bar to turn it on. If the sum function is still not showing, right click anywhere on the status bar and select which option you want. HTH Martin "Barbie...