Selective data transfer to other columns

Any help is surely appreciated.

I have a sheet where col.a represents expenses, col. b represents numericaly
coded reasons for the expense ie: 1,2,3 - owner request, error, unforseen
conditions etc.with a legend shown elsewhere.
I would like to enter the reason code in b1 and have the value of a1
transfered to the appropriate reason column on row 1.

Thanks for any assistance,

Tom

0
thomcu (3)
3/8/2006 8:19:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think I know what you want!

Create a table (maybe your legend) with your codes in the left column,
and the reason in the right column. Name the table range "legend".

In your A1 cell, in your example, use:

=IF(B1<>"",VLOOKUP(B1,legend,2,FALSE),"")

Floodfill this in column A, and you can type your codes in column
B...then A will display the reason once the code is typed.

--
kevindmorgan
kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32232

Thanks Kevin,

It's not quite what I need. I need to copy the values from the expense
column to other colums similar to below

LEGEND 1 Owner Request
                 2 Error
                 3 Unknown conditions

Expense    Reason  Owner Request  Errors Unkn. Cond.
$5,000           1      $5,000
 $1,000          1      $1,000
 $2,850          3                                                    $2,850
 $10,000        2                                 $10,00
 $5,000          3    $5,000

I sure appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Tom

"kevindmorgan" <kevindmorgan.24dc9a_1141851000.6676@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> I think I know what you want!
>
> Create a table (maybe your legend) with your codes in the left column,
> and the reason in the right column. Name the table range "legend".
>
> In your A1 cell, in your example, use:
>
> =IF(B1<>"",VLOOKUP(B1,legend,2,FALSE),"")
>
> Floodfill this in column A, and you can type your codes in column
> B...then A will display the reason once the code is typed.
>

> Tom Cular Wrote:
>> Any help is surely appreciated.
>>
>> I have a sheet where col.a represents expenses, col. b represents
>> numericaly
>> coded reasons for the expense ie: 1,2,3 - owner request, error,
>> unforseen
>> conditions etc.with a legend shown elsewhere.
>> I would like to enter the reason code in b1 and have the value of a1
>> transfered to the appropriate reason column on row 1.
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance,
>>
>> Tom
>

> --
> kevindmorgan
> kevindmorgan's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32232
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520280

0
thomcu (3)
3/8/2006 11:26:15 PM
I didn't quite get it until I was ready to reply, and hit "quote". That
made the columns line up better!

So Column A would be the expense....check
Column B is your code....check
Column C is your first reason, D your second, etc.

Row one is your header, so in cell A2 is your first expense. Let's say
$5000.00

In B2 you would type in your code. Say you type "1".

In C2, use =IF(B2=1,A2,"") in D2 use =IF(B2=2,A2,""), etc. You can then
flood-fill the rows with the formula once the columns are complete.

Cell C2 will display $5000.00, and all others in row 2 will be blank.

I am pretty sure that's it this time! uh....maybe? :-)

--
kevindmorgan
kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32232
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520280

Thanks a lot Kevin, that was it.

Tom

"kevindmorgan" <kevindmorgan.24e26m_1141884600.5524@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> I didn't quite get it until I was ready to reply, and hit "quote". That
> made the columns line up better!
>
> So Column A would be the expense....check
> Column B is your code....check
> Column C is your first reason, D your second, etc.
>
> Row one is your header, so in cell A2 is your first expense. Let's say
> $5000.00
>
> In B2 you would type in your code. Say you type "1".
>
> In C2, use =IF(B2=1,A2,"") in D2 use =IF(B2=2,A2,""), etc. You can then
> flood-fill the rows with the formula once the columns are complete.
>
> Cell C2 will display $5000.00, and all others in row 2 will be blank.
>
> I am pretty sure that's it this time! uh....maybe? :-)
>
> Tom Cular Wrote:
>> Thanks Kevin,
>>
>> It's not quite what I need. I need to copy the values from the expense
>> column to other colums similar to below
>>
>> LEGEND 1 Owner Request
>> 2 Error
>> 3 Unknown conditions
>>

>> Expense    Reason  Owner Request  Errors Unkn. Cond.
>> $5,000           1      $5,000
>> $1,000          1      $1,000
>> $2,850          3
>> $2,850
>> $10,000        2                                 $10,00
>> $5,000          3    $5,000
>>
>> I sure appreciate any assistance you can offer.
>>
>> Tom
>

> --
> kevindmorgan
> kevindmorgan's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32232
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520280

0
thomcu (3)

update column

How to select series in chart?

Transferring control of CClientDC to CDC
Hi, I have a class MSWinDisplayManager which I want to take a CClientDC device context so that it's member functions can perform drawing routines on it. I want the class to have it's own CClientDC member which all the methods have access to draw on. My constructor looks like this: MSWinDisplayManager::MSWinDisplayManager(CClientDC& win) { private_win.attach(win); } This is called by the user like: CClientDC dlg(this); MSWinDisplayManager wdm(dlg); then I want to do things like: wdm.drawCars(); The problem I have is that private_win isn't getting control of the device ...

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

OLK 2k7

Single click selects multiple cells

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

Getting rid of selection

Macro

macros entering data

Macro
Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. Can this be done? Thanks!!! Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ xlNumbers + xlTextValues).Select If you want to select xlErrors and xlLogical add those to xlNumbers + xlTextValues -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "puiuluipui" wrote: > Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. > Can this be done? > Thanks!!! It's perfect! Thanks! "Jacob Skaria" a scris: > Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ >...

WLM transfer to another computer
Hi, I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64. I did it by installing the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a 2.5" external enclosure. I've been successful in moving most of my files and settings over, but WLM is the exception. Can someone help answer these questions for me: 1. Where are the actual mail files stored? 2. Where is the account login info stored? 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files, prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server. Anyway to avoid this? Is ther...

find data and autopaste when found