Selecting evenly spaced cells

Hello,

I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
and all its offsets

i.e.

I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.

What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Let me try to further explain

My worksheet has this sort of setup

Summary
A's - Summed Up Value
B's - Summed Up Value
C's - Summed Up Value

Issue 1
A - 5
B - 4
C - 2

Issue 2
A - 10
B - 5
C - 9

Issue 3
A - 1
B - 2
C - 3

What I want is to sum up all the A's, B's, and C's that are evenly
distributed and put them in the cells labeled "Summed Up Value"

On Sep 17, 11:48 am, Chris <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
> and all its offsets
>
> i.e.
>
> I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
> values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
> other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>
> What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23, 33,
43 etc.

=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))

It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter instead
of just Enter.

Adjust to your own needs.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com

"Chris" <chris.olekas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
> and all its offsets
>
> i.e.
>
> I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
> values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
> other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>
> What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

0
sandymann2 (1054)
9/17/2007 4:10:22 PM
Ok,

I can see how that can work, but say rather than values for A,B,C i
have strings which in which I use a VLOOKUP to get teh value of them.

I tried something like
=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5,VLOOKUP(E1:E123, Values,2)))

But that doesn't seem to work
On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23, 33,
> 43 etc.
>
> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))
>
> It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter instead
> of just Enter.
>
> Adjust to your own needs.
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandyma...@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>
> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
> > and all its offsets
>
> > i.e.
>
> > I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
> > values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
> > other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>
> > What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

for A2+A12+A22+A32+A42+.............as far as you like, try:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A65535)*(MOD(ROW(A1:A65535)+8,10)=0))

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200745

"Chris" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
> and all its offsets
>
> i.e.
>
> I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
> values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
> other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>
> What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

0
GarysStudent (1572)
9/17/2007 4:50:00 PM
Not every finction will work with arrays and I think that you are out of
luck unless some of the clever people can come up with something for you.

--
Regards,

> Ok,
>
> I can see how that can work, but say rather than values for A,B,C i
> have strings which in which I use a VLOOKUP to get teh value of them.
>
> I tried something like
> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5,VLOOKUP(E1:E123, Values,2)))
>
> But that doesn't seem to work
> On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23,
>> 33,
>> 43 etc.
>>
>> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))
>>
>> It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter
>> instead
>> of just Enter.
>>
>> Adjust to your own needs.
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>>
>> Sandy
>> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
>> and the crowning place of kings
>>
>> sandyma...@mailinator.com
>> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>>
>> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
>> > and all its offsets
>>
>> > i.e.
>>
>> > I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
>> > values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
>> > other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>>
>> > What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

0
sandymann2 (1054)
9/17/2007 5:20:04 PM
If the OP wants to sum values in B3:B123 at each 12th row where E3:E123 is a
particular string why not

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=3),--(E1:E123="abc"),B1:B123)

where the string in this case is "abc"

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Sandy Mann" <sandymann2@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Not every finction will work with arrays and I think that you are out of
> luck unless some of the clever people can come up with something for you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandymann2@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>

> "Chris" <chris.olekas@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok,
>>
>> I can see how that can work, but say rather than values for A,B,C i
>> have strings which in which I use a VLOOKUP to get teh value of them.
>>
>> I tried something like
>> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5,VLOOKUP(E1:E123, Values,2)))
>>
>> But that doesn't seem to work
>> On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>>> This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23,
>>> 33,
>>> 43 etc.
>>>
>>> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))
>>>
>>> It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter
>>> instead
>>> of just Enter.
>>>
>>> Adjust to your own needs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Sandy
>>> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
>>> and the crowning place of kings
>>>
>>> sandyma...@mailinator.com
>>> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>>>
>>> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
terre081 (3244)
9/17/2007 5:36:28 PM
I think I might have to code up a UDF

Thanks for the help!

On Sep 17, 1:20 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Not every finction will work with arrays and I think that you are out of
> luck unless some of the clever people can come up with something for you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandyma...@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>
> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Ok,
>
> > I can see how that can work, but say rather than values for A,B,C i
> > have strings which in which I use a VLOOKUP to get teh value of them.
>
> > I tried something like
> > =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5,VLOOKUP(E1:E123, Values,2)))
>
> > But that doesn't seem to work
> > On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> >> This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23,
> >> 33,
> >> 43 etc.
>
> >> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))
>
> >> It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter
> >> instead
> >> of just Enter.
>
> >> Adjust to your own needs.
>
> >> --
> >> HTH
>
> >> Sandy
> >> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> >> and the crowning place of kings
>
> >> sandyma...@mailinator.com
> >> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>
> >> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Using your sample  formula as the base....

This regular formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5),SUMIF(ValuesCol_1,E1:E123,ValuesCol_2))

Where:
ValuesCol_1 is the first column of your Values range
ValuesCol_2 is the second column of your Values range

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Chris" <chris.olekas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok,
>
> I can see how that can work, but say rather than values for A,B,C i
> have strings which in which I use a VLOOKUP to get teh value of them.
>
> I tried something like
> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(E1:E123),10)=5,VLOOKUP(E1:E123, Values,2)))
>
> But that doesn't seem to work
> On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> This will sum all cells in B3:B123 spaced 10 rows apart, ie 3, 13, 23,
>> 33,
>> 43 etc.
>>
>> =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(B1:B123),10)=3,B1:B123))
>>
>> It is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl + Shift + Enter
>> instead
>> of just Enter.
>>
>> Adjust to your own needs.
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>>
>> Sandy
>> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
>> and the crowning place of kings
>>
>> sandyma...@mailinator.com
>> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>>
>> "Chris" <chris.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell
>> > and all its offsets
>>
>> > i.e.
>>
>> > I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these
>> > values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my
>> > other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc.
>>
>> > What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so

Avoid protected cell warning on BeforeDoubleClick WS event
I am creating an event scheduling worksheet. A grid is generated with days of the month x-axis and users y-axis. Where an event occurs this is logged by a hidden event ID in the appropriate day cell. In order to prevent this ID from being overwritten I protect the worksheet. What I am trying to do is have a worksheet DoubleClick event which either. 1) Captures the event ID in the underlying cell, and opens a custom form for editing the event, or 2) Recognises that no event exists and opens a custom form for logging a new event. What I have tried is to unprotect the workshee...

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

Miscellaneous words appear in Excel 2002 cells
I am working on an Excell 2002 workbook and when I put my cursor in a cell , spurious words get entered into the cell e.g. "and thee the and ...." is one example. I have cable modem and it feels like "someone" has taken control of my PC - by the way I have also noticed this hapening in MS Word but is not as bad as Excel - can some one help. thanks KK Have you enabled speech tools? Click Tools / Speech and examine your options. /i. "KK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:061d01c39d1c$36fc85f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am w...

First row in Selection range (first index of a cell)
Hello, I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection Range or return an index of the first cell in Selection Cell. I have something like this: .................... Range1.Select "and here I want to Select the first range in selection Range1" ............. I there any special function of finding first cell in selection range or returning an index of the first cell?? Thanks for answet Marcin Maybe range1(1).select or range1.cells(1).select or range1.cells(1,1).select mar_male@wp.pl wrote: > > Hello, > I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection...

Why does multiple files not open after being selected.
I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2007. I go to "My documents". After selecting multiple files I right click to get to OPEN. After selecting "open" nothing happens. I have to open one by one file...that works well. What you are trying to do should definitely work... Have you tried repairing the installation? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Magrieta" <Magrieta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF9E98DD-F9CC-43B7-BA8E-24DADDA138D2@microsoft.com... > I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2007. > I go to "...

Selecting Text Box
Is there a keyboard command that one can use with the mouse to select the text box (frame) rather than trigger the Edit Text mode? When there are many objects on the page, getting the mouse to click on the right frame can be a real problem. But if the cursor is in the right box, some keyboard command (with or without the mouse) should help select the right object. Thanks! ...

SQL select statement question
My dataset has 3 columns: customer id, store location, charges I'd like to write a single select statment that will show each customer id once, with the store location where they have the most charges, and the sum of the charges for that store location. This gives the max charges for each customer, but doesn't give the location: select a.custID, max(new.amt) from smallchg a inner join; (select custID, location, sum(charges) as amt from smallchg group by custID, location) as new ; on a.custID= new.CustID group by a.CustID thanks. joel Try this -- SELECT TOP 1 ...

Sum of a cell in all worksheets?
I usually just use the search here and quickly find what I need, but can't seem to get it work this morning I am trying to get a sum of a certain cell in all the sheets in workbook. For example of what I mean, Sum(all worksheets, d64). Ca someone possibly help me out Thanks Michae Hi Michael, Look up 3D in your Excel Help. Surely you do not want to include the same sheet. if sheet2 is your second sheet tab and "sheet 24" is the last tab. =SUM(sheet2:'sheet 24'!C14) --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: htt...

Insert a graphic in a cell
I'd like to be able to enbed a logo in a cell. Not possible. Graphic objects reside on the drawing layer "above" the cells. Cells can contain formulae or values only. Workaround. Insert your graphic, and size it so that it exactly covers the cell. Right-click it, choosing Format Picture. In the Properties tab of the Format Picture dialog, choose the Move and Size with cells radio button. In article <F253C07B-E71A-445E-B612-0189187A09D9@microsoft.com>, Pete_Escher fan <Pete_Escher fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to be able to enbed a...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

Ignore Blank Cells
I update a workbook weekly in separate worksheets. My master worksheet links to the appropriate cells for the updated data. These are simple percentage numbers (not forumlas, etc.) and only need to be a one-on-one link. The problem I have is that if one of the cells is blank, it returns a 0 and I need to to stay blank. Any ideas? There are about 57,000 cells I am working with so I really don't want to have to update manually all blanks. Hi SEF, As long as you want to hide all zero values on a sheet you can use in excel 2003 From the Tools menu select Options On tab V...

Conditional formatting / blank cells
Hello, I need help with a Conditional Format. This is my worksheet. Row 4 A B C D E F G H I $200 $210 I want a conditional format in G4 that states if G4 is greater than or equal to F4 the fill colour is green. If G4 is less than F4, the fill colour is red. If G4 is blank, the fill colour is white. I've tried numerous combinations, but cannot seem to get this to work. Thanks torkattack. Test for the blank first. -- David Biddulph "torkattack" <torkattack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Useless space...
I have a report which includes field which may not contain any data. I've tried using the "can shrink" property on both the text box containing the data as well as the section of the report in which this field resides, but nothing is suppressed - I wind up with useless space. Help? Thank you & happy new year! -- Thanks for your time! I neglected to mention - I've tried various suggestions found on this board, including ensuring that there was no other control on the same line. I've tried using text boxes, combo boxes, and concatenated expressions. I've en...

Clipart will not scale with array of cells
I want to print out an array of cells, some of which contain clipart. When I try to scale up the array to fill the printed page, the clipart scales differently (the clipart objects move down on the page from their normal position within the cells). The artwork size does not change, nor its spacing; it's as though the clipart is reacting to a larger top margin. ...

formula for visible cells
Can I copy a worksheet so that the new worksheet looks exactly like the visible portion of the old worksheet. For example, if I filter and sort, I only want what is left visible to appear in my new worksheet, and I want it to do it automatically without my having to copy and paste. Automatic means VBA code. See Ron de Bruin's site for copying filtered results. http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:32:01 -0700, jpstormy <jpstormy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I copy a worksheet so that the new workshee...

How do I copy the wording of a cell into a tab?
I have a large workbook with the tab titles available to copy to save typing every single one, is it possible to populate the tabs by a form of copy-paste You want your sheet tab name to reflect the value of a particular cell within that sheet? You want to copy a sheet and rename the copy to the value of a cell within that sheet? Please explain in more detail. The lack of sentence structure makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:18:01 -0800, Jamie <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a large wo...

Hold a cell range for an "average formula"
I add a column every week to my work sheet and want the formula to always calculate the current 5 column range. Wendy Akers wrote: > I add a column every week to my work sheet and want the formula to always > calculate the current 5 column range. > > Add a column WHERE? What "formula"? Where is the "current 5 column range"? Hi, Let's say your data is in range C3:H3. In cell K3, enter the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) to get the average =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(3,MAX(ISNUMBER(C3:J3)*COLUMN(C3:J3))+1)),0,...

Pivot Table VBA Reference Book & Blank Cells
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David ...

count in cell
Does anybody know how I can count the number of characters in a cell, I know how to use the 'count' and 'counta' function to count the number of cells used but not in a cell. Thanks =LEN(A1) -- ---------------------------- Mauro Gamberini "Joe" <someone@microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:%23sMRof72EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Does anybody know how I can count the number of characters in a cell, I > know > > how to use the 'count' and 'counta' function to count the number of cells > > used but not in a c...

Auto copy and insert a defined number of rows as defined in a cell
Hi I don't know much about VBA but could probably work something out. I need to produce carton labels from a spreadsheet using Word to mail merge and the labels need to include 1 of 10, 2 of 10 on them. The number of labels required is dependant on a number which is included for each row of data in the spreadsheet. What I am doing at the moment is copying each row and insert pasting the additional number of rows required. In the new rows I then add 1 of 10 in the first row, 2 of 10 in the second row etc. etc. This then enables me to perform the mailmerge. I have around 300...

cannot see info in an excel worksheet over intranet until cell is hilighted
I and other people in my firm cannot see information on excel spreadsheets that are posted on our company intranet until they either hilight a cell or move the arrow keys. While this is by no means a show stopper, the slower members of our company can't seem to wrap thier heads around this issue. Any help would be appreciated. ...

In Excel I have a workbook, and want to select all blank rows for.
I have a worksheet with around 19,000 rows, some of which are blank. It's a price list I do regularly. How can I select all blank rows and then delete them. It will take hours to do them all manually. Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "HANDY ANDY" <HANDY ANDY@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FC815E8C-813A-48EA-94A3-26E8B22F8EB4@microsoft.com... > I have a worksheet with around 19,000 rows, some of which are blank. It's a > price list I do regularly. How can ...

Adding cells that already have formulas
i have a work book with formulas in cells, i need to add the results from the formulas in another cell. Why is something like =A3+B7 or =SUM(A3,B7) no appropriate? Jerry critter wrote: > i have a work book with formulas in cells, i need to add the results from the > formulas in another cell. Sorry i figured it out in my formulas i had "" so the new formula would not read the answers from the cells i had selected. "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote: > Why is something like > =A3+B7 > or > =SUM(A3,B7) > no appropriate? > > Jerry > &g...

How to store length in cell in British format (like INCHES)
Hi How I store 4'5'' (4 foot and 5 inches) in a cell and use it i callculations. Thanks Parminde -- Panka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pankaj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3024 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49913 Your best method is to use a format like 4 5/12 with custom format # ??/12 BTW this is not longer British (UK is metric) but American -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Pankaj" <Pank...

Is a function or a number behind a cell?
Lets say that in column A there are several typed in numbers (2, 5, 8 ect) and some functions that result in a number. By looking at this sheet you cannot tell wether there is a typed in number of function behind a cell. Is there a function that i can put in column B that can tell you weather a the cell right next to it in column A is a typed in number of a function? thank you, bay Create a UDF Function IsFormula(rng As Range) If rng.Count > 1 Then IsFormula = CVErr(xlErrRef) Else IsFormula = rng.HasFormula End If End Function and use that -- HTH Bo...