Select last value

I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am
using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero, and
the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that
work. Help appreciated.

0
c1 (2)
9/21/2005 3:38:31 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try =match(a number larger than possible,your range)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Carl" <c@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am
> using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero,
and
> the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that
> work. Help appreciated.

0
Don
9/21/2005 3:50:43 PM
=INDEX(B1:B1000,MAX(IF(B1:B1000<>"",ROW(B1:B1000))))

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Carl" <c@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am
> using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero,
and
> the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that
> work. Help appreciated.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
9/21/2005 3:58:16 PM
To write a formula that will always give you the contents of a cell that is the bottom cell in a list that is growing, try using the
formula �=INDEX(A:A,COUNT(A:A))� where �A:A� represents the column where the list is. The index function pulls the value from an
intersection of a column and a row, and the count function determines which row to use by counting the number of items currently in
the list. If you have other things in that column then you would simply choose a range that will always be big enough to hold the
list.

This does not need to be an array formula. Give it a shot.

HTH
--
RMC,CPA

"Carl" <c@invalid.com> wrote in message news:eciLEKsvFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
I am trying to select the last (bottom) value on a one-column list. I am
using the COUNT function to designate the bottom value that is not zero, and
the CHOOSE function to select the designated value. But, I can't make that
work. Help appreciated.

0
rchoatecpa (136)
9/21/2005 6:03:20 PM
"R. Choate" <rchoatecpa@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> To write a formula that will always give you the contents of a cell that
> is the bottom cell in a list that is growing, try using the
> formula "=INDEX(A:A,COUNT(A:A))" where "A:A" represents the column where
> the list is. The index function pulls the value from an
> intersection of a column and a row, and the count function determines
> which row to use by counting the number of items currently in
> the list. If you have other things in that column then you would simply
> choose a range that will always be big enough to hold the
> list.
>
> This does not need to be an array formula. Give it a shot.
>
> HTH
> --
> RMC,CPA

R. Choate,
Works very well.
Thanks!
Carl

0
c1 (2)

Sorting Alphanumeric values in a text field
I'm using Access 2003 for a database for my company. I have a field in a table that has both text and numbers. They are part numbers, for example 21BC124. I kept the field as text because of the text with in the numbers and didn't figure that a numeric field would alow the text. In my part numbers table it sorts correctly (first by number then by letter then by number again), but in my reports and queries there are a few number that sort in the wrong place. Like this... 20D10-3 21BC123 21BC128 22D10 25TD47 21FA101 21FA200 25FA203 38FA601 21FP604 38WS100 I can't quite f...

Splitting First and Last Names
I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and last names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this? Hi use 'Data - Text to<columns' for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jamie wrote: > I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both first and last > names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do this? "Jamie" <pastorjman310@hotmail.com> wrote >I have a spreadsheet where the Name feild contains both >first and last > names. I want to split this into two fields. How can I do &g...

Change <value> in outlook
We Have Exchange 2003 sp2 and outlook 2003 sp2. I have renamed 2 AD accounts. Changed all display names, accounts name etc with the 2 accounts. When users open outlook and send to renamed account they see account name <oldaccountname> in the autocomplete list. I have cleared nk2 files in profile , but it still shows newaccount <oldaccountname> in drop down box. Is there a way to edit the <oldaccountnam> value of the renamed account? I tried the same thing with a freshly loaded PC. with the same result. Thanks You can delete the nickname files. -- Ed Crowley MVP - E...

Passing a variable as a parameter value instead of a literal string to a child report?
In the Navigation section (Jump to URL), I have the following: ="javascript:void(window.open('http://localhost/reportserver?/Reports +Folder/My +Report&rs:Command=Render&StartDate=01/01/2009&FinishDate=12/31/2010'))" This works as designed - a new window pops up with the "My Report" report and the StartDate and FinishDate of 01/01/2009 and 12/31/2010 are passed respectively. But what is the syntax for changing the "01/01/2009" and "12/31/2010" to variables that point to the StartDate and FinishDate parameters of the PAR...

Count unique values
Hi, I've some problems to count unique items (Invoice #) in a pivot table. There is the default solution "Add-a-new-calculated-column" as mentioned on http://contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique, but in my case, it doesn't works. My problem is, that these values aren't in a Excel worksheet; it's a external data source - a SQL-Select via DAO/ADO. Because of that, I don't have the possibility to add a new column. Another reason is, that the pivot table should always be dynamic: Group over this field, group over another field - and always show the number of unique...

Top values
Dear friends, need your help again please. I have a table: tbl_Plots (PlotID is the primar key - number byte) and tbl_Data (ID is the primary key - autonumber, PlotID related to tblePlots, height - number byte and diameter - number integer). I need to select the 20 bulkiest trees of each plot, i.e. having the biggest diameter. Also, perhaps in a plot less than 20 trees will be present so I will need all of them. Any suggestions? Thanking you in advance, GeorgeCY hi Geroge, George wrote: > I have a table: tbl_Plots (PlotID is the primar key - number byte) and > tbl_Data (ID is...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Comparing first and last names in two lists

Cannot Print a selection of ToDo's
I have a user who is having an issue when attempting to print a selection of his Todo list. The print dialog will appear but as soon as he clicks either print or print preview the dialog dissapears and no jobs are sent to the print que. He is able to print other documents to this printer and the issue occurs with all other printers installed (including a PDF printer). Computer is running Vista business 32 bit w/ Vista SP2. Office 2007 Small Business with Office SP2. ...

Changing the Selection Fields in a Combo Box
Hi, I've created a Combo Box using the Controls Wizard. In creating the control, I specified that my unique value to be stored in the table is an ID. When the user views the selection options in the Combo Box, I'd like to have the ID field hidden and only see the text values, while still storing the ID in the appropriate column. This is probably a second question. Also, when the user views a form that has been populated, I'd like them to see the actual textual values on the form, as just the stored ID value. Is that possible to do with the one Combo Box or is that...

selecting multiple choices from a drop down list
I have a drop down list in a cell and I want to be able to selec multiple entries from that list. Does anyone know how I go this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If this is a data validation list, you could use code to compile a list of selected items. For example, if the data validation is in column C, the following code will store the selected items in the same row in column D: '============================= Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim rngDV As Range Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub On Error Resume N...

ComboBox passing values from selected
In my form (Items_frm) I have a combo box (Itemcbx) that displays 4 columns (Item, Makebuy, Revision, IsActive) but is bound to the first column. However, I would like to pass the other values from the remaining columns to other fields in my form after the selection. Is this possible? Can someone provide a sample code? You can use the Column() attribute. Me.Itemcbx.Column(1) etc. Note that the index for combo box columns is zero-based so 0 is the first, 1 is the second and so on... Steve "Angel G" wrote: > In my form (Items_frm) I have a combo box (Itemcbx) that displ...

Deleting Unique Values
How do you delete unique values in a column? I need to filter 7500+ rows to only display duplicate values. The VBA code below will delete the entire row when the value in col. "A" will be uniqe. Consider to make a copy of your entire sheet in order to test the code and see if this is what you need. ------------------------------- Sub Delete_Uniques() LR = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row For R = LR To 1 Step -1 If Application.CountIf(Range("A:A"), Cells(R, 1)) = 1 Then Cells(R, 1).EntireRow.Delete End If N...

List Box Point-to-Select (MouseMove)
I have a list box that shows files from my hard drive. I'd really like to have it select the item being pointed to as I move my mouse pointer over it. I have coded this and it works fine unless the list is scrolled. I need a way to offset my list index to account for how far down the list has been scrolled. I can't find a list box property that will allow me to determine where a scrolled list is positioned. Something giving me the list index of the first visible row would do the trick. I haven't been able to find anything so far. I've tried some VB code that uses the Send...

Making words in a list a value!!
I am trying to create a list that will generate a value in another column once that word or phrase is chosen. Is this possible and how. Exp. In the drop down list I would chose Product, then in the price column the price automatically appears. brco1, Much better than I could ever explain the process. Here's exactly wha you need. http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html HT -- Case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=454 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

Getting right date value
I setup my DTPicker control to be used only as a date control, yet I'm noticing that sometimes it will give back a date AND a time all in the same "value" variable. Since it appears that a variable of type "Date" can give back both a date and time, how can I eliminate the time half of a date value??? I might not be able to exactly control the DTPicker control to give me JUST a date, so I'm just curious what to do if it gives me back both a date & time. thank u Hi, Try this : Dim x as date x = cdate(clng(DTPicker1.value)) &qu...

find match then change cell value

VLookup #VALUE! error help needed to resolve
The following is the funcation I have: =VLOOKUP(B10,'FA CC Summary Report 1141'!F$9:G$92,2,0) I have all the columns formatted the same; as in the column that the function is using to lookup is text and so is the column for this figure in order to pull back the appropriate answer. I have keyed the data instead of having links. I have replaced the final '0' with TRUE & FALSE then put it back. I have formatted the columns for text and for numbers. But I am getting the #VALUE! error in SOME of the cells NOT all of the cells. I don't know what else to d...

#VALUE error when linking to other files
I have a summary sheet that pulls info from approx 10 other excel files. In one column of the summary sheet, the links perform just fine. Each cell in this column is the sum of an entire column in another workbook. When I open the summary page and choose "yes" to update with new information, everything works properly. However, in the same worksheet as this, I have another column where each cell is the result of a SUMIF where the data comes from another workbook. The odd part that I cannot understand is why when I open the summary sheet and update the information do all the cells...

Countif and values greater than zero for a named range
I have a workbook with 30+ worksheets. For each of the sheets, there is a cell (F51) that is part of a named range (PPG). On Sheet 1, cell c9, I want to sum the range (PPG) and then divide by ONLY the number of cells on the other sheets (F51) that are greater than 0. I am able to sum and then divide by count (=sum(PPG)/Count(PPG) but I cannot seem to get it to only count the cells that are greater than zero. When I attempt to use suggestions from other posts: (=sum(PPG)/COUNTIF(PPG)>0) I get error. Any help is appreciated. If you need Excel help on how the COUNT...

setting a column value in code for an updatable ViewGrid
Is there a way to set the value for a column in code when a ViewGrid row is edited? I have a row-last-updated date that is a required audit field in all our systems (required by data management). I don't really want the user updating this field as it should always be system controlled. If I create an editable ViewGrid tied to either an SqlDataSource or an ObjectDataSource, the field seems to only be updatable by the user. I can set it the first time by setting the DefaultValue in code but that has no effect after there is an initial value in the column. Do I need to co...

Show a cell as drop-down even if cell not selected
Hi, Let A1 be a list using Data --> Validation --> List --> with 1,2,3 as values. Therefore, whenever A1 is selected it indicates with a small icon seemingly attached to the cell that a drop-down exists. Can we make a cell show that it contains a drop-down even when the cell is not selected? If so, how? The solution could be either through code or some external setting. Note that i am using Windows 2000, Office 2000. Thanking you in advance. Regards, Giri Hi there's no such option to automatically add an indicator. You may color these cells with a different color -...