Searching for text

Max helped first maybe again? :)

I have a search that I want it to look for two separate values in the
same search string.

the search is embedded in an if statement like so...

=IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),"",ROW()))

Search is looking for 11 right now and I also want it to look for 12.

I have tried several different scenarios but can not seem to get it to
work.

Is this possible to do?

Thanks
cucme (3)
6/17/2004 7:23:42 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

C,

=IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(OR(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),ISERROR(SEARCH("12",B3))),
"",ROW()))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Trip Poly" <cucme@cox.net> wrote in message
> Max helped first maybe again? :)
>
> I have a search that I want it to look for two separate values in the
> same search string.
>
> the search is embedded in an if statement like so...
>
> =IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),"",ROW()))
>
> Search is looking for 11 right now and I also want it to look for 12.
>
> I have tried several different scenarios but can not seem to get it to
> work.
>
> Is this possible to do?
>
> Thanks

Bernie
6/17/2004 12:32:03 PM
Bernie,

Thanks for the help...with that I got what I needed.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:32:03 -0400, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @
consumer dot org> wrote:

>C,
>
>=IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(OR(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),ISERROR(SEARCH("12",B3))),
>"",ROW()))
>
>HTH,
>Bernie
>MS Excel MVP
>
>"Trip Poly" <cucme@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Max helped first maybe again? :)
>>
>> I have a search that I want it to look for two separate values in the
>> same search string.
>>
>> the search is embedded in an if statement like so...
>>
>> =IF(ISBLANK(B3),"",IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("11",B3)),"",ROW()))
>>
>> Search is looking for 11 right now and I also want it to look for 12.
>>
>> I have tried several different scenarios but can not seem to get it to
>> work.
>>
>> Is this possible to do?
>>
>> Thanks

cucme (3)

search for right
Hi all, I wonder if there's any possibility to do the following without rearranging my tables: I'd like to look up an order number in a table, and get the price from two coloumns _left_ So the order number is in C3 and I'd like to get the value in A3 and so on. Vlookup does only to right... Please advise, Thanks, Marton =INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(ord_num,C1:C100,0)) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "VilMarci" <dontsend@here.com> wrote in message news:eHlKiP6VFHA.3764@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I wonder if...

hide a text box in a continuous form
I have a form that i created that display each form as a row in a continous form. What I need is to have one text field on one row not visible when a check box is checked. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks! Using Conditional Formatting, evalaute the state of the field bound to the CheckBox to set the Background color of the TextBox to match that of the Background color of the form. You might have to set the Disabled prop via CF as well. There is sample code showing one wat to accomplish this here: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm A2K or Higher Only! New Feb 08,2002...

extracting data from a text string of varying length
is there anyway to get a computed value for the square inches in the following cell: LightJet Mural - from Provided File (8.5X11) Normal I am trying to compute usage from parts that are named with the dimension embedded in the description - and the dimensions varies with each description. the dimension is always embedded as shown (widthxheight). the text string surrounding the numerical data vaires in length thanks for your collective wisdom, excel gurus... try using instr x=instr(string, y=instr( ' A textual comparison starting at position 4. Returns 6. MyPos = Instr(4, SearchStr...

Ctrl- F for search
I have a search button on the form which works fine. I tried to use Ctrl-F to do the same function and get "an error occurred in a call to the Windows Date and Time Picker control" I have DateTimePicker control on the form. Are there any conflict with Ctrl-F search function and DateTimePicker ActiveX control? Your information is great appreciated, ...

Printing without certain text (i.e., answers, notes)
Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For example, I need to print a student version without answers and instructor's notes. Thanks, TM One way would be to use a style (call it Answers for example), when you want to print out the students copies change the color of the style Answers to white. That should do it. "TM" <t_mccollough@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e6czHS2YDHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know an easy way to print two versions of a document? For > example, I need to print a student version without answers an...

importing text file into excel file using macro
Hi, How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this proces run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doin it. I have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks, An Attachment filename: rdata.txt Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66130 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >Hi, >How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this process >run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doing >it. I have attached a text file for your r...

How do you get the maximum value to display in text box form
In a form, if I have 4 text boxes and 3 of them will contain a number. How do you get the maximum value to display in the 4th. I have tried many different things, I can make it work for a single field in a table, but that finds the value through all records. I just want it to display the max value from the numbers on the form, which could be different for various records. You could use something like this as the Control Source of the 4th text box (the underscore is for ease of reading here, and must be removed from the Control Source): =IIf([Field1]>[Field2] And [Field1]>[Field3],...

Excel cells should take number format and/or optional text eg Dec.
I usually pre-set number formats and other limitations on forms to ensure that I get the information that I need. Often, however, the date is vague and requires text, e.g., Nov 2005 instead of 11/1/05, which is Excel's default if you type in "Nov 2005." I can alleviate the issue on my own work, but my forms need to remain locked when being used by others. My suggestion is that an option be offered so a cell could take either/or text or number in the case of dates. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the ...

How zoom/increase font size of Office 2004 "Help" text?
Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components� documents. How does one do this with the small-font text in Help? Respectfully, Norm On 9/14/04 1:36 AM, in article BD6BFBA9.49F3%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in > to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components� documents. > > How does one do this with the small-font text in Help...

"Outlook Today" button text? And "alt-k" for OLToday?
Office Outlook 2007. Having installed OL2007, I had an "Outlook Today" button available, which had both text and icon on it. Also, clicking "alt-k" while on any page other than OL today brought me there. This morning, I uninstalled Business Contact Manager, because I have no use for it. Having done that, my Outlook Today button vanished. I was able to get it back, but it has only the icon, with no text. That's really not a big deal, except that the button is smaller than I'm used to, and thus not as easy to spot. I'd like the text back with it. Also, al...

Autofill Text
I am trying to create a series of text sets, eg. aaa-aaz, aab-abz, but find that I cannot autofill unless the series contains numbers or dates. Can any one suggest a simple answer for this as I am not an experienced user of EXCEL. It seems that filling in each series individually is the answer but it's a lot from aaa to zzz. Would be greatful for any assistance. Cheers "Ryko" <sourcemusic@tsn.cc> wrote in message news:ADBE64DF-285A-4050-B88E-A98BFCD84CD4@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a series of text sets, eg. aaa-aaz, aab-abz, but find that I cannot autofill...

Searching in a column of strings
Hi I try to find how many cells have a sequence of charcters. From Cell A1:A50. Exemple for "NY" : cellA1 = NY123 cellA2 = NY3235 cellA3 = NY5434 cellA4 = LA4234 function(NY) = 3 Like Seach but instead to be in a single cell, it's in a sequence of cell? Thanks Jack Jack =COUNTIF($A:$A,"*NY*") Regards Trevor "Jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:348501c3fd71$700c6c60$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Hi > > I try to find how many cells have a sequence of > charcters. From Cell A1:A50. > > Exe...

inverting text box or fonts for artwork
I cannot figure out how to invert text that is inside a text box. If there is not any way to do this is there a way to invert text outside a text box? Thank you for your help Kathy The entire text box gets inverted. If you want just a line or a word to invert, you need to make a separate text box. Just make the box active, select the icon that looks like a line with an arrow head in a circle and click on it. BTW, this is with Publisher 2000. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "Kathy Keating" <revskc@mcdeb.com> wrote in message n...

Adjusting Two Columns with Text
I have two columns. I've entered numbered text in each column. As I add more numbered items, the second column keeps adjusting itself downward. Is there anyway to freeze the second column as I add items to column one? I am not really sure what you mean by "the second column keeps adjusting itself downward". Do you have a two column table, or is the document formatted with columns? It sounds like you may have the former when what you want is the latter. Format the document so that it has two columns (via the Page Setup section of the Page Layout tab in Word 200...

Shrinking font in Report Text Box
I have strings of varying length that I need to display in the same text box, so I would like to be able to shrink the text if it would otherwise be truncated. I've read other, similar posts but still have a question. It seems that Lebans AutoSizeFont is the right module for me to download (http://www.lebans.com/autosizefont.htm), but having done that, I'm not sure how to "apply" it to the text box in question. I've got no experience using modules. Could someone walk me through it? Thanks, Keith Keith wrote: >I have strings of varying length that I need to...

Vanishing Entourage Message Text
OK, so here's a good one. On the MacBook Pro, running latest OS and up to date Office 2004, some email messages display no text. Toggling the "display complex HTML" does not resolve this. If I get the same message forwarded through another user, it often displays properly. Suggestions? Dan Hi Dan, are you by any chance connected to an Exchange 2003 server? If yes, Microsoft released a patch a week or two ago which introduced a bug in OWA. They are aware of the problem and working on a fix. If that does not explain your problem, you'll have to post back and be more sp...

cell to have comma-delimited values based on text
I have a table called "220_reference" with a column name "Part Number" having a sample value of below: 4047122(All Dash no.), 4057222(All Dash no.), 4058222(All Dash no.), 4060122(All Dash no.) The entire value is in one cell representing the "Part Number" column(defined as general type so text I suppose). Simple enough. But what I need to do is take any number that has "(All Dash no.)" after it and search through a column in another table to retrieve any rows that have that number(text) in it. The other table name is "220" with ...

excel grid lines over lapping the text
Closer to the bottom of a printed Excel spread sheet the text is moving into the lines. I cannot tell if the grid or the text is moving. I am a printer technician for HP and I have looked at the printer and it is OK. The driver has been updated also. Can anyone else? I won't bore you with the standard 'Update the Printer Driver' answer, because if anyone's got the latest then you have :-) I did try a Google on it, and found practically zip on solutions for this, other than one suggestion from Nick, that you may want to give a go:- >>I doubt Excel and strange though it ...

Outlook 2003 bug -can't insert note as text
When creating a mail message, choose Item from the Insert menu, then try to insert a note as text. All that is inserted into the mail is the date and time the note was last modified. Outlook XP and Outlook 2000 don't have this bug - they correctly insert the text of the note into the body of the mail. Nick ...

Searching a Differnt worksheet in the same workbook.
So what I need to do is have a colum D that searches Sheet1, column E for a certain text string entered in a different sheet (either 2 or 3) column D. If they match I want the cell in column E, sheet 2 or 3 to return a text of "Found" and if there is no match I want the cell to be blank. I've been looking in these forums and have a feeling it can be done, I just can't figure out how. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Dear Cre...

Wizard button text
I am creating a Wizard with slightly non-standard behaviour and I need to change the text of the Finished and Cancel buttons. I can use SetFinishText() for the Finished button but can't see a way to change the text of the Cancel button. Is it possible to do this? The reason I want this behaviour is that the Wizard allows the user to configure devices and I want them to be able to set up several devices without restarting the Wizard each time. So the "Finished" button would be better labelled "Configure" or "Apply" because it applies the settings to ...

Searching in SharePoint
I'd like to know how SharePoint performs it's search function. Does it search the entire site by default. Is there a way to start a search from a top-level site and cascade through an entire site? Does it/can it search within Office documents as well as in list items? Hello Training, That is too complicated a topic to easily summarize in an answer. Best thing you buy a book and learn more, for example, the MS Press administrator's companion. To provide some answers, MS search searches thru the entire site collection by default, it searches Office documents as well ...

Text and Formula in the Same Cell
Good Morning, Everyone - Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a cell that has text - "Vendo Name" - and I also want that cell to contain a formula (counta). I this possible? Thankx, C -- theboatdud ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theboatdude's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1024 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27525 Here's an example: ="Vendor Name: "&COUNTA(B:B) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- > >Goo...

Unbound Text Box Help
I have an unbound text box called TYPE, that I want to display the name of a transaction type. See below code. I have added this to the BeforeUpdate and the AfterUpdate and the TYPE remains blank. This is DSform and the infromation is for display purposes only. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is not working and what I can do to correct my ways. Matt Private Sub TYPE_BeforeUpdate() If Me.TRANS_TYP = "S" Then Me.TYPE = "SALES FORECAST" End If If Me.TRANS_TYP = "I" Then Me.TYPE = "INVOICE" End If ...

muti search box
I have added a multi search box to my site but I can't get the other site to come up when we click there boxes . I have selected Yahoo, e bay, craigslist & the web Am I doing something wrong Please help. Thank Tony aa.saving@yahoo.com On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:24:55 -0700, aa.saving@yahoo.com wrote: >I have added a multi search box to my site but I can't get the other >site to come up when we click there boxes . I have selected Yahoo, e >bay, craigslist & the web Am I doing something wrong Please help. >Thank Tony aa.saving@yahoo.com You're asking in the wr...