Scanning into Excel #2

Recently, my hard drive died and I lost a lot of files. Is it possible
to scan a printed Excel file into Excel? (I know...I should have backed
it up!)

thanks in advance
john g
0
roryfan (1)
3/2/2008 1:17:03 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You will need some OCR software (which is often supplied with scanners) to
convert the graphical image to editable text. Many OCR packages have the
ability to recognise columns and produce a file in Excel format, but you
might still have to do some manual changes depending on how good your
printout is.

The process can only convert what is on paper, so you will have to
re-instate any formulae yourself.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"roryfan" <roryfan@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Recently, my hard drive died and I lost a lot of files. Is it possible to
> scan a printed Excel file into Excel? (I know...I should have backed it
> up!)
>
> thanks in advance
> john g

0
pashurst (2576)
3/2/2008 1:47:15 AM
Only if you have a really, really, really good OCR application with your
scanner.

Even then you probably won't get 100% data recognition and will require some
editing.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 20:17:03 -0500, roryfan <roryfan@comcast.net> wrote:

>Recently, my hard drive died and I lost a lot of files. Is it possible
>to scan a printed Excel file into Excel? (I know...I should have backed
>it up!)
>
>thanks in advance
>john g

0
Gord

Why can't I convert quatro pro .wb3 file in Excel #2
I have trid everything suggested in Excel and on-line but can't convert my *.wb3 file in Excel 2003. Downloaded the Office converter file and ran it, still nothing appropriate in add-ins. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Tom ...

Excel 97 Autofilter
Is there a maximum number of lines that can be displayed using AutoFilter? In a list of >8000 items only 600 or so are displayed. How can I get around this? An AutoFilter dropdown list will only show 1000 entries. If your column has more than 1000 unique items, they can be filtered, but they can't all be displayed in the dropdown list. To AutoFilter for an item that doesn't appear in the dropdown list, you can choose Custom from the drop-down list, and type the criteria. Also, there are a couple of workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html Al...

How can I do this in Excel
I know only enough about Excel to get me in trouble so please keep your answers as basic as possible. I have a entry like 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 when I paste this into a worksheet I would like it to appear like this col A col B col C col D col E col F col G col H 01/04/2006 10 23 42 48 54 03 x4 Can this be done? I remember seeing a feature where you could put lines to sperate date into different columns Thanks ...

Outbox stuck #2
I attached a large file 20mb to an email (what was i thinking). Now it is stuck in outbox, when i start it is there and does not complete send/recieve. when i try to click on it , it says outlook has already started transmitting this file and it is not accessable. I would really appreciate any help to delete that file from outbox. I have already repeatedly repaired/uninstalled/reinstalled office, along with registry repair. Please save my hard drive from a reformat. Thanks Zaheer You could try finding the outlook.pst file, reaming it, and then open Outlook and let Outlook create a new...

Pivot Table- Column 2 sort
How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. Thanks! Right click on the column and select Field Settings | Advanced to access the sort options... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "srpd" wrote: > How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected > a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. > Thanks! Difficult to answer without knowing the structure of your underlying data and what, exactly...

Physical inventory report #2
When i select the inventory tab, select physical inventory and choose the option for a manual count, is there anyway i can generate a report after inputting all items that tells me what product i haven't entered. Any help would be appreciated. ...

kernel32.dll error #2
Does somebody know what to do to fix the follow error: Everytime I open Outlook 2000 and download email at the end of the download I get a kernel32.dll error and have to restart the computer to clear it otherwise it goes to dial up instead of the cable modem to send and receive emails. I am using Windows ME and have Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarn firewall installed. Thanks in advance! ...

Row numbers #2
I want to label and print row numbers for each row, however, I do not wish to print column headings...can I disable the printing of the column headings? Is there possibly a function to run in a cell to provide it a number or something else? ----------------- Scott You can only disable printing column *and* row headings. <File> <PageSetup> <Sheet> tab, Make sure "column & row headings" is *unchecked*. Then, you can number your first column to mirror the row numbers, and that will give the impression of displaying and printing the row headers. You could e...

Sharing Folders #2
We have several csa's that need to answer email sent to our customer service email address. How can I allow them to all view the messages and respond using their own email address? I also want to know how many messages each of them responded to each day. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. In news:1160056739.115655.121970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, CableGuy <cabletech1@gmail.com> typed: > We have several csa's that need to answer email sent to our customer > service email address. How can I allow them to all view the messages > and respond using their own email ...

Want to know if there is a canned project summary format that I can use/customize #2
Hi Debra, Thanks for the tip. I found some very interesting templates there However, I didn't find any that suits my needs. I will continue t search for that -- ssaiba ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ssaibal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1493 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26567 ...

Excel Formula #3
Trying to write a formula that would say this: If there is an "x" in column F2 then add 1 to the number in column I2. In other words column I2 starts with a "0" and if there is a "x" placed in F2, then I want I2 to read "1". This is a win loss chart so there would be "x's" in other columns but I want it to keep adding "1" to I2. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** A bit more clarity before suggesting a worksheet_...

link transactions to "bills and deposits" #2
I've now set up my "bills and deposits" and everything seems to be working except for one thing. The "bills and deposits" is not picking up the downloaded "apay" transactions. So, "bills and deposits" is telling me that my electric bill is overdue, even though the apay transaction was downloaded. Is the "bills and deposits" component supposed to submit a transaction on my checking account so I can link it to the downloaded transaction? Thanks, DB01 ...

Microsoft Publisher #2
Trying to open email attachment (newsletter) created with Mircosoft Publisher. File 'saves' from attachment to 'Downloadw' but will not open in Publisher. Message reads "Publisher cannot open file" with an 'okay' button. Also, unable to print that screen to send to original sender. Are the versions of Publisher the same or is your version a later version? Are you running that garbage software Symantec Norton AV? -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" Is the attachment a .pub file? -- JoAnn Paules M...

Excel 2007
Hi, I wanted to post a fix to a common problem I've seen. There are many posts on the internet concerning this but I've only seen the true fix once. Here's the problem, someone installs Office 2007 and then when they try to double click on an Excel file, it opens Excel but the Excel file itself does not open. So, you are left looking at the Excel 2007 screen, but it is blank with no workbooks open (not even the default one that usually opens). Here is the official Microsoft solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074 - however, this only fixes about 20% of the case...

Automating Excel from Access
From Access I'm trying to set the vertical alignment for all cells of an Excelfile to 'Top': Dim XLApp As Excel.Application Dim XLBook As Excel.Workbook Dim XLSheet As Excel.Worksheet Set XLApp = New Excel.Application Set XLBook = XLApp.Workbooks.Open("c:\Test.xls") Set XLSheet = XLBook.Worksheets(1) XLSheet.Activate XLSheet.Cells.Select With Selection .VerticalAlignment = xlTop End With XLBook.SaveAs ("c:\Test2.xls") Set XLSheet = Nothing XLBook.Close Set XLBook = Nothing XLApp.Quit Set XLApp = Nothing but I get the message objetvariable or blockvaria...

Microsoft 2007
I am trying to share a workbook - Toolbar, Review/Share Workbook - Each time, I get a message, the file is no longer shared and will not let me save. Any thoughts? -- Patty I think another person of your shared workbook might have removed you from the sharing. Otherwise the file has been moved to some other location. Save the current file in your local system and try to open the Original File from its actual location. -- Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Patty" wrote: > I am tryi...

2 part protection in Word 2007
Can you proctect a single word doc on two levels? One level allowing users to fill in the forms fields only. Second level allow track changes to only a certain part of the document. When the user fills in the form fields, track changes does not show it as a change but if a user makes any changes to a body of text, it tracks the changes. Thank you for the wisdom! No, Word's protection mechanisms aren't that selective. Besides, if you're using a protected form, the user can't edit anywhere except in the form fields unless they turn off protection. -- Regards,...

bin location export into excell
I run a report and then export it into excell. In the report all the bin #'s are correct, but in excell a protion of them are shown as dates rather than 00-00-00. Why do only some do this? The items in question were built at various times. Sandy It's being interpreted as a date by MS Excel due to the format of the bin location field. See my reply to your other post. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "Sandy" wrote: > I run a report and then export it into excell. In the report all the bin #'s > are correct, but in excell a protion of them are shown as dates...

How do I change the color for cell selection in excel?
I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, column, or specific group of cells, Excel would highlight the group in a certain color. In Excel 2007, it simply surrounds the selected group of cells with a thick black line. I've tried going into Excel Options under Advanced but couldn't find how to do this. Can you assist me in changing this feature? On Dec 31 2007, 6:52 pm, dminliberty <dminlibe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Excel 2007. In the older versions when I select a row, > column, or specific grou...

Can i use a formula in the excel chart wizard?
I am creating a coursework in which i have to analyse a lot of data in the spreadsheet. it is already cluttered with columns and i dont want to add extra columns to add to the clutter. i was wondering whether there is a way to plot absolute values of a column without changing the actual values in the column or creating a new column using ABS() function. Thanx You can't use formulas in the reference boxes in the chart wizard. You can only use range references or defined names. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ On 3...

Creating forms in Access or Excel that link to Visio Documents
Does anybody have any experience with creating forms in access or excel that are integrated with Visio? How would I go about doing this? Access by definition can store 'objects', which can include visio drawings. If prompted, don't select display icon a.) create table add oledb field add text field for name b.) open table select oledb field and right click => insert new microsoft visio edit the new drawing and close it c.) create a form based on new table drag the oledb field onto the form d.) open the form what are you attempting to do? al &quo...

using excel windows 98
i have a table of 100's of figures that are all in text, ie: 12 34 45 56 67 78 56 78 23 78 34 67 23 89 45 78 87 21 each number in it's own cell, but i have loads of them how can i get a decimal point in front of all of them, so they all show like this ..12 .34 .45 .56 .67 .78 ..56 .78 .23 .78 .34 .67 ..23 .89 .45 .78 .87 .21 i have looked in the cells settings and can not find a way myself, i have been told to check a box to default the decimal point, but this is when you have an empty sheet, not when you have already entered the figures. any ideas. thanks Jason One way .. ...

Accidental Saved over Excel File
I was clicking on a help topic and realized as it was loading the help screen, that I needed to click on the other topic. I clicked several times and then somehow it clicked something in the background in the worksheet, my worksheet is now blank, and all the data is gone. Is there ANYWAY at all to get the workbook again in the condition it was before the accidental last save??? Sorry to Say, but AFAIK there is no way to recover your files except of course if you have made a back up copy. "Tom" <wilsontb@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:00b001c38fb8$69c6da60$a00128...

Nested Formula #2
In a table below, I am trying to "Count" the number of time a row begining with "H" has a number "1" iin it. I believe this has to be a "Nested" function but I am unsure. I will repeat this function for the leters A/U/S, and for the number 0/2 as well. H 1 1 0 2 0 H 2 2 1 0 0 A 1 1 1 1 1 U 0 0 U 2 1 1 S 0 H 1 2 1 2 1 A 2 2 2 1 1 U 1 1 1 1 2 Rick Hi Rick try the following for counting all H/1 in your range: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A999="H")*(B1:H999=1)) assumption: Your range extends from A1...

PDF or Image file transfer to Excel
Is there any possible way to pull the information off an image onto Excel? For example, Blue Company receives a remittance advice each month from Red Customer. This remittance advice is received in PDF format and is hundreds of pages. Is there anyway to take this remittance advice in PDF format and translate it to Excel? That way all the invoices on this remittance advice do not have to be manually keyed? Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!! Ryan You can convert the pdf to an html file, and then open it up in Excel. Of course you'll lose formatting but you can reconstruct it ...