saving and remaming files

Folks,
  Have a small company with 5 pc's networked with Server 2000. Recently
users have complained that when they open excel files (that are stored on
the server and shared by all users) and make changes...they hit "save" (as
they always have) and it renames the file as (if the secretary has recalled
the error message correctly) as a temp file. This has obviously caused
problems with the other users. When they go to open the folder (after
changes have been made by another user) they do not see the changes. They
have combated the problem even further as they have started to rename the
temp file the same as what the original name should have been.
  Is this a permission problem?

I hope that I have been clear and described the problem accurately.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

0
kyle1 (1)
12/18/2003 2:59:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no
extension).  Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the original and
rename this funny named file to the original's name.

You see the results when something interferes with this process.

A couple of things that get pointed at are antivirus software and network
problems (hardware or permissions).

Maybe you could disable the antivirus software (temporarily) to see if that
helped.

If it's not the antivirus software, did something on your network change
recently?

(if the problem went away by disabling the AV software, maybe a visit to its
site to see if there are any upgrades available???)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

backing up files
Does anyone know if it is possible to back up my money files to a CD RW disc. Please e-mail an answer to me. Why should I email you an answer when the answer to this question has already been posted three or four times already this week? Please read the posts. "John Koegel" <bigjohn1016@mns.com> wrote in message news:044501c348bf$62e760b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if it is possible to back up my money > files to a CD RW disc. Please e-mail an answer to me. ...

PDF file #7

No date fields appear when exporting/importing CSV file?
Hello All, I need to convert some legacy emails from another system to a format that can be read by Outlook. The preferred format is CSV text, which we plan to import into Outlook. I noticed when playing with the export/import that the following seem to be the standard fields that get exported into an Outlook generated CSV file: "Subject", "Body (text)", "From: (Name)", "From: (Address)", "From: (Type)", "To:(Name)", "To: (Address)", "To: (Type)", "CC: (Name)", "CC: (Address)", "CC: (...

Exchange/Outlook 2003
In an effort to make sure we never reach the 16GB threshold for the SBS 2003 Exchange Info Store, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the PST file. I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet. My thoughts to date: * create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive settings themselves * set PST location to local drive, or common netw...

How do I list more opened Word docs under the File menu
Word 2003 displays the last 4 Word files opened on clicking the File menu. I would like to increase this to about 20. Can this be done, and if so, how? In Word 2003, the maximum number that can be shown is 9 and it can be set via Tools>Options>General -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Wellington" <Wellington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9B8C9D4-4F78-4A92-94C6-8DC0D41388...

create chart /table excel-save, close & reopen colors change? Why
When I create a chart/table in Excel - save, close & reopen to use again, the colors have changed for my formating. How do I set the formating so that the colors stay the same - I have tried styles with no luck. The colors need to be the company approved. Thank you, Anne, I am unable to reproduce yr problem. Excel should NOT override yr manual settings. However,you can set yr company colours as default under Tools/Options/[Color tab]. Here are the colours Excel uses by default for the workbook. (Under that thin line you see the defaults for fill and line colours.) Hope this...

data error while opening files
when i open excel or word existing file i getting contents as "DATAError [47 0F 94 93 F4 K5]" instead of my saved data. pls help me solving. My all word & excel files are have same problem. ...

Cannot open Publisher File
I'm using Publisher 2003 and have a 100 MB (66 MB Compressed) publisher file that consitently hangs up publisher when trying to open it. Once in a while, the first page will load, but when you try to switch to another page, the program hangs up again. I've tried several PCs to open the file with including a P4 file server with 2 GB of RAM. nothing seems to make a difference. I can tell through the Task Manager that the app is doing some sort of processor work, but no disk access is being performed. I tried opening the file in Safe Mode and it make some slight improvements w...

integrate my vendor/supplier files from RMS and SBF into Outlook
I want to be able to see my vendor/supplier the same info in outlook, RMS and SBF I hate having to rekey the same information over and over. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-...

Publisher 2007 not opening saved projects.......
I have Publisher 2007, and I was wanting to open a previous project that I had done before, and it wouldn't work and it would say "Microsoft Office 2007 has stopped working. Click to find online solutions or click to close." It doesn'y do that with any other of the Microsoft Products. Can anyone help? Did you try Office Diagnostics in the Help menu? Did you "click" for online solutions? Can you open other Publisher files? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C158393B-46...

Lost File #2
I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another person but they are not. Can anyone help >-----Original Message----- >I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am >aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access >any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another >person but they are not. > >Can anyon...

Parsing a space delimited file into segments
I have a space delimited file that contains address information. Is there a way to parse each record so that I parse the records into specific portions (Company Name is field 1, Street Address is field 2, etc.)? Using the space as a delimiter doesn't help in this instance because every word is obviously separated by a space. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks. hi, you could use the fixed width option but unless all of the data is the same width that could cause a serious problem. i don't know how much data you have but you may have to do it in groups or 1 line a...

3 pst files
I want to have 3 pst files on my Outlook 2003 setup. Is this possible? I have the pst file that I work now and 2 others which are pst files from an old laptop which I want just to be there as separate. How can I do it and shall I do Import or is there any other way. thanks Virginia Don't use the import feature. Simply reconnect the pst-files via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... You can place the pst-file in a location that is convenient to you. For instance in a sub folder of your My Documents folder called "Outlook". -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Out...

Can't open any .exe files
If I click on any programs it pops up and tells me that there is no association. I know how to association a file extension normally. If I click on Excel it gives me the error. Yet if I click on an Excel file then it will open the file. If I click on Notepad gives me the association error yet again if I click on a file saved in Notepad it opens that file. I tried to run System Restore but I get the same error. The exact error message is : This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this Acton. Create an association in the Folder Options control Pane...

unknown cab file required
I just installed Project 2003 and immediately ran the update routine. Office Update tells me that it has SP1 for Project and some new junk mail filters for Outlook 2003. I tell it to download both patches. Download proceeds with no problem. Installation tells me that it cannot find a file called SKU111.CAB. I search all local hard disks - no file. I search the Project disk - no file. I search the Office 2003 disk - no file. I even searched the Publisher 2003 disk (which is not installed). I can account for an SKU13B and an SKU119, but no SKU111. I search all of Microsoft.com - nothing e...

error opening excel file
hi! i cannot open this excel file, an microsoft visual basic window appear saying "An error occur while loading 'Sheet32111111111111111111111111'. Do you want to continue loading the project?" i click yes, microsoft window appear and asking if i want to update this workbook? then i click no a Program Error window appear saying " An error log is being created" what happen to the excel file? the excel file is only 2.6Mb There is a bug in xl97 (fixed in xl2k, IIRC) that allowed worksheet codenames to get too long. I _think_ that newer versions of excel will open...

Macro to save on title sheet
hi again! How would I create a macro That save workbook at title sheet with cursor hidden behind the logo. Thank you in anticipation. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ How about using a macro on open that will take you to the sheet and a cell behine the logo, some thing like this Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("title sheet").Select Range("F2").Select End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! ...

Can't open pdf files in windows mail.
Every time I try to open a PDF file in windows mail it says I don't have a program associated with it to open it. It says to set a default program with it. I have adobe reader associated with it in default programs, so I don't know why it won't open it. What operating system? i.e.: XP/SP3 etc. Windows Mail, or Windows Live Mail? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial Beach, CA "Dutchy" <Dutchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BC3362D-015D-498A-90AD-FE4AD10D0962@microsoft.com... > Every ti...

how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel
how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel macro? by the way,the cipher is known. Thanks in advance, Juwen Check your previous post.. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "juwen" wrote: > > how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel > macro? by the way,the cipher is known. > > Thanks in advance, > Juwen ...

PDF file #3

2 accounts & 2 PST files
Hello everyone I'm using Outlook 2003 and I have 2 accounts for which I would like Outlook to be able to delivers new e-mails in each respective data file I mean for account "A" new mail will be delivered in A.pst and for account "B" in B.pst PS: I would prefers to use only one profile and not two Thanks & Regards You'll need two profiles if you want this setup. Delivery location is set per profile, not per mail account. NATT wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I'm using Outlook 2003 and I have 2 accounts for which I would like > Outlook to be abl...

Archiving doesn't reduce PST file size
(Under W98SE, running O2K SR-1 with SP3 applied.) I really want to reduce the size of my PST file. In Outlook, I created a new personal folders file and named it "My Archive". From my main personal folders file, I then selected certain folders and messages - altogether, 57 MB - which I want to archive. I moved these into the "My Archive" folders file. In Outlook, looking at properties, I see these results after archiving: Main PST file: Total size (Fld + SubFld): 150489K "My Archive" file: Total size (Fld + SubFld): 56397K In Windows explorer, I s...

saving as XML
Howdy All, I used to create tab delimited text file from data in my spreadsheet, but i now need to save it into xml, for example, lets say ive got a sheet with 10 listings, (rows) and each listing has 6 fields (cols) below Name ID Location Date Value Info How can I save this to a standard xml file so that it will work in other applications? Using Excel 2003 File>Save As...>XML Data Providing you have XL as a stand alone product or from Office Pro -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "...

how do I stop saved emails going to word
I use Outlook Express as my default email, I used to have Windows Live Mail but deleted it, when I had that all my saved emails used to open in Windows live for some reason, after I deleted the latter all my saved emails open in Word and I don't want that. could someone please tell me how to open saved emails in O.E., 6 . thank you. I have windows XP,SP3. I.E.7. thank you, Pippa Right click on a saved email, Open with, Choose program, select Outlook Express, check Always use this program. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Pippa" <pippa@hunterli...

Excel File
I had problems in opening the excel file these days by directly hittin enter key. I got rid of it some how from the earlier examples in this forum. Like Excel.exe /unregserver & later excel.exe /regserver Thanks to Excel Tip once again. Now the probs is when i have 2 or more files opened in the workbook. am able to see only one Excel icon in Alt+Tab window. I am unable to view all the excel files when doing alt+tab. I also tried Tools->options->view->and selected show placeholders,bu no use. Any tip on this. Rajkumar; ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Mes...