Save Link Problem

Hi

I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3.

I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a
html file on a server.

When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok.
I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises
after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink
no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not
valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I
emailed the file to a friend and he inserted the same link to the file and it
worked ok on his machine. Now for the really strange part, he sent the file
back to me and when I open it from my email it works fine but when I save it
to anywhere on my hard drive it stops working.

The link also works fine on other office machines but not mine.  Could this
be a problem with Excel itself? or even a Windows problem? or problem with a
setting somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated

John

0
JohnCalder (178)
11/2/2005 8:35:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Could you indicate what the hyperlink looks like before you
save the file and what it looks like after you save the file.

"John Calder" <JohnCalder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3.
>
> I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a
> html file on a server.
>
> When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok.
> I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises
> after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink
> no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not
> valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I
> emailed the file to a friend and he inserted the same link to the file and it
> worked ok on his machine. Now for the really strange part, he sent the file
> back to me and when I open it from my email it works fine but when I save it
> to anywhere on my hard drive it stops working.
>
> The link also works fine on other office machines but not mine.  Could this
> be a problem with Excel itself? or even a Windows problem? or problem with a
> setting somewhere?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated
>
> John

Thanks for your help David

This is what it looks like before I save it.

\\Stlwolsvr01\AMM\18Apps\CSA_Intranet\Data\Logistics\daily_reports\pctnstk.html

And this is what it looks like after I save it.

...\..\..\..\18Apps\CSA_Intranet\Data\Logistics\daily_reports\pctnstk.html

I must point out however that on other machines that this link works on also
looks like the 2nd example.

John

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Could you indicate what the hyperlink looks like before you
> save the file and what it looks like after you save the file.
>

> "John Calder" <JohnCalder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3.
> >
> > I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a
> > html file on a server.
> >
> > When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok.
> > I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises
> > after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink
> > no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not
> > valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I
> > emailed the file to a friend and he inserted the same link to the file and it
> > worked ok on his machine. Now for the really strange part, he sent the file
> > back to me and when I open it from my email it works fine but when I save it
> > to anywhere on my hard drive it stops working.
> >
> > The link also works fine on other office machines but not mine.  Could this
> > be a problem with Excel itself? or even a Windows problem? or problem with a
> > setting somewhere?
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated
> >
> > John

0
JohnCalder (178)
11/2/2005 11:30:02 PM
Take a look at
 Reference to Absolute and Relative Hyperlinks
see replies by Harlan Grove
  http://google.com/groups?threadm=uHCAPOp6BHA.1912@tkmsftngp03
and this one for access hyperlink property
  http://google.com/groups?threadm=OjVRpQQ7BHA.2268@tkmsftngp04

If you used the  HYPERLINK Worksheet Function with the link within
double quotes then Excel could not change it.   Oops your is attached
to a shape not a cell.
---
HTH,

"John Calder" <JohnCalder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38884859-66B3-43B3-8B2F-AD8997AAD560@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help David
>
> This is what it looks like before I save it.
>
> \\Stlwolsvr01\AMM\18Apps\CSA_Intranet\Data\Logistics\daily_reports\pctnstk.html
>
> And this is what it looks like after I save it.
>
> ..\..\..\..\18Apps\CSA_Intranet\Data\Logistics\daily_reports\pctnstk.html
>
> I must point out however that on other machines that this link works on also
> looks like the 2nd example.
>
> John
>

> "David McRitchie" wrote:
>
> > Could you indicate what the hyperlink looks like before you
> > save the file and what it looks like after you save the file.
> >

> > "John Calder" <JohnCalder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > > I run Windows 2000 & Excell 2000 with service pack 3.
> > >
> > > I have an autoshape button that I have added a hyperlink to which opens a
> > > html file on a server.
> > >
> > > When I add the hyperlink and press the autoshape it takes me to the file ok.
> > > I can do this as many times as I like and it works ok. The problem arises
> > > after I save the spreadsheet. As soon as I save the spreadsheet the hyperlink
> > > no longer works. I get the error message "The address of this site is not
> > > valid, Check the address and try again". To add some more mystery to this, I
> > > emailed the file to a friend and he inserted the same link to the file and it
> > > worked ok on his machine. Now for the really strange part, he sent the file
> > > back to me and when I open it from my email it works fine but when I save it
> > > to anywhere on my hard drive it stops working.
> > >
> > > The link also works fine on other office machines but not mine.  Could this
> > > be a problem with Excel itself? or even a Windows problem? or problem with a
> > > setting somewhere?
> > >
> > > Any help would be much appreciated
> > >
> > > John

linked dbf tables have "invalid names" after conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
We're using dbf files to bring data from another application to Access for detailed analysis and reporting. We have recently upgraded from Access 97 to Access 2000. Everything seems to have converted fine except linked dbf tables. The previous linked tables worked fine in Access 97 for several years. When you try and open the table Access 2000 reports that : " is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not to long. Even if we try and relink to the dbf files we get the same error. We have found that if we move the files t...

Tarcing links in a workbook
Hi, I am using a workbook that seems to have some old links in it tha refer to outside workbooks that do not exist anymore and they ar totally irrelevant. Every time when I open my file it asks to ge updated by these two links. I want to locate the cells that contai those links in order to remove them permanently! My file consists of many sheets and cells. I want to know if there is way to determine on what sheet and in what cell the links are situate so that I can take em out! A solution/work around would be very welcome... Thanks in advance! Ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelFo...

Select Case for Linked Data
I want to do a loop that says "if ActiveSheet.Cells(column, I) matches Sheet2.Cells("A1:A50"), select row." How do I do this? ...

A SendObject problem
I have this situation, and I don't know what to do with this. I'm at a point where I can prepare a report and email it, using DoCmd.SendObject. All of that works fine. Now I want to send an order. An order should be composed of some of the values presented in the report and 2 extra data files ( .STL files) as attachements in outlook. At the receiving end, I want to be able to read the values and put them in a table. The 2 corresponding data files will be used by another application. So what I have are 3 objects to send and I can't figure out how to group th...

Excel version problem
Hi, I created an excel spreadsheet in Excel 97 but every time I go to save it, I get the message: "This workbook contains features that are not supported by the file format that you selected. To avoid the possible loss of formatting information, be sure to save a copy of the most recent Microsoft Excel Workbook format." I try saving the file as normal Microsoft Excel (as opposed to Microsoft Excel 5.0 or other formats but I still get the message. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys. ...

Problems with exchange and pop3 accounts.
Hi! I have two accounts, a pop3 account for personal mail, and I logon to my university's exchange server for email. However, the mail from my exchange server keeps getting deleted, and all mail goes to the personal folders inbox. I just cant seem to get my pop3 mail to go to my personal folders inbox, and my exchange server mail to just go to my exchange inbox. I tried changing the mail delivery location, and then what happened was that all my pop3 mail started getting uploaded to my exchange inbox. How do I sort this out? .. you'll need to use rules to move the pop mail...

Upgrade of Outlook causes problem with signatures
Having upgraded Outlook 2003 from Office XP, I find that signatures generated in word are doubled spaced when replying to some messages. Has any one come across this problem & have a resolution? mrr ...

OutlookAddin problem
Hey Outlook 2007 one user here get this error when sending/receiving email: "MBSAddin Error: 91 Object variable or with block variable not set OutlookAddin" This user is using a terminal server, she logg into terminal server and sends/receive email from there.... all other users who have outlook installed locally don't get this error any suggestions on what I should do to solve this is greatly welcome Jeff Jeff <Jeff@not_a_real_email_address> wrote: > Outlook 2007 > > one user here get this error when sending/receiving email: > "MBSAddin > Er...

macro programming problem
I use the regression tool to calculate calibration curves in my laboratory. In earlier versions of excel, I have created macros to update the regression calculation. The older macro would not work in excel 2002 (gives an illegal range error). When I try to recreate the macro in the new excel from scratch (by recording), it fails. When I run the macro, it says it lacks the Y range. I have tried defining the ranges by clicking and dragging with the mouse, and also by typing in the range. Neither worked. I originally sent the regression output to a different sheet, but it didnt like ...

Problem using Vlookup as a function in VBA.
Using xl2000: If anybdy could assist me I would be thankful. I'm trying to use the VLOOKUP function within a Public declared function as such : Public Function color(address As Range) ColorRange = Worksheets("sheet1").Range("range") color = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(address.Value, ColorRange, 2) End Function and the worksheet is set out as such A B C D 1 04-Mar-04 orange lime 2 3 4 01-Mar-04 grey 5 02-Mar-04 black 6 03-Mar-04 red 7 04-Mar-04 orange 8 05-Mar-04 w...

video full-screen problem
I've been watching videos and webcams on my three WinXP computers--two of them using IE7 and one using IE8. I'm having a problem with one of the IE7 computers. Until recently, I was able to toggle full-screen on and off. For the last several days, however, when I click on "Toggle fullscreen" on one of the computers, I get nothing but a blank white screen. The other two computers are working fine. Any idea of what could be wrong? Thank you! Jo-Anne "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:hv4eqo$hln$1@news.eternal-s...

Problem editing Access 2000 db in 2002
We have a db which we converted from 2000 to 2002 and then edited a query. It then shutdown Access and left the .ldb file. Is there a problem editing queries created in earlier versions of Access? I assume you mean that Access shut down abnormally (crashed), which is why it dod not clean up the ldb file as it normally did. Take a look at: Access Quits Unexpectedly When You Run a Query at: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319491 The article explains that Name AutoCorrect can cause this problem. Actually it's just one of many caused by this misfeature: http://members.iin...

Edit Links Error Message
I have a document with charts in it that originally came from another source. When I try to do an "Update Fields" on the entire document (Ctrl-A first, then F9), I get a message that says the linked file is not available and tells me to use the Edit Links command. I click OK, but this message comes up repeatedly for each link in the document, then finally allows me to do the update. Once that is done, however, Word stops working and I have to close the document and start over. I have gone to Edit Links (Microsoft Office button > Prepare > Edit Links to Files) a...

Public folder calendar visibility problems
Exchange 5.5 enviornment in a NT4.0 domain network. Have a couple of admins who are having issues seeing items in calendars within a public folder structure. One day, then can see the calendar and all items in it in one site, but not in another site. Next day, they can see items on the calendars in the site they couldn't see the day before but can now not see items in the calendars they could see the day before. (If that makes any sense) Client is Outlook XP SP-2. Recently upgraded from Outlook 2K. All calendars have default permissions set as "reviewer", though the admins...

Problem with OE since installing Office 2003
Ever since I installed Office 2003, I can no longer send attachments by right clicking on the file and choosing "send." When I do this, it tells me that there is no profile set up in Outlook. However, I don't use Outlook as a mail client--I use Outlook Express. Can anyone help? Thanks, k. Bring up the Internet Options configuration dialog via the control panel or Internet Explorer and go to the Programs tab. Is Outlook Express set as your default mail client? "kozure-okami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:662b01c4827f$071...

Macro absolute to relative tool bar problem
I am trying to make a macro that is relative not absolute. The book says to click on the tool bar for stop recording, but I cannot find any tool bar - only a choice to stop recording. Thanks for your help. -- Stuart Uram Please Reply to: uram@alum.mit.edu Stuart That little tool bar that you click on to stop recording actually has 2 buttons on it. The button on the right, that doesn't look like a button, is the relative/absolute button. When you click on it such that it appears to move into the screen, that is the relative position. Click on it again and it appears to move o...

Dynamics 4.0 error
By accident, one of our network admins removed the crm server from Active Directory. We got back onto the machine and it thought it was still part of the domain. We unjoined and then rejoined the domain. Now when any user attempts to log in, an error message appears stating: Business Management Error: The user ID associated with the current record is not valid. Please help thanks On Oct 29, 2:54=A0pm, Irshard <Irsh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > By accident, one of our network admins removed the crm server from Active > Directory. =A0We got back onto the machine an...

w2k8 R2 wbadmin recovery files with empty spaces problem
I cannot use "wbadmin start recovery" to specify files/folders containing empty spaces in -items or -recoverytarget parameter. I tried both single and double quote surrounding the path but doesn't work. Using old DOS 8.3 convention works but I'm trying to avoid the syntax. Anyone has clue how to support empty space in file/folder path? Thanks -- Fred ...

Gifs and Links
Using Outlook as my mail prog. Office 2003 version. When I insert Gifs into my mail, the Gif is not moving as I would expect.Why is this ? Is there something I should change in the settings? Also when I copy links and paste them into a mail, they are black instead of blue and do not take you to a site. Why? Thanks for your help. Gifs only move when received and not when composing. Text based links get converted when you press Enter or a Space right after you pasted it. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create a...

Client permissions problem w/ Public Folders
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C3DAB9.980846B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable My environment: Exchange 5.5 SP4 on W2K Server w/ WinXP/2000 on all = client machines. We're having difficulty editing the permissions on all public folder = resources since removing a sister site. The physical branch office = (Exchange site) was shut down/closed and we've removed the server and = rebuilt it. Since that time we receive experience the following = symptom: When you view any kin...

Excel asking for save with no changes
OK, I'll try this again. I've searched the fora, and can't find thes specific issues addressed, so any help is greatly appreciated. I have an intranet website for distribution of documents to coworkers It works just fine for .pdf's, word and html files, but I've run into snag with some Excel files. I'm using direct links to the files, so the open up in the web browser. All files are protected at the Sheet an Workbook levels. Some files open and close (via the "Back" button) jus fine. Others, however, produce the following popup upon exit: This document ha...

PPT 2010 embed or link video
I am concerned about embedding versus linking large video files (50mb +). One, I'm concerned about corruption due to file size. From a strictly performance perspective - are there any advantages to one or the other? Also, in the 2010 beta, on the insert video dialog, there is an "insert" option and "link" option. But when you select link, it still shows insert, on the dropdown list. I think this is a bug - because the files apparently are linked. Also, as a suggestion if MS is listening in, there should be an icon that shows whether a video is link...

set axis min and max by macro problem
I have a macro to automate this process which is not working. I am sure it is very simple and anyone with some visual basic knowledge should see the problem immediately. Many thanks in advance. The file is here: www.menudujour.co.nz/MenuEngineering.xls Gavin Gavin - I include some suggestions and code on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Gavin wrote: > I have a macro to automate this process which is no...

Index & Match Problem
Hello All, Using Excel XP I have a worksheet that has 30 days in B3:AE3,(Sep 1, Sep 2, etc...) each shows the average wind direction for that certain day. I want to find the wind direction that was used the most during that period. Before I had the worksheet that had the days in B3:B34 and had a formula as follows: {=INDEX(B4:B34,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(B4:B34,B4:B34)),COUNTIF(B4:B34,B4:B34),0),1)} to find the maximum direction for the 30 day period and it worked without a problem. In the selection of B3:AE3, I am using the formula: {=INDEX(B3:AE3,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(B3:AE3,B3:AE3)),COUNTIF(B3:...

Linking to Files in other Folders using Excel VBA
Hi, I want to create a macro in a workbook that automatically links to other worksheets. For instance, if i run the following code below, cell E12 will automatically link to cell E12 in sheet "Accounting Data" of file "6460.xls" in folder "C:\My Documents\Accounts\ Range("E12").FormulaR1C1 = "='C:\My Documents\Accounts\[6460.xls]Accounting Data'!RC" I could repeat this code over and over again in reference to other cell ranges, but I'd like to clean it up. I've attempted to do so, with the following code: '-----------------...