Save As DBF

Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
since 2007 can not make them?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Access can make the DBF files, you just end up two stepping it.

Niteschool wrote:

> Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> since 2007 can not make them?

0
birelan (531)
5/14/2008 4:40:32 PM
Niteschool wrote:
> Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> since 2007 can not make them?

Thanks for the warning.  This is an exclusion that I wouldn't have known
was missing until I *really* needed it.

Phil
--
Keeping the bookplate alive
http://bookplatemuseum.com

"Niteschool" wrote:

> Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> since 2007 can not make them?

XLSX2DBF is an Excel 2007 add-in that helps convert and/or save a native DBF
file that was edited with Excel 2007.

Two common scenarios are supported:

A) Open a native DBF file in Excel 2007 – Make changes – Save as a native
DBF file with the changes.

B) Open/create an Excel file that looks like a database
(headers/columns/rows) – Save as a native DBF file.

http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/

Gyula
0
thexlwiz (1)
7/1/2009 7:01:01 PM
Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that I released a new version of the add-
in that enables saving a DBF file in Excel 2007.

New features:

1. Now you can add/insert new fields, create calculated fields in
addition to adding new records or editing existing records in your
native DBF file!

2. If you start with an Excel file the software now have enhanced
capabilities to determine the field types (better than Microsoft's own
in earlier Excel versions).

3. The add-in checks DBase field naming conventions and also
identifies duplicate fields. All problem field names are visually
identified with a cell comment!

4. If you start out with a brand new file and forget to save it, the
add-in will ask before the conversion.

5. Large files are supported. I edited files over 500,000 records with
no problem.

See the post at http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/.

Gyula

"thexlwiz" wrote:

> "Niteschool" wrote:
>
> > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> > quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> > since 2007 can not make them?
>
> XLSX2DBF is an Excel 2007 add-in that helps convert and/or save a native DBF
> file that was edited with Excel 2007.
>
> Two common scenarios are supported:
>
> A) Open a native DBF file in Excel 2007 – Make changes – Save as a native
> DBF file with the changes.
>
> B) Open/create an Excel file that looks like a database
> (headers/columns/rows) – Save as a native DBF file.
>
> http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/
>
> Gyula
0
Gyula (2)
9/5/2009 2:02:05 AM
> > quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> > since 2007 can not make them?

They use OpenOffice.org Calc
0
Dino (11)
9/23/2009 7:16:01 PM
Dear Fellow DBF Users,

The latest upgrade of the SaveDBF Excel 2007 add-in (used to be called
XLSX2DBF) can be tried at thexlwiz.blogspot.com.

The changes include fixes related to minor bugs in Microsoft's OLEDB engine
and some improved field type identification for users who start out with an
Excel file.

Future plans:

I plan one more upgrade in Jan/Feb 2010. This will be a major upgrade with
lots of planned improvements as listed below:

- Add a Preference window where users can set to:

    Overwrite the original DBF file (and create a date-stamped backup file
in the same folder)
    Mimic Microsoft's Excel 2003 behaviour (i.e. automatically replace
spaces in field names with an underscore, accept field names longer than 10
characters)

- Add a Data Conversion window where the user can change the field type and
size from what the add-in determined from the data. This is useful for people
who start with an Excel file with data that do not necessarily reflect the
maximum field size for a character field, for example. The add-in will guess
the maximum size from the data, but the user can over-ride it in the new
window. Or you can simply click OK and the add-in will behave exactly as it
does now.

- Batch processing capabilities (i.e. calling the macro from a third party
program (e.g. Python or Perl or C++ etc) and mass-process many files without
user interaction.

- Improved speed for very large DBF files and a progress bar with % complete
reported.

If you have other improvement ideas this is the time to email them to me at
gygulyas - a t - yahoo - do t - ca!

Thank you very much for your continued support!

Long live the DBF!

Gyula
0
Gyula (2)
11/20/2009 1:51:01 AM
Download link doesn't work !!!!!!!

"Gyula" wrote:

> Dear Fellow DBF Users,
>
> The latest upgrade of the SaveDBF Excel 2007 add-in (used to be called
> XLSX2DBF) can be tried at thexlwiz.blogspot.com.
>
> The changes include fixes related to minor bugs in Microsoft's OLEDB engine
> and some improved field type identification for users who start out with an
> Excel file.
>
> Future plans:
>
> I plan one more upgrade in Jan/Feb 2010. This will be a major upgrade with
> lots of planned improvements as listed below:
>
> - Add a Preference window where users can set to:
>
>     Overwrite the original DBF file (and create a date-stamped backup file
> in the same folder)
>     Mimic Microsoft's Excel 2003 behaviour (i.e. automatically replace
> spaces in field names with an underscore, accept field names longer than 10
> characters)
>
> - Add a Data Conversion window where the user can change the field type and
> size from what the add-in determined from the data. This is useful for people
> who start with an Excel file with data that do not necessarily reflect the
> maximum field size for a character field, for example. The add-in will guess
> the maximum size from the data, but the user can over-ride it in the new
> window. Or you can simply click OK and the add-in will behave exactly as it
> does now.
>
> - Batch processing capabilities (i.e. calling the macro from a third party
> program (e.g. Python or Perl or C++ etc) and mass-process many files without
> user interaction.
>
> - Improved speed for very large DBF files and a progress bar with % complete
> reported.
>
> If you have other improvement ideas this is the time to email them to me at
> gygulyas - a t - yahoo - do t - ca!
>
> Thank you very much for your continued support!
>
> Long live the DBF!
>
> Gyula
0
NecdetKT (1)
1/12/2010 2:24:02 PM
Try it now; http://www.thexlwiz.blogspot.com/
It works for me.
HTH
John
"Necdet KT" <NecdetKT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Download link doesn't work !!!!!!!
>

> "Gyula" wrote:
>
>> Dear Fellow DBF Users,
>>
>> The latest upgrade of the SaveDBF Excel 2007 add-in (used to be called
>> XLSX2DBF) can be tried at thexlwiz.blogspot.com.
>>
>> The changes include fixes related to minor bugs in Microsoft's OLEDB engine
>> and some improved field type identification for users who start out with an
>> Excel file.
>>
>> Future plans:
>>
>> I plan one more upgrade in Jan/Feb 2010. This will be a major upgrade with
>> lots of planned improvements as listed below:
>>
>> - Add a Preference window where users can set to:
>>
>>     Overwrite the original DBF file (and create a date-stamped backup file
>> in the same folder)
>>     Mimic Microsoft's Excel 2003 behaviour (i.e. automatically replace
>> spaces in field names with an underscore, accept field names longer than 10
>> characters)
>>
>> - Add a Data Conversion window where the user can change the field type and
>> size from what the add-in determined from the data. This is useful for people
>> who start with an Excel file with data that do not necessarily reflect the
>> maximum field size for a character field, for example. The add-in will guess
>> the maximum size from the data, but the user can over-ride it in the new
>> window. Or you can simply click OK and the add-in will behave exactly as it
>> does now.
>>
>> - Batch processing capabilities (i.e. calling the macro from a third party
>> program (e.g. Python or Perl or C++ etc) and mass-process many files without
>> user interaction.
>>
>> - Improved speed for very large DBF files and a progress bar with % complete
>> reported.
>>
>> If you have other improvement ideas this is the time to email them to me at
>> gygulyas - a t - yahoo - do t - ca!
>>
>> Thank you very much for your continued support!
>>
>> Long live the DBF!
>>
>> Gyula

0
johnd1 (109)
1/12/2010 4:24:55 PM
roblem:  Microsoft Office 2007 Excel does not allow tables to be saved as
..dbf format

Article ID:	34102
Bug Id:	N/A
Software:	 ArcGIS - ArcEditor 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 9.2, 9.3,
9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1
Platforms:	 Windows 2003Server, Vista
Description
When working with a table in Microsoft Excel 2007, there is no option to
save the table in .dbf (dBASE) format as in previous versions.

Cause
This is by design with Microsoft Office 2007.

Solution or Workaround
Export an Excel table to .dbf format in ArcGIS.

In Excel 2007, save the table as, 'Excel 97-2003 Workbook' (.xls format).
Navigate to the .xls table location through ArcCatalog, and expand the file
to view the worksheets.
Right-click on the worksheet representing the table. Select Export > To
dBase (single).

if you can't read this properly then go to the following link it tells u
step by step what to do from ESRI

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=34102

"Niteschool" wrote:

> Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> since 2007 can not make them?
0
star (8)
1/28/2010 3:10:01 PM

"esri star" wrote:

> roblem:  Microsoft Office 2007 Excel does not allow tables to be saved as
> .dbf format
>
> Article ID:	34102
> Bug Id:	N/A
> Software:	 ArcGIS - ArcEditor 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 9.2, 9.3,
> 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1
> Platforms:	 Windows 2003Server, Vista
> Description
> When working with a table in Microsoft Excel 2007, there is no option to
> save the table in .dbf (dBASE) format as in previous versions.
>
> Cause
> This is by design with Microsoft Office 2007.
>
> Solution or Workaround
> Export an Excel table to .dbf format in ArcGIS.
>
> In Excel 2007, save the table as, 'Excel 97-2003 Workbook' (.xls format).
> Navigate to the .xls table location through ArcCatalog, and expand the file
> to view the worksheets.
> Right-click on the worksheet representing the table. Select Export > To
> dBase (single).
>
> if you can't read this properly then go to the following link it tells u
> step by step what to do from ESRI
>
> http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=34102
>
> "Niteschool" wrote:
>
> > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff use this
> > quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files
> > since 2007 can not make them?

Has anyone asked the obvious question of ""WHY MiCROSOFT TOOK FUNCTIONALITY
OUT OF OFFICE!!""
GIS user can look at other ways like excel saving to database interface
instead of direct saving to dbf.

if you are the developer finding a feature rarely used and there is another
better way to replace the feature, would you bother to spend tons of time
and resource on keeping the feature working on next newer release?

"done" <done@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "esri star" wrote:
>
> > roblem:  Microsoft Office 2007 Excel does not allow tables to be saved
as
> > .dbf format
> >
> > Article ID: 34102
> > Bug Id: N/A
> > Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 9.2, 9.3,
> > 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1
> > Platforms: Windows 2003Server, Vista
> > Description
> > When working with a table in Microsoft Excel 2007, there is no option to
> > save the table in .dbf (dBASE) format as in previous versions.
> >
> > Cause
> > This is by design with Microsoft Office 2007.
> >
> > Solution or Workaround
> > Export an Excel table to .dbf format in ArcGIS.
> >
> > In Excel 2007, save the table as, 'Excel 97-2003 Workbook' (.xls
format).
> > Navigate to the .xls table location through ArcCatalog, and expand the
file
> > to view the worksheets.
> > Right-click on the worksheet representing the table. Select Export > To
> > dBase (single).
> >
> > if you can't read this properly then go to the following link it tells u
> > step by step what to do from ESRI

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=34102

> > "Niteschool" wrote:
> >
> > > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007.  My GIS staff
use this
> > > quite extensively.  What are other GIS users using to create the DBF
files
> > > since 2007 can not make them?
>
> Has anyone asked the obvious question of ""WHY MiCROSOFT TOOK
FUNCTIONALITY
> OUT OF OFFICE!!""

0
GS

convert saved chart in sheet to object
I have saved a chart in sheet. Is it possible to change it to object. The reason to do this is that I want to copy the cart to ppt with high quality. Is there any way for good transfer of sheet-saved chart from Excel to ppt? -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan Hi, Have a read on Jon Peltier's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html Cheers Andy Khoshravan wrote: > I have saved a chart in sheet. Is it possible to change it to object. > The reason to do this is that I want to copy the cart to ppt with high > quality. Is there any way for good transfer...

100% reinstall of Vista Ultimate and Office Pro 2007-Save before and Restore after Outlook folders and settings
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C904ED.B0216A70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm preparing for a 100% fresh re-install of Vista Ultimate and MS = Office Pro 2007. Having zero faith in the FAST and other such offerings = from MS, I desire to save my MS Outlook settings and folders and then = restore them after the total reinstall operation. If I've posted in the wrong newsgroup, please inform me. Thanks, Karl ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C904ED.B0216A70 Content-Type:...

restore excel file to earlier saved
hi i accidently deleted data in excel never notice my mistake untill after i save doc. can i restore to a earlier save in the day thanks ...

Can Save As PDF enable comments?
When I use the Save As... | PDF option, is there a way that I can enable comments and/or markup so that the person I sent it to can add annotations? If the recipient has the full version of Acrobat, he/she can annotate the PDF using that. Otherwise consider PDF as a graphic. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> &...

Lost many worksheets saved in a workbook- how can I retrieve?
I kept inserting sheets into a workbook. Now only a few of the sheets are visible, and I need the rest- how can I get them back? I wasn't prompted that there was a limit... ...

Can't 'Save As' Workbook due to 'Protected Cell' error
When I try to 'Save As' a workbook that I e-mailed to our MIS guy t post on our server, everyone gets a 'The cell or chart you are tryin to change is protected and therefore read only' error. I then have t click the 'OK' 11 times before it allows the 'Save As'. My earlie versions of the workbook do not get this error. Thanks for your help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step...

Hanging on Send or Save
I suddenly find myself unable to send or save emails in Outlook 2003. When I hit either send or save, I get the status bar across the bottom left of the screen. Progress halts about a third of the way through the bar and it takes a good 5 minutes to get that far. In the meantime I can't return to my inbox or otherwise navigate Outlook. I've tried to work offline to no avail. I'm suspicious of some problem between Outlook and Word, i which the application is set to format my email. Or maybe the size of my Outlook file......At a loss....any suggestions would be appreciated. -Coul...

Saving workbook from VB
How can I effectively do a "save" or "save as" of a workbood from VB. I assume there are methods that support this. Thanks. Hi, Do you mean, VBA? Visual Basic is NOT the same as Visual Basic for Applications. VB <> VBA. If you are talking the programming language in which Excel has and is able to utilize, you're talking VBA. VB is a stand alone program which is a little more versatile than VBA. A google search will yield many results. But if you are asking about VBA, then try the following ... Sub testingSave() Thisworkbook.Save End sub or.. ...

Save greyed out in Excel 2003
I cannot save or cut and paste in Excel 2003. It works in Word and it works on my computer under a different user name but it is greyed out for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and the license is activated. Please help if you can. Thank You ...

Saving Charts
I make a few charts over some statistics and was wondering if there is any way for me to save the charts as an image so I can put on a website. Hi lisa, Here is a collection of information on the subject. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2gif.htm I also have an addin to make exporting charts and pictures easier. http://www.andypope.info/vba/gex.htm Cheers Andy lisa wrote: > I make a few charts over some statistics and was wondering if there is any way for me to save the charts as an image so I can put on a website. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Saving Password #2
I'm using Outlook Express for two POP 3 accounts, but I can't get either account to "Remember Password"--have gone into properties, checked the remember box and hit apply, but it disappears and I must enter passwords for receive and send on both accounts. I'm running XP with Norton Internet Security. Don't have this problem with laptop running same programs. Frustrating. The following article may help... Your password is not retained in Outlook 2002 and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836664 A good website for information on OE is: http:...

Spending and Savings budget
Hello, Do you Money users find the new savings and spending budget useful? is it better than the previous one, or worse? easier or more difficult? more accurate or less? during the beta testing, it was, not surprisingly, the matter of a very major discussion, so I'm curious if the end users see it as improvement over the Advanced budget. For me personally, the main practical use of the budget is not just enjoing the verdict "how am I doing", but the accurate answer to the question "can we afford this, and when" (vacation, major purchase, etc.). So far, the budg...

Loosing My Pivot Tables during SAVE AS
Hey - I'm doing some Save As stuff with a file that has a pivot table (using 2003). The pivot table, which is on one worksheet, is using data from a query that is on another worksheet in the file. I take the original file and "save as" the new file. Then, the next time I bring up the "saved as" file, I get a can't open error, the file then opens and I get a message that say's the pivot table has been eliminated, and as it says, thought the formatting is as if it was still there, I cannot refresh the pivot table, because it really is "gone." Any ideas...

Item not saved in Sent Items
I am using Outlook 2000. I just sent an email, I then went to sent items and it wasn't there. I have checked drafts and the outbox and it isn't there either. I have checked that the sent items folder is sorted by date so it should be easy to find the item I sent. Can anyone explain why my mail isn't appearing in the sent items folder? I believe there is option to have or not have items in your emails saved in your sent folder. Check under Tools - Options - Email Options. Check for box that asks whether or not you want emails saved in the sent folder. Let us know if this d...

print powerpoint file from browser using grayscale option to save
People in our office print powerpoint(.ppt and pptx files) documents from their browsers(Internet Explorer 7/8) to a Toshiba estudio 450 series. When they do it from a browser, they CANNOT see the grayscale option they can choose which can ensure the documents are printed in black and white(thereby saving printer ink). They can see the option if they save the powerpoint document to their local machine and try printing it from there. Is there a way, they can choose the grayscale option to print while printing the document from the browser window? I understand, there is a way the regi...

Calling OnChange on OnSave is not saving data
Hi, I have zipcode field on screen. I have code written on OnChange which populates the city, state etc. fields (by making callout) as per the entered zipcode. The problem is when I change the zipcode and without tabout if I hit on 'Save' for a form, only new zipcode gets saved but rest information remains old. I am trying to call FireOnChange() for zipcode on OnSave of the form. But its not working either. Calling crmForm.all.zipcode.OnChange() on form OnSave gives me error but works fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Monika. Hi Monica, I think you need to set this for...

Auto Save Incoming Email Address/Contact Info In Outlook Contacts
When I receive an email from somebody who is not in my contacts I'd like Outlook 2003 to automaticly open a contacts window to allow me to enter the contact info for this new client. Is this possible? there are 3rd party utilities that will add the person, otherwise you'll need to learn vba and write something. See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.htm#data -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook...

Document not saved #7
I'm looking for an answer, but I was wondering if this message was ever solved? I have one user with Windows XP and Office 97. He'll be working away on some Excel sheet which is usually big (not huge) and with macros. He'll go to save, and gets the message "Document not saved" Nothing else, just that message. If he tries doing a Save As to either a different name or location (network or local), it does the same thing; it's just faster with the message on the local drive. He has to copy sheet by sheet to another workbook and save that one. Like I say, I've lo...

Added a field but it doesn't save
I added a field on our form. It looks like it was okay but every time I put a value/data in, the value/data isn't saved. Am I doing something wrong? Did I add the field incorrectlY? Thanks You need to add the field to your table then in the control source of the text box select the field name that you entered in the table. Example: So you want to add a field to the form called "Cost" Go to your main table in design view and enter Cost and select Currency from the Combo Box. Open your form in design view and from the Field List in your toolbar select the word Cost and dr...

Saving data to a webpage
Dear All, I have a worksheet and various data is written to this sheet about 300 times using a series of macros i need to save each of the sheets(300 ish) as webpages Cell J4 is the filename to which i need the file saves as Can anyone please help me Many many thanks in advance Steve Hi Steve, What part do you need help with. Does this page help, you would need to modify or add a front end to loop through sheets or whatever you doing but the macro will create an HTML page for very simple tables, with some cell merging, one color font and one background color for cell. The a...

Saving excel to network folder
The file "filename.xls" may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do save a copy or overwrite changes This is the error message we are receiving in Excel 2002 only. We are saving the file on our network shared folder (network is NT4 server) we also have MAC volume services on this folder because it is also seen on the MAC. Any suggestions. We are not changing the file by another user we can change the file 1 minute after first saving it and it still pops up with the message HELP! ...

Error when saving an email that you just selected to Track in CRM
System Details: CRM 3.0 Windows 2000 Exchange 2003 SQL 2000 Order of events; 1. Email to outlook client from an external email address. 2. User selects "Tracked in CRM". 3. User selects "Viewed in CRM". 4. If the email address is not recognized user 'Add contact record for unknown email address'. 5. User selects "Save and Close". 6. The text of the error is as follows: "This activity is closed. After the record is saved, you cannot change business required fields. Do you want to continue?" 7. User selects "OK" 8. The following err...

How to save a contact in rich text format ?
Hi, could anyone tell me how to save all the data of a contact ? In what context? If you mean as a file, use the .msg format. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "pj" <phil6987@voila.fr> wrote in message news:41596eda$0$21180$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr... > Hi, could anyone tell me how to save all the data of a contact ? > > ...

Forgot to save
I forgot to save my file and I made numerous changes to it. Is it recoverable in a temp file somewhere? ...

Opening XML
Can someone please tell me why, if I open an XML file in Excel 2007 and then try to save it as an Excel file, without doing anything else, rather than using the first part of the XML filename & changing the extension, Excel insists on trying to save it as Book2.xls? Is there a way to stop this and make it do the sensible thing? Thanks, Michael ...