Running Totals Problem

Hi, I=92m having a problem with running totals.  I have several
spreadsheets with thousands of rows that are broken into groups.  I
have to create running totals for each group in the spreadsheet.  The
data is set up as follows, and the running totals formula should be in
column C.

Column A			Column B		Column C
Apples			1			1
Apples			5			6
Apples			3			9

Oranges			6			6
Oranges			1			7

Pears			2			2
Pears			3			5
Pears			5			10

Plums			8			8

Peaches			3			3
Peaches			2			5

The only way I know of to do this would be to use something like:

=3DSUM($B$2:B2)

and copy it down for each group.  The problem is that because of the
absolute reference, I have to manually change it for the first cell in
each group before I can copy it down to the other cells in that same
group.  This would be all right for a few rows, but there are
thousands.

Is there any kind of formula that would do this that I could just type
once and copy all the way down the column?  I=92ve tried using various
formulas using the INDIRECT, OFFSET, and ADDRESS functions, but so far
I haven=92t had any success.  Maybe I'm not even on the right track with
this.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?  Thank you in advance for any
information.
0
fjghny (11)
9/16/2011 10:14:22 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi, I just wanted to clarify about my data above since it looked like
it was aligned before I sent it but after posting it seems to have
gone askew.  Anyway, Column A is the name of the item, Column B is the
data I want to use for the running totals, and Column C is where I
want the formulas for the running totals to go.  Sorry for any
confusion.
0
fjghny (11)
9/16/2011 10:35:08 AM
Hi FJ,

Am Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:14:22 -0700 (PDT) schrieb F J:

> Hi, I?m having a problem with running totals.  I have several
> spreadsheets with thousands of rows that are broken into groups.  I
> have to create running totals for each group in the spreadsheet.  The
> data is set up as follows, and the running totals formula should be in
> column C.

try:
=IF(A1="","",SUMIF($A$1:A1,A1,$B$1:B1))

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

On Sep 16, 6:37=A0am, Claus Busch <claus_bu...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi FJ,
>
> Am Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:14:22 -0700 (PDT) schrieb F J:
>
> > Hi, I?m having a problem with running totals. =A0I have several
> > spreadsheets with thousands of rows that are broken into groups. =A0I
> > have to create running totals for each group in the spreadsheet. =A0The
> > data is set up as follows, and the running totals formula should be in
> > column C.
>
> try:
> =3DIF(A1=3D"","",SUMIF($A$1:A1,A1,$B$1:B1))
>
> Regards
> Claus Busch
> --
> Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
> Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

0
fjghny (11)

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Problem with CFTPConnection

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Running Money 2003 in Vista

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

Money 04 runs very slow
file size is 17,480 kb, about 5 years data. Machine is a P4 2.2 GHz, 512 mb ram. Money runs very slow, processing downloaded statements, switching screens, etc. I switched from Quicken about a year ago. That didn't run nearly this slow. Any ideas? Will trimming the file size help at all or much? Thanks Ideas? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=4. Trimming? Most people haven't had great luck trying this through means like File|Archive--which, by the way, I'd discourage for any number of reasons. "Tom Orlando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Run time error 5 : HQClient

High Memory Usage after IS Maintenance Runs
I have an Exchange 5.5 server whose priv.edb file is about 2GBs. During normal usage the store.exe file is use about 70MBs of RAM. When the IS Maintenance runs at night the RAM usage shoots to 800MBS and does not come down after IS Maintenance is done. I have to restart the Information Store service to restore proper system operation. How do I fix this issue? Why do you think that proper operation is less than 800MB of RAM? By default, Exchange should take all of the system memory available and not 70MB (note that it should give it back when asked). That's normal behavior vs. w...

how to run onhand value report
I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:36:01 -0800, junebugg <junebugg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get the message enter parameter when entering the zoom feature You'll have to give us some more context than that, junebugg. What's the "onhand value report"? What's the "zoom feature"? You can see your database; we cannot! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Excel List Sorting Problem (Descending)

Printing problem in booklet format

problem opening up program/file

Money deluxe 2007 password problem
When I update my bank account transactions I get a message saying that my account was not updated because my password is incorrect. I then go into account info and have to update my password. I save the update, but then it happens again sporadically when I open Money at later times. Is there a way to fix this glitch? ...

printing problems with memorized reports
We have recently been running into printing problems with our memorized reports. We will print preview a report and it will look fine on screen, then we will send to the printer, and the report print extremely small in the corner of the page. However if we go back in and re-print the report then it will print normal size on the page. We are not making any settings changes at all, and when it does this appears to just be at random. We are printing to an HP laserjet 4000 series printer that is on our network. We've used RMS with the same configuration for approx. 5 years now and ...

Reports and sub-reports problems
Dear Sirs,I have a report with 4 sub-reports.How can it be that 2 sub-reports are showing the data triple.Can someone help?ThanksKlaus I just realized. It's not due to being a subreport - it's already showing on the normal report triple data. It was not before and I did not change anything. I hope that someone can help me.Thanks Klaus"Amateur" wrote:> Dear Sirs,> I have a report with 4 sub-reports.> How can it be that 2 sub-reports are showing the data triple.> Can someone help?> Thanks> Klaus...

How to run ajax implemented .Net 3.5 to an old version 2.0
Hi, I have developed a Web Application in .Net 2008 and implemented <asp:UpdatePanel /> in it. But now I am trying to build it in .Net Version 2.0. But it gives an error -- "Error 1 Unknown server tag 'asp:UpdatePanel' ". I have downloaded earlier version of AjaxControlToolKit, but it does not work. What I have to do to build this code in version 2.0 Thanks and Regard Dg The UpdatePanel is not part of 2.0 or the Ajax Toolkit. This is an additional "Ajax extension for 2.0" download... Also as 3.5 is just 2.0 plus additional stuff, I wo...

connection problems
a popup saying internet explorer cannot diaplay webpage and it is a connection problem -- eummer2010 how does your problem/question pertain to windows update? terri wrote: > a popup saying internet explorer cannot diaplay webpage and it is a > connection problem Hello Terry, Would be nice if you could tell us more information, like what OS you're using, Service Pack, what other security software are you running, if any? etc. IE6 ? IE7 ? IE8 ? Repoяt problems and check for solutions automatically <http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/...

There is a problem with your printer settings.
There is a problem with your printer settings. Your printer has given Publisher an invalid value, and the printer could not be correctly initialized. Check your printer settings in the Windows control panel." 1. I only have one network printer 2. The network printer is not the default printer 3. I have deleted the printer, rebooted and reinstalled the latest printer drivers. 4. The printer name is less than 8 characters long. ... any idea what the problem is??? -- kirks What version Publisher? Do you have the service packs? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylan...