running excel in background

I'd like to run a program that writes values from one
cell to another with a VBA program that is triggered by
the clock. I've completed this part but, since I use
active cells, you can't run another workbook without the
clock activating the cell in the active worksheet. It
needs to run in the background all day long. - ideas?
will it run in the background if I don't activate cells?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try launching another instance of Excel.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Don" <thedonallen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to run a program that writes values from one
> cell to another with a VBA program that is triggered by
> the clock. I've completed this part but, since I use
> active cells, you can't run another workbook without the
> clock activating the cell in the active worksheet. It
> needs to run in the background all day long. - ideas?
> will it run in the background if I don't activate cells?

0
nowhere8060 (363)
10/15/2003 2:58:31 AM
I have a similar problem:
I need to run Excel macro while working on something else. The macr
execution stops if Excel is not activated, which a second instance o
Excel doesn't solve.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Macro execution should continue while Excel doesn't have focus.  It doesn't
hurt to put DoEvents somewhere in the loop.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"alex22 >" <<alex22.18bdbw@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a similar problem:
> I need to run Excel macro while working on something else. The macro
> execution stops if Excel is not activated, which a second instance of
> Excel doesn't solve.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks!
>

> ---

nowhere1083 (630)

Importing to Excel from ASCII
I'm trying to export to excel from an SQL based spreadsheet. I believe it's ASCII CRLF. Sometimes when I open it as is, it will bring up the Text Import Wizard, but then others it does not. And of course it all gets jammed into one cell so I can't do anything with it. Please Help!! Thnx, Greg Currie If a text file has the CSV extension Excel will parse it automatically (looking for commas as the delimiters). Otherwise Excel will open the TIW from which you can parse the file by specifying the delimiters, etc. If a file is not parsed for any reason (like it doesn't ...

excel charts #14
i have a chart set up to chart data calculated from a formula, if no data is entered into the formula the chart plots that perticlar date as zero. How do set it up so nothing is plotted unless a value has been input? try this configure the formual so that blanks are enterd as #N/A "matsuda" <matsuda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16E56FCB-FCE0-4618-8CB0-DC74B1A53D6B@microsoft.com... > i have a chart set up to chart data calculated from a formula, if no data is > entered into the formula the chart plots that perticlar date as zero. How do > set...

Excel VBA
Hi All, I want to be able to use a msgbox that asks a person what date it is? When the person enters say 19/08/04 and presses ok, another spreadshee willl now have this date entered. What im trying to do is in the end is be able to write the date in an sleect a task. So each time i do a task i can say what day and how man times. Any help would be great Im novice at best.: -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try something like the following: Sub foo() Dim res_value Dim target_wks As Worksheet Set target_wks = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Tabelle2") Do res_value...

Excel cell problem #2
I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance. -- Thanks Steve Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet? Try data|filter|show all (to see everything) then try it out. Steve wrote: > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for so...

Can anyone tell me how to do a mail merge from Excel?
I have loaded 388 entries and now cannot figure out how to print to labels. Some have told me I had to copy and export from Word, but I don't understand how to do that. Help! BJS, If you Google "Mail Merge from Excel to Word" you will get lots of sites that will give you a step by step with screen captures. huber57 "BJS" wrote: > I have loaded 388 entries and now cannot figure out how to print to labels. > Some have told me I had to copy and export from Word, but I don't understand > how to do that. Help! Saved from a previ...

Inserting Excel Data into Word Columns
Hi, I am fairly new to VBA and Excel/Word and have been trying to automat a sheet we have, I have created the Excel Sheet and unfortunately th Word doc was created sometime ago and cannot be changed. I have searched this forum and found this code: Code ------------------- Sub CreateNewWordDoc() ' to test this code, paste it into an Excel module ' add a reference to the Word-library ' create a new folder named C:\Foldername or edit the filnames in the code Dim wrdApp As Word.Application Dim wrdDoc As Word.Document Dim i As Integer Set wrdApp = CreateObject(&qu...

Map projection as an Excel chart
Can I download Excel chart based on a map projection? ...

excel edit
Hi all. I'm trying to open an excel sheet in IE. it opens but the edit,view,favorites tabs are greyed out. Only file opens up. User has rights, as we tested this on another machine and it works there. Using the latest IE and updating office to the latest service packs. This machine has adobe acrobat full 6.0 and the others dont. if that makes any diffrence. Maybe you could just have MSIE open the excel file directly in excel. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/?scid...

How do I save an excel spreadsheet in pdf format (Office 2002)
I've done this before, but in a different environment. Not sure if I've forgotten how, or if it's not supported in this version. Thanks It has never been supported although there are add-ins that install printer drivers that will save as PDF primopdf is a free one then adobe acrobat (not the reader) has of course this and Office 12 will have it built in -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Shaundee" <Shaundee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F09C8D8-1F35-491B-8A4C-781E57C35D53@microsoft.com... > I've done this b...

Excel Formulae
how can a hundreds of numbers in a worksheet be adjusted by the same percentage Ray, You can use Paste Special to do this. For example, to increase every number by 15%, enter 1.15 in some empty cell and copy that cell. Then select the cells that you wish to change. Go to the Edit menu, choose Paste Special, and there choose the Multiply option. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Ray G" <ray_garthwaite@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1ca701c38855$de4fdf40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > how can a hundreds of numbers in a w...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program? I went to the Microsoft site, and it states that Works Suite 2004 qualifies for Excel 2003 upgrade eligibility, but I am not really sure what that means. Thanks. Steve ...

Opening .xls file "outside" Excel not showing
Hi all. This is kind of weard, but here it goes: when I open workbook from Excel (file -> open) it works just fine, but... When I'm trying to open the same workbook via "link", for example double clicking the file from windows explorer -> Excel opens, but the file is not visible. And when I choose: view -> full screen -> it comes visible. Do you have any idea what is wrong? System is Win XP pro and Office XP. This happens to all .xls files... TIA Regards, Alfred Hi Alfred, Try the following steps: 1. Exit Excel 2. From Start, Run. Enter the command: "excel...

Easy access-button to Access-database in Excel
Hello, we have made an excel-sheet which is connected to an access-database with the add-on template-guide (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E01EA3D8-094D-4ED1-88DA-F4B8B2AD28BD). It is working fine but we would like there to be a button which is linked to the access-database connected with this sheet or at least a cell which has the path to the file. Does anybody know if this is possible? Kind regards, Chris You can use the Macro Recorder to record a macro while going through the steps manually to access the database. Then, create a drawing obj...

run time error -2147352567
Help! I keep getting run time error -2147352567 "The data has been changed" on my form. The error is generated when I click on a button the opens up a report for me. Here is the VBA. (Submitting just tells if strRQD is "NotMet") Private Sub Command53_Click() 'Print Preview Call Submitting If strRQD = "NotMet" Then strMessage = strMessage + Chr(13) + strDetails + Chr(13) + "Would you like to print these issues on the report?" Select Case MsgBox(strMessage, vbYesNoCancel) Case 6 'Yes Me.IssuesComments = strDetail...

Excell 2007 Dates and combining 2 cells
I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of mm/dd/yy Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will display a 5 digit number. Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1 cell being the word date- and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number. Example Date-16425. What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined cells (Date- 03/...

transfer an excel work sheet to Paint #3
hello, i am writing a computer assignment for university. So we are asked to give anb instruction to how to use the excel. now i would need to know how to copy parts of the excel work book to word or paint so i can show the users where to go to... it's so urgent.... the submission is in an hour!!! i would appreciate your help guys. see ya ...

Want to buy just EXCEL 2003 not the entire microsoft office suite
Hello, > > I live in Toronto, Canada and want to upgrade from a microsoft works > version > spreadsheet to EXCEL 2003. How do I go about doing that. I did download > previously a free trial version of EXCEL but I don't remember the product > key. > > How do I go about purchasing EXCEL 2003 only and not the entire microsoft > offce suite? Can I buy a download and not the CD? -- Jeffrey Brown http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx Or find a third-party reseller http://shop.microsoft.com/helpdesk/reseller.asp The Microsoft Excel 2003...

Formatting excel, balloons?
I have data exported to and excel spreadsheet. It looks very messy. There are rows that have a small amount of text at the beginning, but at the end there is a large amount to text in the cells. The column width at the beginning is huge, and there's only a couple words there. My question is, is there any way to make this look nicer? I was thinking about putting a balloon that would contain a cell's text that has a lot of info. I don't even know if you can create balloons, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you Brad ...

How to open Excel email attachment
I have a customer that emails me an Excel file, but I cannot open it. I have only a trail version of Excel 2003 for now. I get the Excel icon highlighted, but not the file. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "thomnic (removethis) @earthlink.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:379401c48f74$cd8c5180$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a customer that emails me an Excel file, but I > cannot open it. I have only a trail version of Excel > 2003 for now. I get the Excel icon highlighted, but not > the fil...

Running an old version of Microsoft Money on Windows 98
I have an old disk which came with my original computer running windows 95. I would like to download Microsoft Money from the support disk to my current computer with windows 98. When I load the disk into my E drive, I get an error message that file VBRUN300.dill cannot be found. I downloaded VBRUN300.exe from the MSN download site, the disk still will not run and I get the same message. Any suggestions? You can't just "download," you must "install" or "setup." It is entirely possible that the support CD that came with your Win95 computer WAS NOT DE...

How do you create a selection box for data entry within excel
I am trying to setup an excel form for data entry and I'd like to have the entry clerk select from a list of items for one of the columns. For example - THe column name is Status - I'd like them to be able to select Single, Married, Divorced, Separate. How can I setup the spreadsheet to accept this type of data entry? 1) First type Single, Married, Divorced, Separate in any range where you entry clerk can not modify it, say M1:M4. 2) Select the Status column 3) Tools > Data > Validation 4) Setting: Allow - "list", Source - "M1:M4", Check "Ignore bl...

address list in excel need to get into outlook contacts
I am trying to get a spreadsheet full of contacts into outlook and outlook is not recognizing even after mapping. is ther a certain way to do the spreadsheet to get outlook to import correctly? You might try looking here: Microsoft.public.outlook Microsoft.public.outlook.contacts Microsoft.public.outlook.general Ed "mark odom" <metalroofing@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:042a01c3b23a$80f282d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to get a spreadsheet full of contacts into > outlook and outlook is not recognizing even after > mapping. is ther a certain w...

angled or sloping column headings in Excel
How do I create angled or sloping headings in Excel Select your cells. Format|Cells|Alignment tab|Play around with the orientation area. PhilipRichards wrote: > > How do I create angled or sloping headings in Excel -- Dave Peterson Select the cells you typed the headings into. Then, Format, Cells, Alignment. Slant as desired using the Orientation area. tj "PhilipRichards" wrote: > How do I create angled or sloping headings in Excel Select the cells; use Format|Cells and open Alignment tab At right-hand side: either drag the line on the gauge or set the angle by ...

Automating a mailmerge from Excel
H I'm trying to automate a Word Mailmerge from Excel. My data source is within Excel and the letter is in Word. Can anyone help me with the code for this? Hi Jim, I have a page on using Mail Merge for printing labels, it is much the same whether you print labels or print a letter, or an envelope. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm The Excel worksheet you use must be placed so that it is the leftmost worksheet tab. Pages by people oriented to Word can be found at. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm#more How to create a Mail Merge by Beth Melton ...

Excel should let me organize charts in groups
When creating many charts in an excel sheet there is a need to organize them in a way to be easily dealt with. The proposal is to group those charts in a group cascaded after each other, each chart has a tap like the taps of the excel sheet which contain the name of the sheet. This group of charts may be minimized as an icon which can be dragged or cut & past in other excel sheet or any other office document. Also we need the ability format the group in one step instead of applying the format to each chart. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft resp...