ROW function does not work as expected

Hello,

I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the
value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using
the following:

=IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the
value of this cell is greater than 0

This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact
same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I
learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and
AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.excel/
browse_thread/thread/
9973d2120f5fad15/13b37943e529dd96#13b37943e529dd96).

So I changed it to:
=IF(AND(OFFSET(A1;ROW()-1;3-1)="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)

but again, it fails. Replacing ROW() with a value like "6" and
everything is fine.

Does anyone has a solution/workaround for this?

Thanks.
NK
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If the current cell is C3, this works for me.

=IF(AND(B3="B",C3>0),TRUE,FALSE)

Nacht Klavier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the
> value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using
> the following:
>
> =IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
> Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the
> value of this cell is greater than 0
>
> This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact
> same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I
> learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and
> AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.excel/
> browse_thread/thread/
> 9973d2120f5fad15/13b37943e529dd96#13b37943e529dd96).
>
> So I changed it to:
> =IF(AND(OFFSET(A1;ROW()-1;3-1)="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
>
> but again, it fails. Replacing ROW() with a value like "6" and
> everything is fine.
>
> Does anyone has a solution/workaround for this?
>
> Thanks.
> NK

0
Jordon
7/23/2010 3:35:20 PM
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for your lightning fast answer.

I should add, that conditional formatting will be used in a table like
this:

B  1 1 1 0 0 1  <-- format all zeros with color grey, all ones with
color green
<other values>
<other values>
B  0 0 0 1 1 0
<other values>
<other values>
X  0 0 0 1 1 0
<other values>
<other values>

The ROW function is intended to help to only have two formulas for
multiple ranges.
Btw: I am using Excel 2007.

NK

On 23 Jul., 17:35, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote:
> If the current cell is C3, this works for me.
>
> =IF(AND(B3="B",C3>0),TRUE,FALSE)
>

> Nacht Klavier wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the
> > value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using
> > the following:
>
> > =IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
> > Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the
> > value of this cell is greater than 0
>
> > This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact
> > same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I
> > learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and
> > AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.excel/
> > browse_thread/thread/
> > 9973d2120f5fad15/13b37943e529dd96#13b37943e529dd96).
>
> > So I changed it to:
> > =IF(AND(OFFSET(A1;ROW()-1;3-1)="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
>
> > but again, it fails. Replacing ROW() with a value like "6" and
> > everything is fine.
>
> > Does anyone has a solution/workaround for this?
>
> > Thanks.
> > NK

Can't you just have two conditions?

=IF(AND($B3="B",C3>0),TRUE,FALSE)
=IF(AND($B3="B",C3=0),TRUE,FALSE)

Nacht Klavier wrote:
> Hi Jordan,
>
> Thanks for your lightning fast answer.
>
> I should add, that conditional formatting will be used in a table like
> this:
>
> B  1 1 1 0 0 1<-- format all zeros with color grey, all ones with
> color green
> <other values>
> <other values>
> B  0 0 0 1 1 0
> <other values>
> <other values>
> X  0 0 0 1 1 0
> <other values>
> <other values>
>
> The ROW function is intended to help to only have two formulas for
> multiple ranges.
> Btw: I am using Excel 2007.
>
> NK
>
> On 23 Jul., 17:35, Jordon<jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com>  wrote:
>> If the current cell is C3, this works for me.
>>
>> =IF(AND(B3="B",C3>0),TRUE,FALSE)
>>

>> Nacht Klavier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the
>>> value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using
>>> the following:
>>
>>> =IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
>>> Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the
>>> value of this cell is greater than 0
>>
>>> This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact
>>> same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I
>>> learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and
>>> AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.excel/
>>> browse_thread/thread/
>>> 9973d2120f5fad15/13b37943e529dd96#13b37943e529dd96).
>>
>>> So I changed it to:
>>> =IF(AND(OFFSET(A1;ROW()-1;3-1)="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
>>
>>> but again, it fails. Replacing ROW() with a value like "6" and
>>> everything is fine.
>>
>>> Does anyone has a solution/workaround for this?
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> NK

0
Jordon
7/23/2010 3:56:57 PM
Just curious why you don't refer to B(row) directly.

You know what cell is getting the conditional formatting, so why use =indirect()
at all???

So if a cell on row 6 is getting the conditional formatting:

=and(C6="B";d6>0)
or maybe:
=and($C6="B";d6>0)

if there are multiple cells, but you always want to check column C.

--
Dave Peterson
0

The reason for not using "C" as a fixed value is that I want to set
formatting for multiple rows - every third one - in a table (see my
second post). In Excel I am able to select only the rows I need and
apply the formula for formatting there. If I manually set the row
within the formula it is fine. But this is not a nice solution, is it?

Thanks,
NK

On 23 Jul., 18:48, Dave Peterson <peter...@XSPAMverizon.net> wrote:
> Just curious why you don't refer to B(row) directly.
>
> You know what cell is getting the conditional formatting, so why use =indirect()
> at all???
>
> So if a cell on row 6 is getting the conditional formatting:
>
> =and(C6="B";d6>0)
> or maybe:
> =and($C6="B";d6>0)
>
> if there are multiple cells, but you always want to check column C.
>
> On 07/23/2010 10:26, Nacht Klavier wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the
> > value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using
> > the following:
>
> > =IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
> > Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the
> > value of this cell is greater than 0
>
> > This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact
> > same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I
> > learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and
> > AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.excel/
> > browse_thread/thread/
> > 9973d2120f5fad15/13b37943e529dd96#13b37943e529dd96).
>
> > So I changed it to:
> > =IF(AND(OFFSET(A1;ROW()-1;3-1)="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE)
>
> > but again, it fails. Replacing ROW() with a value like "6" and
> > everything is fine.
>
> > Does anyone has a solution/workaround for this?
>
> > Thanks.
> > NK
>
> --
> Dave Peterson

I don't understand.

If you're selecting the range to apply conditional formatting, you can select
every third row and use a conditional formatting formula like:

=and($C##="B";$d##>0)

Where ## represents the row that the activecell is in.

Excel is pretty smart and will adjust the row numbers for all the cells in the
selected area.

It's a lot like when you copy a formula down a column.  Excel is smart enough to
adjust the formula -- as long as you write that formula correctly with the $
signs in the correct spots!

--
Dave Peterson
0

Am Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:48:20 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Nacht Klavier:

> The reason for not using "C" as a fixed value is that I want to set
> formatting for multiple rows - every third one - in a table (see my
> second post). In Excel I am able to select only the rows I need and
> apply the formula for formatting there. If I manually set the row
> within the formula it is fine. But this is not a nice solution, is it?

your values start in A1, then:
=AND(MOD(ROW(),3)=1,A1=1)
for formatting the ones

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Thank you for your help. I have the solution now:

--> Simply save, close and reload.

Yes, my formula works as expected now - but not when I change it
without closing the file. This is quite an unexpectable error but now
everything is fine.

NK

On Jul 25, 10:03=A0pm, Claus Busch <claus_bu...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi NK,
>
> Am Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:48:20 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Nacht Klavier:
>
> > The reason for not using "C" as a fixed value is that I want to set
> > formatting for multiple rows - every third one - in a table (see my
> > second post). In Excel I am able to select only the rows I need and
> > apply the formula for formatting there. If I manually set the row
> > within the formula it is fine. But this is not a nice solution, is it?
>
> your values start in A1, then:
> =3DAND(MOD(ROW(),3)=3D1,A1=3D1)
> for formatting the ones
>
> Regards
> Claus Busch
> --
> Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
> Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

insering rows with vb
Hi This piece of code inserts a new row on the current worksheet, above the active cell. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveCell.Resize(1, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub Anyone know how this can be expanded to insert a new row in exactly the same position on worksheet 2? Many Thanks katie Katie, Here it goes: Worksheets("Sheet2").Rows(ActiveCell.Row).EntireRow.Insert HTH, Nikos "katie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d2901c4423d$9f7d6510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > This piece of code i...

cell watch function in excel 2001 for mac?
is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there way to download an add-in for it -- mike1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mike10's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1441 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26193 In article <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com>, mike10 <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there a > way to download an add-in for it? MacXL's VBE do...

Average Function
Hi group, I have a formula in a cell that takes the average Sales of the 12 rows (for Jan to Dec) like so: =Average(A1:A12)The problem is that for example, since therea are no sales figures from August to Dec, the average is underestimated because it averages it over the entire range of cells (though they are zero from Augus to Dec). How can I make this Average function to be smarter and only average those months that the sales is not zero (August to Dec is Not BLANK but its zero) Hi Average is a very simple thing: SUM/COUNT. So =SUM(A1:A12)/12 should do for all years with 12 mont...

Excel Writeback functionality with SSAS
Hi, I am working on Excel 2010 writeback functionality with SSAS. Writeback functionality works when the cube is of small size. Writeback functionality fails when the cube is of have size say 50lakh records. I get an error as Data cannot be retrieved from external data source. Error Message written by the external data source Server: The operation has been cancelled. ...

Exact Function
I'm trying to compare two columns of check numbers using the exact function to get a true or false. One column of check numbers have zeros in front of check number and second column does not have zeros, but the function is resulting in a false due to it comparing the two as text and not number. I've tried formatting the column to number but the zeros don't come off, any ideas??? EXACT is a text function so it does what it is supposed to do. if your check numbers are true excel numbers then you can compare them as A1=B1 Another possible way =EXACT(TEXT(A1,"...

If Count is not in a certain range, delete Rows
I have a spreadsheet that is 59752 x 2, with the one column Contact ID A and the other column Contact Link ID. It is like an instant messaging system. It looks something like this: 1 2 1 3 1 15 2 1 2 15 I want to count by different values in column A, and any count that is not within one of several ranges, those rows get deleted. So if the range is 3-5 contacts, then I want to keep the set of 1s, but delete the set of 2s. My ranges are 4-5 contacts, 30-41 contacts, and 100+ contacts. I am also brand new to macros, but I have experience with some other coding ...

How do I select every nth row?
Hi I have a long list of data. Every fourth row contains the sort of data (ID, name, points...) Unfortunately the data is all in one long column. Can someone tell me how to select out every fourth row? Maybe something that can give me the row number modulo 4? My overall goal is to move this data into an Access table, but I'm having trouble because of the format. Thanks. Ray. If your data starts in A2 and you want A2, A6, A10 and so on, use a help column adjacent and next to the first cell with data use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=1 copy down if you want A5, A9, A13 use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=0 ...

Out of office replys not working correctly
Hello, We have a few users who have the automatic out of office replys turned on and they work fine from within the company. However, they dont seem to be responding to outside mail such as yahoo.com, gmail.com or hotmail.com. Is there a setting in exchange 2003 server that would prohibit out of office replys from going out to external mail? Thanks in advance... Yes, OOFs to the Internet are disabled by default. Global Settings/Internet Message Formats/Properties/ click the checkbox to enable. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:55:28 -0800, Psycho <Psycho@Psychotic.net> wrote: >Hello...

Password not working all of a sudden
I've been using Money forever, and I have 2005 version. ALl of a sudden I can't log into money with my passport login. This is happening not just on one account, but two accounts (mine and my girlfriends) I can login offline, and still update accounts, but it won't sign in. I can sign into other passport sites fine. Anyone know if there is something amiss with Money and passport Caps Lock? "Rico Singleton" <mastermind2@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:OupgzUt5FHA.2628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I've been using Money forever, and I have 2005 ver...

how do i set an auto date function in excel or word?
I would like all documnts in both word and excel to automatically date as the document or report is prepared. =NOW() "hpkcommish" wrote: > I would like all documnts in both word and excel to automatically date as the > document or report is prepared. for excell Go to View> Header & footer >custom header footer then click on the clock pic & the date pic (choose 1st if you want it in the left middle or right feild) For word basically the same Cheers peterm "hpkcommish" wrote: > I would like all documnts in both word and excel to automatica...

Why CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") doesn't work?
I get a runtime error ("object variable not set") pointing to the assignment statement when I do the following: Dim v As Object v = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") I have select Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5 (also tried 1.0) under Tools > References. But nothing is added under VBAProject \ References in the Project pane, as there is when I select atpvbaen.xls for example. Is that indicative of the root cause of the problem, perhaps a missing file? What is the name of the file that contains the Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5....

Insert function
The Insert Ribbon will not open,just the Header/Footer portion will. I can not select Lines I have put in my document, to adjust them. Why?? You say Insert "Ribbon". Are you using Excel 2007? Maybe the sheet is protected. -- -Brigette "Kevin" wrote: > The Insert Ribbon will not open,just the Header/Footer portion will. I can > not select Lines I have put in my document, to adjust them. > Why?? ...

CAsyncSocket Receive and OnReceive doesn't work
vc++ 6.0 Using an own Socket class (with base class CAsyncSocket). I (client) try to connect to a server application. The function CAsyncSocket::Connect() returns the error 10035. The send and receive commands are executed but no data is transferred. The functions CAsyncSocket::OnReceived() CAsyncSocket::OnSend() are not called. Using CSocket as base class the data is sent and received without problems (no error while execution CSocket::Connect()). The overloaded functions CSocket::OnReceived() and CSocket::OnSend() are not called, too. The overloaded functions are declared correct in th...

Setting Major tick to none on charts is not working, is it a bug?
I've tried to set the major tick for my x-axis to none, so that the marks only show up above my data points along the x-axis... it is not working I notice a small change from None to Cross, but it basically looks the same as cross, just a little bit shorter on both ends(inside and outside). Anyone know if this is being fixed, if it's a bug... or if I'm doing it incorrectly? I can change it with both XY Scatter charts and Line charts. What type of chart are you trying to change? "Mike J" <Mike J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EFDB3C7-1CBD-4...

How can I delete rows from Pivot Tables in Excel 2000 as in 97
I was able to delete multiple unwanted rows from Excel 97 Pivot Tables. Now I find I can only delete rows individually by untagging them in Excel 2000 Pivot Table. This is far too time consuming... Does anyone have a faster Solution ...

Combine an And OR function
I have a little function that i need help with. =IF(AND($B9="Z",AE9=35,J9=1),1000). This function works fine, however I need to add in somehow that J9 could equal M or 1 or C and I would like the function still to be true and return the value as 1000. As I see it, this is smoehow combining and AND OR statement but I cant get it to work. Thanks Try this: =3DIF(AND($B9=3D"Z",AE9=3D35,OR(J9=3D1,J9=3D"M",J9=3D"C")),1000,"not define= d") This will retern "not defined" if the conditions are not met. Hope this helps. ...

Count rows based on multiple criteria
I have a need to count the number of rows in an Excel spreadsheet based on contents of multiple cells. The formula is on one worksheet and all data is on a second worksheet. IE: count all rows that have the word "Windows" in column B and the word "Complete" in column G. Have not been able to figure this out with common functions like count, countif, dcount, etc. Help appreciated. -- DMG IT Professional Search for SUMPRODUCT or SUMIFS if you use XL-2007 "dmg" wrote: > I have a need to count the number of rows in an Excel spreadshee...

Worksheet 'shape' (#columns by #rows)
Hi All; Have a problem here in that we would like to import some data into a spreadsheet, but the data array is 512 by 512 elements. Excel seems to force a limit of 256 columns. Is there a way to change the array shape? In any Excel version 97-2003. -- __ Pete Snell Royal Military College Kingston Ontario Snell-p@rmc.ca The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw Hi Peter there is now way to change this limitation (Ex...

Specify Rows and Cols for worksheet Change Event?
Hi, Can someone please tell me how to change the below Visual Basic code (originally from Nick H.) for excel so that the Target area it applies to is not columns A:A but applies only to Columns J thru M and Rows 25 thru 36. ORIGNAL REPLY: You could use a worksheet change event. The code below will present a message box on each entry. Test it with validation first. As written it only works with entries in column A (The code goes behind a worksheet in the workbook. Right click on a sheet tab and select 'View code'. Paste the code in the resultant window) Private Sub...

Multi Select List Not Working
The following code works perfectly for a multi select list. I've used it for several years on many applications. I'm encountering a strange error however on this code that takes criteria from three different lists and enters the data into a query. The first two list's criteria work fine but the third list has a strange quirk. Here's what it is doing. Let's say the third list has choices, 1,2,3,4,5,6. If I choose 3,4,5 in the list and run the code, it returns 1,4,5. If I choose 2,4,5,6 the code returns 1,4,5,6. It always returns the first value in my list wh...

Addition function of multiple cells
Does anyone know if there is a function that will take a list of numbers in different cells and run various addition combinations on the list to detemine which cells will add to a specific number? For example: A1 = 1 A2 = 2 A3 = 5 A4 = 7 I want to know which cells added to gether will give me 6...answer = A1 + A3 On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:11:01 -0700, DB74 <DB74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know if there is a function that will take a list of numbers in >different cells and run various addition combinations on the list to detemine >which ce...

Outlook journal entries do not work in Office XP.
I have a user that informed me his journal entries do not work. I also tried mine and they also do not work We are running Win2k with Office XP. I just thought of something this can be stopped through AD can it not? Update, a while back we moved My Documents to a network drive for backups and so no mater where they login they will see thier My Documents. If thier My Documents is local Journal entries work. If it's a network drive they do not. Anyone have an idea on how to fix this one? Thanks. "David Bissonnette" <dbissonnette@foster-miller.com> wrote in message ...

How do I get a jscript function to load in CRM?
I am a newbie. I just passed by CRM Customization exam, but have yet to do any real work. My first assignment was to write a format function that could be called from several fields. I assumed that I could just load the function into the OnLoad event, but I now see that the OnLoad event is itself a function. The window allows you only to enter the code that would fall between function OnLoad () { }, but not to add a different function. So how do I get this code loaded? I have seen code snippets that showed a line or two of code assigned to a javascript attribute, and I could, pre...

function defaults change in Pivot Table..why?
I was recently working in my pivot table and had something happened that doesn't make a lot of sense to me so I'm asking for some assistance. Usually, when I drag a field on to my Pivot Table in the DATA section it defaults to the sum function with a number field. It also defaults to a count function when I drag a field that has text in it. Recently, I got a pivot table that default a number field to the count function. Can anyone explain why the default has changed on this particular Pivot Table? Any asistance would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks! Tim If there's a blank ...

Sorting in a custom view not functioning as expected
I just can't shake the feeling this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to get it or find an appropriate Google response. I have saved a custom view for my tasks. In it, I have a custom sort set up for my tasks. (A custom field text field "Grouping" ascending, then "Status" descending, then "Due Date" ascending, if you want to know.) My problem is, it's often convenient to look at things by category, so I (and my little users) click on the "Category" heading to get a quick view of things sorted that way. Then, I want to...