retricting web query results to number of characters...

I have a web query that pulls a large string of data.
Is there any way that I can adjust my query to only pull the first 10
characters (left) of the table?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't think so. But, you can import your data and then use a formula or
macro to get the left(yourcell,10)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"J.W. Aldridge" <jeremy.w.aldridge@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a web query that pulls a large string of data.
> Is there any way that I can adjust my query to only pull the first 10
> characters (left) of the table?

0
dguillett1 (2487)

how do i bring over text and number t
I need help......I will give you an example.....say I have a name and numerical value in F1-F4.......I would like to know the formula that I could put in A1 that would not only pick out the lowest numerical value, but bring that lowest value and name to cell A1. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi not sure where your name is, but if your name is stored in column G try =INDEX(G1:G4,MATCH(MIN(F1:F4),F1:F4,0)) Frank > I need help......I will give you an example.....say I have a name and > numerical value in F1-F4.......I would like to...

ROUNDED NUMBERS IN FORMULA'S
Can anybody help me to set up Excel so that it uses rounded numbers in formulas? I have got the cell formatted to 'show' the number rounded to two decimal places but the complete root number (shown in the formula bar), is used! Eg. 1.5642 (1.56 shown) x 4 = 6.2568 (6.25 shown) I want to multiply 1.56 x 4 = 6.24, without going into each individual cell and removing the unrequired numbers. I hope that somebody can help me - even if it is to tell me to stop trying because it's maybe not possible. I thank anybody in advance for any constructive response. bing1080 =round(A1...

Query--using Access 2007
I have a tblAddress table with a lookup field called TypeofAddressID. A company may have many addresses with different TypeofAddressID—such as 1 = Business, 2 = Mailstop, 3 = PO Box, and so on. I need to pull out TypeofAddressID # 1. Then if a 1 is not available, give me the type that is (which may be the PO address or Mailstop). I tried DLookup, Xor, and IIf([TypeofAddressID]=1, 1, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=2, 2, IIf([TypeofAddressID]=3, 3, 4))), but it is listing all addresses per company instead of either or. Any suggestions? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster....

Text box displaying result from a query
Hi On a form the user selects a part No in a combo box, else where on that form I want to use related fields to show information. I have made a query that filters on the combo box and the results are correct but when I select the new text box in input in the control source "=[Qu-JobSelectFrmCompAnnalisi]![Componet short Name]" all I get displayed is #Name? What am I doing wrong to get it to display the data I want? I am using access 97 , any advise is welcome. Thanks Jon Jon, If your query only returns one record, and is not bound to your form, then try: =DLOOKUP("...

Stripping out extra "straight quote" character
On occasion an extra character, appearing as a straight quote, occupies the first space of an entry. Iin fact, I have to double click on the cell in order for it to appear at all. The search function does not find this hidden character, and so can't easily delete them, leaving me with a very tedious manual, cell-by-cell deletion. Our thinking is that Excel created these as a default character to indicate a text entry but not sure. How can we delete these in one fell swoop. Is this possible? I've tried selecting all and bringing text into MS Word in order to edit there but this...

How can you generate an Excel file from a query that has parameter
In Access 2007, I am currently using the following code to generate an excel file from a normal select query and it work fine. In my code, I am building parts of the statement based on data that is stored in tables. "s" = a string that represents the name of the query "p" = a concatenated string that represents the files Path, files Name, and files extention DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, s, acFormatXLS, p, False My question is what would the code be if the query needed to have parameters passed in? Can anyone help me with this? Here'...

Query Parameter
I want to supply a parameter to a query to define the from date and to date and retrieve data falling under this from and to date. but, i do not want it to be prompted, as the same criteria is to be used in more than one table. so, i want to store the from date and o date in a temp table and related this to the date field in different tables. thanks You could create a table (tblDateRange) with 2 date fields (datStart and datEnd) and only one record. Then add tblDateRange to your query and don't join it. Set the criteria under your date field to: Between [datStart] and [datEnd] ...

Outlook Web Access saving messages
Is there a way to save or archive messages in OWA2003 to the local PC? -- Non-tech lost in cyberspace Pappy_Dog pappy_dog <pappy_dog@lycos.com> wrote: > Is there a way to save or archive messages in OWA2003 to the local PC? Other than cut/paste from within the browser window to a Windows file, no. OWA is simply a window into your Exchange server and has no knowledge of your local machine. -- Brian Tillman ...

Unposted GL batches missing account numbers and dollars in transac
I have a client who has several batches that contain the transaction number and dollar amount in the header but when you go to the transaction there is no account number or dollar amount for the transaction. All other items are there for the transaction. I had them do a backup>reconcile batches (which then cleared the batches out) and a check links. They received no error messages on the check links. I had them restore from the backup and do a check links again getting no errors. Has anyone had this type of issue happen before? If so how did you handle it? Thank you. -- Tammy ...

Simple query
I wish to add a trailing comma to each text record in a column. The text is of varying/undefined length. How should I do this? TIA Brian Tozer Hi in a helper column use =A1 & "," -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ci4jv9$bbe$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > I wish to add a trailing comma to each text record in a column. > The text is of varying/undefined length. > How should I do this? > TIA > > Brian Tozer > > Thanks very much Frank. Brian "Frank Kabel" <fran...

Find if nth char = specific character..
hi, trying to find way to see if 5th character equals the letter A. know / tried: len( or right( but item tested may have more than 5 characters. Thanks. Hi, Try the MID function. =MID(A1,5,1)="A" Cheers Andy nastech wrote: > hi, trying to find way to see if 5th character equals the letter A. > know / tried: len( or right( but item tested may have more than 5 > characters. Thanks. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info =IF(MID(A1,5,1)="A","yes","no") -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email addr...

CHANGE PO NUMBER
CAN I CHANGE PO NUMBER ONCE ITS CREATED BY DEFAULT. PLEASE HELP. -- Buzz Dan End USER with lot of confussion & PROBLEM Buzz, I have had this problem happened before and had to develop my own tool to do this. Since I don't know what modules you have, I have created a general script that will scan for the PONUMBER field in all tables in the company database and create the appropriate update queries in the Results window, that you must copy and paste again in a new query window and run again against your company database. declare @newponumber char(25), @oldponumber char(25) s...

Counting Numbers of Rows
I have several excel spreadsheets that list the contents of a drive by file name, path, size of file, extension and a few other things. I can sort the file extension column to see a general list of the files of each type but I was wondering if there is a simple way to (1) list all the different file extensions that I have in a column and (2) count them up and list that number. It's almost like a summary report which would appear like this: Extension Number of docs ..doc 446 ..ppt 103 ..htm 734 etc. etc. etc. I can always clean up the sheet but am...

Writing a script -- to launch program from Outlook and paste phone number into it
Hi, I know Visual Basic and VBScript. However, I am wondering how to write an Outlook VBScript that will launch a program from Outlook (from a selected Contact) and then automatically paste phone number into it using simulated copy & paste. Does the commands exist in VBScript in order to be able to do such an operation? I am hoping that this is the right forum to ask this question; but if not, then please let me know. Thanks! Mark Rejhon ...

Access 2003 query help please
Hello, I am in need of some advice for a table create query. I have to work with a database that is imported using XML from an online database. Unfortunately the online database is a single (flat) table of membership data. I need to generate a mailing list from that data. The problem is that each record may contain one of two addresses for the mailing to a member. One is the organization address they work at the other is an optional mailing address. If the optional mailing address is present those fields must be used, otherwise the fields containing the organization address should be us...

only average cells w/numbers?
I have a column (L) that my data begins in Row 9 and ends in Row 55. Need to have average of the numbers in those cells (L9-L55). However, some cells contain #VALUE, because information for the row ha not been entered. In L56, I'd like to have the average of only those cells L9-L55 tha contain a number. Thank you. MAG -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(L9:L55)),L9:L55)/SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(L9:L55) )) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have a column (L) that my data begins in Row 9 and ends in Row 55. > Need to h...

Counting query
I have a list of 100 items in Column 1 with many duplicates. In column 2 I wish to show how many times each item appears. So each duplicate will have this number beside it in column 2. What function/facility do I research to find how to do this? Many thanks Brian Tozer Enter this in B1: =COUNTIF(A:A,A1) Now, select B1. Hover the cursor over the lower right corner of B1 (small black square), until the cursor changes from a fat white cross, to a skinny black cross. Then, *double click*. This will copy the formula in B1 down column B, as far as there is data in column A. -- HTH, RD --...

Browser links to xlsx files result in File Not Found
I know there must be a simple answer to this, but I have searched and had no luck. A link from either of my browsers (IE7 and Firefox 3.08) will open Excel and the file with extension xls, but will not open an Excel 2007 file with extension xlsx. I believe the same think occurs with Word 2007. Is it something in my browser setup? The message I get is "The page cannot be found"... HTTP Error 404 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi, I have same problem, I installed the latest drivers: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7554F536-8C28-4598-9B72-EF9...

Long numbers show up as Scientific Notation
Hello, We have a web based asset tracking system, and some assets have long serial numbers; for instance, 3100600300030147987 or 3101600300100020220 When we import, cut and paste, or open an HTML format page in Excel with these serial numbers, they all show up as: 3.1016E+18 and the last 6 digits get rounded up. How do we show the correct value for these long numbers in excel? Thanks On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:59:07 -0800, berryware421243 <berryware421243@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >We have a web based asset tracking system, and some assets have long seria...

Automated way to discover the structure of the result set of a stored procedure?
Is it possible to write a script that, as its input, takes the name of a stored procedure, and, as its output, produces a table each of whose rows contains the name and data type of each column in the (presumably unique) result set of that stored procedure? I am trying to build a system that can create a set of scripts that can act as a test harness for a given stored procedure. I would like to automate as much of this task as possible. Currently, I am generating scripts that can read sets of parameters stored in a table, invoke the stored procedure for each parameter set (represente...

Wierd Chinese Characters in Response Box
Running MS Office 2003 Professional. The spelling checker does not seem to work properly when I am composing email. Only if I look at it in the "Outbox" will the mispelled words be highlighted. When I went into Outlook > Tools > Options > Spelling > AutoCorrect Options (here all boxes are checked) > then click on the "OK" button I get a response box that is full of Chinese (?) characters with an "OK" button. What is that all about? Thanks in advance for your response. ...

% query based on dates.
Hi, I need to run a query to find out % of site visits made within 10 days of receipt of a case. Both fields are of the date type and the site visit date needs to contain no NULL values. The fields are: - DateRecd = date of receipt of case DateR = date of site visit Anyone able to help? Thanks, Andy. abyron@solihull.gov.uk -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Sorry, the DateR field is a text field and not a date field for some reason. Andy. abyron@solihull.gov.uk -- Murdoc Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queri...

'RCT' number on PO Invoices not on PM enquiry screen
The Receipt number on PO invoices does not show on the PM Trn By Creditor enquiry window, which makes it difficult to see at first glance i.e. without drilling back into the PO invoice the system generated number for the invoice, which customers are using for the filing reference. It is not possible to bring this field onto the window using Modifier (as far as I know), so is it possible for you to put this field onto the window at all?? -- Thanks, Peter ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for t...

Local Data Queries
Hello, I have created about 4 customer queries in my Local Data CRM Synchronization. i would like to push these out to all of the users on the CRM System. Is there anyway to add these Queries to the default queries for all of my users? Thanks, Chris Hi Chirs, I have the same question... Could you find a solution for your issue??? Thanks! Pablo -- Pablo Gómez "Chris Brown" wrote: > Hello, > > I have created about 4 customer queries in my Local Data CRM > Synchronization. i would like to push these out to all of the users on the > CRM System. ...

Query to show relevant training
I want to make a report (which I hope to eventually use as a subreport) to detail training classes employees have taken since they last renewed licenses. Training only counts if it's occurred after the issue date of the certificate. I have four tables that I believe would be relevant, a truncated list follows: tblTrainingClass: lngClassID (PK) chrClassTitle dtmClassDate .... tblEmployee: chrEmpID (PK) chrLName chrFName .... tblTrainee: (an intersection table) lngClassID (PK) chrEmpID (PK) tblCertificate: lngCertificateID (PK) chrEmpID (FK) dtmIssueDate dtmEx...