Renaming columns #2

I'd like to rename the A B C D at the top to the name of my columns, o
at least leave the column headings at the top of my screen.

Does anyone know how

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tools>Options>View, uncheck "Row and column headers".
You can insert a row and a column with your own names, but they will not be
recognized in formulas the same way as "A1". But you can define row and
column names and use the intersection as an address in a formula. The
intersection operator is a space. So if you defined the name "Material" for
column A and "Coat"  for row 4, you can use "Material Coat" (without the
quotes) as an address in a formula instead of "A4".
To make it look more like real row and column headers, select cell B2,
Windows>Freeze panes.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Uberman >" <<Uberman.1buvlr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to rename the A B C D at the top to the name of my columns, or
> at least leave the column headings at the top of my screen.
>
> Does anyone know how?
>

> ---

nicolaus (2022)
8/31/2004 2:48:12 PM
How do you create ones with the names on them

You can create a name in the sense that  Niek mentioned
by selecting a column and placing a name into the
name box at the left of the address bar.

You can delete names, or add them through the
Insert (menu),  Name, Define, ...

I don't know if that is what you are actually looking for
as it just provides a means for you to address your
locations -- they do not show on the spreadsheet.
---
HTH,

"Uberman >" <<Uberman.1bvxc3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote ...
> How do you create ones with the names on them?

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Upgrading from Money 2002 #2
I have the original money 2002 that came with the computer and have never upgraded. Which is the best version to go to? More importantly, when I purchase and download the upgrade, will it go over the current program and update all the information that I currently have? Thanks and Happy New Year -- mfletcher The latest version in the US is Money+ aka Money 2008. Other geographies have different versions. Money keeps all your data in the .mny file not the program. When you install the new version it usually remembers where your .mny file was, makes a copy of it (for safety) and then up...

pantone colors #2
Is there a way to make Publisher 2007 show all Pantone Colors? I want 021 U. Find doesn't do it. B I don't think Publisher has all the Pantone colors. There are close equivalents. Not the same of course... C=0 M=53 Y=100 K=0 R=252 G=115 B=35 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Bob Wright" <mmpdallas@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23N1wilmHJHA.1364@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to make Publisher 2007 show all Pantone Colors? I want 021 U. > Find doesn't do it. > B Guess you are right, not all there. Weird. Close equivalents ...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

sum of a column according to two or more variables
I have a master log with a column called hours lost, a column calle vendor, one called problem type and the rows are labeled and sorted b date. I would like to sum the hours lost column for each month according t the month and vendor, and have the sum end up in one cell I would also like to sum the hours lost column for each month accordin to the month and problem type and have the sum end up in one cell basically I only want the hours lost data for a specific vendor an month at one time or a specific problem type and month at one time, bu I don't know how to set up the formula correctl...

Workflow rule on (Order)Products and columns of related entities in advanced find view
Hi, Does anyone know whether it's possible to create workflow rules on (Order)Products, since the entity Products isn't part of the standard workflow entity? In my example I have added a new (expiry) date attribute on the OrderProduct form. Now I would like to add a workflow rule on that datefield to create a task when the expiry date is nearly reached; but the problem I have is that i can't "reach" the fields on the OrderProduct form to put a workflow rule on? Another problem I have is that I've created an advanced find query in which I query customers who have or...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

Print Macro #2
Trying to write a macro to print a spreadsheet where the number of rows of data varies. What's wrong with this code? Dim rng As Range Set rng = Range("A1").End(xlDown).End(xlToRight) With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .PrintArea = rng End With Thank you. Pam Hi Pam Leave your PrintArea empty Excel will print all cells with a value on the sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Pam" <gasp0225@juno.com> wrote in message news:16e401c38521$a7d25420$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Trying to write a macro to ...

Importing data into Outlook #2
Is there a process or program with which I can transfer my ACT! data into Outlook contacts? Thanks! ...

want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same
I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy. I've figured out how to enter a formula when all the $ I want to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do that when I want to select only the $ values for certain items listed throughout the spreadsheet. For example: I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $ values of each project as they are assigned. I want to automatically calculate the total current $ value for each Architect without having to sort them in order, or create a separate table for each architect. Can I do that? Here's what th...

Remove last letter from column
Hi, I have a list of titles and some titles have a letter A or B at the end.. is there a function/formula I can use to remove them if it ends in A or B? For example (my list): Accounting Sr Mgr B Accounts Payable Sr Mgr B Ambulatory Plng Sr Prog Dir A Need it to look like this: Accounting Sr Mgr Accounts Payable Sr Mgr Ambulatory Plng Sr Prog Dir Thanks! This will get rid of the A or B at the end along with the space before it. Assuming the value is in A5: =IF(OR(RIGHT(A5,2)=" B",RIGHT(A5,2)=" A"),LEFT(A5,LEN(A5)-2),A5) kvc wrote: > Hi, I have a list of titles a...

Unable to send a message, its been trying for 24hrs #2
I have been tring to send an email that contains a photo, for the past 24hrs. it wont send. all I am able to see is "cannot open this file, Outlook has already begun transmission. It wont even let me delete the message http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm=20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, tillybird asked: | I have been tring to send an email that contains a photo, for the | past ...

reflecting values in a column into a row
I am creating a chart to map a round-robin chess game. If there are 4 players, then all 4 has to play one another. if I have the names John Mike Sally Bill Then I'd like to type them into a columns and write a formula in a row to pick up the names the spreadsheet should then look like this: John Mike Sally Bill John Mike Sally Bill I think it may be achieved with the Indirect() function, but my Excel 2007 help seems broken and I can't figure it out without an example. Thanks. MikeB With names in A2:A5 Enter in B1 =INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN(B1)) Or...

Change Row/Column Height & Width
I know I should be able to automatically set a row height to the max necessary by hovering the cursor between the 2 rows I want to adjust and double-clicking, but sometimes this doesn't always work. Why is that that - do I need to adjust a setting? And is there any way to set it so that if text is added or deleted the row height would change automatically so thatthe text fit appropriately? Set the row format to Autofit and cells to Wrap Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:14:04 -0700, DaveL <DaveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I should be ...

Microsoft CRM 1.2 database export failed 01-27-06
I am receiving this message when I try to upgrade my CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0, does any one have any idea what this means? ...

Ad Hoc Reporting #2
Hi, I am putting together an ad hoc report in Excel. My query is in the VB editor. I am trying to specify criteria Select x,y,z where... in the WHERE, I am struggling. I want to take a range of ids specified in the worksheet, F2:F55. So Select x, y, z where IDs IN ( F2:F55 ) I tried to use WHERE IN ( Range(F2:F55) ) but it did not like it. What syntax should I use to make this work? Thanks! ...

Reinstall #2
I am reinstalling Office 2003 on a new computer. I have installed the software but I the contact information and calendars, messages, notes etc have not transferred to the new one. How can I do that? ...

GetTextExtentPoint32 #2
Hi, I have multiple problems here :( I have a short text in UNICODE and the text contains newlines as well (carriage return and newline) and it seems that GetTextExtentPoint32 doesn't take into account the newlines. So I broke the lines myself and checked which has the longest length. Also, for the "int cbString" parameter, if my text is "hello" and I pass 5, then it doesn't return the current width. I have to send 6. Yes, I do select my font in the HDC before calling this. Other problem! Interline spacing issue Lines are separated by a certain mount of pixels...

Incoming Emails #2
Do I always have to click the "Send/Receive" button in order to get my new emails? No, you can go to TOOLS, then SEND/RECEIVE SETTINGS and then DEFINE SEND/RECEIVE SETTINGS and in the box's shown, you can tell Outlook to automatically send or receive your messages every XX mins. Tedd -- Tedd Riggs PDASquare Content Developer www.pdasquire.com "wj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88174331-72B4-4ECF-B688-DF745D9178EF@microsoft.com... > Do I always have to click the "Send/Receive" button in order to get my new emails? T...

column value translation
I'm sorry if this is already here somewhere, but I could't find any references. I need to upload a list of people into our computer system and this list is comprised of their names and the code for the branch where they work. The computer system into which I need to upload this list will not recognize the current branch ID code for those employees, but I do have a list that is basically a comparison of the two different codes. For example branch code 800 on the list equals branch code C001 in the system. I need to get a way in excel to convert all the branch codes that are next...

change column name from letters to numbers?
I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible? Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OoyPef$eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing ...

number of results columns doesnt match table defintion
This is the error I get when among other things, I try to print a financial report. Actually the error popup says "A get/change operation on table 'GL_Options_ROPT' failed accessing SQL data", the more button reveals the number of columns error description. This database was restored by copying the sql folder from a previous installation into the new servers sql folder. Thanks. shawn modersohn wrote: > This is the error I get when among other things, I try to print a > financial report. Actually the error popup says "A get/change operation > on ta...

outlook client problem #2
Hi I have a one user that have problem with outlook client are always prompt to login outlook 2007 crmclient V3C and have all patch install You might want to create a new profile for that client. Also check that they are running SQL 2005 Express on their desktop as opposed to an MSDE instance. Their was a shift in databases from 2000 to 2005 during the life of CRM v3.0 "sjm" wrote: > Hi > I have a one user that have problem with outlook client are always prompt to > login > outlook 2007 > crmclient V3C and have all patch install Hi sjm, Is the user also prom...

CTreeView #2
I use TVS_SHOWSELALWAYS style with the tree control. When the focus from the view is lost, the selection bar turns pale grey. Is there a way I could change the color of selection bar? Thanks in advance You may be able to use OnCustomDraw() to do this sort of thing. http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/tree_color.html http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/shareaza/shareaza/CtrlSharedFolder.cpp?rev=1.3 http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/newlistviewcontrolie40/article.php/c711/ Tom "RG" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eZSucQKrFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12...

Attachment security in Outlook 2003 #2
I had the same problem. I downloaded DetachOL form the link below and it fixed all my problems. You can choose different levels of security. Hope this helps http://www.mcdev.com/outlook.shtml ...