Renaming a column label

How do I rename the column header labels from "A", "B", etc. to
something else? Made a valiant effort. Can't figure it out.

Mike
--
DO NOT reply to the "from" address in this post.
Instead, construct a reply address from this

0
log1 (1)
9/15/2003 3:55:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Short answer: you don't - that capability (other than using numbers
- check the Tools/Options/General R1C1 reference style checkbox)
doesn't exist in XL.

Longer answer: If you hide the row and column headers
(Tools/Options/View) you can format Row 1 for column headers. You
can even use those labels in formulas, though it can get tricky: See
"About labels and names in formulas" in XL Help

In article <Hhl9b.264670$2x.71806@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>,
 Mike Warner <log@crap.com> wrote:

> How do I rename the column header labels from "A", "B", etc. to
> something else? Made a valiant effort. Can't figure it out.
>
> Mike
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

ADJUSTING COLUMNS
I have many worksheets and all have 3 columns but as I go thru each worksheet I notice that the columns are different widths. is there a way to adjust all columns in all worksheets at once? Just me, you could group the sheets, right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets, adjust the column widths, this will adjust them on all sheets, right click on the sheet tab and ungroup sheets -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 200...

Using Countif with multiple criteria in the same column.
I need to count different criteria from the same column. For example, under the column Names, the criteria for one breakout might be Tom, Beth, John, Roger; the next breakout might be Joe, Sue, Randy, Bob. Assuming you want a count of "Ted" plus "Bob" you could use a formula similar to this. =COUNTIF(C14:C19,"Ted")+COUNTIF(C14:C19,"Bob") -- rsenn ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29050 View this thread: http://www.excelfor...

Several column headers have a $ following name, what?
Our research data is on Excel worksheets. The many columns have text headers which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$. What does the $ signify - Does the $ have to do with the data having been imported from a another program? This may be due to importing. Most programs use the "$" symbol to indicate that the data allowed in that field is a string. "rdavidson" wrote: > Our research data is on Excel worksheets. The many columns have text headers > which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$. What > does...

Column headings
My permanent column headings are numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and not letters (A, B, C, etc.), so i have numbers both across the top and down the left-hand side. How do I change them to letters so that I can enter formulae? Select Tools>Options>General Tab and uncheck R1C1 reference style. -- Karthi "MaddyP" wrote: > My permanent column headings are numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and not letters (A, > B, C, etc.), so i have numbers both across the top and down the left-hand > side. How do I change them to letters so that I can enter formulae? Thank you s...

Last Paid column in Bills & Deposits
Has anyone else noticed that the "Last Paid" column in Bills & Deposits doesn't always reflect the correct date of the last payment? Is there a way to fix this? I have Money 2004 Small Business. - Glen ...

Chart Data Table
This probably seems a trivial question but I really can't work it out! Each day I plot a specific currency rate with the date. I have two charts on a worksheet. One shows the graph since I started in 2003 and the other just the current year. When I add data I click on the appropriate graph and a blue rectangle encloses the currency data and a mauve one the dates. Here is my problem - on one chart, when I drag the adjoining handles at the bottom of the table to move it to enclose the new data BOTH rectangles move together however on the other chart only ONE moves so I have to drag t...

Placein the value of a combo Box column into a text box
This should be easy! Here is the code... Private Sub Combo18_AfterUpdate() Me![SchoolID] = Me!Combo18.Column(1) Me![Counselor Name] = Me!Combo18.Column(2) End Sub The problem is that it will not accept the first line: Me![SchoolID] = Me!Combo18.Column(1) If I move it around it is perfectly willing to place the counselor's name into the correct text box, but for the schoolID it says I have to save the record first. Anyone have any idea why??? I've checked and rechecked spelling, properties, etc! Thanks for any help you can give. On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:52:02 -0800, Betsy <B...

Sort Columns?
Can it be done? Bob Hi - select your data range - goto 'Data - sort' - click 'Options' and choose 'Columns' instead of 'Rows' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bob Newman wrote: > Can it be done? > > Bob Thanx. Bob "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message news:OEmxF9y8DHA.2480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi > - select your data range > - goto 'Data - sort' > - click 'Options' and choose 'Columns' instead of 'Rows' > > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel...

Changing Header Label
I have a report "rptStandard" that is filtered by specific criteria buttons on a form. For example on Form = frmSwitchboard there is a button cmdOpenReportByStatus with the following code Private Sub cmdOpenReportByStatus_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdOpenReportByStatus_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim strWhere As String stDocName = "rptStandard" strWhere = "1=1 " If Not IsNull(Me.cboProjectStatus) Then strWhere = strWhere & " And [strProjectStatus]= """ & _ Me.cboProjectStatus & "&qu...

multi stacked column chart
Using Excel 2003, I need to show monthly work orders...one stacked column should show work orders opened (for high, medium and low priority status) and another stacked column should show work orders closed (for high, medium and low priority status).....on the same chart. I can't get two stacked columns on the same chart...the six pieces of data stack in one column. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Try setting the data up similar to this: Open Closed High 4 2 Medium 6 4 Low 5 3 In step 1 of the Chart Wizard, choose the stacked column chart. In step 2 of the Chart Wi...

How to decrease tick mark labels in Area/Line combo chart?
I have an area/scatter line combo chart. I'm plotting weeks for two years on the X axis. It's actually consists of 2 columns of data. Column B will have the weeks as 1,2,3, and 4 then the same number again 1,2,3,4. While col A will show the period (every 4 weeks = one period) for a total of 13 period for the first year and the same for the second year. Plotting 104 weeks on the X axis makes it hard to see/read. I couldn't adjust the 'number of categories between tick mark lables', I guess because the chart contains area type. I have tried to add a dummy scatter line...

How to add % to columns with dollar value data table.
I want to add % to a column chart but my series contains dates and value has a dollar amount that needs to be in the data table. Please clarify with examples of the data. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Richardson" <Richardson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEB00851-448D-41C2-AE5A-3070EAEB2FC5@microsoft.com... >I want to add % to a column chart but my series contains dates and value >has > a dollar amount that needs to be in the data table. ...

can I increase excel column numbers to more than 256?
I am trying to analyse tables including more than 256 variables. I cannot transpose them into rows because the program i am using in association with excel (xlstat) takes the columns as the variables. Is there a way to increase the number of the columns?? or is it a fixed specification of the excel worksheet? thank for any help! Yes, it is fixed - you cannot increase the number of columns. You can, of course, split your data up into chunks of 250 columns - the first block of data on row 1, for example, then the next set starting on another row etc. Pete ...

Easy way to delete columns?
I've got a workbook with 5 sheets in it. Each sheet has a large number of columns. On some of the columns, there is no data on the whole sheet except for row 1 (the header, or title of the column). Is there an easy way I can tell Excel to remove the columns that have no data on any row (except row 1)? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if there is some backend interface or "language" (like SQL maybe?) or something that could take care of something such as this. -ee99ee On each sheet, assuming you can use row 2 to determine delete / not delete based on blank / not blank. S...

Not allow entering repeated references in a column
Hi Frank, - BEFORE entering the formula in the data validation dialog, I�v selected the cells from A1 to A25 - which values? well ... I�ve tried numbers (2,3, ..) just to certif if it was working ... & once I�ve typed the first number ... the erro message appeared. Thanks for your time, Ritinh -- ritinh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ritinha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27195 Hi if you like email me your file and I'll ha...

summarizing and finding the max value within a row over 52 column
In an Access database query I have a table/ query with values per week (52 weeks), shown in 52 columns. I can't find the right way to find to the summary; average and Max -value within a row. As I do have next to none knowledge of visual basic, and I can't find the solution within the design grid, I'm looking for some help on this subject. Thanks in advance. Hans, You need to seriously rethink your table structure. Each of your weekly values should actually be in a single colum, with an additional column to indicate the week that the value is for, so instead of: ID ...

Printing Columns on Same Page
I have a sheet with 5 rows and 100 columns of data, and I want to print them in Portrait View. I would like the first 10 columns to print on page 1, followed by the second 10 columns on page 1, followed by the second 10 columns on page 1, etc...until there is no more room on the physical page, in which case, it will break and continue printing the remaining columns as described above on the next page (2), etc. If this is possible, how is it done? If you change to the "page break view" you can adjust your page breaks easily on the screen. View --> Page Break Preview -- Ho...

Data Label Leader Lines
I have chosen to display data label leader lines on my pie chart, saved and closed the file, but when I go back, the leader lines are no longer visible. Suggestions? Hi, What version of Excel are you using? It often seems that if you turn the leader line option on Excel will not display the lines if it figures the label's position makes it self explanitory. If you drag the data labels one at a time to slightly different postions the should display. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "nh" wrote: > I have chosen to display ...

Change table text column lookup list
I must add a column using vba and need to change the lookup list. Using: Set tdf = DB.TableDefs("TableName") Set fld = tdf.CreateField("FieldName", dbText, 50) tdf.Fields.Append fld tdf.Fields.Refresh The FieldName column need a lookup list whose Display Control is a combo box row source type is a value list row source consists of a list as in Item1;Item2;Itemn... Can this be done using VBA when the column is created. -- RobGMiller RobGMiller wrote: >I must add a column using vba and need to change the lookup list. > >Using: ...

Multi-column Tree?
Hi! Can anyone recommend a free multi-column tree control? I found several shareware/commercial ones (like ExTree), but none that is completely free to use. (Sorry, double-posted to vc.activex.templatelib, but I think this question belongs here) Search www.codeguru.com, www.codeproject.com for such classes. "arca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3f6b01c3e343$817e2df0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi! Can anyone recommend a free multi-column tree control? > I found several shareware/commercial ones (like ExTree), > but none that is completely ...

keyword used a table column ID
In the Purchase Order table 'To' is used a field identifier. I have tried quotes and being specific, but I still get errors for the use of the keyword. Is there someone who can explain how I can write this statement to insert the To field Thanks [To] -- -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "eslinden" <eslinden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

split column into 4 columns
I need some assitance making a huge column into 4 columns. Here is the scenerio: Col A has any given rows of values / text. and I need to split into 4 columns But this is where it gets tricky. a1 =a a2=b a3=c a4=d a5=e a6=f a7=g etc... I need b1=a, c1=b, d1=c, e1=d b2=e, c2=f, d2=g, etc.. What is the best way to do this? Put this in B1: =OFFSET($A$1,4*(ROW()-1)+COLUMN()-2,0) drag across to fill B1:e1 and drag down until you run out of data. Jack wrote: > > I need some assitance making a huge column into 4 columns. Here is the > scenerio: > Col A has any given rows of value...

Combobox: value from third in stead of first column
I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows, the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have the combobox get the value of the third column? I tried changing the 'dependent' column property to 3 but that doesn't help. Thanks in advance, John "John" <john@smith.com> wrote in message news:fngek7$km7$1@textnews.wanadoo.nl... >I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows, >the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have >the combobox ge...

CRecordset getting ambiguous column error upon SQLGetData to SQL Server 2000
I have a CRecordset with the following SELECT statement used for opening the initial query: CString CEmailList::GetDefaultSQL() { return _T("SELECT el.CompID, el.Email, Subject, el.FormID, Field0, Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4, Field5, Field6, Field7, Field8, Field9, Attachments, Attachment, FormDocument") _T(" FROM [dbo].[Email_List] el") _T(" LEFT OUTER JOIN [dbo].[Email_Forms] ef ON (ef.FormID=el.FormID)") _T(" LEFT OUTER JOIN [dbo].[Email_Attachments] ea ON (Attachments=1 AND ea.CompID=el.CompID AND ea.Email=el.Emai...

Data Validation
In Access, I can have a drop down list based on another table and can show several fields within that dropdown list but the value selected is based on one field. For Example, (in Access) a drop down list may show: 721 SERVICE DEPARTMENT, but only the value 721 may be input into the value selected. Is there a way this can be done with the data validation within Excel? I have a spreadsheet given to users as a type of electronic form that is sent back to me for consolidation. The users need more explanation than I do; I already know that 721 is the SERVICE DEPARTMENT. I did have two separate ...