Rename name so formulas show name change

Excel 2003

Cell A1 is named MyCell.
Cell A2 has formula "=MyCell".

I rename cell A1 in the toolbar to NewCell.
Cell A2 still has the formula "=MyCell".

How do I rename cell A1 to NewCell and have
it automatically change cell A2 to the formula "=NewCell"?

Thank you for your help.

0
no.email1 (31)
11/3/2006 6:52:38 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Download Jan Karel Pieterse'e Name Manager here:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/OfficeMarketPlaceNM-EN.asp

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"John" <no.email@no.email.com> wrote in message news:ORne6k3$GHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
| Excel 2003
|
| Cell A1 is named MyCell.
| Cell A2 has formula "=MyCell".
|
| I rename cell A1 in the toolbar to NewCell.
| Cell A2 still has the formula "=MyCell".
|
| How do I rename cell A1 to NewCell and have
| it automatically change cell A2 to the formula "=NewCell"?
|
| Thank you for your help.

0
nicolaus (2022)
11/3/2006 7:06:01 PM
Niek

Thank you for the link to Name Manager.
It does exactly what I need!

John

0
no.email1 (31)
11/3/2006 7:48:57 PM
Following is what Microsoft have to said about Changing and Deleting a Define
Name.

Change or delete a defined name
On the Insert menu, point to Name, and then click Define.
In the Names in workbook list, click the name you want to change.
Do one of the following:
Change the name
Type the new name for the reference, and then click Add.
Click the original name, and then click Delete.
Change the cell, formula, or constant represented by a name
Change it in the Refers to box.

Delete the name
Click Delete.

According to me, after renaming a Name, you have to manually change each and
every formula. After changing a name, I always use Find and Replace command
for changes to take effect.

"John" wrote:

> Niek
>
> Thank you for the link to Name Manager.
> It does exactly what I need!
>
> John

0
RajKohli (10)

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Territory Change

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

Renaming Partial File Names

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Shortcut for inserting names?
Hi, I am building many formulas, each with many named cells as part of it. Currently I have to go to Insert | Name | Paste with the mouse each time I want to insert a name. I looked in Walkenbach's Excel Bible but couldn't find any mention of a keyboard shortcut or other shortcut. Is there one I could take advantage of? I've got Excel 2002. Thanks, Jamie ...

Changing language

Need to add to current formula

Doesn't show busy,when scheduling meeting
Hello I have a user, who has meetings scheduled and shows up in her Calendar fine. But, when she or someone else tries to schedule new meeting, invite her, it doesn't show her busy schedule. It indicates as if she is available all time. Secondly, when she edits the meeting and marks as "Out of Office", than it shows up as busy. Her Out of Office is Off. Outlook 2000 with Exchange corporate setup. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Formula Problem?
I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP. I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook. I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook. I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the sheet 2. I know how to do this. It just won't work. This is a copy of my formula. =SUM(Employees!C3) This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and place it at the cell where the formula is typed. When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0". Please help. =Employees!C3 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten...