Removing Hyperlink from an Excel Spreadsheet

Hi,

Everytime I enter a URL into an Excel spreadsheet, it turns this into a
hyperlink.  I can remove this by right clicking and selecting the Remove
Hyperlink option, but is there any way this can be done without having to do
this each time?

Thanks

Greg Matthews

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi greg,

Go to Tools-->Auto Correct and on the AutoFormat As You Type tab uncheck
"Internet and network paths with hyperlinks."

HTH,
Katherine

"Greg Matthews" <greg.matthews2000@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Everytime I enter a URL into an Excel spreadsheet, it turns this into a
> hyperlink.  I can remove this by right clicking and selecting the Remove
> Hyperlink option, but is there any way this can be done without having to
do
> this each time?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg Matthews

You can turn off this feature in Excel 2002:
    Tools>AutoCorrect Options, 'AutoFormat as you Type' tab

In earlier versions, you can type an apostrophe at the beginning of the
email address:
    'name@domain.com
The apostrophe won't be visible in the worksheet

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

why wont an excel doc open with new msn office
i have just got a new comp with the new microsoft woeks on it, word doc if differant, and a few other things but an excel doc was sent to me an it will not open it ???????? Hi MS Works is a 'light' version of Office, containing a 'light' version of Excel and a 'light' version of Word. You cannot open Excel or Word files with Works. You'll have to get the files saved as .csv or .txt or a Works file to be able to open them with Works. Andy. "peterk4" <peterk4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53597904-F529-4E67-BC56-D957C375779...

excel pivot table with sql query and visual basic macros
I have a pivot table that runs off a sql query, it has macros and parameters built into the report. It worked until the client updated their server and db software. When debugging this, on the module under the closedb it stops here: Sub CloseDB() 'IF CONNECTION IS OPEN IT NEEDS TO BE CLOSED SO AN ERROR IS NOT THROWN If rsData.State = 1 Then rsData.Close Set rsData = Nothing End If cnData.Close Set cnData = Nothing Set Cmd = Nothing End Sub Thanks ...

Hyperlink Information
For the active cell, how do you get the target URL information out in VBA. E.g. Cell A1 text is "Microsoft" Cell A1 Hyperlink is http://www.microsoft.com How do you get out the target URL http://www.microsoft.com Activell.Hyperlink(1).????? I have tried various options and nothing works for me. Any help would be welcome. The Insert Hyperlink dialog box allows you to enter 'Text to display' which will be shown in the cell in Excel. The hyperlink url will be hidden if you enter something different in the Text to display box, though it will still work as before. &...

Excel 2002 Create Workbook (merge/reformat)?
I have 12 seperate spreadsheets I want to combine into 1 workbook (12 tabs). Any other alternative ways to do this other than copy and paste? Need to reformat "most" of the worksheets, I assume this can be done if all 12 tabs are selected. I may have to do this several times otherwise I would just copy and paste. Each spreadsheet has an average of 3k-4k transactions. You can open the workbook, ctrl-click on the worksheet tab and drag that worksheet into another workbook. (Then close that "sending" workbook and open the next...) ~Dave~ wrote: > > I have 1...

Excel 97-remove link but keep data
Hi guys, I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and remove the linked reference from showing in the current s/s. Any ideas how to do this instead of me changing each linked reference? Thanks in advance! search for .xls or [ or ] to see if you can find the formulas that contain links to other workbooks. Van wrote: > > Hi guys, > > I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would > like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and rem...

Excel file takes a long time to save
I have a 1,000 x 15 straight worksheet with no formulas - about 100K. I went to auto-format a pattern, but didn't select the area and if formatted the entire spreadsheet. It's since gone from 5 seconds to 60 seconds per save and I can't reverse this, even by changing the auto-format setting to "none." I'm backed-up, but the current version is about three hours ahead and it will take longer to retrace the work by hand. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ben Try resetting the last used cell. Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Un...

Removal of original mailbox store
I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like to remove the original mailbox store that was created during the original installation because I have moved all of the mailboxes to other mailboxe stores. Is there a way to do this? If I can't remove it, is there a way to safely perform an offline defragmentation of the message store. Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Midwest Muskie On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:29:05 -0800, "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like...

Remove "don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"?
I'm editing a document that was created by someone else. Somewhere along the way, under format/paragraph options, they clicked the box called "don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." I want to un-click it, but the box is greyed out (showing the checkmark there) and I can't un-click it...and it's screwing up my formatting! Does anyone know how to find this rogue command & remove it? This option is not available for individual paragraphs, only for styles. You must go to the Modify Style dialog to change it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill M...

Using Excel 2000 as Data source for Word 2000 document
Problem using Mail Merge using Word 2000 & Excel 2000. After numerous problems - Word failed to connect to Data Souce file then it would & then it wouldn't and so on - reasons which are unknown! The 106 records in 19 fields from the Excel Data Source are only transferring the information for the first 104 records. I am looking to add further records but obviously need to overcome this problem. Hi Malcolm- Obvious, perhaps, but are you certain that the records are in consecutive rows & no vacant columns separating the fields of data? Does the data range contain any Merge...

Excel design questions
Hi, I'm a new to excel. I'm assigned task to perform creating charts based on the following data. I explored little bit from web about the capabilities of excel, but few areas I'm not still quite sure about how to get it working. - Is it possible to have advanced filter to automatically refresh if the data is changed on which the filter is acting on?? Do I need to write maro for this?? - If i have a column with data (different types of tree names, ex: Apple, Apple, Maple, Grape,Grape..etc - name is repeatable). Can I uniquely get the name of all the different tree names automati...

Excel 2000 #9
Is there a way to change the date format in footers and headers.?.these two items do not seem to pick up the formatting specified for the individual cells. David H. David Excel in any version uses the Short Date format from Windows Regional settings in headers/footers. You can make some minor changes in Regional settings but not too much. How about a macro to add the date in any format you choose? Sub DateInFooter() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.CenterFooter = Format(Date, "dddd, mmmm-dd-yyyy") End With End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 Feb 2008...

Excel Crash

Multi-User Excel File on a Network Drive
How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple users concurrently? With all able to make and save changes to the same file. Thanks, Mike "Mike" wrote > How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple > users concurrently? With all able to make and save > changes to the same file. Tools / Share Workbook Jordon ...

Inserting Rows in Excel
I have a spreadsheet with a unique identifier for each customer, Customer Information File (CIF). Whenever this number changes, I want to automatically insert a blank row. This will merely making the the spreadsheet more pleasing to the eye to read. Keep in mind, there may not be a break in CIF for 1 to 15 lines, but whenever this CIF number changes, I want a new blank row. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! David David Macro solution OK? Sub InsertRow_At_Change() Dim i As Long With Application .Calculation = xlManual .ScreenUpdating = False End With ...

eSata hot-plug but not hot-swap, safely remove
I have AHCI enabled on an Asrock 890GX Extreme3 but can't see Safely Remove Hardware icon. Disks connected on eSata supporting AHCI and NCQ are recognized but I can't find a safe way to disconnect them, I can just go into diskmgmt.msc and put them "offline", or shutdown. Driver is "amd ahci compatible raid controller", and AND RAIDxpress correctly notifies plug and unplug, but I can't set external drives as removable. I also tried the other compatible drivers for the controller with same result: - AMD sata controller - standard AHCI 1.0 controller ...

Removing the first "Mailbox Store"
Is there a Q article regarding removal of the first Mailbox Store? I rememebered that this was possible and took a little tinkering to transfer the SA mailbox to another mailbox store. I would like to remove the first mailbox store from the server and leave the three new ones up. If you can help or offer suggestions, that would be great! Thanks, Bob Found the answer... it contains some config information that needs to be moved. Thus, I renamed it. Bob "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message news:OMlBZCzjEHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >...

Use Excel to update Outlook address book
hi all... Is there a way to update outlook address book using excel? Is there a macro available for it? Thank you for your answers Mike ...

Compress an Excel File
I have an excel file that is 36 meg. Do you know how to compress the file? When I zip the file it drops to 3meg so I know it can be compressed. I beleive the file has become large due to the constent changes I need to make to the file. Help Please. Hi Mandy Maybe this will help? http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused You can use Rob Bovey's Code cleaner to clean up your code http://www.appspro.com/utilities/utilities.asp -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Mandy" <mangelo@arbys.com> wrote in message news:42c401c47fa1$ddc405d0$a401280a@...

Tracking an email when sent directly from Excel
I often use the feature File>Send To>Mail Reciepient (as attachment) when I'm working in an Excel Workbook. However I can never find any record of this in Outlook, or anywhere else. Is there a way so this gets recorded in Outlook, or can you tell me where I can find some record of the email and its contents. Thank you, On May 18, 7:23=A0pm, Rob <robfl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I often use the feature File>Send To>Mail Reciepient (as attachment) > when I'm working in an Excel Workbook. =A0However I can never find any > record of this in Outloo...

Diable excel macro for DATES
Hi, everytime i copy and paste from a website in this format XX/YY excel sees it as a DATE. how can i disable this feature..I just want t paste it as its raw form of XX/YY. When i cut and paste it in my exce and try to change the format by using TExt. it comes up with rubbis numbers. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com try formatting, as text, before you import -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "evo >" <<evo.18vufd@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:evo.18vufd@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > > everytime i copy ...

Reading Excel Checkboxes in Access
Hi All I created a spreadsheet with checkboxes (controls) on it for reporting purposes. I now need to import the data contained on the spreadsheets into Access. The data is not laid out in neat columns or rows, it was formated to be a stand alone report originally. My problem is not in reading cells within the spreadsheet, I'm able to do that. My issue is that I can't tell if a checkbox is checked or not. What I've done: If I execute the following code in Excel I return a boolean partAM = CheckBox15.Value I return true or false Here is my access code: Set xlapp = New Excel....

make excel files with same names to be opened at one time
It is very difficult to work if you want to compare changed data made in the file with old one ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=cde27763-1bc7-4299-874f-ac53e066ae7a&dg=microsoft.public....

Remove PC from Domain
Hello all I have a PC attached to the domain, I have 2 local accounts: User50 (local) User50 /DOMAIN I need to conserve both accounts. My question are: 1) if I remove from the domain, the DOMAIN/USER50 account will be lost? 2) If the account still in the PC how can I access to both accounts Thanks in advanced! Hello Don, If the machine is removed from the domain you cannot logon with the domain/user50 account anymore. Only a local administrator can access the documents and settings folder from the account. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This...

No data in dynamic spreadsheet
Hi One of our users is using the MS CRM 3.0 web client and terminal services. When this users exports a dynamic excel spreadsheet and enables automatic refresh no data is visible in the spreadsheet. The user is using Office 2003 and is able to view all records in CRM so the permissions are correct. Anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? Static excel spreadsheets display data. Does the user need to connect to the SQL database in some way? Appreciate your assistance. Thanks Mark When the spreadsheet is opened, check if there is a message at the top asking to unlock the ...

Why does my excel chart appear in gray when I copy it?
I want to copy an excel chart into powerpoint. It is a simple column chart. However the columns contain a color gradient. When I copy the chart to the clipoard, the columns turn into gray. This problem however does not occur on other computers using the same excel version (2003). Hi batman, There are about 30 ways to copy and paste charts from Excel into PowerPoint. The problem you are describing is not one I have heard of - namely that it works on one machine but not another. However, you could try a different method of copying. For example - you can use the Camera tool to copy a ...