Removing Excess Digits From Cells

I have two lists of numbers that I'd like to use to join two tables in
Access.

One list has an extra "Check Digit" at the end.

I'd like to know how to remove the "Check Digit".

(It may not matter but one of the characters in the list of "numbers"
is a letter.)

I tried to "Format Cells" by typing in one less ###-##-#### but it did
not do anything.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Raquel,

try using the formula =LEFT(E6;1) for a column next to the
list and use E6 for every cell... so you get rid of the
last digit.

Best

Markus

0
anonymous (74722)
2/16/2005 7:16:34 AM
Raquel,

if your list of numbers is actually alpha based, =left will work,  if
it is number based, try using =trunc(e6/10) with e6 being the reference
to the column where your original numbers are

HTH
Chris

0
chrisr1 (29)
2/16/2005 6:11:33 PM
Chris Rogers wrote:
> Raquel,
>
> if your list of numbers is actually alpha based, =left will work,  if
> it is number based, try using =trunc(e6/10) with e6 being the
reference
> to the column where your original numbers are
>
> HTH
> Chris

Where do I type that formula in?
What does the number 6 have to do with it does that mean "remove the
sixth number from the left"?
Here's what the numbers look like and I have to get rid of the last
digit (the numbers are in column B):

100-02-018B0
100-02-020A8
100-04-021A3
100-04-034D2
100-04-03707
100-07-01100
100-07-019C6
100-08-002F6
100-08-004C1
100-08-004D9
100-08-015G9

Assume they start in B2 going down, put this formula in a help column

=LEFT(TRIM(B2),LEN(TRIM(B2))-1)

copy down the formula as long as needed by dragging the lower right corner
of the cell
with the mouse, then select the help formula range (high light),
copy, then do edit>paste special as values. Now you can copy and paste the
stripped values over the old if needed

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Raquel666" <sixsixsixismoney@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Chris Rogers wrote:
>> Raquel,
>>
>> if your list of numbers is actually alpha based, =left will work,  if
>> it is number based, try using =trunc(e6/10) with e6 being the
> reference
>> to the column where your original numbers are
>>
>> HTH
>> Chris
>
> Where do I type that formula in?
> What does the number 6 have to do with it does that mean "remove the
> sixth number from the left"?
> Here's what the numbers look like and I have to get rid of the last
> digit (the numbers are in column B):
>
> 100-02-018B0
> 100-02-020A8
> 100-04-021A3
> 100-04-034D2
> 100-04-03707
> 100-07-01100
> 100-07-019C6
> 100-08-002F6
> 100-08-004C1
> 100-08-004D9
> 100-08-015G9

0
terre081 (3244)
2/17/2005 3:35:39 AM
You could use "Text To Columns".
That way, the result is "actual " data, and not the return of a formula,
where the formula would have to be subsequently removed.

Select the data, then:
<Data> <Text To Columns>
Check "Fixed Width", then <Next>
Click in the "Data Preview" window to place the "break line" to the left of
the last character, then <Next>
Click in the second column of the "Preview" window to select it (black)
Then click on "Do Not Import Column"
You'll see the column header change to "Skip Column"
Then <Finish>

This *changes* your original datalist to the new configuration.

With your original data in Column A, if you would like to preserve the
original datalist, and perhaps move the new configuration to another column,
*before* you click the final <Finish>, change the default address in the
"Destination" box to say D1, or K1, or whatever.
--
HTH,

RD

"Raquel666" <sixsixsixismoney@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Chris Rogers wrote:
> > Raquel,
> >
> > if your list of numbers is actually alpha based, =left will work,  if
> > it is number based, try using =trunc(e6/10) with e6 being the
> reference
> > to the column where your original numbers are
> >
> > HTH
> > Chris
>
> Where do I type that formula in?
> What does the number 6 have to do with it does that mean "remove the
> sixth number from the left"?
> Here's what the numbers look like and I have to get rid of the last
> digit (the numbers are in column B):
>
> 100-02-018B0
> 100-02-020A8
> 100-04-021A3
> 100-04-034D2
> 100-04-03707
> 100-07-01100
> 100-07-019C6
> 100-08-002F6
> 100-08-004C1
> 100-08-004D9
> 100-08-015G9

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/17/2005 9:29:25 AM
IT WORKED! Waaaaaaaaaaaay Coooooooooooool! You guys are wizards.

THANKS!

Peo Sjoblom wrote:
> Assume they start in B2 going down, put this formula in a help column

I created a "help column" in column "C" and pasted the formula in the
formula bar then brought it down. (There are about 30,000 numbers in
the list.)

> =LEFT(TRIM(B2),LEN(TRIM(B2))-1)
>
> copy down the formula as long as needed by dragging the lower right
corner
> of the cell
> with the mouse, then select the help formula range (high light),
> copy, then do edit>paste special as values. Now you can copy and
paste the
> stripped values over the old if needed
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Raquel666" <sixsixsixismoney@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Chris Rogers wrote:
> >> Raquel,
> >>
> >> if your list of numbers is actually alpha based, =left will work,
if
> >> it is number based, try using =trunc(e6/10) with e6 being the
> > reference
> >> to the column where your original numbers are
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Chris
> >
> > Where do I type that formula in?
> > What does the number 6 have to do with it does that mean "remove
the
> > sixth number from the left"?
> > Here's what the numbers look like and I have to get rid of the last
> > digit (the numbers are in column B):
> >
> > 100-02-018B0
> > 100-02-020A8
> > 100-04-021A3
> > 100-04-034D2
> > 100-04-03707
> > 100-07-01100
> > 100-07-019C6
> > 100-08-002F6
> > 100-08-004C1
> > 100-08-004D9
> > 100-08-015G9

In macros, an instruction that returns the position of the Active Cell
In a macro, how can I make it return the position of the Active Cell Colum & Line. Or how can I set that position as a Condition; e.g. �If ActiveCell i B7 Then�.� Or �If ActiveCell belongs to Column G Then�.� Thanks in advance for any help. AC -- ac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- aca's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=385 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187368645 Hi Sub test() Dim ws1 As Worksheet Set ws1 = Workbooks("Tester.xls").Sheets("Sheet2") With ws1 MsgBox ("Cell address is &qu...

Removing Unwanted Links
Is there a method of simply removing external links from Excel spreadsheets. It seems that unwanted links can creep in as a result of copying portions of spreadsheets. They can't be found using ! in spreadsheets with multiple sheets as individual sheets within the spreadsheet are also identified with an !. Is there any other way of identifying the link. Better yet, if the link is doing nothing (which it must be in the case with which I am dealing) is there no way of simply deleting the link? J. Heseltine, It sounds like you'll want to do this on a regular basis?? If so, chec...

a cell contains both text and number
how do i make a calculation if a cell has text and a number. Example the cell says "3 weeks" I want to calculate 3 weeks to read in the next column as "120 hours" =LEFT(A1,1)*1*40&" hours" Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "text and formulas" <text and formulas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8C17645-DAFF-455A-B144-5B936B97ADCE@microsoft.com... > how do i make a calculation if a cell has text and a number. Example the cell > says "3 weeks" I want to calculate 3 weeks to read in the next column as "120 &g...

How Can I Make The Cursor go to the last letter of the cell?
I have a paragraph in the cell and I want to know how to make the cursor go to the end of the paragraph without clicking on it or using sendkey {f2}{end}{right} Thanks! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ anyone? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I do not think this is possible without substantial coding. Although i...

how to remove password pretected excel file
Hi, We use Excel 2003 on Windows XP. We have an user left company with a excel file password protected. My boss want to open it. How can I help my boss open this file? Any help will be appreciated! thanks in advance! Lisa In article <3A1869D6-5D90-47FC-AED7-C0170EB1C159@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?TGlzYQ==?= <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >We use Excel 2003 on Windows XP. We have an user left company with a excel >file password protected. My boss want to open it. How can I help my boss open >this file? > >Any help will be appreciated! Se...

VB- If first cell with formula is blank, all cells in column returns blank.
Hi all, I am using ADO to connect to an excel sheet and display the data in vb form. In excel there is a column named "TAT" which has a formula t add two othe cell values to it. If any of the two cells is blank the the TAT col remains blank. If the very first cell in the TAT column has some value then VB showa all cell values in that column. But if the first cell is empty then al cells in tat column are shown blank, even if there are values in othe cells. What's the solution for this? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Of course you can try with some...

Cell Values
I would like to return the value of another cell(C1) if a cell has a value in it, otherwise I want it to return a value of 0. Example: IF(A1="any value",C1,0) This formula would be written in B1. "Any value" would be numbers or text. Thanks 4 your help!!! Try: =IF(A1<>"",C1,0) or =IF(ISBLANK(A1),0,C1) Good Luck, Mark Graesser "GaryW" <gary.wicker@acadiapolymers.com> wrote in message news:040b01c34721$41fe8d00$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to return the value of another cell(C1) if a > cell has a value in it, otherwise I...

Having Formatting Remain on "Called" cell using IF function
I'm using an IF function to call some other cells, but I want to have the various words color coded, eg ("Certified" is green, "Recertify" is yellow, and "Not Certified" is red). I have the IF function working correctly, but when it "calls" the cell to have it display the appropriate word, the color of each word is not brought along with it...only the text. Is there a way to be able to color code it so that the appropriate color appears? Thanks! -- Zaraf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Zaraf's Profi...

Some cells do not recognize email address
Some of the ceels in my worksheet recognize email addresses so I can click on them and send an email. Other cells do not. the format is right. How do a get a cell to recognize an email address? Not knowing exactly what you have in those cells, expect they are complete email addresses, what version of Excel, and your options would suggest the following: If you have Excel 2002 (Excel XL) or higher: you can suppress hyperlink generation under the Auto Correct from the Tools menu. Tools (menu), Autocorrect Options, Autoformat as you type (Tab). so you want to do the opposite. Next...

Calculate to another cell as default value
Hi. Given the following: A B C 1 5 9 __ 2 8 10 __ I'd like for the user to enter values in A and B and have Excel display B minus A in C as a DEFAULT value. That is, for row 1, once the user enters 9 in B, I want to display 4 in C but give the user the option to override the calculation. A formula in C won't work because the user would delete the formula if he overrides it. Thanx. I don't Why not use an extra column (C) and have this formula in D: =IF(C1="",B1-A1,C1) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "...

Last cell in new formula
Can anyone please help? The code: Sub test() Dim x As Range Worksheets("sheet1").Activate Set x = Cells(Rows.Count, "N").End(xlUp) MsgBox x.Address End Sub I would like to find the last cell in column N and instead of the result being displayed in A msgbox, I would like to use the cell address in a formula after the code above e.g.: range("b2").formula = _ "sumproduct((N8:LASTCELLADDRESS>=0)*(N8:LASTCELLADDRESS<=1000)) Hi, Try this Dim LASTCELLADDRESS As Long LASTCELLADDRESS = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "...

concatenate cells from a column and paste to a cell
I'm trying to write a macro that will loop through a column and copy the data to a single concatenated string which will be pasted to another cell. The macro should step through the column of data until it reaches the end of the data set or an empty cell. I could name a range if needed. Any help getting me started???? The concatenate( ) function won't work with ranges..., so I assume I'll have to write a macro to loop. This will do it, but you may not be happy with the results since the resulting text string may be longer than Excel allows. This code runs from the cel...

Splitting Data in a cell, left or right of a separator.
I need to split some data in a cell to the right of a separator, which is a colon. eg: "CONSUMABLE:HPC92298X" Would someone be able to point me in the right direction.. many thanks, Ross One way is to use Data > Text to Columns Select the column Click Data > Text to columns (Delimited) Click Next In step 2: Type a colon in the "Other:" box Click Finish -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "ross" <ross_anderson57@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01AD4975-1539-411E-B5D8-04B569268783@microsoft.c...

In Excel is it possible to hide a row condtional upon a cell val..
In Excel is it possible to hide a row condtional upon a cell value? with a macro yes,or you could format white text and all values would disapear. -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "Louise" wrote: > In Excel is it possible to hide a row condtional upon a cell value? The white text makes the text disappear, but not the entire row or column of cells. With a macro, is it possible to make the cells automatically unhide then if the data becomes relevant again due to changes? "paul" wrote: > with a macro yes,or you could format white text and all values woul...

Removing BLANK rows in Excel
WinXP Pro with Excel XP: How can I remove blank rows where there's nothing in any of the 12 columns that might contain data? The data has one row of valid data and then a blank row, alternating for about 5000+ rows. I'm receiving a file that, apparently, has a CRLF and giving me an extra row for each row with valid (useable) data. The supplier of the data can't strip off the CRLF. Without manually removing each blank row (row #s: 2,4,6,8 etc) each import from the *.csv file how can this be done automatically from within Excel? [The file is used weekly to migrate/update data fr...

Can not Remove Locitech stuff in XP Add/Remove
I have two entries in XP Add/Remove, "Logitech Desktop Messenger" and "Logitech Camera Driver". I have tried all the tricks that I can find including going into the Registry, but nothing will get rid of them. I would appreciate any tips that you may have to offer. ...

date and time in 2 cells to create subtraction in 3rd
I have 2 cells that are in the format line of A1: 27/06/2006 9:42:00 pm B1: 7/06/2006 9:52:05 pm Want third column C1: 00:10 I wish to subtract the two cells to get the difference in time i.e 10:00 (only interested in nearest minute) Then a average at the end of the column of the the times in this 3rd column as a result of the difference between the 2 times. How would I do this? I could do it if it was just numbers but once it is in this time/dtae format I am completely lost! Thanks MIke Hi Mike, =MOD(B1,1)-MOD(A1,1) Format as Time You can use the AVERAGE function on the ...

Adjacent cell belong to same merged cell?
How do I compare two adjacent cells to determine if they belong to the same merged cell? Adjacent cells cannot be merged cells. If two or more cells are merged, they become one cell. That is what "merge" means. Perhaps there is another way to phrase the question? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:11:02 -0800, DrKilbert <DrKilbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I compare two adjacent cells to determine if they belong to the same >merged cell? Thanks Gord for getting back to me on this. Let me explain in more detail. I have a worksheet t...

Cell Format #7
Hello, I have a column where I would like to format as ##-##-##- ##-##-##. I went to Format > Cells and format it in Custom category. It works fine when I enter values, but when the data starts with a text, it won't work. Any suggestions. When I entered 123456789123, it converts to 12-34-56-78- 91-23. When I entered AU1234567890, it doesn't do anything. I want it to covert to AU-12-34-56-78-90. Any ideas would be helpful. You can only format numbers that way, you could custom format as "AU"-##-##-##-##-## and just enter the numbers 1234567890 -- Regards, ...

locking data/cells so re-sorting a column doesn't re-position my d
I need to re-sort a column, but I want all the row's data associated with that row to stay with the SORT results. -- mtn_leisure mtn_leisure Wrote: > I need to re-sort a column, but I want all the row's data associated > with > that row to stay with the SORT results. > -- > mtn_leisure Try selecting the data in the other columns aswell and then sort the data should then stay together Paul -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

is it possible to see an incoming phone call id in an excel cell?.
is it possible to see an incoming phone call id in an excel cell?... i ve caller id display installed on my phone line i can see the caller id on bt's little box also i ve tried few programs that gets caller id using modem info. but all these dont (cant) connect caller id infoin an excel cell which then retrieves info about customer who ownes the number. thanks ray Hi so you want a CTI solution? Never did this with Excel but as so many things it should be possible :-) - First it depends on your telephone system. What telephone solution are you using - If this is a professional telephon...

what code pulls in contents of a cell in an Excel header/footer?
I want to put a code in a header/footer to pull in the contents of cell a1. I thought it was \A1, but this doesn't work, and I can't find any reference to how to do this. Ronny, To my knowledge, there's no code. But you can paste this into the ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("Sheet1").PageSetup.CenterHeader = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value End Sub To do that, get into the VBE (Alt - F11). Double-click the ThisWorkbook item in the Project manager, which should open a window for the code behin...

Merging text strings into a single cell
HELP!!!! I have created 2 separate columns of text data in a large spread sheet (over 600 rows of data). Now I need to merge the 2 columns together so that the text descriptions from each column are combined together into a single column. If the cells were numeric it would not be a problem (i.e. if C3 were the finished result I was looking for cell C3 would read "=A3+B3. Only problem is Excel simply tells me the formula is invalid because it's text data. Merging the cells of each row simply cuts the text off from the 2nd cell. How can this problem be resolved????? Hi you'...

how to number cells (1,2,3...) w/o having to manually type them al
am making a form for signing up items. Need to number column cells (1, 2, 3...) without having to do it manually. Is there a function that will do it for me? One way... Assuming you want column A to number as you enter data in column B. Enter this formula in A2 and copy down far enough to account for future data addition in column B. =IF(B2="","",COUNTA(B$2:B2)) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Botkinmama" <Botkinmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0050906D-812E-41A3-96EE-BAB1BA0350DD@microsoft.com... > am ma...

Remove Page Number
Is it possible to remove a page number (which was inserted using the Insert Page Number command) from a Pub. 2003 document after the document has been saved? Thanks. You can go to the Master page (Ctrl+m) and manually delete the page number text boxes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Larry Wilks" <larry.w.wilks(***)@pdq.net> wrote in message news:uu$u4OVjGHA.4344@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to remove a page number (which was inserted using the Insert > Page Number command) fr...