reflecting values in a column into a row

I am creating a chart to map a round-robin chess game. If there are 4
players, then all 4 has to play one another.

if I have the names

John
Mike
Sally
Bill

Then I'd like to type them into a columns and  write a formula in a
row to pick up the names

the spreadsheet should then look like this:

           John  Mike    Sally  Bill
John
Mike
Sally
Bill

I think it may be achieved with the Indirect() function, but my Excel
2007 help seems broken and I can't figure it out without an example.

Thanks.
MikeB
0
MPBrede (29)
9/24/2009 5:31:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

With names in A2:A5

Enter in B1     =INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN(B1))

Or   =INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN(A1)+1)

Copy across to E1 to get this...................

           John  Mike    Sally  Bill
John
Mike
Sally
Bill

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:31:36 -0700 (PDT), MikeB <mpbrede@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am creating a chart to map a round-robin chess game. If there are 4
>players, then all 4 has to play one another.
>
>if I have the names
>
>John
>Mike
>Sally
>Bill
>
>Then I'd like to type them into a columns and  write a formula in a
>row to pick up the names
>
>the spreadsheet should then look like this:
>
>           John  Mike    Sally  Bill
>John
>Mike
>Sally
>Bill
>
>I think it may be achieved with the Indirect() function, but my Excel
>2007 help seems broken and I can't figure it out without an example.
>
>Thanks.
>MikeB

0
Gord

Dlookup minimum value
Hello. I'm trying to use Dlookup to get the minimum date from a table. I was trying to do the following command: mDate=Dlookup(min("dateField"),"tblName") Somehow the code points an error on"Min", saying that "Sub or Function not defined". Is it possible what i'm doing? Is there any other way instead of looping through all the records? Thanks. Luis Try DMin() instead of DLookup() -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rat...

Adding new rows
I have a spreadsheet with 100 rows in, I need to add a row after each current row, is there a quick way to do this or have i got to insert each new row individually? -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390760 I assume you want to add an empty new row in between the existing rows. One way would be with an extra column Save as "trial" first.......just in case thi...

BCP Computed Column
Hi. I have a table with a computed column. When I try to import data into table through BCP it generates error due to computed column. So how to handle a computed column while importing data into table through bcp from a text file. Regards, Muhammad Bilal You need to use a format file that tells BCP to skip that column. See BOL for info on bcp format files. Tom "Muhammad Bilal" <MuhammadBilal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD65421-C599-4773-B56F-24841FE05D5A@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have a table with a computed column...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

First row in Selection range (first index of a cell)
Hello, I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection Range or return an index of the first cell in Selection Cell. I have something like this: .................... Range1.Select "and here I want to Select the first range in selection Range1" ............. I there any special function of finding first cell in selection range or returning an index of the first cell?? Thanks for answet Marcin Maybe range1(1).select or range1.cells(1).select or range1.cells(1,1).select mar_male@wp.pl wrote: > > Hello, > I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection...

Calculations not working on pasted values from Access
I'm using Office 2000 on W2k, and when I copy and paste a column of numbers from MS Access to MS Excel, I am unable to perform a Sum function on the pasted values. The function always returns zero. If I then type in the values directly it does work. Anyone know why? Is this caused by a virus and is there a patch? It is because it is seen as text, try to copy an empty cell, select the imported numbers, do edit>paste special and select add. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Scott Sullivan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c0001c3a22c$790cd250...

Assign Picklist value to another Picklist
I have 2 picklist (territorycode and Listado) and i want to add the value selected of territorycode picklist into listado picklist Could be something like this in the Onchange Event... crmForm.territorycode.value=crmForm.CFPListado.value; but didn`t work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Daniel Rodriguez SMS - Argentina Try using the returnValue property, e.g.: crmForm.territorycode.returnValue=crmForm.CFPListado.returnValue; "Daniel Rodriguez" wrote: > I have 2 picklist (territorycode and Listado) and i want to add the value > selected of territorycode ...

Locking a Cell after It's Value is Calculated.
I have One Cell whose value is constantly changing once a week. The results of that cell, I would like to have placed in differents cells, once a week. EX: In worksheet1 Input in cell WK3, resulting calculation ends in cell M3, then cell M3 is copied to worksheet2, A1 (=worksheet1M3) I got this! Input in cell WL3, resulting calculation ends in cell M3, then M3 is copied to worksheet2, A2: The problem is that cell A1 changes to the new number HELP! Can I lock cell A1 after the value is copied to it? Can I set conditions (time / date) on the cell after the value i copied to it so it won...

Return Value from cells which match criteria (complex)
I have a worksheet I want to compute mileage on. Right now we're doing everything manually, but I want to see if I can automate the process in Excel without resorting to a lot (if any) VB code. The formula needs to examine 4 columns for the start point, then 43 or so columns for the destination point. From there it can reference another sheet with the mileage between two points and insert the correct value. The logic looks something like this: "Look for data in array a and in array b then depending on which columns hold the data, lookup the corresponding result in ...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

Does Multi-Field Index Work For Date/Time Values Only
I created a MS-Access DB table with the following 3 columns: ColID - PRIMARY KEY Col1 - Number Col2 - Date/Time Next I created a multi-field index using Col1 & Col2. I entered the following row in the 1st row: 1 5/10/2007 Next when I tried to add the above row again, as expected, I wasn't allowed to enter the same row. Next I entered the following 2 rows: 1 5/11/2007 2 5/10/2007 Both the rows were accepted. After this I deleted the 3 records, went back to the design view & changed the data type of Col2 from Date/Time to Number keeping the multi-field index...

T-SQL script to update A/P account value of Vendor Card
Hello: For some reason, I just noticed that a question that I posed over an hour ago still has not posted to the newsgroups. So, I'm going to try to repost, here. I am trying to develop a simple T-SQL script in Fabrikam where I update the A/P account of the vendor card with a different account number from what is presently there. When I try each of the scripts below, SQL returns 0 results. Why? UPDATE PM00200 SET PM00200.PMAPINDX = GL00100.ACTINDX from PM00200 as PM00200 join GL00100 as GL00100 on PM00200.PMAPINDX = GL00100.ACTINDX WHERE PMAPINDX IN( select ACT...

Delete 3 end row
Hi I want to delete three end row of any sheet. any sheet has different row number. Thank's for any help. your's Hi, This will clear the last 3 rows of the active sheet. Note I the on error line is to cope when there are less than 3 rows on the sheet Sub del_Last_3() Dim LastRow As Long On Error Resume Next LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:="*", _ SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _ SearchOrder:=xlRows).Row ActiveSheet.Rows(LastRow - 2 & ":" & LastRow).ClearContents End Sub -- Mike Whe...

Prinding each row of Excel sheet on a seperate page dispallying one record on each pa
From a spread sheet ,I need to print out a row on each page seperately that is printout each record on the row on one page seperately. Can any one please advise how it can be done ? Fro example Row 1 Data 11 Data 12 Data 13 Row 2 Data 21 Data 22 Data 23 Row 3 Data 31 Data 32 Data 33 I would want to print out Data 11 and Data 22 on one page then Data 21 and Data 22 on the second page and data 31 and Data 33 on the third page Pleae advise if and hwo this is possible. Thank you Sanjeev --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sorry ...

value of value of a variable.
I tried searching, but no use! I have a Const NameA = "BLA BLA" I have a variable NameB Value of NameB is NameA. How do i get the text "BLA BLA" from NameB variable Is there anyway to do that? something like,, VALUE(NameB) Thanks & Regards Joe Hi Dim NameB as String NameB =3D NameA in a cell you could have range("A1").Value =3D NameB would now have content "BLA BLA" regards Paul On May 21, 12:35=A0pm, Joe <joe.varghese.j...@gmail.com> wrote: > I tried searching, but no use! > > I have a Const Name...

NEW LAPTOPS & LCD's CAN HAVE A BAD REFLECTION PROBLEM
Since a couple years ago, there're 2 types of LCD coatings. Many new consumer laptops come with "BriteView" (also known as "Glossy") which makes them look STUNNING shiny - an eye candy as long as you see it in a store. But when you use for professional purposes you'll find reflections can offset the benefit of "BriteView's "looking cool" The traditional coating until "BriteView" was forced upon us, was "Antiglare" (also known as "Matte"), the good news they both co-exist. Which oen you prefer is a matt...

Table-like Outline and Collumm that sums prevous values up
Hello The report I would like to have should be in a tabular form just like the doc document I have attached. However, until now I have not found out how to set the report into a tabular outline. It is quite uncomfortable and time intensive to set up this report by using lines and the different text fields. In addition, it will not look any good at the end.. Also, I would need a columm that is able to sum up the values before. Just like the "total" under each semester. Are the issues solvable? Greets, Hubertholz attached: http://rapidshare.com/files/35708241...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

how can I show repeating values in a chart?
I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how can I show that compared to the number 50 which come up 2 times in the sheet? Thanks for the help Hi, You will need to compute those values using formula or a pivot table and then chart the results. Cheers Andy Cindy wrote: > I would like to show modes in the form of a pie chart but am not sure how. > For example the number 73 comes up 3 times in a column on my spreadsheet, how > can I show that compared to the number 50 whi...

Automatically update Value for data label
Hello I am using Excel 2003 SP2, and have some graphs which have the value (data label) for the last month. Each month new data is entered and the data label has to be deleted for the previous month and the data label for the most recent month added (it still uses the same old data - new data is only entered for the most recent month). Is there any way where the data label can automatically update with the most recent months value (as the chart updates itself automatically currently). Any ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards, Nav ...

Customize global adress list column in a new mail
Hi! (I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007). when i create a new mail message, hit the "To" button, my global adress list window appear when column by default: Name, Title, business Phone, Location, E-mail address, Company and Alias. Those column from Active directory of course. My question is: can I add/remove column in this window? For example adding "department" from Active directory? thx Since this is customized by your Exchange Admin, I would start by asking him/her if it is possible. This question can most likely be answered in an Exchange or W...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

Access 2007-Table not displaying the values from a combo box
I have built a database to schedule senior/disabled transportation appointments. I have created two tables and associated forms for data entry. I placed a combo box in the Schedule form so end users choose a client and fields complete on the form with client name, address, city, and home phone number. I did instruct Access to store the data in the SeniorIntakeID field in the Schedule table. I wrote a report that staff execute to see what is scheduled for a given date, for each driver. On the report I want to see the actual client's name, address, city, and home phone n...