Recommendations for an Excel and VBA book

Can anyone recommend a really good Excel reference book?  In addition
to the Microsoft guides, I have purchased several books and find them
either too basic to be of help when the going gets tough, or a little
too hard to understand (usually because they use terms and operators
without clearly defining their function and/or limitations).  Excel
2000 VBA by John Green is the best I have found, but it is just about 1
notch above my understanding in many areas.  I have learned more from
this newsgroup and the programming newsgroup than from any other
source, and you are all appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any
recommendations.

0
RJQMAN (17)
4/20/2006 2:10:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I find the books written by John Walkenbach to be an excellent learning tool.
 For example I have "Microsoft Excel 2003 Formulas" by John,  it is easy to
understand and will not go over your head.  Also 'Excel 2003 Power Programing
with VBA' is equaly as good if you are into VBA.  I have used books by John
Walkenbach since Excel 2000 and find they far surpass any other books in
print.

"RJQMAN@AOL.COM" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a really good Excel reference book?  In addition
> to the Microsoft guides, I have purchased several books and find them
> either too basic to be of help when the going gets tough, or a little
> too hard to understand (usually because they use terms and operators
> without clearly defining their function and/or limitations).  Excel
> 2000 VBA by John Green is the best I have found, but it is just about 1
> notch above my understanding in many areas.  I have learned more from
> this newsgroup and the programming newsgroup than from any other
> source, and you are all appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any
> recommendations.

Thanks.  I will explore the VBA book.

0
RJQMAN (17)

Convert Excel 97- Excel 2003
I am planning to migrate all network application from Excel 97to excel 2003. All applications has VBA's, http links and lot of buttons functionality, Excel sheets are integrated with multiple sheets with huge data. I read articles at microsoft web site i havne get propre information any one know how I cam convert safe and sound without any trouble. As per my understaning just use save as option... Am I right. Thank you Hi Mike, > I am planning to migrate all network application from > Excel 97to excel 2003. All applications has VBA's, http > links and lot of butt...

FRx statements exported to one Excel workbook
Clients would like to export chained FRx reports to export to one Excel workbook for easier e-mailing. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5c667c48-735e-42b4-99...

export into excell
When I transfer my contacts from Outlook into an excell file my first name field becomes all 0's. Only this field, everthing else is ok. ideas why this is happening? It does not do this on my other computer (same settings). Scanned for virus - nothing. ...

List of Outlook References Through VBA
Folks, I am looking for VBA code in outlook that will list references that are installed in the Outlook VBA Editor. I know how to do this in word, excel, powerpoint, and access. I can't seem to find the parent of the "reference" object or the "references" object. If I could get that, I could easily loop through (either by using the collection or the count of the items) and debug.print the properties. I am referring to the references found in "Tools/References." Thanks so much for your help! David ...

Send Indiviual email from Excel
I have to check expenses of employees (about 200). I note the corrections & revisions while checking the expenses on an excel sheet. i.e. I note Name in column A, Remarks in column "B". What i need is How automated sending of emails. Please note that I also want to have the subject line "Summary of Expense for the period July 01, 2004 to July 31, 2004", where date is also mentioned in excel. Hi see: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Murtaza wrote: > I have to check expenses of employees (about 200). I note the &...

Excel Opens 2 files, I only created one?
I have been working on a spreadsheet for the past 6 months with no issues. The file size is 3.66mb, Excel 2000, Windows 2000. Everytime I open the file "abc" I get two Excel files open named "abc:1" and "abc:2". Does anyone have any idea why this is and what I can do to rectify it? All other files open OK. Thanks in advance. Mark You get these by clicking on: Window > New Window To get rid of excess windows, click on "Close Window" (that's the cross in the top-right of the screen underneath the "Close" cross). -- Regards Andy W...

concatenate within an excel formula
I am trying to concatenate cells and have the result execute within a formula. I am ending up with: =sheet4!A2 instead of the value that is contained in that location. Format that cell with the new formula as General (or anything but text) and then reenter the formula. In fact, changing the cell's format to General, then hitting F2, then enter should be enough. If that doesn't help, maybe you're looking at formulas. In xl2003 menus: tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas ps. You may want to use: =if(sheet4!a2="","",sheet4!a2) ...

Cannot modify Excel Tools Options
When I try to make a change to the Excel Tools Options, I get a dialog box: Cannot access directory: C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Excel. It works in safe mode, but how can I get this to work in regular mode? I am using Office 2003. ...

Word and Excel documents open as gibberish
I have some old documents that were not very important to me until now. They were created using BizPlan Builder templates over a year ago. I have switched computers, but have still have the files. Now when I go to open them in Office 2004, I get the "convert file from" dialogue box, and they open as unrecognizable gibberish. This is true for all documents in this folder, both text docs and spreadsheets. I even found other copies of these same docs, and they open the same way. HELP!!!! Are they forever lost/corrupted? In article <1126274193.741918.235600@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups...

How do I use a server name in an Excel chart file path?
Currently, I have a chart in my open workbook that was copied from an external workbook and I have changed all the file locations to match where the data is coming from in the original workbook. However, the source file is on a shared network drive on a server that is mapped under different names on each machine on the network. I have tried changing the links to the standard '\\server\drive\directory' format as shown below, but to no avail. The chart 'source data' dialog boxes do not allow this and say the "Reference is not valid. Reference must be to an open wo...

Setting up Solver reference in a protected VBA project
Hello, I want to distribute a workbook that uses Solver in one of the several macros this workbook has. Some users would need to setup the Solver Add-In and set the reference in the VBA Project. The project is password protected and I don't want to disclose the password. Is there a way to to this while maintaining the VBA Project password protected? Any ideas would be appreciated. Regards, OMER I recently needed to do something similar, but was unable to find the code to find the references until I stumbled upon the following from Ken Puls. I modified the code to s...

How do stop a 30 MB Excel file from freezing, while I am working i
When I try to open and work with my 30+MB file, it displays the white film over the shhe and displays the (Not Responding). I have Excel 2007 I fear there is no solution. When I first had Vista + Excel 2007 I used to assume "Not Responding" in the caption and a white out meant the app had crashed and best to close it via the task manager. I now realise it probably means the app is doing stuff and best to leave it alone for a while. Then again it might indeed mean the app has hung. Sorry not to be able to give a more helpful reply. Regards, Peter T "NEEDHEL...

2003 Excel isn't reading the book.xlt file on startup.
I have this working in previous version of Excel. I have a bool.xlt and a sheet.xlt file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART folder and also tried them in the user are also and to outcome is the same in either place. When Excel 2003 boots up it doesn’t read the book.xlt file. If I make a new workbook with the icon on the toolbar it reads it to make the new workbook from book.xlt. If I use the File menu and choose Blank Document it doesn’t use the book.xlt. No idea what’s up here, it always used the book.xlt file in Excel 2002. Anyone have any ideas? I see this Op...

Excel find and replace issue #2
When I go to Edit - Find - find and replace - and have something copied I want to look for, When I click paste Nothing happens. This has only been going on for a few days. Have any ideas what got accidently (or updated) changed? Will it paste if you use the ctrl-v shortcut? buddyorliz wrote: > > When I go to Edit - Find - find and replace - > and have something copied I want to look for, > When I click paste Nothing happens. > This has only been going on for a few days. > Have any ideas what got accidently (or updated) changed? -- Dave Peterson YES it Will. So is it j...

How To Create a Visual Basic Automation Add-in for Excel Worksheet
Does anyone have any interest in calling QSRules/QSBridge routines from within Excel 2003 functions? (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285337/) ...

Problem when input Chinese in Excel 2003
Hi all, I recently encountered problem to input Chinese character in Excel 2003, when I switch to one of my Chinese input method, say Chinese Traditional (Quick). It can listed out the Chinese characters for me to choose, however, when I choose anyone of them. The Chinese font didn't show up in the cell. So I have already tried to use the same method in Word 2003, PowerPoint 2003, Wordpad, notepad.....there is no such problem. I'm currently using Windows XP w/ SP2 (English) and Office 2003 w/ SP2 (English). Looking forward to hearing from you soon, thank you very much. ...

excel & pocket pc
Hi Everyone, I have an HP iPAQ 1930 pocket pc. My problem is that when i download an excel file to it, it will not recognise the file. How should i go about saving on my pc and then downloading to the pocket pc so that i can update the file on the move. Thanks "Glynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<08d001c3da77$03cd1080$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > Hi Everyone, > > I have an HP iPAQ 1930 pocket pc. My problem is that when > i download an excel file to it, it will not recognise the > file. > How should i go about saving o...

excel cursor not displaying
I've created an excel workbook with activex controls (textboxes, combo boxes, etc) and when I use the mouse and click into one of the controls, the cursor does not display until the second click. There is no set focus code available to use to work around this. This was working fine on my machine earlier (one click set the cursor in the field correctly) but now it requires two clicks. Is there an Excel option that needs to be set to correct this? Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Jill .. ...

where can i get a flow chart template for excel
i want to make a hierarchy that describes chain of command. any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

vba logic
Does anyone know how to fix the code below? It's not setting the ranges correctly Sub Addnames1() Dim irow As Integer irow = 0 With shtTerm.Range("bx25") Do ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add _ Name:=.Offset(irow, 0), _ RefersTo:= _ .Offset(irow, 1).Value irow = irow + 1 Loop Until .Offset(irow, 0) = "" End With End Sub Starting in bx25 TR30MNE V23:V61 TR30MPE W23:W61 TR30MSE X23:X61 TR30FNE Y23:Y61 TR30FPE Z23:Z61 TR30FSE AA23:AA61 TR30UNE AB23:AB61 TR30UPE AC23:AC61 TR30USE AD23:AD61 TR30MNE AE23:AE6...

Export to Excel problems
Hello, I am trying to import a web page that has serial numbers that star with three zeros: (I tried this with Excel XP and Excel 2000) 0003433 0003333 0002222 etc. When the data is imported, the leading zeros are trimmed. I have eve tried to format the entire spreadsheet cells as Text...to no avail Here is what I do: 1) In Excel, select Data->Get External Data->New Web Query. 2) Enter url in the first textbox of the New Web Query dialog. 3) Click Ok twice. The data gets inserted without zeros. I have tried all availabl options. Any ideas? Thanks, Dann -- Message posted from http:...

VBA in Excel 2007 date formatting
I'm trying to format the cells [1,16] and [1,17] to the "mmm-yy" format. The user enters the date as "mm/dd/yy" into ADD-REP_DATE and ADD_PRD. I've tried putting the last two statements above as well, to no effect: the dates still show up in the cells with the "mm/dd/yy" format. I recorded a macro to change the format, and came up with {Selection.NumberFormat ="[$-409]mmm-yy;@"}. Cutting and pasting that didn't work either. The rest of the worksheet uses the date in the "mmm-yy" format (so does the user). N...

What VBA Stmt Will Tell Me the Index of a Chart's SERIES Formula?
I have written a macro that allows a user to select a specific series on an embedded chart, then specify a change to the series limit ranges. It works very well, EXCEPT I have not figured out how to write a statement that will return the index number of the selected series. I mistakenly believed that the series index number is the last number on the right end of the series formula. It's not. That's the plotting order sequence number, and it can change. I need the series index number, which I think is unique within the workbook. I tried using SELECTION.NAME after selecting the se...

Replacing Access query with SQL Select VBA?
I am in the process of extending my Access 2007 knowledge and hopefully VBA skills. I am reviewing samples, reading many of the posts on this group, etc. In the long run I need to learn VBA inside and out based on my professional goals so I am trying balance between learning the basics of the language and working through examples. So I have two questions. 1.) What is the best online reference for the VBA language for Access 2007? 2.) In my test database a have several tables and made a query selecting the information I want based on my criteria for a special report that I developed. The ...

Excel data in one cell, need to copy specific values to another worksheet in different cells
I am attempting to copy financial data from one worksheet to another. Unfortunately, the worksheet that I am copying from is formatted as one column of data in column A. The data appears as follows in column A: DISTRICT: Adams County/Ohio Valley Local COUNTY: Adams IRN: 061903 ADM, VALUATION & MILLAGE (1983-1984) SOURCE: SF12 Line 3 Basic ADM 4,916 Assessed value 480,468,317 Total ADM 5,769 Valuation/Basic ADM 97,736 Voted millage (Incl JVS) 20.80 Class1 eff tax rate 20.14 BASIC STATE AID (1983-...