Reading Vista files from XP

We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.

When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
crashes.

I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged between
the 2 operating systems?

Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
stumbling on the answer.

Thanks..................Dave

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The operating systems have nothing to do with the files. The files are
created by Excel. There is no MS Vista version of Excel. There are several
versions of Excel, Excel 95, 97, 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003 and 2007. Excel 2007
has its own file format, .xlsx but can create files compatible with previous
versions of Excel, i.e. .xls. The version of Excel that is running has
nothing to do with the operating system. Your problem lies elsewhere, not
with the operating systems.

Tyro

"djw" <david_watkins@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
> using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.
>
> When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
> crashes.
>
> I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged
> between the 2 operating systems?
>
> Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
> stumbling on the answer.
>
> Thanks..................Dave

0
Tyro (331)
10/10/2007 6:24:52 PM
Visit MS site and download the Compatibility utility that lets XL2003 read
XL2007 files
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"djw" <david_watkins@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
> using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.
>
> When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
> crashes.
>
> I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged
> between the 2 operating systems?
>
> Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
> stumbling on the answer.
>
> Thanks..................Dave

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
10/11/2007 4:21:47 PM
Office 2007 has features not present in Office 2003.  If you want 100%
compatibility, your customer should not use those features and save the
files to be sent to you in Office 2003 formats. Otherwise you'll have to get
Office 2007. Office files saved as, or converted to, PDF files are not
Office files and have nothing to do with Office. They are PDF files for use
with programs such as Adobe.

> Bernard ---
>
> Thank you for your response.  I have done what you suggested, and as I
> suspected, it added the 2007 file formats to Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
> That is very helpful, and is exactly the solution I was looking for in my
> original posting.
>
> What it didn't do was solve our problem - which I now understand to be
> somewhat different than a simple file conversion problem.
>
> Here is what has happened.  We have a customer who has sent us an EMail
> with
> 3 attachments, 2 MS Word documents and 1 Excel file.
>
> We are running MS Office 2002 SP3.  Our customer is running Vista, so I
> assume they are running Office 2007 (??).
>
> The files we were sent had the familiar file extensions - XLS and DOC (not
> xlsx).
>
> When we go to open the files (directly from the Email attachment), the
> correct software is automatically started (either Excel or Word), and the
> document is read in - at least enough for the program to display the data
> from the file, as the first screen of data is displayed.  Then, before
> there
> is a chance to do anything (one or two seconds after the file is displayed
> on the screen), we get the "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and
> needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message with the
> offer
> to send in an error report.
>
> This same crash happens with both Word and Excel.
>
> When the originator re-creates the files using the PDF format, they arrive
> fine and we can view them.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your help!....................Dave
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>> Visit MS site and download the Compatibility utility that lets XL2003
>> read XL2007 files
>> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "djw" <david_watkins@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
>>> using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.
>>>
>>> When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
>>> crashes.
>>>
>>> I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged
>>> between the 2 operating systems?
>>>
>>> Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
>>> stumbling on the answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks..................Dave

0
Tyro (331)
10/11/2007 11:17:55 PM
Bernard ---

Thank you for your response.  I have done what you suggested, and as I
suspected, it added the 2007 file formats to Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
That is very helpful, and is exactly the solution I was looking for in my
original posting.

What it didn't do was solve our problem - which I now understand to be
somewhat different than a simple file conversion problem.

Here is what has happened.  We have a customer who has sent us an EMail with
3 attachments, 2 MS Word documents and 1 Excel file.

We are running MS Office 2002 SP3.  Our customer is running Vista, so I
assume they are running Office 2007 (??).

The files we were sent had the familiar file extensions - XLS and DOC (not
xlsx).

When we go to open the files (directly from the Email attachment), the
correct software is automatically started (either Excel or Word), and the
document is read in - at least enough for the program to display the data
from the file, as the first screen of data is displayed.  Then, before there
is a chance to do anything (one or two seconds after the file is displayed
on the screen), we get the "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message with the offer
to send in an error report.

This same crash happens with both Word and Excel.

When the originator re-creates the files using the PDF format, they arrive
fine and we can view them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!....................Dave

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> Visit MS site and download the Compatibility utility that lets XL2003 read
> XL2007 files
> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "djw" <david_watkins@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
>> using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.
>>
>> When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
>> crashes.
>>
>> I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged
>> between the 2 operating systems?
>>
>> Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
>> stumbling on the answer.
>>
>> Thanks..................Dave

Theoretically, Excel 2003 should not "crash", it generally should give an
error.  Let's say you use an Excel 2007 function  and send that back to
Excel 2003. In that case Excel 2003 should give a #NAME error as it does not
recognize the function name. However, in this imperfect world, anything
might happen. In Excel 2007 you can have any number of conditional formats
and in Excel 2003, you can have only 3.  So I don't know what would happen
in that case. I have not played with sending Office 2007 files back to
previous versions. I use Office 2007. I have brought my Office 2003 files
into Office 2007 with no problems. My custom menus and toolbars are
maintained, albeit in slightly different formats.

> [...]
>>> document is read in - at least enough for the program to display the
>>> data
>>> from the file, as the first screen of data is displayed.  Then, before
>>> there
>>> is a chance to do anything (one or two seconds after the file is
>>> displayed
>>> on the screen), we get the "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem
>>> and
>>> needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message with the
>>> offer
>>> to send in an error report.
>>>
>>> This same crash happens with both Word and Excel.
>>>
>>> When the originator re-creates the files using the PDF format, they
>>> arrive
>>> fine and we can view them.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!....................Dave

0
Tyro (331)
10/11/2007 11:54:08 PM
> [...]

>> from the file, as the first screen of data is displayed.  Then, before
>> there
>> is a chance to do anything (one or two seconds after the file is
>> displayed
>> on the screen), we get the "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and
>> needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message with the
>> offer
>> to send in an error report.
>>
>> This same crash happens with both Word and Excel.
>>
>> When the originator re-creates the files using the PDF format, they
>> arrive
>> fine and we can view them.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!....................Dave
>>

>> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>>> Visit MS site and download the Compatibility utility that lets XL2003

I am wondering if you have found the solution to this issue. I also need to know how its done.

Posted as a reply to:

Reading Vista files from XP

We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.

When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
crashes.

I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged between
the 2 operating systems?

Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
stumbling on the answer.

Thanks..................Dave

WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx
0
laura
9/17/2009 8:13:03 PM
Vista is an operating system and has nothing to do with Excel.

I think you mean Excel 2007 from Office 2007 running under Vista OS

Excel 2007 files are saved as *.XLSX extension.

File extension of XLS means they were created in a version earlier than
Excel 2007 or saved in 2007 as 2003 version files

You should have no problem opening *.XLS files.

If the extension is actually XLSX there is a compatibility pack download you
can install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:13:03 -0700, laura duchossois wrote:

>I am wondering if you have found the solution to this issue. I also need to know how its done.
>

>Posted as a reply to:
>
>Reading Vista files from XP
>
>We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created
>using a MS Vista version of Excel.  The file extension is XLS.
>
>When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program
>crashes.
>
>I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged between
>the 2 operating systems?
>
>Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success
>stumbling on the answer.
>
>Thanks..................Dave
>
>EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3d49fa0d-a120-4977-842a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx

0
Gord

OT: XP randomly sails off into outer space...
in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :- Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.) Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports), 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port, 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it. Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header, ....in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, no temp. problems btw ! running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more, During the past couple of we...

reply those log files after the lastest full backup
Dear all, I'm practicing the DR procedure of Exchange 2k3. I can restore Exchange 2k3 to the state of latest full backup. If the full backup did on midnight 5:00am then the server crash on 11:00am same day. There are a lot of mail between 5:00am to 11:00am and not updated to Information Store. How can I replay those log files and make the Information Store most update? Thanks! Patrick The logs will play when you mount the store, if the restore was successful, and you chose "last restore set" as a restore option. If you did not, here is how to force a hard recovery. eseu...

Unstablized Vista after long Non-use
Hi: Thoroughout this afternoon, I worked on Vista, because the PC with Vista was kept in the backroom without anyone to use it for about one and a half years. On the first two or three tries, Vista ran perfectly OK without any issues. However, this evening after few hours' rest, Vista getting unstablized, one of most annoying thing is that words/texts getting scrambled to the point I'm not able read, even I never changed fonts and etc. Another issue is that there is NO words, ... Start - Programs and all others, hence I'm not able to access Control Panel to s...

HELP: Export data to word template and save it as a seperate file
Hi All, I want to export details from excel userform to a word template and save it at a different file. So basically once the user clicks the Export to word button this should happen: -Opens up a dialog window(to select the word template) - User Selects the word template (I have a specific word template designed) - the template is then "SAVED AS" a seperate word file at a specific location(mentioned in code below) But what is happening is, When user clicks the button and selects the template, the data is exported to that template, and its not saved in a differen...

Class for downloading MMS Protocol Files?
Hi NG Is there a C++ Class (VC6) for downloading mms streams from internet? Thanx Richie ...

launch exe files in ps1
Hi all I wanna to know how can I launch a exe file within a powershell script, for instances I have this function in a script: Function edit($file){ $program = 'd:\Program Files (x86)\PowerGUI\ScriptEditor.exe'; $psi= New-Object System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo; $sb = New-Object System.Text.StringBuilder; $sb.Append("'"); $sb.Append($((Get-ChildItem $file).FullName)); $sb.Append("'"); $psi.Arguments = $sb.Tostring(); $psi.FileName = $program; [System.Diagnostics.Process]::Start($psi); } that is an incredible work and with erro...

Temp files problem.
We have two public IP's. One is for VOIP the other for Internet Browsing. Temp files created on public IP used for VOIP are getting stored on another public IP, used for Internet Browsing. What could be the reason apart from Gateway Configuration Any Ideas, Please help. On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:26:04 -0700, Darbha <Darbha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have two public IP's. >One is for VOIP the other for Internet Browsing. >Temp files created on public IP used for VOIP are getting >stored on another public IP, used for Internet Browsing. >What could be ...

Excel file goes from 12 to 38 MB after "Get External Data"
Hi In an excel spreadsheet, there are three worksheets that are populated with data in perhaps 20 columns and up to 3000 rows, (along with several other worksheets in the same spreadsheet) The spreadsheet is 12 MB with the hard-coded (hand keyed) data sitting in each of these three worksheets. We decided that we wanted to import the data to these pages from SQL Server rather than maintain it manually, so we wrote a macro that clears the three worksheets and then executes the "Get External Data" function for each of the three worksheets. However, when we run the macro and it rep...

"Sorry, you have to configure an offline folder file first"
Hi, I have Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000. I'm getting this message "Sorry, you have to configure an offline folder file first" poped up every 2 seconds. I do have Palm installed on my PC. Please help..... Thanks Do you need an offline file? Palm has nothing to do with this, note. If you don't need to work offline with an OST file, go to tools, services, find the properties of the Exchange server service, advanced tab, and you should be able to disable offline use. San wrote: > Hi, > > I have Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000. I'm getting this > message &quo...

Outlook 2003 crashes when reading HTML emails
Just like the title says, really. Error message is "Outlook 2003 application error " The instruction at "0x30cb05e4" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program. Sometimes I get to see the email briefly just before the crash. It looks as though OL is calling IE to render the HTML, but that there's something wrong with the call (but I could be totally wrong on this). I have another PC (in a different office) with nominally the same build, and this works fine. Anyone got any ideas? ...

Size of Excel file Access db exports to.
I have an Access db that exports about 350 queries to a specific Excel file. This is done on a weekly basis then monthly basis. The db and exporting works great. However the size of the file. The size of the file after the save is as large as my largest month of data which makes sense. Is there anyway to compact an Excel file like you can in Access to get reclaim space that may be used in the monthly data but not in the weekly data? The weekly data was making the file about 26 MB. After I ran the monthly data it ballooned to 36 MB. All but about 20 of the queries are created through code. Wou...

Windows 2007 .xlsm files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel In my work environment we now use windows excel 2007 with files saved in the .xlsm format. I have a mac at home but find that I cannot open the excel .xlsm files in max excel 2008. Compatibility is the number 1 requirement for me. Is there any solution other than buying Windows? David_Winston@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel > In my work environment we now use windows excel 2007 with files saved in > the .xlsm format. I have a mac at h...

Read Receipt in Outlook 2002
I am using Outlook 2002 under Windows 2000 at work. I tend to receive a lot of e-mail from my clients requesting read receipts. Normally, I click "OK" to send a read receipt but there are times when I click "cancel" to not send one but later on, I want to send the read receipt. Is there a way to send a read receipt in the future after I have clicked "cancel"? OR do I only have one chance (when the pop-up window asks me) to send the read receipt? Thanks in advance. You only get that one chance. After that the message is marked as having shown the prompt to as...

Repost problem importing Pst file
Sorry to repost it but I really need it. ====================== Hi, I've got a pst file form Exemerge that is about 2GB. I used the Pst2gb to cut it off 500MB and used Scanpst to fix it. Now I can copy and move within this pst file but I cannot export or copy or move any message out of this pst but I can copy a message into this pst. Size of this pst is just 83MB after I removed most unwanted e-mail but I still can't export from it. It just said "Can't move the items" Do you have any idea to help me fix this up? Please help. Thanks, Tony. Have you...

Import txt file with multiple rows for each record
I have a royalty report from SAP that I need to bring into Excel. It includes check number, payment date, amount, and check recipient. The problem is the "check recipient" information comes in on either 1,2,3, or 4 lines in the report. But the rest of the record information is all on line 1. This is random and will not be the EXACT same structure each month. Ex. 2539893 3/14/2002 55.09 Jane Doe Anytown USA 2539894 3/14/2002 79.99 Bob Evans 2539895 3/14/2002 5.00 John Smith 111 Mai...

Wav File Question for PPS files
I have FINALLY read and digested all the wonderful help about only embedded wav files being able to be emailed.......and have suceeded in being able to do so ....THANKS Trouble here is I have only 2 wav files that are music (not one line jokes, etc.) and am time pressed on finding a good one for a xmas PPS I'd like to send to family. Is there a source online where one can SAFELY download wav files. I've encountered lots of invalid sites out there trying? Looking for something Christmas and sentimental for a family slide show....... Grateful for any help...... THA...

Getting MP3 files to play on Web Sites
Have just put uo a web site, had .wav files that played fine, but pages took way to long to load. Converted files to MP3 files. They will play on my computer, but will not play on web site. I am using Publisher 2003 that has all its up grades. Would anyone have a suggestion. Thank You, -- B Greg www.healthyhomesonline.com www.tkoorange.net B Greg wrote: > Have just put uo a web site, had .wav files that played fine, but > pages took way to long to load. Converted files to MP3 files. They > will play on my computer, but will not play on web site. I am using > Publisher 200...

Why do I keep getting told that outlook.ost is not a offline file?
Whenever I open Outlook, the Configuring Outlook Accounts window opens, and I also get the message "The connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." When I click OK for this, a Microsoft Exchange window then pops up which asks me for the Microsoft Exchange Server, and also for "mailbox" with the Check Name button beside it. The information in these boxes is from an attempt a long time ago to set up my Web Exchange Account with Outlook - but it didn't work, and quite frankly, that isn't a big deal...

Need Driver Help after re-installing XP Pro!!
I was having some problems with my (somewhat old) Dell Dimension D600 laptop so I decided to do a clean install. Everything went well except now my Device Manager shows no drivers (question marks) for: Ethernet Controller Network Controller PCI Modem Video Controller I have no chipset install disk for this computer so using my other computer, I went to the Dell web site and downloaded what I thought were a series of drivers. The file is named DellDriverDownloadManager.application. I then copied this file to my Dell laptop but it will not open except as a text file in note...

OL 2003 and problem with zip files
We have a problem on our office PC that has started since yesterday. We receive .zip archives as a mail attachment but the last three we have received will not open or save. We have gone back to known good zip archives which have opened previously from Mon/Tue this week & earlier and those now won't open on the same PC. We have forwarded the email to another PC and this can open/save the .zip archive as expected. In addition the Subject line has mysteriously disappeared from within Outlook but we have now got that back. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem...

Problem inserting zip file
I have a user who is have a problem in Outlook 2002 on an XP machine. She tries to insert a zip file as an attachment using the paperclip. When the file location window comes up, she navigates to the zip file. As she selects the file, the 'Insert' button changes to 'Open' consequently not allowing an insert. Any suggestions??? ...

Read some data form a PDF document with VBA?
Hi all, I want to learn that how to read some data in a PDF document with VBA coding? Could you give a sample about it? Thanks in advance... Erdinc E. Karacam Office doesn't read .PDF files. Erdinc_Encap_Karacam wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to learn that how to read some data in a PDF document with VBA > coding? > > Could you give a sample about it? > > Thanks in advance... > > > > Erdinc E. Karacam Hi, The one of the basic ideas behind the PDF file formats is to allow users to print the data but not have actual access to the data. In ...

can I convert Money 98 file from old computer with Money 2004?
I have Money 98 on an old computer but have recently upgraded to new computer with Windows XP. If I install Money 2004 on the new computer, I should be able to copy my old Money 98 file to my new computer and open it with Money 2004, right? Do I need to rename the file with special file extension for Money 2004 to convert? Or any other special steps? Thanks! Right. Nope. None. Assuming that new version is same locale as old version (no M98UK -> M04 US, for instance). Also, note this is how it is **supposed** to work. Some people have problems with some old files. Most don't. Whatever...

File Error: data may have been lost #2
Summary: Using DATEDIF in MS Excel can cause (apparently unrecoverable) err= or message "File Error: data may have been lost." Details: I've been using the same spreadsheet for around a year. I saved it one even= ing and next morning when I tried to open it, I got the message: File Error: data may have been lost Most of what I read on the internet had either to do with writing to an Exc= el sheet using a programming language (which I have not done in this case) = or with upgrades. I rarely if ever download or install upgrades because it'= s a hassle. However, since I w...

Read Only pages
How can I cancel a page saved read-only. Somehow the programs opens all pages as read only. I tryed to open the properties and un-click read only, but the forms still indicate read only. "page" is a workbook? "programs" is Excel Application? Open a workbook in Excel and File>Save As>Tools>General Options and Uncheck "read-only recommended" Save the workbook. Say "yes" to overwite. If the workbooks are being opened from removable media like a CD they would have become read-only when you copied to CD Copy back to HDD then open them may b...