Re: protecting worksheet corrupts file

I have tried several different methods including:

ActiveWorkbook.Protect "Password"
    Dim objSheet As Worksheet
   For Each objSheet In Worksheets
       If objSheet.ProtectContents = False Then objSheet.Protect "a@#&ladfl&^"
    Next objSheet

or

With ActiveSheet
   .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
   .Protect Contents:=True, Password:="Password"
End With

or

ActiveSheet.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True, Password:="Password"

even just

ActiveSheet.Protect  Password:="Password"

Nothing works, I have macros that need to have the workbook and sheets unlocked so they can run.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Distribution list creation policy (re-post)
I am reposting a message I submitted a few months ago. I find it hard to believe that we are the only company with this problem...Please help - thanks. Hi, We have 5500 users and we are currently at 1400 distribution lists. We migrated over from TAO email years ago and in that system, users were able to create their own mailing lists, which they did and did it well. I think that they are still used to this mentality and are always requesting distribution lists to be created. This function is handled by one of our two Exchange administrators, but not happily I must say. Our lists situation ...

Hidden tabs on my worksheet
I can't figure out how my settings changed or how to change them back. When i go to Tools: Options: View: Tabs - it is checked. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get my tabs to show? Have even tried changing the color of them... Thanks! hi have you tried.. on the menu bar>window>unhide Regards FSt1 "Courtney" wrote: > I can't figure out how my settings changed or how to change them back. When i > go to Tools: Options: View: Tabs - it is checked. Anyone have any other ideas > on how to get my tabs to show? Have even tried changing ...

Recovering an overwritten file
How can I recover an old version of an excel file that I have saved over? Karen, Unless you have a backup...you can't. John "Karen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A196B312-6385-4C20-AFC4-9459A736846E@microsoft.com... > How can I recover an old version of an excel file that I have saved over? How do you know you actually saved over the old file. The only way you can be sure of that would be if you are using a floppy. Never read or write directly to a floppy from Excel. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm If the file wa...

protection #4
I have set protection on several sheets in a workbook to control where others can enter data. I set the cursor to move only to unlocked cells which works fine until I save it. When I reopen it the cursor can move anywhere in the sheet but you can only enter data in the unlocked cells. I have used this before and was able to keep the cursor from going to the locked cells. Is there a setting that I am missing? NV, That Enable Selection doesn't "stick" when you close and reopen the workbook. Use this in the workbook_Open Event (modify to suit) Private Sub Workbook_Open() ...

Re: Text and numbers
Using Excel 2003 I want to get the sum of cells containing numbers, but the these cells also contain some text. I only want the sum of the numbers. Please help. P Hi Paul, =SUM(A1:A20) or any other range will ignore cells with text values, and ignore empty cells --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "paul" <WEBB234@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:tmd5g.500$zR3.124@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com... &g...

Why did my Excel file suddenly balloon in size?
I have an Excel file we use as an office schedule. It's essentially a calendar with a tab for each month. When I updated the worksheet for 2006 the file size shot from 246K to 6.25M. Does anone have an idea why? Thanks!! Is the file shared? Joe "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11C4EF65-C5A8-4C8D-A1BA-AE5FB5F5C1AF@microsoft.com... >I have an Excel file we use as an office schedule. It's essentially a > calendar with a tab for each month. When I updated the worksheet for 2006 > the file size shot from 246K to 6.25M. Does...

location of backup file
We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. Hi AFAIK you can't with this option -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Vikas" <Vikas@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BF75AE6A-C10F-49E2-BBB4-4A5EF3E87657@microsoft.com... > We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always > create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. ...

Re: limit numbers of connections to one server
hi there :-) my pop3 server is limited to 10 query per sec. and per ip. i have abou 16 mail-accounts on this server. the last 6 allways error with timeou or something. is there a way to limit the number of connections to one server i outlook 2002 on windows xp pro? thanks a lo - jazzy_ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message674073.htm Set your send/receive settings to consecutive mail checks, rather than conc...

Spreadsheet files missing .xls extension
A client called saying that some Excel files had disappeared, but when I did a search for specific names they were found - without the .xls extension. They have no idea how they got renamed. Once they were renamed with the ..xls, they worked fine, but I'm baffled by how they could have lost their extensions. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Cathy Your client may went gone into My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View and checked "Hide extensions for known file types". -- Jim "Cathy C" <cchristian@aristotle.net> wrote in message news:34EF53EA-D790-401D-86B...

Protection question
hi how i can protect the unlocked cells against replacing each other(whe holding mouse cleck and move a cell to another)?? thanx in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you can't (at least not without VBA / event code) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "autocad >" <<autocad.1bnqfc@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:autocad.1bnqfc@excelforum-nospam.com... > hi > > how i can protect the unlocked cells against replacing each other(when > holding mouse cleck and move a cell to another)?? > > thanx in ...

protection 03-25-10
Why do all of a sudden I get a message of "this book was made exclusive by burt 3/24/10 10:26" when I try to close it, share it, highlight changes etc? I have shared and protected this book from the time I created it, but lately I get this message. ...

Probem
Hai Friends I have a problem in opening Excel files through shortcut. In order to open - i should open it through -- > open - Standard tool bar in excel work book.I had managed with this for last three days. But this has agravated - when i want to link values from one excel file to another excel file as it is not recognising the another opend file. Even inorder to move whole work sheet - after right click at sheet name - sub menu - Move or copy( sub menu) fails to show already opened book (in to book tab). Please help .. Thanks Hari.B - Sometimes one of these works when you'...

Excel 2007 file locked by 'another user' on windows 2008 share
I'm sharing Excel and word 2007 files on a SBS2008 server. Alle computers are windows XP with Office 2007 installed. When the users open an excel document they sometimes get File is locked by 'another user'. Disabled & removed antivirus software on server & client but that didn't resolve the issue. When i move the excel file to a Windows Server 2003 share and let the users open the file there they also get the message File is locked by 'username'. But now it mentions the username and not 'by another user', so i guess it has something todo...

Grabbing 1st file in a directory
I am trying to "peak" (too bad that command is gone in VB.NET) into a directory with 20000+ files and "grab" the first file, move it to a new location, and continue the program operation. I am using VB.NET 2008 and have the following code snippet Public inputFiles(1) As String Public firstFile As String inputFiles = Directory.GetFiles(inputDir) firstFile = inputFiles(0) --This works but takes a few seconds (time is very important) which is unacceptable. I thought the following would work Dim di As New IO.DirectoryInfo(inputDir) Dim firstFu...

Get the file path from Textbox
hello i want to get the path of file from textbox and then attach it to already opened window(it would be a Plugin)i am unable to get is it possible i give file path in Textbox and on clicking a button on form say "Attach it",it attacch file on mail window? thanks -adnan -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

Import multiple files to CRM
I'm new to CRM. Our company attaches many files to the notes section on each account (e.g., signed, scanned business plans, incentive amendments, etc.). My question: is there either 1) a way to drag and drop the attachment to the account notes section easily or 2) another way to more quickly add the attachments to the account, other than opening each account's notes and adding the file? Thanks, Cindy No these are the only ways this can be done using out of the box features. Hi Cindy, CRM's standard document management features are pretty poor - it's not really design...

RE: Use these security update from Microsoft
--imhtslytzlzwkvm Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ioynzunhxy"; type="multipart/alternative" --ioynzunhxy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="akecwvouv" --akecwvouv Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulne...

Cannot send .zip files via Outlook
For some reason my Outlook 2002 will not allow me to attach .zip files. I can send any other type of file such as .jpg, .gif, .html. or whatever. I have checked the zone setting and it is set at internet. I know I used to be able to send .zip files and I haven't changed anything so far as settings. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:aPCdndeCLr2SlTPenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@comcast.com... > For some reason my Outlook 2002 will not allow me to attach .zip files. I > can send any other type of file s...

Excel2000-File size is increasing without changes!!
This morning, my excel file was 1.5M. Right now, it is at 32M. Seems to increase every time I save. What have I done? Joe Joe Excel over-estimates the size of the "used range" quite often. On one of your sheets hit CRTL + END to see where you end up. Could be far below and to the right of where your actual data range is. For corrections and resetting see Debra Dalgleish's site for manual and coded resetting instructions. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:36:29 -0500, "lunker55" <joec@shipwaystairs.com> wrote: >...

Takes too long to open file with xla extension
File with xla extension takes too long to open. Any idea why and how to fix this problem? Thanks! That XLA extension means it is an Add-in file. ALL add-ins or just one particular add-in? Which add-in would it be? An Excel default add-in or a third-party? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:14:00 -0700, boba <boba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >File with xla extension takes too long to open. Any idea why and how to fix >this problem? > >Thanks! It is a file a user is trying to export from Visual Basic to excel. When it is exported...user gets ...

Insert File Source Path in Workbook
In excel 2000 are you able to insert the files path on at the base of the workbook as say a footer? Not just the filename - the whole path eg: h:\mydocuments\excel\book1.xls Hi Carl, Not part of Excel 2000, though it was added in Excel 2002. For versions prior to Excel 2002 you need a macro. An example of a macro for Excel 2000 can be seen in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm look for "Workbook_BeforePrint" within a box. === HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...

Modify data at the application level list view w/o opening indv re
This suggestion is for functionality to modify account or contact field information from the List View at the Application Level. In other words, users would like to modify fields on this screen, without actually opening any single record in another window. A similar functionality would be like modifying song information in iTunes, where you can change any field info by clicking on that field twice, or even something like the Advanced Find window where hovering the mouse over a field will allow the option to change the field value. Many of our users and clients think this would be an e...

rounding of numbers in worksheet
Help! How do I keep formulas in a worksheet from rounding up or down. Do I need to do a different formula than =sum (b2+c2)? Audrey, What leads you to believe that Excel is rounding? You might just need to increase the number of displayed decimal places. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Audrey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2e4af01c46aa0$9ed494e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Help! How do I keep formulas in a worksheet from rounding > up or down. Do I need to do a different f...

Corrupt connection to data file
See below for my original post and a reply, here are some more details. I installed Optlook 2003 on my new PC then copied my Outlook.pst file from my old machine to the new machine and that resulted in 2 Personal Folders appearing. I don't recall now exactly how but I managed to get rid of one of them and Outlook uses the other one (copied from old PC) just fine until I try to access the Advanced Options for the folder so I can compress the data file. By "Second Mail Folder" I mean that I have a Personal Folders where I have all my personal emails and I also have a Work Re...

Re-using Contacts/PAB file
A user had to have Windows XP re-installed. Outlook 2003, POP3 email. I saved the PST file and the PAB file. - Re-installed Windows. - Setup Outlook, and imported the old PST. Set the old PST as the default file, and removed the mailbox/PST that was created when I initially setup Outlook. - Found instructions on the net on importing the PAB file for her Contacts. Everything seem to go ok, it appeared to import, gave the status bar going across the screen, but when it was done, no Contacts. I thought maybe the profile was corrupt. Deleted the profile, created a new ...