RE: Excel Drop down box question

Hey all,

I am using excel 2007 on XP Professional SP2.  I am using a drop down
box on a worksheet that selects from a column of designated data
elsewhere on the worksheet.  The data I have is 1 row of codes, with 1
row of descriptions for that code.  I would like to select a code in the
drop down box and have the corresponding description fill in an adjacent
cell to the drop down box.  Is this possible?

Example

Codes   Description
1 	One
2	Two
3	Three
4	Four
etc...

When code '1' is selected in the drop down box for cell A1, I want cell
A2 to populate with 'One'.  A2's data of course is based on what is
selected in A1.

Thanks.

-psnell
0
theredfox
2/10/2010 7:04:34 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't have 2007 but I think VLOOKUP will do what you want.  Something like
this in A2:

=VLOOKUP(A1,F1:G20,2,0)

Where A1 is the drop down cell and column F has the Codes and column G has
the Description.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"theredfox" <newsgroup.only@please.com> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I am using excel 2007 on XP Professional SP2.  I am using a drop down box
> on a worksheet that selects from a column of designated data elsewhere on
> the worksheet.  The data I have is 1 row of codes, with 1 row of
> descriptions for that code.  I would like to select a code in the drop
> down box and have the corresponding description fill in an adjacent cell
> to the drop down box.  Is this possible?
>

> Example
>

> Codes   Description
> 1 One
> 2 Two
> 3 Three
> 4 Four
> etc...
>

> When code '1' is selected in the drop down box for cell A1, I want cell A2
> to populate with 'One'.  A2's data of course is based on what is selected
> in A1.
>

> Thanks.
>
> -psnell

Printing problem from Excel 2007

DDP (Drop down Box)
i have a front sheet that has data input onto it, this then feeds into sheets Monday thru Sunday, I would like to print data on occassions and have decided to creat a form for this option, what i dont want to do is allow users access to the data on the pages then print, am looking for a safe way to do this and decided a form, drop down box, selecting the day of the week to be printed and this would print the required data, Any idea of the code for example, Selecting Monday in the Drop down box, would then print the Sheet "Mon" Tuesday in DDB would then print "Tue" and s...

Failed to customize the dialog box of toolbar
I cannot fill the left-hand list box of toolbar's dialog box,and if I delete one button in toolbar,I lost it. Below is my code: [code] #include <windows.h> #include <commctrl.h> #include "resource.h" #define ID_TOOLBAR 20001 static char *szAppName = "Study Toolbar" ; LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc( HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM ) ; TBBUTTON tbButtons[] = { {STD_FILENEW, IDM_FILE_NEW, TBSTATE_ENABLED, TBSTYLE_BUTTON | BTNS_SHOWTEXT, 0, 0}, // 1 {STD_FILEOPEN, IDM_FILE_OPEN, TBSTATE_ENABLED, TBSTYLE_BUTTON, 0, 0}, // 2 {STD_FILESAVE, IDM_FILE_SAVE, TBSTATE...

excel charts #24
Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? Hi, Move off the chart, press the Shift or Ctrl keys and select the chart. Then right-click it and choose Format Object On the Properties sheet select Don't move or size with cells -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Lorena" wrote: > Is it possible to freeze a chart in excel and then add another chart with > different column widths without having the changes affect the first chart? ...

Excel Mail Merger Problem
When merging excel with word for..my currrency field is dropping off zeros to the right of decimal point..if field has $ 56.03, it imports correctly, but if it is $56.00, it comes in as $56, if it is $56.30, it comes in as $56.3...this process is for invoices..any advice (I've tried everything)? Debra Dalgleish has given the following reply in newsgroups http://google.com/groups?threadm=3EBB0685.5080002%40contextures.com and has also identified the following MS KB articles in such as : http://google.com/groups?threadm=3DFA8DA8.6000209%40contextures.com 304387 - WD: Date, Phone N...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Excel 2002
Have several spreadsheet files I use routinely. Three have recently crashed after I added another sheet. In each case the document recovery created a file missing all the color and text formats that the file contained before the crash. Not sure what other changes may have occurred. Is there something wrong with the copy of Excel on my PC? Could these three files be corrupt? Is there a procedure to "clean-up" these files? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Mark Hi sounds like they are corrupted. I would suggest to copy the data + formats to a new, 'fresh' workbook. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

Message "class not registered" opening sheet with macros Excel 97
I have created a document with Macros and is password protected. I have sent it to several people who are able to use it - the one who can't is using Excel 97 SP2. They are getting error message "class not registered" - could it be the version they are using and how do I make sure they are able to use it. This could simply be a version issue if you developed on a later version and used controls from that versions object libraries. You should always use the lowest version to develop on. If this is not the case look in the VBE on the faulty machine and check tools>ref...

How do I display two excel pages at the same time?
I want to have two excel pages displayed on my computer at the same time, but when I open both pages it uses the same master excel and when I toggle between the two it won't open both of them up. I'm using office 2003. Thanks for the help. -- snowtime ------------------------------------------------------------------------ snowtime's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25982 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=393499 Open both and then do windows>arrange and vertical (or any of the other choices, I usuall...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

Excel, how do I get ALT F C to work the same as ALT F Enter C ?
The above is an example, but it aplies to any menu. Before, if I pressed say, ALT F, the drop down menu would appear and I could press, say, C and get to the submenu. Now I have to press Enter, before the C, which is a bother. Thanks. On my Windows 2000 version 5.00.2195 with Excel '97 and Excel 2003 the Alt F C still works. What version software / Excel are you using? -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www....

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

FIX at bottom-right of Excel screen. Know what it means?
When ever I open a worksheet the bottom right corner of the screen (by the CAPS, SCRL, etc alerts) FIX is showing. Does anyone know what is causing this? It means you have fixed decimal settings checked under tools>options>edit -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bobbert" <Bobbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFFD8EFF-D7A2-42D8-862E-E0B1F535A5BE@microsoft.com... > When ever I open a worksheet the bottom right corner of the screen (by the > CAPS, SCRL, etc alerts) FIX is showing. Does anyone know what is causing > this? Tools>Options&g...

How do I easily draw in Excel the Upper and Lower limits of a con.
How do I easily draw in Excel the Upper and Lower limits of a control chart? I want to draw lines for target, min value and max values. How I can do that without having to make complete data series? Judy, Jon Peltier has just updated his site to include a Run chart that you could revise to be a control chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html Jon also has an example of a dynamic control chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html#CtrlCht ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Judy" wrote: > How do I easily draw in ...

DoModal() question.
I have a dialog class dlg. When I use dlg.DoModal(), there're always two buttons "Cancel" and "Ok" on popup window which I didn't put there. They seem to be put there by system default. How to remove them? Thanks. Frank E Rogers wrote: > I have a dialog class dlg. When I use dlg.DoModal(), there're always two > buttons "Cancel" and "Ok" on popup window which I didn't put there. They > seem to be put there by system default. How to remove them? > Thanks. > > First, you better add message handlers for them. Your ha...

Question Regarding Excel 2007 Formatting Corruption

simple xss question
Hello, One thing I dont understand about XSS: 1.There is a page with a text box 2. I inject some Javascript into that textbox that shows a form in a new div that can send content somewhere. Am I not the only one that sees this form? What good is it if the next person that goes to the website just sees the page sent from the server correctly? Thanks Its usually more of a problem when they get access to your filesystem or database ... As i've found out the hard way On 16/02/2010 14:51, in article 49e2f337-0f2c-46f1-87d4-b58b1275ef40@f17g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "...

Date Range Formula Question
Hello, I'm having trouble with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help. :confused: Sample Data Includes the following: Pay Period Start Pay Period End Pay Period # 12/16/01 12/29/01 26 12/30/01 01/12/02 25 01/13/01 01/26/02 24 01/27/02 02/09/02 23 02/10/02 02/23/02 22 The pay periods continue until there are 26 pay periods for the entire year....

InPlace ugrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003 recovery question
Hi, Will shortly be doing an inplace upgrade from Exchange 2000 enterprise edition to Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition. After we do all the steps ie. Forestprep/domainprep etc then do the actual upgrade if the upgrade fails how do we roll back. We use Brightstor Arcserve version 11 which is supported by Exchange 2000 and we backup doing the Full method not bricks level. I have documentation on how to restore Exchange using this but this just restores the database to my knowledge (never had to do it) with exchange 2000 so how do I roll back a failed upgrade. We have to do an inplace...

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Textbox's truncated once printed (Excel 2000)
When using text boxs in excel if the data entry is larger than the text box it does not print out everything in the text box. Is there a way to get it to print out all the information contained in the text box. For the only two solutions I can think of is 1) Make the text boxs bigger but my manager rejected the idea. 2)Cut an paste the information onto a excel spreedsheet then print it that way by using a macro but that is a last resort. Dear Robert, 1) 2) and 3) Reject your manager. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't. 4) Perhaps ... use a smaller font? 5) Refrase your text ... Fran...