Re: Can anyone help me with the IF function

Hello

I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling o
employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can us
seven functions to describe the period and the
value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions i
says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions

IF(B13<4,"7.75")
IF(B13=4,"7.25")
IF(B13=5,"6.25")
IF(B13=6,"7.75")
IF(B13=7,"6.75")
IF(B13=8,"6.25")
IF(B13>8,"4")

Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the followin
formula excel tells me the following formula
contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the firs
part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks

IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))

BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the appropriat
hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she ca
quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours

--
Bobsle
Bobsled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3730

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Look in HELP for the VLOOKUP() function.
Post again in this thread if you can't get it done.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bobsled" <Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

| Hello
|
| I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
| employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
| are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can use
| seven functions to describe the period and the
| value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
| says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
| fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions
|
| IF(B13<4,"7.75")
| IF(B13=4,"7.25")
| IF(B13=5,"6.25")
| IF(B13=6,"7.75")
| IF(B13=7,"6.75")
| IF(B13=8,"6.25")
| IF(B13>8,"4")
|
| Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the following
| formula excel tells me the following formula
| contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
| part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
| help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks
|
| IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))
|
| BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the appropriate
| hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she can
| quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.
|

| --
| Bobsled
| Bobsled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571470

0
nicolaus (2022)
8/14/2006 5:25:06 PM
Bobsled,

Try...
=LOOKUP(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11},{7.75,7.75,7.75,7.25,6.25,7.75,6.75,6.25,4,4,4,4})

Beege
"Bobsled" <Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
> employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
> are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can use
> seven functions to describe the period and the
> value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
> says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
> fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions
>
> IF(B13<4,"7.75")
> IF(B13=4,"7.25")
> IF(B13=5,"6.25")
> IF(B13=6,"7.75")
> IF(B13=7,"6.75")
> IF(B13=8,"6.25")
> IF(B13>8,"4")
>
> Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the following
> formula excel tells me the following formula
> contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
> part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
> help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks
>
> IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))
>
> BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the appropriate
> hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she can
> quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.
>

> --
> Bobsled
> Bobsled's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571470

Your brackets are off
IF(B13<4,"7.75",IF(B13=4,"7.25",IF(B13=5,"6.25",IF(B13=6,"7.75",IF(B13=7,"6.75",IF(B13=8,"6.25",4))))))

I replaced the last if with the static value 4 as there is no other
possibilty at this stage.  That is, you've exhausted all other options,
and "4" is the only possible solution.

You might want to set up a lookup table:
1   8
2   8
8   4
9   4
etc.

and use VLookup instead.

Bobsled wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
> employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
> are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can use
> seven functions to describe the period and the
> value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
> says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
> fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions
>
> IF(B13<4,"7.75")
> IF(B13=4,"7.25")
> IF(B13=5,"6.25")
> IF(B13=6,"7.75")
> IF(B13=7,"6.75")
> IF(B13=8,"6.25")
> IF(B13>8,"4")
>
> Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the following
> formula excel tells me the following formula
> contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
> part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
> help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks
>
> IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))
>
> BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the appropriate
> hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she can
> quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.
>

> --
> Bobsled
> Bobsled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571470

Bobsled explained on 2006-8-15 :
> Hello

> I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
> employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
> are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can use
> seven functions to describe the period and the
> value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
> says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
> fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions

> IF(B13<4,"7.75")
> IF(B13=4,"7.25")
> IF(B13=5,"6.25")
> IF(B13=6,"7.75")
> IF(B13=7,"6.75")
> IF(B13=8,"6.25")
> IF(B13>8,"4")

> Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the following
> formula excel tells me the following formula
> contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
> part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
> help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks

> IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))

> BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the appropriate
> hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she can
> quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.

there is something wrong with your formula, the correct one should be
as the following:

=IF(A2="",0,IF(A2<4,7.75,IF(A2=4,7.25,IF(A2=5,6.25,IF(A2=6,7.75,IF(A2=7,6.75,IF(A2=8,6.25,IF(A2>8,4,A2))))))))

but there is another problem I am not clear, if the hour is 4.5, how
much should the associated period be?

If the criteria is continuous, Lookup function might be the a better
choice.

Jack

Thanks a million for the LOOKUP function it works perfectly!!!!

BOBSLED

Beege Wrote:
> Bobsled,
>
> Try...
> =LOOKUP(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11},{7.75,7.75,7.75,7.25,6.25,7.75,6.75,6.25,4,4,4,4})
>
> Beege
> "Bobsled" <Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com> wrot
> in
> message news:Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
> > employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
> > are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I ca
> use
> > seven functions to describe the period and the
> > value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
> > says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
> > fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions
> >
> > IF(B13<4,"7.75")
> > IF(B13=4,"7.25")
> > IF(B13=5,"6.25")
> > IF(B13=6,"7.75")
> > IF(B13=7,"6.75")
> > IF(B13=8,"6.25")
> > IF(B13>8,"4")
> >
> > Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to th
> following
> > formula excel tells me the following formula
> > contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
> > part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
> > help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks
> >

> IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))
> >
> > BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 th
> appropriate
> > hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way sh
> can
> > quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.
> >

> > --
> > Bobsled

> > Bobsled's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
> > View this thread

Bobsle
Bobsled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3730
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57147

No reason for all those duplicate values.
This is a little shorter:

=LOOKUP(B13,{0,1,4,5,6,7,8,9;0,7.75,7.25,6.25,7.75,6.75,6.25,4})

--
HTH,

RD

"Bobsled" <Bobsled.2cjmh5_1155581107.8733@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Bobsled.2cjmh5_1155581107.8733@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thanks a million for the LOOKUP function it works perfectly!!!!
>
> BOBSLED
>

> Beege Wrote:
>> Bobsled,
>>
>> Try...
>> =LOOKUP(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11},{7.75,7.75,7.75,7.25,6.25,7.75,6.75,6.25,4,4,4,4})
>>
>> Beege
>> "Bobsled" <Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:Bobsled.2cjib4_1155575707.044@excelforum-nospam.com...
>> >
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling of
>> > employees.  She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some
>> > are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less.  I can
>> use
>> > seven functions to describe the period and the
>> > value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions it
>> > says the formula is invalid.  I'm sure it can be
>> > fixed by one of you excel gurus!  Here are the functions
>> >
>> > IF(B13<4,"7.75")
>> > IF(B13=4,"7.25")
>> > IF(B13=5,"6.25")
>> > IF(B13=6,"7.75")
>> > IF(B13=7,"6.75")
>> > IF(B13=8,"6.25")
>> > IF(B13>8,"4")
>> >
>> > Each individually works great!  When I consolidate it to the
>> following
>> > formula excel tells me the following formula
>> > contains an error, and when I click on the summation sign the first
>> > part of the function is considered invalid.  Please
>> > help me as I'am at a dead end!  Thanks
>> >

>> IF((B13<4,"7.75"),IF(B13=4,"7.25"),IF(B13=5,"6.25"),IF(B13=6,"7.75"),IF(B13=7,"6.75"),IF(B13=8,"6.25"),IF(B13>8,"4"))
>> >
>> > BTW what I want this formula to do is when I type 1-11 the
>> appropriate
>> > hour value associated with that period is displayed.  This way she
>> can
>> > quickly describe the period time frame and can easily track hours.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Bobsled

>> > Bobsled's Profile:
>> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
>> > View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571470
>> >

> --
> Bobsled
> Bobsled's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37303
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571470

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Help with SQL (Access2007)
Hello. I am trying to integrate data from several sites into 1 (new) table. In order to distinguish the data from each site in the new table I have a field (InstID) which holds the Instution number of the site. The fields from the old site tables and the new table are identical except for the InstID. InstID and ClientID are Primary Keys. The path to the old table is asked, then the number for the InstID is asked and placed as a variable - varInstID. I have an append sql as follows: Private Sub UpdateDB_Click() ' populate the clients table strSql = "INSERT INTO tblClients ( In...

forecast function help
This might seem a bit newbie but im having trouble with the forecas function. Say for example i have a collection of data for sales of each item ove a number of years: item 2000 2001 2002 2003 1 3 4 5 2 4 3 2 3 2 2 4 4 3 1 5 5 4 1 6 6 2 2 4 i am asked to forcast the values for the year 2003. I have read an looked at many examples on how to do this and still can't work ou where to start? Any help would ...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo #2
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = .Range("A1").Text End With End Sub This code should go in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "wngg001" <wngg001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A0F9D9E-269F-45CF-A6E3...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

Need help with Excel Form & ComboBox Tutorial
At http://www.excel-vba.com/v-forms-controls.htm I have followed instructions... my code on the form is below but it won't run... I've marked the error... Can anybody give me any help with this? thanks Code is below-------------- Private Sub cmdBtnSubmit_Click() shReport.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub cmdCityCancel_Click() cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Activate() shParameterst.Activate '<-----Run Time Error 424 - Object Required...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Calender function
I want to be able to insert a drop down function in a cell in Excel that when I click on the drop down arrow, I get a monthly calender to pick dates from instead of typing them in. This feature exists in MS Project. Maybe you like this http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "John Welcher" <john.welcher@owenscorning.com> wrote in message news:057201c3a252$339c5fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I want to be able to insert a drop down function in a cell > in Excel that when I click on the drop down ar...

Customer Address Help
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to run a customer report that invluced the customers address, city, state, and zip in it. I am not very familiar with crystal reports, so if there is another way that would be awesome. Thanks, -Bill H On CustomerSource there is a section called the "Report Library"- I think it's under downloads. In the RMS Report Library MS has provided several new or modified reports, including one with customer address. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:40:10 -0700, Bill H <bill@platinumpools.com> wrote: > Hi, I was wondering if anybody k...

Macro Help/Duplicate Items + Insert Rows + Sum
I am trying to create a template that will do the following: 1. Find Duplicate Entries (AlphaNumeric) In A Column 2. Insert 2 Rows Between The Duplicate Entries Then: 1. Sub-Total(Another Column With Random Numbers) Of The Duplicate Entries 2. Format the Sub-Total In Bold I have gotten to the point of writting a macro that will identify the duplicate entries; does anybody know how to do the rest? This is a changing set of data, transferred to excel from a relational database (Lotus123 Rel2, which contains anywhere between 3000 to 5000 rows. I cannot spend time grouping the data ...

Help with graph / chart
I have a graph for weeks 1-52, I have split this into 4 seperate graphs each showing a quarter (13 weeks) I cant remember exactly how I created them but possibly using some sort of copy paste as each chart show weeks 1 - 13 along the bottom. This should read......... for chart 1 1-13 for chart 2 14 - 26 chart 3 27 - 40 chart 4 41 - 52 How do I change this on each chart to read the week numbers indicated.? thanks Hi, You need to define the Category labels for the chart. Chart 1 is fine as it defaults to the values 1 to 13. For the other 3 charts you will need to create...

Owner draw buttons : 2D look...Can it be 3D?
hi, Priyanka here... i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click on the CButton, it gives a 3D feel as the text shows some offset and the button gives a pressed look. but in the owner draw buttons, there is no such 3D effect i can see. can we make it possible? Thanks Priyanka priya wrote: > hi, > Priyanka here... > i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look > of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click > on the CButton, it gives...

unable to load help topic
Using Money 2004 deluxe. Asking for help I get "unable to load topic" try again. No help, same responce. I went to MS Knowledge base article 812755. Which says 'clear the cache' Which I did. No help, still 'unable to load topic' Tried asking a 'Microsoft pro', could not get a screen to ask my question. Any suggestions? I cleared both MS IE and my default browser, and tried again, still no help. Seems like I should be able to get 'HELP' I even reloaded the Money program, still no HELP. Thanks for any 'HELP" Walt In microsoft.public.money...

Re: Two-Column Problem
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Charley Kyd <kyd@incsight.com>... > But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two > columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, > not two. Can't you create your text boxes yourself? Or change the text box that appears to a two-column one? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Massive Report: Have you ever done this? Help Please
Hi, I am compiling the results of a survey in ACC2003 as a paper appendix. I have about 60 report objects which are about 2 to 4 pages of text each. I have about 60 Pivot Charts and tables as separate form objects. I want to have one report which has the charts and tables and text in it since this would be easy to layout and the page numbering would flow right through. Is this the correct way to do it? I have made a start and the first few pages are fine with charts and tables. However, Access seems to have space restrictions on the height of a report group? When I increase the ...

SMTP Help!!!
I have a customer with a new Exchange 2003 server Single AD domain on one server DNS server local and seems to be working correctly Cable internet through Comcast Had been receiving 2012 and 2013 app log events Increased the DNSErrorsBeforeFailover as suggested in a knowledgebase article 2012 & 2013 Errors have stop but replaced with 4006 events No mail flow inbound or outbound for past 2 days!! SMTP appears busted, cannot telnet in or out on Port 25 even though firewall has port forwarding on that port Switched firewalls with same result Noticed periodic Back Orifice attack attem...

Is there a work-a-round i can use for making a datagrid....
Hey all, I am trying to make a datagrid on a form that the user would input info, and once completed, it would be put in correct area's of the workbook. I cant use a datagrid as job doesn't alw downloads for net so i cant get the update needed to alw me to use datagrids( see post sugj: "Missing Control In Addin") is there a way i can use a text box or some other box or tool to do this? When you say "form", do you mean UserForm or worksheet set up to look like a data input form? If a UserForm, then yes, you can use TextBoxes, but you didn't supp...

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ...
/* I am trying to practice multidimensional array in a managed class using dynamical allocation. If I tried to compile the following codes, I would get the under mentioned c2440 error message. It is only practice. You may notice that I am not using "private" or constructor here. Can anybody tell me what is wrong and how I can rewrite that line right? Thanks a lot. */ #include "stdafx.h" #include <string.h> #include <string> #using <mscorlib.dll> #include <tchar.h> using namespace System; using namespace std; __gc class Month { public:...

scanner can't read barcodes on paper
My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. I will not barcodes on receipt either. any suggestions will be great. Thanks I had the same problem. I only had this problem with certain barcodes. When I looked at the ones that the scanner wasn't reading, I noticed that they all used lower case letters. As soon as I changed the letters to upper case I was able to scan the labels. "country" wrote: > My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. > I will not barcodes on receipt either. > > any suggestions will be g...

Basic Worksheet Help
I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? These are Excel groups -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS web: www.nickhodge.co.uk blog (non-tech): www.nickhodge.co.uk/blog/ <Hollins3@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:1180278623.923893.261800@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? > Hollins3@googlemail.com wrote: > I can't find an auto sum function in google worksheet. Can some help? > Easy workaround:...

Macro Error, annoying plz help?
Hi, new to this board and kinda new to Excel as well. I created an excell file which includes various (difficult) calculations. And it's all finished and ready for distribution :P Cept for 2 minor things which i can't seem 2 fix. The most important one is this Macro Error which keeps popping up when you open the file. (I included a combo-box form, i think it's gotta do with that). Because if u pick something from that list (combo box) the error pops up again, very annoying of course. There is one way to prevent this as far as i could see and that was by setting macro security low....

Migration: Migrated custom fields can't sync with plan
We migrated a set of enterprise global fields from 2003 to 2007. However, some of the post migration changes to these fields can't be reflected into project professional for all plans. Example, we have a project outline code in 2003 called Portfolio, which is a hierarchical set of values. In 2003, we allowed selection of non-leave node and didn't allow multi-selection. After migration, we changed the settings of the field to allow only leave node and multi-selection. However, these changes are neither picked up by migrated project plans nor newly created project plan....

Can you work this backwards
Previously I used 3 simple formulas (if statements) to calculate a charge, so if E9 =3D=A33000 then the formula for the charge was =3DIF(E9<=3D1000;E9*1.1;"=A3100") then =3DIF(AND(E9>1000;E9 <=3D2000);(E9-1000)*0.9;"=A3200") =3DIF(E9>2000;(E9-2000)*0.5;) Total Cost ... of above 3 items plus E9 (=A33000) Now people are asking to spend a total of =A33000 including the charge, so now Total Cost is to be =A33000 and then I have to work back to find E9. How is the best way to do this please. Bob Hi, Use the "Solver" utility in Excel. Let us suppose ...

Bug in excel fundamantal add-function
Hi Where can I report a bug in excel? OK I try this group. Try this A1 = -621,2 A2 = 2 A3 = 1 A4 = -540,2 A5 = 175 A6 = 986,4 A7 = SUM(A1:A6) A7 must be 3 - but try to have 13 decimals...!!! is this a BUG? I think so Using Danish XP and danish 2002 SP3 No, it's not a bug. It's a "feature" of XL using IEEE double precision floating point math. Most numbers can't be exactly represented in a finite number of binary digits, just as 1/3 can't be exactly represented by a finite number of decimal digits. You can use ROUND() to round to zero if it's necessary. ...

how do I get the if function to return a blank cell, not 0?
I am trying to create a chart from a series that contains data for each month. The series is calculated on other worksheets and copied to the worksheet containing the chart. I would like to have the cells for the months that have not been updated yet (now is January, there are 0' in all cells for Feb-Dec) to be blank (to create gaps in the chart) not 0's. Can this be done? Unfortunately, what you want, and what many of us have requested but doesn't exist, is a worksheet function like BLANK() or NULL(). The best we can do is use NA() in a chart's data source, which is...