Questions concerning OLAP Cubes

This functionality is in Excel but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate
group to ask the question. Please redirect me to a better group if
appropriate.

I've used the functionality contained with Excel to create an OLAP Cube for
analysis in pivot tables and charts. {Data | Get External Data etc. } This
creates a file with the "cub" extension. Suppose I send this cube to another
person. How do they open it in Excel, without re-running the query? Do they
need the original Excel file?

Comparing this functionality with alternate tools like say Cognos. I notice
that Cognos can accept the "transaction" data in a separate file/query from
the hierarchies or metadata. This makes for a much more efficient cube
build, because each hierachies invariably holds many levels of text strings
indicating parent child relations, which can be joined to the transactional
data on a one-many relation on a short "key" field. Creating a cube with
Excel seems to require the data be joined into a single query view, which
makes the query result set huge and time consuming to run. Am I missing
something? Is there a way to create a cube in Excel, without joining the
hierarchy to the transaction data (ie the "join" is postponed to the last)

0
fake1 (15)
12/12/2003 4:38:42 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

A Question about Diffgram Updates

Licensing question Terminal Services
Hey, I've got the following setup: - Windows SBS 2008 OEM on two machines (one AD/DC and one with the MS SQL 2008 server on it) - Windows Server 2008 Standard on a third machine acting as the Terminal Server I've purchased five TS User CALs and installed them on the TS machine - working, four used. I'm not very sure about two things though. If I buy new TS CALs do I have to buy five CALs for the SBS, too? And if, wouldn't a Windows Server CAL instead of the more expensive SBS CAL be enough? Thank you in advance -- pannal --------------------------...

VLOOK up Question
In column A, B, and F I have look up tables which correspond to my data in Columnd D. Everything works great until as long as D11 data is alphabetically before D12, but if I try to enter things which are not alphabetical I yield results. How do I correct this? We would have more luck helping you if you showed us the VLOOKUP formula you are using All look-up function need the data to be sort either ascending or descending Also the key (the item looked up) need to be in the first column of the table If this is not possible then you have to use a mixture of MATCH and INDEX Give mor...

Pasting Question
I copy and paste results from a query in access to excel. For example, the first and last name of a person. When I try to concatenate the two names in excel, I get extra spaces behind each name. Is there a way I can get rid of those spaces, so that when I concatenate, it would look normal. Hi Metalteck- Do you have any idea where these 'spaces' are coming from? I have tried to replicate the issue as you describe it and can't even force data from Access hold any trailing spaces. Are the first & last names in separate fields/columns? How are you 'concatenating' t...

ADAMSYNC userProxy
Hi Lee, I want to replicate two distinct AD Databases in my ADAM instance but I can´t convert the users into userProxy. When I syncronize only users (don´t convert in .xml file to userProxy) it works. My ADAM instance is installed on a machine that don´t belong on any of the domains that I want to replicate (this machine is configured as stand alone workgroup). Any problem with that? I need to be joined in the domain that I want to replicate to my ADAM instance? I´m asking that because it appears that I can´t convert users to userProxy if I´...

Question regarding Linq to XML query
This is my first foray into Linq for XML, so I'm probably doing something relatively easy to correct. First off, I have some XML similar to below: <packet xmlns:ns2="http://www.swsoft.com/webservices/vzl/4.0.0/server_group" xmlns:ns1="http://www.swsoft.com/webservices/vzl/4.0.0/protocol" xmlns:ns4="http://www.swsoft.com/webservices/vza/4.0.0/vzatypes" xmlns:ns3="http://www.swsoft.com/webservices/vzl/4.0.0/types" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" time="2009-04-28T19:04:02+0000" priority="0" ...

VBScript question
I have a script that I run during logon and a different one at logoff. the drive mapping part of the script works just fine. But the voice part doesn't. Now, If I copy the script from the network and run it locally, it'll run the voice part. Any ideas? I've removed the drive mapping for security purposes. Dim WSHNetwork Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 'Grab the user name UserString = WSHNetwork.UserName 'Speech add on (make your pc say hello to you) '-------------------------------------------- Dim HourNow, GreetingB...

Data Table Question
Hello, Is it possible to not show a series in the Data Table but have the line or value shown in the chart? I have one or two series that I don't want to see in the Data Table, but the rest of the series I want to see. Thanks! I don't believe that is possible with the standard data table. However, you can format the background of the chart to match the background of the worksheet cells at the bottom of your chart. You can use these cells as your custom data table. Then applying some color and border formatting, you can include the cells and chart together and wrap a dark bo...

Quick question - Report
I have two fields in a report that are "Memo" type. I defined this fields in a report as they can Grow and/or Shrink. However, the information on this fields is trucated. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem. Thank you for you collaboration and guidance. Luis luis.a.roman@gmail.com wrote: > I have two fields in a report that are "Memo" type. I defined this > fields in a report as they can Grow and/or Shrink. However, the > information on this fields is trucated. > > Any suggestions on how to correct this problem. > > Thank you for you col...

Clustering question
Hi, I have a four node cluster built on windows server 2008 R2. The cluster itself is fine and I can manage it through the GUI no problem. Hi, However I recently discovered that I can manage it from powershell on he R2 box itself. all I have to do is import the library "FAILOVERCLUSTERS " first. so he first statement in my powershell scrip is always import-module powershell FAILOVERCLUSTERS however, it would be really cool if I could use this functionality from my client machine (win xp sp3) I have loaded powershell 2.0 on it, however, running the statement ...

pop connector question
Probably a stupid question, but...... I have exchange (SBS 4.5 actually).. exchange 5.5 The server is behind a firewall, all our mail is forwarded to a mailbox at the ISP and we use a third party pop connector to retrieve it. Works well and has for years... For more years than I have been here... The ISP is getting ready to move us to a different mail server with a different pop and smtp address. I know how to change the pop connector to access the new pop server and retrieve the mail, but I'm not sure how to change the SMTP address, or even if I need to...? How does exchange send ...

Unread mail messages question
How can my Unread Mail folder show LESS messages (by one) than the Unread count in my Inbox? Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote: > How can my Unread Mail folder show LESS messages (by one) than the > Unread count in my Inbox? This could happen if the unread count were wrong. -- Brian Tillman ...

Interesting Sort / Criteria / Query / Report question:
Hi again all! I've managed to wrap my head around my database and find the best ways to enter the data I need and pull it back out into reports (((GRIN))). The problem now is a bit more complex than I've ever encountered in Access or any other program: I need my DB to make intelligent, judgement-based decisions for me. Here's the background: I have one table of Training with the following fields: Training ID, Course Title, Position Assigned, Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, Enrolled, and Complete -The final five fields are yes/no. Basic training must be completed wi...

Newbie in XML with C# question
Hello, I am learning how to using XML documents to store data. I get this error: Access to the path "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Info.xml" is denied. I have tried with the full path of the file, with / infront of the file. How do I get the data in too the xml document Here is the code below: using System; using System.Collections; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Data; using System.Drawing; using System.Web; using System.Web.SessionState; using System.Web.UI; using System.Web.UI.WebControls; using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls; using System.Xml; using System.Xml.XPath; ...

reference question #2
A few days ago, some kind person introduced me to the INDIRECT function as a way of keeping a formula pointed at a fixed cell even after I've inserted a column or two on the worksheet. (Thank you!) Turns out, though, that while I need that fixed reference to a given column, I actually want a relative reference to the rows on the worksheet. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to set my formula up so the reference to a given column is absolute but the row floats? Thanks! =INDIRECT("B"&ROW(1:1)) for B1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Exc...

If Question 03-24-10
Hi, I have a column with times in it 11:28:46 AM 11:29:21 AM 11:29:50 AM 11:44:03 AM 11:44:10 AM 11:44:25 AM & would like to add the value Lunch or Dinner depending on wether the time is between say 9:00:00 AM and 2:00:00 PM for Lunch & 2:00:01 PM and 11:59:59 PM thanks in advance Check if the picture answers your question: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8118/nonameme.png Micky "Tango" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a column with times in it > > 11:28:46 AM > 11:29:21 AM > 11:29:50 AM > 11:44:03 AM > 11:44:10 A...

OWA 2003 Configuration Question
When we joined a new server to an Administration Group, the OWA did not pick up the Recipient Policy for that group. So, it used @address1.company.com instead of @address2.company.com. How do I change OWA to use @address2.company.com. Outlook doesn't interact with the Recipient Policy So you want to give a better description as to what is occuring. "henry65" <henry65@news.postalias> wrote in message news:847C9346-D916-473C-9AB9-CA61148567DC@microsoft.com... > When we joined a new server to an Administration Group, the OWA did not > pick > up the Recipient...

Publisher 2007 custom paper size question
Multiple Questions about Page Sizes - 1. How do I delete/remove unused page size files/objects? 2. How do I revise an existing page size file/object without creating a new page size file/object? There is a drop down in the page size, you can click delete. You can only delete one at a time. The built-in page setups will have the delete dimmed, you cannot accidently delete them. I don't think you can revise a page with creating a new file. I've had as many as 20 new size setups created when I am trying to figure out stuff. Publisher 2007 page setup is an adventure. -- Mary Saue...

VLOOKUP Question for New User
I have a list of 800 items I must look up from one worksheet and enter the price on another worksheet. The worksheets are not similar. Using a common item number that appears in both worksheets, will VLOOKUP do this for me? In other words copy a price from one worksheet to the proper column in another worksheet? Let's say that your common item numbers are both in column A =VLOOKUP(A2,OtherSheet!A:H,8,False) will pull the data from column H of the OtherSheet. If you actually have a separate workbook, then the formula will be slightly different, but not significantly. HTH, Berni...

Query question 10-10-07
I have tried and tried to figure this out and have not. If I have 10 fields in a query (all numbers, not text) and I want an 11th field to return the highest row value in that row (inother words, I have 159,134,190,167,122,189,201,182,174,140 as the values in one row) and I want the 11th row to return 201 (the highest value in that row) How? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Well, databases work VERTICALLY. You should have 10 rows, rather than one: someId, f1, f2, f3, ..., f10 ' fields name 1 10 21 31 ... 108 ' data the following would be preferable, ...

worksheet change question 04-02-10
I want to be able to enter a time, using "." instead of ":", so that when I enter the number, then press "Enter", the number changes from, say, 13.27.33 to 13:27:33. But I am having to reselect the cell to get it to change. What is wrong with my code? Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Selection.Replace What:=".", Replacement:=":", LookAt:=xlPart, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False Selection.NumberFormat = "h:mm:ss" End Su...

Need to recover space in SBS Exchange 2003, questions about removing users
Our store is running low on space. I've asked users to archive and purge messages until management gets around to getting me a dedicated Excahnge Enterprise server. Part of the process I'm running is to remove users that are no longer with the company. I'm using the Manage User section of Server Management. The option to delete email is checked, I click on OK and the system does its thing. The user's name eventially disappears. When I look at the Mailboxes in Exchange System Manager, the user's name is still there. How long does it take for the mailbox to be removed? Par...

Simple Question
I have an Access Database with a customised Command Menu bar. When I use the Packaging Wizrd of Microsft Developer, my finished program, on loading, displays a differnt Command Menu bar temporarily before showing the one i have created. Any ideas how i may solve this problem Thanks for any help Tim ...

Two questions
Hey everyone, I have two questions: 1. I have created a patient manager database that tracks appointments, billing, and medications. I have 4 subforms within a main form. I want to be able to create one main record with subrecords for appointments, billing, and medication associated to it. Can this be done? 2. Everytime I am in the database, other users can't save their records. How do I change this and still limit user access? Thank you in advance. -- bhsvixon On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:59:02 -0800, 1encapdiva <tgrandberry@encapomaha.org> wrote: >Hey ever...

Report Desin Question
I am trying to make a report. I have created two different headers and footers, the first header displays all of our headings, the second header displays the the second level headings. I then have a footer then shows sums of all the values. For some of the headings there are no values, so nothing shows up in the footer, as expected. problem is, it leaves a big space, the size of the footer. How can I get this set, to show no spaces when there are no results? On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:52:28 -0700, "James" <fake@email.com> wrote: >I am trying to make a report. >I ...