Question on Sorting by (date, etc)

I have a column (A) which sre dates.
If I select the column heading and click either the sort ascending or
desending button, the date column alone sorts independent of the other eight
columns that comprise the entire entry.
How would I go about being able to sort by a particular column and have
everything sort with it?
I have other columns that I would like to sort by sometimes too, like
"color", "type", etc.

Thanks for reading!

0
Ed
2/20/2009 6:21:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

select all the columns and now go to data | sort .

On Feb 20, 11:21=A0pm, "Ed" <2...@333.com> wrote:
> I have a column (A) which sre dates.
> If I select the column heading and click either the sort ascending or
> desending button, the date column alone sorts independent of the other ei=
ght
> columns that comprise the entire entry.
> How would I go about being able to sort by a particular column and have
> everything sort with it?
> I have other columns that I would like to sort by sometimes too, like
> "color", "type", etc.
>
> Thanks for reading!

0
muddanmadhu (119)
2/20/2009 6:51:03 PM
Try selecting any value in column A instead of the whole column, then click
the sort icon.

--
Steve

"Ed" <222@333.com> wrote in message
> I have a column (A) which sre dates.
> If I select the column heading and click either the sort ascending or
> desending button, the date column alone sorts independent of the other
> eight columns that comprise the entire entry.
> How would I go about being able to sort by a particular column and have
> everything sort with it?
> I have other columns that I would like to sort by sometimes too, like
> "color", "type", etc.
>
> Thanks for reading!

0
AltaEgo
2/20/2009 10:15:20 PM
I never let Excel guess my sort range.

You can have a blank column that is hidden or very narrow and Excel will
stop at that column and not include columns to the left or right of that.

Select all columns before sorting.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:15:20 +1100, "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote:

>Try selecting any value in column A instead of the whole column, then click
>the sort icon.

0
Gord
2/20/2009 10:29:09 PM
You are correct. I should not have assumed the user is aware that sort stops
at the first blank column.

The tried and true method:

- Highlight area requiring sort
- Click 'Data', 'Sort'
- Choose your options

Be careful of the option whether to choose "my data range has"  Header row /
No header row.

If you get it wrong press [Ctrl]/Z  and try again.

--
Steve

> I never let Excel guess my sort range.

0
AltaEgo
2/20/2009 11:17:02 PM
1.Select all the column that have data
2.Click in data>sort from menubar
3.From sort by drop down list select column A
4.Ckeck the ascending option and click ok
Now you got all the columns sorted by column A

Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into an online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com

0
chris4082 (16)

Macro Question Again
I'v never had any dealings w/ macro before, so this is all new to me. I have a windows 98 computer that is running office 2000 and there is an excel macro on this pc that was created by someone years ago. I have to get this 98 machine of the network and replace it w/ a 2000/XP platform also running either office 2000/xp. So far i'v copied the macro and am able to run it, but its not gathering the correct info. It is collecting the correct info on the 98 machine, just not the one im replacing it w/. It looks like some of the fields are supposed to be populated w/ info in a text d...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

sales line detail window-after updating the request Ship Date-also
I am also using manufacturing, when you change the requested ship date, you get a window asking: You can update the In House due date, What is the name of this window in modifer? I would like to modify this form, so the No button is disables, I want to make sure they always click 'yes' How do I find this form in modifer? the form name is just 'Microsoft GP Dynamics' thanks -- Doug ...

Licensing Question with Professional Suite
Hey, I've seen some licensing questions out there, but wanted to be clear. Microsoft Reps are giving me different information, but admit they do not know!? I think there needs to be a little more training with the CRM licensing. I need the CRM Professional Suite (sales and service). If I have 5 sales people (that don't really need to get into the Service Stuff), and I have 5 Service People (that don't need to do anything with Leads and other stuff), can I purchase 5 Sales Professional Users and 5 Service Professional Users? Or do I still need to purchase the Suite User...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

Posting Date used in Revenue Expense Deferral
I have a PM Invoice with Document Date 16/11/2009 and Posting Date of 01/12/2009. Entered Deferral details starting 01/12/2009. In GL the deferral charges commence 01/12/2009 and are all as expected. The Credit entry for the full invoice is posted to GL with posting date of 01/12/2009. The problem I have is that the Debit entry for the full invoice amount is posted to the document date of 16/11/2009 and I want it to be the same as the invoice posting date (01/12/2009) Is there a way to do this? Thanks Audrey ...

IF question...
I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the cell if it falls between 1 and 10. Otherwise, I want the cell to return a 0 value. Anybody? =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=10),what?,0) On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:15:06 -0700, "mailrail" <mailrail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a >certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the >cell if it falls between 1 and 10....

Can excell notify me of due dates?
If I have due dates on my worksheet can I set something up so that I am notified on these dates? I've used this to help me. http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html "Deion007" wrote: > If I have due dates on my worksheet can I set something up so that I am > notified on these dates? ...

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

Pivot Chart: Stop skipping Dates on X-Axis
I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for each day. Except somedays which may have only the one piece of data from Table 2 or none at all. How do I get the table to automatically fill in all the days whether they have information or not? =?Utf-8?B?UHJpbmNl?= <Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A5EF53AB-6063-434F-BFC3-43259301751D@microsoft.com: > I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one > table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for &...

Excel date changes
I have created a spreadsheet using excel which requires the use dates on a monthly basis (similar to a calendar). The problem I have is that every month I have to go in and change the dates on the spreadsheet to reflect those of the current month before printing. Is there a way I can make it so that excel does that for me every month. Thanks, I'd really appreciate the input. Please elaborate on what the spreadsheet looks like. "phonescoop@hotmail.com" wrote: > I have created a spreadsheet using excel which requires the use dates > on a monthly basis (similar to a cal...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

Dates #12
I have a rather looooong list of dates (mm/dd/yy). In a column beside it I want just month and year so I can, for example, find all books sold in a month range. Can you help? NO need where rngA has your dates and rngB is a count of the sales =sumproduct((year(rngA)=2004)*(month(rngA)=8)*(rngB)) to sum rngC if it had the price total for each date =sumproduct((year(rngA)=2004)*(month(rngA)=8)*rngC) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Lyndie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83fd01c48543$7d211680$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a ...

Easy question on Excel...
Hello I have an Excel workbook open which has 5 worksheets. How do I toggle through them manually without using the mouse to click a sheet? I am sure I used to know how but now I forget! Regards Alex Try Ctrl + PageUp Ctrl + PageDown Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well done. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >Try > >Ctrl + PageUp > >Ctrl + PageDown > >Regards > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Ctrl + Page Up or Page Dow -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I th...

Excel template and access questions
We are going to use the Excel purhase order templates. We need to save each order in order to refer back to it. Is there a way to do this without saving each individual file (order)? Can we save in some sort of easy to locate "batch"? Also, is there a way to transfer a template that we have done (and all the data realted to it) into a Acess database withouthaveing to so much tweaking? If you have Access, I would suggest creating your purchase order database in Access and then having a mail merge push this information into an Excel template as needed, rather than going the othe...

can i see the date the last time a cell was changed?
I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. Use a worksheet_change event to copy the cell address and put in a date stamp. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "JohnNuTek" <JohnNuTek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5085A544-CBF4-4B81-A244-B03DE9A0E9E6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to figure out a formulla to make the date appear in one cell > everytime anouther cell's data is chaged. There really isn't a worksheet formula to do that. Typicall...

Button Control Event: question
I have a small dialog that prints data it queries from a server to a listbox when a user presses a start button. What I'd like to do is to have the data continually print after the button is pressed until the user presses a stop button. So, I guess I would need to initiate some kind of continuous loop for the data querying/printing, but I'm unsure how to get the stop button to break the loop. If this even the best solution. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this, or perhaps a better design idea? Thanks, Marcus Marcus wrote: > I have a small dialog that prints d...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

How do i give each email account i set up its own inbox etc?
i can create different accounts but when i send/recieve all the mail from different accouts goes to the same inbox...not good... About the best you can do is create an inbox rule that moves messages based on the account it was received with. "joejnknsn" <joejnknsn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E487FD01-2110-4BEC-930B-10590F05E885@microsoft.com... >i can create different accounts but when i send/recieve all the mail from > different accouts goes to the same inbox...not good... ...

if statement with dates #2

Windows Pro C.O.A. Question
I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed. It's used and the machine didn't come with a restore disk, and there is no restore partition. But the COA sticker is attached to the bottom of the machine. I have an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2. If I have to reinstall the operating system, can I use the OEM version and use the laptop's COA to activate Windows? I realize that I may have to hunt down drivers such as WiFi and sound if they aren't included with my OEM copy. Thanks Don wrote: > I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows X...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...

Address Book renaming contacts. (2 questions)
For WHATEVER reason Outlook 2002 - XP is renaming my contacts in my address book.. so when I try and use autocomplete it doesn't work. (Type in "Sha" to get the choice between Shadow and Sha'mer and it just gives me Sha'mer) So - gritting my teeth - I go in and change the name of the contact BACK to Shadow and it STILL doesn't register in the autocomplete. 1) How the (ahem) do I get Outlook to stop renaming my contacts? 2) How do I get it to recognize names in the autocomplete? I now have about 7 that it doesn't, and it's a royal pain. Thanks for your tim...