Question on LABEL Range

In a LABEL Range(say that it has 12 elements row-wise), how do one refer
to the 4th elements?

I have this ideas that in a worksheet, I have 12 rows single column
LABELED range called MONTHS, where 1st elements is JAN(that is C6), and
so on, and last element would be DEC(C17).

How do I get the 4th element which will be APR, and put that value in
the different cell using the LABEL reference instead of the absolute
cell location(C9)?

Thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I am not sure I understand your question? You refer to the labels with their
names, so if you want to sum the April row you use

=SUM(Apr)

Otherwise you can use INDEX(MyTable,4,1)

that will return Apr from a table called MyTable

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Sarah Tanembaum" wrote:

> In a LABEL Range(say that it has 12 elements row-wise), how do one refer
> to the 4th elements?
>
> I have this ideas that in a worksheet, I have 12 rows single column
> LABELED range called MONTHS, where 1st elements is JAN(that is C6), and
> so on, and last element would be DEC(C17).
>
> How do I get the 4th element which will be APR, and put that value in
> the different cell using the LABEL reference instead of the absolute
> cell location(C9)?
>
> Thanks

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
12/15/2004 10:57:02 PM
If the range is named Months, you can use the INDEX function to get the
fourth item. For example:  =INDEX(Months,4)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

getting data from date range
hi here is what I need. I need to run a query that picks the data i specify from this week's Monday back to and including the previous week's Monday. i need it to run this way in case the query is not run on Monday. Example: if I were to run it today, i would get data from 3/15/2010 back to and including 3/8/2010. If i run it tomorrow, I get the same data. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:53:06 -0700 (PDT), pat67 <pbuscio@comcast.net> wrote: >hi here is what I need. I need to run a query that picks the data i >specify from this w...

data range is too complex.
I am just changing over to excel 2007. . Most of my data will update to the embedded chart just fine but one tells me "the data range is too complex to be displayed. I don't know how to fix it -- Thanks for all your help. God Bless, Frank I had one like it and all I did to fix it was select the chart and right click on it, select data-> click on the icon at far right of Chart Data Range, use the mouse to select the data range, click on the icon at far right then OK. Note: If there are multiple ranges and the ranges are not adjacent, select the first range then hold the Ct...

How do I get Excel to display a range of cells with a check box?
I am trying to get excel to disply a range of cells when a check box is checked and hide them when it is not checked. bobm, I am not one of the VBA experts, but if your range is in a column and your checkbox is from the control toolbox and not from the Forms toolbar this code should work. Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() Dim i As Boolean Dim rng1 As Range Application.DisplayAlerts = False i = CheckBox1.Value Set rng1 = Range("D1:D25") 'Change to suit your needs If i = True Then rng1.EntireColumn.Hidden = True Else rng1.EntireColumn.Hidden = False End If Application.DisplayAl...

VBA Question #3
Sub sheets_list() Dim a As Long Dim s As Long Dim shtName As String s = 4 For a = 1 To Sheets.Count shtName = Sheets(a).Name Sheets(a).Hyperlinks.Add anchor:=Cells(a, s), Address:="", SubAddress:="'" _ & shtName & "'!A1", ScreenTip:=shtName, TextToDisplay:=shtName Next a End Sub My understanding is that the s = 4 determines the column where the list of worksheets should be returned, and this seems to be correct when I change the value. Also if I change a = 1 to a = 5 it starts the list in Cell D5 which is what I want. BUT......changing t...

Question--Payment and Deposit order in advance register
Hi Everyone: I just purchased MS Money 2006 and have a question on the manner transactions are posted in the advanced register. I noticed that when both payment and deposit transaction are entered on a single date, the transactions are sorted so that payments are listed first and deposits are listed last. This means that all of the previous payment transactions for that date are drawn from the account without the benefit of the deposit. So payments made against the deposit make the account appear to have insufficient funds for those transactions. Is there a setting to disable the auto...

changing the location of the x axis labels
Hello, I'm trying to make column graphs by using excel 2002. The problem is, my y axis values have some negative numbers, so the x axis labels overlap with some of the columns. Is there anyway to relocate the x axis labels while keeping the category x axis crossing at zero? Thanks! Double click on the axis. On the Patterns tab, for Tick Labels, choose the Low option. The axis will remain at zero, but the labels will move to the bottom of the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com ___...

Question on Sorting by (date, etc)
I have a column (A) which sre dates. If I select the column heading and click either the sort ascending or desending button, the date column alone sorts independent of the other eight columns that comprise the entire entry. How would I go about being able to sort by a particular column and have everything sort with it? I have other columns that I would like to sort by sometimes too, like "color", "type", etc. Thanks for reading! select all the columns and now go to data | sort . On Feb 20, 11:21=A0pm, "Ed" <2...@333.com> wrote: > I have a column...

2 questions on POS 2009. 1. Decimal places 2. Tax Calculation
I am a user of RMS 2.0, and I have 2 questions on POS 2009 1. Decimal places. How many decimal places are you allowed in the price field on the item card ? In RMS 2.0 you are allowed 2, 3 if you change the type to 'gasoline'. I am looking for 5 decimal places 2. Tax calculation. Normally you enter in the price excluding tax, and then RMS calculates the tax for you. Is there an option in POS 2009 where the price can 'include' the taxes? And then when you select the item for sale, POS 2009 would 'back calculate' to break out the taxes ? Thanks i...

MFC thread question
Hi, I've been working in a comm class lately, that uses win32 api to perform all the functions. The code was first designed without being encapsulated, and it worked perfectly. Now I want to put it inside a class, but I have problems with the thread creation process. Supose this is the class: class CComm { private: .... DWORD WINAPI serialTask(LPVOID pParam); // rx thread .... public: .... } DWORD WINAPI CComm::serialTask(LPVOID pParam) { // do all the stuff .... } And now suppose this is the creation routine: CComm::CComm() { .... // tested this, didnt work serialThread = ::Afx...

Aligning tick marks and labels on line charts or scatter charts
I have the following data: X Y 1 0.2 2 0.8 3 0.5 4 0.7 I would like to plot it using a line chart or a scatter chart with X on the horizontal axis and Y on the vertical. I would like the X range of the graph to go from 0.5 to 4.5, so that the first and last point are NOT on the extreme edges of the graph. I would like the X axis to be labelled only at 1, 2, 3 and 4. I would like a tick mark aligned with each of these labels. Is this possible in Excel? Here is what I am finding... Using a Line chart: Option 1. The range is correct (0.5 to 4.5), and the labels are correct, but the tick marks ...

Defining Print Ranges From Pivot Tables
I have a Excel Spreadsheet that contains 3 workbooks, two of which contain data, one of which contains data which my pivot table on the third workbook feeds off. When in the pivot table i have added 4 four more columns of calculations on the right hand side of the pivot table. These columns use data from the pivot table and the data sheet to perform the calculations. As the amount of data changes variably on what is selected from a field within the pivot table i have had to use iserror and isna formulas so when there is only a short table the colums to the right return blanks rather than error...

Stupid (I hope) XML questions
Ok, I have a project that is destined for continual growth and development over the next few years (benign scope creep). The object model is relatively generic at the moment, but will be extended considerably over time, mostly using inheritance. Each document will have a single element at the root and it will contain a collection of objects that are based off of a finite number of base classes. However, these objects may have numerous child classes and I can not guarantee that the child classes won't be containers themselves. References will be allowed between objects of different base typ...

corrupt database question
I have Access 2003. When I open the db, there are forms, queries, and reports missing. When I go into one of the forms that is available, the data is not accurate. For instance, I had ~ 200 files listed in a table, and only 17 showed up. Any ideas? Thanks!-- Nola Nola wrote:> I have Access 2003. When I open the db, there are forms, queries, and> reports missing. When I go into one of the forms that is available,> the data is not accurate. For instance, I had ~ 200 files listed in a> table, and only 17 showed up. Any ideas? Thanks! Somebody else may have a better idea, but I sugg...

Beginner questions about creating a sheet.
Hi all, I am having trouble learning some basic functions. So far all I can do is simple calculations. I have made a tip calculator, and growth preidictor for recruitment numbers. Howerver where can I go to get basic step by step training? I just want to create a simple sheet that contains a stage that a sale is in like (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc), the sale name and the name of the person who is buying or being cultivated. I would also like to create a sheet that has check marks that are not in the form tools. I see how I can insert those, but I also downloaded a template and it has check marks wit...

Question #2
When I send email to a group of recipients, I don't want to show the recipients' address. How can I do this ? place the names in the bcc field. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "MCA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:072b01c3d14d$e7a2f7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I send email to a group of recipients, I don't want > to show the recipients' address. > > How can I do this ? Look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 266339, which takes Neo...

"Runtime Error: Subscript Out of Range"
What the heck does this mean? If you hadn't guessed, I'm new to macros I'm getting this message when I try to run one of mine. THe macro open another workbook, copies two rows, pastes them, then copies the colo pallette, then closes the other workbook. When I ran them after writin them yesterday, they all worked fine, but now, I'm getting an error Here's the VBA (Which I know nothing about) if it will shed any light Any ideas -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

Label Syncing
Currently every label from Gmail is being synced with Live Mail. Is there a way to sync only a couple and not the others? For example: Some labels like Work, Birthdays I do not wish to sync while labels such as All Mail I do. How would I go about turning sync off for some of these labels? Hi Saberahul, Yep, we have a way for you to only sync some labels. If you are using the new beta, select your Gmail account, then go to Accounts->IMAP folders on the ribbon. From here, select any folders you don't want to sync, such as Birthdays, and click Hide. After clicking OK ...

Question (Conditional Formatting)
I have the following data below: Column A Column B 01/06/2006 07/01/2008 On column C I want excel to calculate if Column A >= Column B; then "False" else "True". How do I accomplish this? Try this: =A1<B1 -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Erlang" <newandfresh@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

SPAM in Excel General Questions
message "help' 1/7/2005 is asking for money (wife left him, etc) Hmm, my wife and kids are still with me and I need money also:-) -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Carole O" <CaroleO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:322107A9-1725-4100-B54A-4F48EA2EE231@microsoft.com... > message "help' 1/7/2005 is asking for money (wife left him, etc) ...

Question about Name Order
Hi, I'm trying to help a friend out, but I couldn't track down anything on this: When clicking on Tools > Address Book, the names are listed first name first (John Smith). When typing in the search box, it searches on the first name. Is there any way to get this to work last name first instead? I've tried going into Tools > E-Mail Accounts, clicking "View or change existing directories or address books", and changing the properties of the address book. I have also gone to Tools > Options > Preferences and clicking "Contact Options". Neither o...

Creating different labels
I am trying to print labels with the same template but with different information placed in each label. How can I make Publisher show all of the labels so I can adjust the information? Create a page the same size as your label stock, i.e., 8�"x11" Now select Arrange, Layout guides, enter the margins and gaps as the label stock, usually �" Enter number of columns and rows. Create a label and copy to all the ten cells and custom each as you wish. If you only want one or two labels, use the bottom labels first. This makes for an easier use of the upper labels. -- Don Vanco...

Two formula questions...
Question number one: (and this is a simple one I hope) were I wanting to do a COUNTA to concentrate on specific cells in increments of 10 and missing out those between, I.e A1, A11, A21 and so on...how would I do this, without overloading the formula as this needs to be repeated from 1-3000 to accomodate a years worth of data Question number two: were I using a complex formula to produce a result for cells which first qualify one criteria (Having the phrase 'GD (KT)' in it) and then correspond to a date in another: example being {=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW('2008 Errors'!$A$3:$A$300...

Percentage on x axis and period range on y axis
Hi I'm trying to plot the length of time staff have worked for a company on the y axis in ranges i.e 0-6 months, 6-12 months etc. I have a seperate column that has converted the months worked into each of these catagories. I then would like to show on the x axis the percentage of staff that fall into each period. I would certainly appreciate any assistance! Wayne Wayne Beasley wrote: > Hi > > I'm trying to plot the length of time staff have worked for a company > on the y axis in ranges i.e 0-6 months, 6-12 months etc. I have a > seperate column that has converted t...

Invoice database / report question.
Hi, I’m having problems conceptualizing the correct structure for my database and/or invoice form. I think the solution lies in both the database structure and the approach to the invoice form. So I’m going to post in both forums. I’m not quite sure how to describe my issue because it is still a bit cloudy on my part. So if I leave something out, it is because I have not connected all of the dots yet. My goal is to create an invoice in Access XP. The invoice will include one or more line items for labor, parts, and expenses (mainly mileage, tolls, etc.) We do not ma...

MFC question, writing my own ComboBox like control
Hello I am new to MFC programming and I want to do the following: I want to create my own Combobox like control, however using a CEdit. class CMyEdit : public CEdit { CListBox m_lbHistory; .. .. .. } I override both OnCreate and Create() of CMyEdit in order to get notification when the control is created, afterwards I want to create the m_lbHistory control then hide it, then later show it when user presses DOWN. 1) Why aren't Oncreate() nor Create() being called? 2) What is the proper way to create the m_lbHistory control from CMyEdit ? 3) How can I handle the messages that will...